Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
batsy

Luna Negra 2013

A shrouded embrace: blackcurrant and amber with cassis, lavender, and deep purple mogra.

Wow, I get to be first? Cool.

In the bottle: dark and sharp lavender. It burned a little at first whiff.

On the skin: On application, it's pretty much all cassis and lavender for me. To my nose it's "green"; not woodsy nor aquatic, which is what I usually mean by green, but more a "magic" green. Herbal.

Dry down: I wore this all day and while it does not have a strong throw, it decidedly stayed with me. The words that popped in my head when I catch the scent were "purple plastic", which I think is due to some deep-seated childhood memory of the scented My Little Ponies I had. This is not a bad thing! The more time that passed, the more it morphed into a purple amber, difficult to describe in words but beautiful to sniff. The lavender does not overwhelm like it can, and although I have no idea what purple mogra is, apparently it smells good to my nose.

Verdict: I'm glad I bought one bottle of this. I took a chance based on the black currant and amber and got a nice blend I'm sure I'll enjoy when I choose to wear it.

Initially on my wrist, I get a blast of a harsh !LAVENDAR! quickly followed by incense. I detect no specific blackcurrant or amber notes, but this is distinctly "purple" smelling to my nose. The scent doesn't morph on my skin after drydown other than the initial herbal harshness of the lavendar becomes toned down. I really don't detect the cassia, and I usually amp that note. There is no burn, so don't be afraid of this if you tend to get a reaction to cinnamon or cassia. This has a nice long wearability, and after an hour I am getting wafts of dark purple lavendar incense when I move my arm. I really love this, and it's going to be my new bedtime scent. Just beautiful wub2.gif

I just got this out of the mailbox and had to put it on.

The blackcurrant and amber are top notes that I smell. Its very purple scent and is in the same vein to Hellion V.2 for me. I want to bathe in this scent.

I just got this out of the mailbox and had to put it on.

The blackcurrant and amber are top notes that I smell. Its very purple scent and is in the same vein to Hellion V.2 for me. I want to bathe in this scent.

This sums it up...with a minor change: The morgra makes it a bit floral. I am aging this as I know it will be glorious in time for summer. :D

Dark lavender, currant and a hint of amber.

It's darkly fruity/lavender amber.

Nice, but not for me.

It's interesting how this seems both juicy and powdery dry at the same time. That's a nice juxtaposition between the plump purpleness of the currant and the strong astringent lavender. I was also smelling jasmine here, and Wikipedia informs me that mogra is indeed jasmine sambac, so 'yay' nose, way to go. It's a similar juicy lush realistic jasmine like the recent Sampaguita SN.

I enjoy it, but I have several lavender blends as I am a big fan, and I think I can live without a bottle of this one.

At first, more herbal and resinous, different than the previous incarnation which was more fruit heavy. Dry, ah, there's the black-currant. The whole blend smells 'purple', which is fitting, I guess, as there's a few things that are purple here. I had a bottle of the previous version, but didn't wear it enough to justify keeping it. This is not as musky, and I don't like this one as much as the first. I will hold onto my decant though, to see if things change with age.

The previous Luna Negra felt more lushly fruity and always smelled red musky to me. This version is more sharply floral and dry. The lavender smells perfumey and sharp, the fruit is understated, and the amber makes it feel dry and powdery rather than juicy and rich.

I haven't smelled any of the other luna negra versions, but this smells... dusty to me? Maybe like an ancient cave, if that makes any sense.

The lavendar is the strongest on me, and it's quite sharp, but still fruity. It's quite interesting!