Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
elka_knits

Snow Moon 2012

SNOW MOON 2012
In December, the skeletal, ice-rimmed fingers of winter take hold, and the nights are long, chill and dark. The first flurries of snow touch the land, and the earth itself becomes quiet. A scent of purity and silence, soft with falling snow, as dark as Midwinter: an icy flurry over the winter blooms of narcissus, hellebore, pansy crocus, dahlia, tulip, chrysanthemum, daphne and white rose, with a hint of fir and birch.

Just finished decanting this for group and smeared pipette, after I was done, on my arm for testing purposes. At first it is all fir or pine or juniper or balsam or you know that family of stuff that I just don't wear. After about half an hour I started to get something sweet and floral.... almost fruity ... and since then it has softened considerably into a frosted gentle floral with a hint of lemon or ummm orange or something. I am so glad the fir faded. I also am not getting snow as I know it. Not the slushy or minty or anything but there is a delicate blanket of frost there ... creating lovely shadows and light. It is kinda like looking out a frosted window admiring the laciness of it all into a winter gray sky that somehow miraculously has the snow glinting and sending out sparkles to brighten up the gloom

I tend to go for more floral scents myself but once again I am wowed by the labs skill. Kudos

So I have the 2005 version of this, and it is one of my very favorites. It was nice to be able to purchase another bottle so that I don't have to be so sparing with it!

My 2012 bottle arrived in the middle of a Nor'easter, so I had a chance to slather it on and go out in the snowfall. Wonderful sensory overload.

Snow Moon begins with a blast of fir and birch, but dries down to sweet and soft florals, with a faintly rosy heart. I notice the only difference in the note list between this and the '05 version is daphne...to my nose, the only palpable change is that this bottle is fresher and ever so slightly more floral than my 2005 one. I appreciate this, because it smells a little less Christmas candle-y and is therefore more universally wearable.

If you would like one of Beth's "snow" blends without smelling too much like candy or straight-up pine trees, this is absolutely the blend for you. I am typically a resin and resiny-floral wearer, so this is very nice as a change of pace. Also, a lot of the other snow blends have gone plastic-y on my skin, and this one never has - it remains fresh and balanced and totally magical.

*And from my experience with the '05 bottle, Snow Moon is also lovely as a cool-down in the summer. :)

Edited by LadyMedb

This is mostly a cold, piney scent on me. A few minutes after the drydown, I get some faint florals but mostly it is pine and snow. Very Christmasy/Yule. Definitely not as floral as I was expecting it to be, I think my skin amps pine.

In the bottle: A cool piney forest, with some flowers lurking under those snow flurries.

Wet: The piney woods are very determined to make their presence known.

The dry-down: As this dries down, the pine forest starts to recede in the face of a lovely floral bouquet that has only been lightly touched by snow. (This is not the minty snow note, but the icy one, which is my fave of the two.) Do not let that initial blast of pine frighten you away! The artwork on the bottle is as elegant as the scent itself. :)

This is my first "cold" scent. :smile:

It smells exactly like walking through a snowy forest when I first put it on. Then it turns into a snowy forest filled with flowers and berries.

It's very Christmasy. When my sister, who didn't know anything about the scent except the name, smelled it she said, "...Christmas!"

I agree with the previous reviewer, this scent is magical. :wub2:

In the bottle, it immediately remind be of Nocnitsa (now discontinued). I went to look up at the description of that scent to find the culprit: fir! It’s a positive thing as I was a fan of that scent! I also get sweet notes and flowers (I can’t really identify them).

Wet on skin, the flowers comes out more, followed by a crisp, icy scent! It’s beautiful!

Once dry, I get a very sweet and white floral scent. The fir is still present, somewhere in the background, far away into that icy forest.

I’m really unable to discern specific notes here, but it’s a very nice scent!

Edited by laforetnoire

Everything I hoped it would be, snow and sweetness, with forest.

I don't wear the snows this time of year, this one gets banked with the other snows for summer, it's so amazing in summer to have the coolness of the snow things.

Ah, this one does really make me think Ice Queen, the male version.

It's got that same slushy sweet snow note that Monastery in the Mountains, Cloister Graveyard in the Snow and Ice Queen have. It's got pine, and menthol (esp. on wet) and berries. It smells like a male ice forest fairy.

... OR in Game of Thrones references... this smells like the Others. Icy, snowy, stark landscapes, brittle, frozen pine forests, and blood red berries.

Winter is coming.

... (in both senses...)

Ohhhhhhh yeahhhhhhh. ;)

This smells similar to a lot of bpal's ice blends. This one has a bit more floral going on, though it's a 'nice' floral. I happen to enjoy chrysanthemum, so maybe why this is working on me. Cold, icy, slightly sweet and dry mum's and cold berries. I rather like this, and will enjoy this is the more warmer months.

Light white flowers bathed in the classic BPAL snow note: a bit minty, a bit musky, soft and chill. Under the florals is a nice woodsy base, kind of a dusty wooden floor smell. As it dries, it takes on a golden, almost creamy aspect, yellow and white florals that manage to keep a crisp winter vibe and don't get too soapy. Very pretty and seasonal.

On me, this is slightly sweet, slushy, cool snow note & pine with a drydown that smells a bit like soapy white floral.

Edited by Little Bird