Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
batsy

Beaver Moon 2012

Traditionally, Beaver Moon is named thus for a very obvious reason: during this time of year, beavers are hard at work building their dams and preparing for the onset of winter. However, we at BPAL rarely let an opportunity for sleazy campiness pass us by! For your pleasure and amusement, we present this year's incarnation of Beaver Moon: gooey apple cheesecake!

Having owned this blend for over 1 year, i use it sparingly since there aren't many proper occasions for me to wear it.

I mainly get on my skin the cheesecake pastry base, which reminds me a bit of Cockaine, but not entirely so. The top notes, the apple and cinnamon wear off fast and i'm left with the base pastry drydown.

Starts off lovely, like gooey apple pie filling poured over graham crackers. :wub2: Buuut then the apple note calms down in the drydown and the cake goes stale, which sometimes happens with cake blends. At the same time there's a slightly spiced creaminess that's making the blend still somewhat bearable despite the staleness. The spice becomes a little stronger once dry, and further on the gooey apple pokes its head out again, but that stale note is still there, booo.

Wish my skin chem was kinder to cake blends, because I can sense the deliciousness in this blend. This is something I'll have to try in my scent locket, for sure!

Gooey apple cheesecake indeed! Wet, I get the apple cheesecake as a whole, with apple and "crust" and "cream cheese" all playing together. Once it dries, my apple-amping skin makes this mostly sweet, syrupy apple in the throw, while closer up there's a bit of "burnt cookies" note that I sometimes get from cakey blends (for example, Cthulhustollen does this too). But I don't actually mind all that much, as the throw is really nice and this is a sweet, comforting, fun blend for when you just want to smell yummy.

I had the original version of Beaver Moon (2005 I think?) and it was all graham cracker crumb crust on me.

I had hoped that 2012 with it's apples would be less one-note and more balanced.

Wet, I do get apples and cinnamon along with the graham cracker, but still no actual cheesecake note.

Dry, it's pretty much still all graham cracker. I think there's a faint whiff of cinnamon left. *sigh*. I don't think I love it. I dunno if I'll keep it. Maybe Beaver Moons are just not for me....

Just getting around to reviewing this now, I've had my bottle since 2012 and use it sparingly because I love it so! Gooey apple filling mixes with cheesecake to make this such a yummy scent. I don't get much crust in this one. My favorite foody scent by far. Literally almost every time I wear it someone says, "oh my gosh, what's that smell? Oh, yum! What is that?". And then proceed to sniff me with smiles and rolled back eyes. My coWorkers never fail to recognize Beaver Moon and say "you're wearing that delicious perfume again, aren't you?". My most complimented perfume.

I was over the moon to find a decant of this on ebay paired up with some other decants I wanted to try, and it did not disappoint!

In the imp: intensely sweet apple-pie filling and cheesecake. So delicious it makes me want to drink it.

Wet: More apple than cheesecake. A hint of spices, but only a hint. A bit more would have been nice.

Dry: The cheesecake trades places with the apple. With my nose against my skin I can smell that "dusty wood" note someone else mentioned. I suspect that's the cinnamon keeping the rest of the scent from running away, but not doing a whole lot of anything on its own as it's not in the air around me at all. I guess the cinnamon did not age well, though the rest of it definitely did.

Better throw than I would have expected, and my skin is being very kind about not eating it too fast. This is the first Beaver Moon I've had a chance to try, and I can't wait to try more!

Wet: Cinnamon and cheesecake. Where you hiding, apple?

Dry: More cinnamon than cheesecake, and still no apple. :( To be fair, my skin amps the crap out of cinnamon at times, so you may have better luck!