Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mand

Chocolate and Cocoa, in every combination possible

hmmm...I've never tried this type of chocolate, but here is a list of some promising BPAL scents with chocolate notes:

Centzon Totochtin

Velvet

Intrigue

Boomslang

Wulric, the Wolfman

(this one is actually very foody and rich)

Kali

Vice

Bliss

Gluttony

The Candy Butcher

If you can find imps or decants of any of those, they would all be worth trying. Also, for things with a strong coconut note, maybe Obatala, Elegua, or Eden?

I'm not terribly familiar with chocolate scents, but you might want to test War from the Good Omen scents. It turned to very dark, reddish chocolate-like scent on me. It might work very well to create a Royal-like scent if you layer it with a more chocolate-y scent.

Thank you very much! I will try it ans will search for a chocolate-scent to add ... but I guess the chocolate part is not that important, because I don't get a lot of chocolate from Royal.

*sigh* And I hoped I could stay away from the Omen etc. scents ... no luck ...

Oooooooooh, chocolate.... but just a tidge...

I'd go for the drydown stage of the first 13 (Thirteen)! :P

xoxo,

Kali V.

I think I've now tried every BPAL GC (and most every LE) fragrance that contains "chocolate" or "cocoa" as a listed fragrance note. It was an interesting quest. Along the way I found several nice scents that don't seem very chocolatey but are pleasant in their own way (Velvet, Tezcatlipoca, Vice) and a few that actually did exhibit a chocolate scent on me.

Bliss was the only one that had a true chocolate scent (and stayed true) on me. Not Candy Butcher, not Boomslang, nor any of the other currently available scents. A couple of the versions of Thirteen had a reasonably lasting chocolate note in the complex mix of scents. I also seemed to catch a chocolatey note in the Smut I tried, and would like to get hold of a sample of the 2007 version.

I would also love to try Lump of Coal someday, as it has been touted as an "ultimate" chocolate scent by some.

Anyway, it has been fun. Here's to more chocolate!

hello :D

i´m pretty new & i would like to know if there is a chocolate scent that isn´t too foody.

i´m searching for a warm, cozy, even dark scent with a chocolate note which doesn´t smell exactly like the "real thing" because - even if this may sound really stupid :P - foody scents tend too make me hungry.

i smell them & suddenly i´m craving a hot chocolate (when it´s a chocolate scent) or some cookies (when it´s e.g. a vanilla scent - though i love dark, almost smoky vanilla - that doesn´t make me hungry at all :D ).

maybe i´m wrong, but on my "to-try-list" are:

- tezcatlipoca

- boomslang

it would be great if you could recommend me other scents i should try!

i´m pretty new & i would like to know if there is a chocolate scent that isn´t too foody.

I'm a chocolate wearer and I'd recommend these as scents that aren't too foody (and I like the foody):

The Tell-tale Heart - This is a swollen, pulsating, thudding scent, heavy with dread; a steady, unceasing, throbbing harbinger of retribution and doom: blood musk, cocoa, black pepper, allspice, dragon's blood resin and vetiver. Sadly this is a Limited Edition, but it was pretty popular so you can find it floating around in the swaps forums.

Velvet - Envelop yourself in the soft, sensual embrace of gentle sandalwood warmed by cocoa vanilla and a veil of deep myrrh. This is my all time favorite scent and I find it more spicy and woodsy than chocolaty.

Wulric, The Wolfman - Friendly, charming, and cuddly, but possessing one hell of a mean streak: cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus. On me, the lavender and sage come out more than anything else. The cocoa is a nice base, but it doesn't seem like a foody scent to me at all.

Boomslang seems foody to me, but I eat dark chocolates and it reminds me of a spicy dark chocolate. It might not seem foody to you if you associate light milk chocolates with food. I see it's on your list, so definitely give it a shot.

thank you for your recs :D !

i already have the tell-tale heart on my " :P hard-to-find-LE-wishlist :D ". at the moment it seems impossible to get a hold on it, but perhaps i´ll have more luck in the future.

i added velvet also to my wishlist. fortunately, that one is GC! it seems to be a wonderful scent.

regarding wulric i shy away a bit because of the lavender. don´t get me wrong, i love lavender, but up to now i only found one scent in which i loved the lavender note. mostly, it strikes me as rater masculine. & though i love unisex scents, masculine ones don´t suit me too well.

Angsting a little over Midnight Kiss....

I really like Midnight Kiss. A LOT. But I'm still waffling over whether to buy a bottle and I need some advice! I still haven't tried Kali. I have an imp of it on the way, but I feel like I really need to compare it to Midnight Kiss before I buy a bottle. My new goal is not to fall in total love with any more LEs, and Kali is GC, and both have cocoa and wine notes, and you know where I'm going with this....

SO - for anyone who's tried both Midnight Kiss and Kali: what do you think? Are they at all similar? For that matter, are there any other current GCs that are similar to Midnight Kiss? (I'm still systematically working my way through every scent with chocolate or cocoa notes).

Hello!

I would like to smell like freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies, but preferably dark chocolate chip cookies. Vanilla and chocolate prevalent, with a sweet/brown sugar smell there but not overpowering the other notes. I have ordered some imps of chocolate-note perfumes (Bliss, Gluttony, Vice), but are there any others that would more approach the baked-good smell? Should I combine with something else?

I have posted this in the chocolate thread since many of the cookie-smell perfumes I've tried are overly sweet.

Edited by miyamo

Hi miyamo! Welcome to the forum (and Recommendations).

I'd definitely put The Candy Butcher on the list - it is only available as a 5 ml bottle as it's one of the Carnaval Diabolique LEs, but you can always try to find a decant from a fellow member in the swaps/sales threads or pursue swapping your bottle away if it doesn''t work for you. It's definitely a dark chocolate scent but with a certain creaminess that makes it seem like more than just chocolate to me, like a chocolate baked good. I can't guarantee it = chocolate chip cookie, but I do think it's worth a try.

The closest thing in a single scent (i.e. no layering required) that I can think of is Lump of Coal, which smelled like brownies baking in the oven, very similar to the smell of chocolate chip cookies to my nose. I almost hate to mention it because it's incredibly scarce and hard to find, as it was only available during the Yuletide Inquisition 2 years ago, and was one of three scents you might have received if you were deemed to be naughty.

There are lots of very skilled layer-ers and combiners around here so I have a feeling you will get some good suggestions that will top mine. :P

i just wanted to give a little feedback:

today i received a decant of wulric ( i also already wrote a review about it).

it´s a wonderful scent :P though i only a get the chocolate (a dark one that smells fantastic in combinaton w/ the lavender) at the beginning.

now, after about 5 hours (has incredible lasting power), it´s a great vanilla scent that still morphs a bit.

if you like chocolate & vanilla, you should give it try!

moreover, it´s not foody at all - i think thats due to the lavender, even if it doesn´t play a big role (i smelled it only at the beginning).

i´ve also a bottle of the tell-tale heart on the way, so i´l report back when i received & tried it!

Is there a BPAL scent that smells like chocolate and strawberries? I wasn't sure, and I couldn't find anything in the searches that would work. Friend of mine absolutely LOVES these smells, and her birthday's coming up, so I was thinking of perhaps picking her up some BPAL.

BON VIVANT

"An effervescent blend of crystalline champagne notes and sweet strawberry."

(Here's the strawberry side to it, just add Bliss!?)

:P

hello :D

Any and all incarnations of 13. It's a LE that's only available around each Friday the 13th. Each formulation is different and they all have chocolate plus 13 other ingredients (or is it a total of 13 ingredients including chocolate?). Next 13 will be June 2008 (YES, that's the sort of 13 fan I am :P ) and it's not hard to find imps of the latest edition or two on the swaps forum.

Angsting a little over Midnight Kiss....

I really like Midnight Kiss. A LOT. But I'm still waffling over whether to buy a bottle and I need some advice! I still haven't tried Kali. I have an imp of it on the way, but I feel like I really need to compare it to Midnight Kiss before I buy a bottle. My new goal is not to fall in total love with any more LEs, and Kali is GC, and both have cocoa and wine notes, and you know where I'm going with this....

SO - for anyone who's tried both Midnight Kiss and Kali: what do you think? Are they at all similar? For that matter, are there any other current GCs that are similar to Midnight Kiss? (I'm still systematically working my way through every scent with chocolate or cocoa notes).

I was weeding out this thread this morning and happened to notice this post - futuregirl may have made up her mind already :P I have plenty of Kali experience but not enough Midnight Kiss experience to answer. Just thought I would bump it to see if anyone had comments!

Just browsing through this topic because I want a good chocolate scent...

I'm looking for a deep, dark chocolate scent (not milk chocolatey, so I'm not sure Bliss would be right). Vice falls by the wayside because cherry goes sickly on me. I'm kind of worried about the cream note in the Candy Butcher. any advice?

Gluttony

Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Candy Butcher

Dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone.

Bliss

A shot of pure, self-indulgent euphoria! A scent that is very, very wicked in its own way: the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate.

Just browsing through this topic because I want a good chocolate scent...

I'm looking for a deep, dark chocolate scent (not milk chocolatey, so I'm not sure Bliss would be right). Vice falls by the wayside because cherry goes sickly on me. I'm kind of worried about the cream note in the Candy Butcher. any advice?

Gluttony

Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

Candy Butcher

Dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone.

Bliss

A shot of pure, self-indulgent euphoria! A scent that is very, very wicked in its own way: the serotonin-slathered scent of pure milk chocolate.

Of the ones you list, the darkest scent on me is Gluttony (which is surprisingly non-foody on me, just so you know). It is more like dusty baking cocoa than anything else. The cream in the Candy Butcher scent behaves (at least on me) the way that all the other cream scents do, so if you don't like the cream in, say, Love's Philosophy or Beaver Moon 07 or MB: BloodyMary or any of the others that have a cream undertone, then you may not like Candy Butcher so much. The chocolate in that one is both sweet and dark, though; I like it a lot.

Bliss is definitely milk chocolatey. For me, that's heaven in a bottle.

I also really like El Dia de Reyes, which is more of a chocolate-coffee-mocha thing -- I don't know how you feel about the possible addition of coffee to your scent, but this is a spicy, slightly bitter chocolate that also has some sweetness without it being overpowering.

Centzon Totochtin! Bittersweet Mexican cocoa with rum, red wine, and a scent redolent of sacrificial blood. I don't really smell the chocolate in Gluttony, and while Candy Butcher is a good dark chocolate, I love this one more.

I'm looking for a deep, dark chocolate scent ...

The Candy Butcher has more of a dark chocolate quality than Bliss does, but both are extremely chocolaty. I'd recommend grabbing an imp of Bliss when you order again, since it's GC - then you can track down a decant of Candy Butcher and compare, and see if the creaminess works with your skin. Gluttony doesn't register as chocolate on my skin but I have this caramel-amping problem, so it turned into a very deep, nutty burnt-sugar toffee for me.

If you are interested in trying some complex and gorgeous (IMO) scents where chocolate plays an important role, I would highly recommend Kali (notes: cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus, osmanthus, dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey), Velvet (cocoa with sandalwood, myrrh and vanilla) and Boomslang (Snake Oil with cocoa, rice milk and teak).

Tezcatlipoca ended up being a really nice dark chocolate on me. I'd also recommend El Dia de Reyes, if you don't mind coffee.

I don't get any chocolate from Gluttony at all. The Candy Butcher has a kind of biscuity smell.. not sure what to make of that, but it doesn't smell as much like dark chocolate as I'd hoped.

Of the ones you list, the darkest scent on me is Gluttony (which is surprisingly non-foody on me, just so you know). It is more like dusty baking cocoa than anything else. The cream in the Candy Butcher scent behaves (at least on me) the way that all the other cream scents do, so if you don't like the cream in, say, Love's Philosophy or Beaver Moon 07 or MB: BloodyMary or any of the others that have a cream undertone, then you may not like Candy Butcher so much. The chocolate in that one is both sweet and dark, though; I like it a lot.

Bliss is definitely milk chocolatey. For me, that's heaven in a bottle.

I also really like El Dia de Reyes, which is more of a chocolate-coffee-mocha thing -- I don't know how you feel about the possible addition of coffee to your scent, but this is a spicy, slightly bitter chocolate that also has some sweetness without it being overpowering.

I thought it was cream I had a problem with, but I think it was the milk in Milk Moon that went sickly. Beaver moon was okay except that the cherries went bad, so I think I could try Candy Butcher. Except that's an unimpable, right? I'm still confused about that.

I'm going to put Bliss, Gluttony and Candy Butcher on my wishlist and see if I get to them sometime. I am staying away from Limited Editions, so none of the Dias for me :-)

Thanks for the advice everybody :P

...so I think I could try Candy Butcher. Except that's an unimpable, right? I'm still confused about that.

There's a lot to learn and there are so many more blends and categories now than there were when I was a newb *nostalgic tear*, I know it's confusing (and intimidating) for a lot of people. Here are a few tips. You can check the page titled Samples on the Lab's site for the list of the "unimpables" - currently it reads:

Limited Edition

Carnaval Diabolique (which is a subset of LE)

Lunacy Blends / Astrological Blends (also a subset of LE)

The Neil Gaiman Series

The Stardust Series

The Good Omens Series

The Shojo Beat scents (technically these are LEs as well)

Any Twilight Alchemy Lab oils

Any oils offered at Black Phoenix Trading Post (also considered LEs)

Below that you will see a few categories of more expensive oils - for these, you can purchase imps as a set but not individually. Currently those sets are for the Panacea (aromatherapy) blends, the Chakras, and the regular Salons, broken down by exhibit (LE Salons, like the current Shunga series or the world-famous Dogs Playing Poker series from last year, have not been offered in sets of samples though).

Some rules of thumb that I find to work for the most part: General Catalog blends are going to be available as imps as long as they are priced at the "across the board" price, which is currently $15.00. The GC categories that are priced higher, like the Salons and Panaceas, are likely to be offered as sets of imps. Any scents that have a charity component (currently, the Neil Gaiman, Stardust and Good Omens blends) will not have imps available. Limited Edition blends never have Lab imps available.

So you're right about Candy Butcher, because it's in the CD series no imps can be ordered from the Lab. Thousands of happy, smelly people will tell you, though, that it's not too hard to find decanted imp-sized samples of most current and lots of recent LEs in the swaps and sales forums.

You're still pretty new so you have the whole GC glittering before you - you're smart to stick to that for now, IMO. As you try different scents and figure out the notes you like the most & that work best on you, it will help you figure out whether you want to take a chance on the LEs that are offered in the future. Tracking down older LEs can be fun but it can also be very time consuming, frustrating and wallet-draining. :P

I'm resurrecting a long-dead thread for my own selfish purposes. :P

My boyfriend really loves the initial dark cocoa scent in Boomslang, but that disappears too quickly and the subsequent sweet-spicy Snake Oil drydown is a little too girly for him. I'm looking to find an intensely chocolate scent that is suitably manly for his delicate masculine sensibilities. The obvious choice seems like it would be Wulric the Wolfman (cocoa absolute, French vanilla, birch tar, lavender, bourbon vetiver, wild musk, clary sage, and cistus), but I'm concerned about the vetiver, which turns up smelling like burned peanuts in every blend I've ever tried with it. I'm going to be on the lookout for a decant on the sales forum, but are there any other dude-appropriate chocolate/cocoa blends I should try on him? GC would be spectacular, but LE is fine too. We've already tried Tezcatlipoca (too much patchouli after it dries) and Centzon Totochtin (cedar shavings and cheap chocolate).

Thanks for any help!

I'm resurrecting a long-dead thread for my own selfish purposes. :D

your resident moderator loves you for doing it! :P

So many of the chocolate and cocoa blends are decidedly foodie-yummy to the point a guy might run away, but I wonder about that April 2007 version of Thirteen. Not to send you on a crazy goose chase through the swaps forums if you don't have it on hand, but it was very different than its cousins to me - deeper, more herbal and less sweet.

Intrigue is a very unusual cocoa blend (description: black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes), another one that is dry and nothing like candy. And maybe The Great Sword of War? It has a lot of serious fans! The notes are mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.