Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
MissVLane

Tried Carnival Wax? BPAL suggestions needed!

Signed up to BPAL Madness today, as I am obsessed with perfume oils, and after my first FULL MOON OPEN HOUSE / Will Call, I am HOOKED! I happily came away from Dark Delicacies with Snake Oil (surprise, right?), Tombstone, and Lyonesse last week, and now need more, More, MORE!

I am a big fan of Carnival Wax scents, namely Jack of Aces, Druglord, Deathtrap, Clowncake, Pearl, Dreabilly, & Pirate's Dream...in that order, I think. I also really like Sage Machado's "ONYX" & Arcana's "DEVILISH"...there are more, I am just in a bit of a rush.

I gravitate towards scents that have the following notes: Bourbon, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Cream, Wood (like Eagleswood) Coconut, Tonka, MUSK, Amber, Butter, Booze (usually of the brown variety), Spice, Smoke, Patchouli (as long is not the strongest note), Pepper, Ash, Sugar (Marshmallow, Burnt, Brown, Toasted et al), Sweet, Salt, Sex, Gourmand

I DO NOT LIKE: Pine, Balsam, Rose - Most Florals are a no go, Mint, Fruit, Citrus (unless it is SUPER LIGHT), "Green" notes or anything overly herbally, "Aquatic" notes (salty sea/briny - exceptions), Berry, Strong herb/medicine like notes. I will add to this list, so stay tuned.

I was told SMUT was the scent for me, but how do I get my mitts on it?

I am sure there are things I need to add to the likes/not likes list, so until I do, if you need to ask some questions in order to assist me, shoot.

Thank you in advance for your time, efforts, PATIENCE, and HELP!!!

Edited by MissVLane

Signed up to BPAL Madness today, as I am obsessed with perfume oils, and after my first FULL MOON OPEN HOUSE / Will Call, I am HOOKED! I happily came away from Dark Delicacies with Snake Oil (surprise, right?), Tombstone, and Lyonesse last week, and now need more, More, MORE!

I am a big fan of Carnival Wax scents, namely Jack of Aces, Druglord, Deathtrap, Clowncake, Pearl, Dreabilly, & Pirate's Dream...in that order, I think. I also really like Sage Machado's "ONYX" & Arcana's "DEVILISH"...there are more, I am just in a bit of a rush.

I gravitate towards scents that have the following notes: Bourbon, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Cream, Wood (like Eagleswood) Coconut, Tonka, MUSK, Amber, Butter, Booze, Spice, Smoke, Patchouli (as long is not the strongest note), Pepper, Ash, Sugar (Burnt, Brown, Toasted et al), Sweet, Salt, Sex

I DO NOT LIKE: Pine, Balsam, Rose - Most Florals are a no go, Mint, Fruit, Citrus (unless it is SUPER LIGHT), "Green" notes or anything overly herbally, "Aquatic" notes. I will add to this list, so stay tuned.

I am sure there are things I need to add to the likes/not likes list, so until I do, if you need to ask some questions in order to assist me, shoot.

OMG, you are my scent twin! :wub2: I would also recommend O, Haunted, TKO, and Velvet and Morocco! Gosh there are hundreds more, but those are off the top of my head...

Hmm... Elegba, Fenris Wolf, Scherezade, and Eclipse would be my General Catalogue picks for you to take a peek at. :) I'd also saw Crowley, but that is un-impable.

I know it's not nice to get someone addicted to a Limited Edition scent, but I have to share the awesomeness that is White Peacock. It's still available from the lab in the Metamorphosis section of the Limited Editions and you can buy it until September 4. The notes are Teak, ebony wood, osmanthus, patchouli, red sandalwood, vanilla orchid, tonka bean, tobacco, wild musk, spikenard, and sugandh kokila. and it the most amazing woodsy, musky vanilla scent ever.

As for General Catalogue, I wholeheartedly second Morocco and also recommend Love Me, Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener (this goes on like root beer and then morphs into a drop dead sexy vanilla on me), Goblin (heavy on patchouli, but awesome) and Bordello. I had Lyonesse on this list then noticed you already bought that one! :lol:

A couple that came to mind while reading your list of likes:

*The Antikythera Mechanism (Steamworks) - "Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco."

*Perversion (Ars Amatoria) - "Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka."

*Rumpelstilzchen (Marchen) - "Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh."

Kattharia, csabreo, Andalei, and Little Bird - THANK YOU SO MUCH for your extremely helpful insight and suggestions. I am almost finished with my 'homework', searching all of the bpal titles you four listed, and have already started a YES/maybe/Naw list and a Questions list. I also need to revise my initial post to include some notes I forgot and a few other details that should serve to make suggestions a bit more accurate/streamlined. I will have a full report for you tomorrow. Your time and help is so extremely appreciated, and WILL be rewarded, darn it!

I invite more of you bpal lovers to include your thoughts, feedback, and opinions...

Thus far, I am THOROUGHLY IMPRESSED!

THANK YOU!!!

I gravitate towards scents that have the following notes: Bourbon, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Cream, Wood (like Eagleswood) Coconut, Tonka, MUSK, Amber, Butter, Booze, Spice, Smoke, Patchouli (as long is not the strongest note), Pepper, Ash, Sugar (Burnt, Brown, Toasted et al), Sweet, Salt, Sex

I DO NOT LIKE: Pine, Balsam, Rose - Most Florals are a no go, Mint, Fruit, Citrus (unless it is SUPER LIGHT), "Green" notes or anything overly herbally, "Aquatic" notes. I will add to this list, so stay tuned.

OMG, you are my scent twin! :wub2: I would also recommend O, Haunted, TKO, and Velvet and Morocco! Gosh there are hundreds more, but those are off the top of my head...

Kattharia - O is most certainly on my list. Morocco as well. There was something about Velvet that wasn't quite right, but I only smelled it straight out of the bottle, not applied to my skin. TKO mentioned lavender, so that may be lower on the imp list. Do you get a lot of lavender from TKO or more vanilla?

A couple that came to mind while reading your list of likes:

*The Antikythera Mechanism (Steamworks) - "Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco."

*Perversion (Ars Amatoria) - "Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka."

*Rumpelstilzchen (Marchen) - "Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh."

Little Bird - I love that you listed The Antikythera Mechanism as I ALMOST bought it at the will call, but, regretfully, had to limit my purchases to 3 (Snake Oil, Tombstone, & Lyonesse). Doh! You are right on the money with that one! Perversion is on the imp list, however, I am a bit concerned about the chardonnay note. After reading the reviews, it doesn't seem to really be that much of a factor, but thought I should ask you if you have tried it personally.

I forgot to mention this little factoid: The ladies of BPAL guaranteed I would love SMUT when they were helping me at Dark Delicacies, but I gather that is no longer available. Is it even possible to get a bottle of this anymore, or should I just aim for an imp?

I know it's not nice to get someone addicted to a Limited Edition scent, but I have to share the awesomeness that is White Peacock. It's still available from the lab in the Metamorphosis section of the Limited Editions and you can buy it until September 4. The notes are Teak, ebony wood, osmanthus, patchouli, red sandalwood, vanilla orchid, tonka bean, tobacco, wild musk, spikenard, and sugandh kokila. and it the most amazing woodsy, musky vanilla scent ever.

As for General Catalogue, I wholeheartedly second Morocco and also recommend Love Me, Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener (this goes on like root beer and then morphs into a drop dead sexy vanilla on me), Goblin (heavy on patchouli, but awesome) and Bordello. I had Lyonesse on this list then noticed you already bought that one! :lol:

Any reason why I can't find White Peacock in the list of perfume titles when attempting to add a new perfume to my wishlist/inventory? I don't think I will be forgetting this gem, as it sounds right up my nostril alley, but it would be nice to add it, just in case.... Am I missing something obvious here?

Any reason why I can't find White Peacock in the list of perfume titles when attempting to add a new perfume to my wishlist/inventory? I don't think I will be forgetting this gem, as it sounds right up my nostril alley, but it would be nice to add it, just in case.... Am I missing something obvious here?

White Peacock is here on the Limited Editions page......is this what you meant?

I'll second Antikythera Mechanism - it's beautiful!

Also:

For sugar and wood you may like Kill Devil (Bewitching Brews) - Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey. (it's not discussed much but I really like it, it's especially sultry on a steamy hot day)

For sandalwood and coconut you may like Brown Jenkins (A Picnic in Arkham) - dusty white sandalwood and orris root, dry coconut husk, creeping musk, and the residue of ceremonial incense. - it's a dry cosy sort of coconut

For a more sultry coconut you may like Black Pearl (Bewitching Brews) - Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk.

and..when the Carnival comes back you may like Madame Moriarty - Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, patchouli leaf and wild plum. - I don't find the patchouli to be very strong. This one isn't impable but you may be able to find decants in sales/swaps.

I forgot to mention this little factoid: The ladies of BPAL guaranteed I would love SMUT when they were helping me at Dark Delicacies, but I gather that is no longer available. Is it even possible to get a bottle of this anymore, or should I just aim for an imp?

Smut comes back with the Lupercalia scents in February (at least I hope it does so again, I need more!) Until then you might find a decant or bottle on the Sales or Swaps pages. It is one of my two 'can't do without' scents. I also thoroughly recommend Crowley :D

If you're using the "My Stash" feature to keep your wishlist organized, it's pretty out of date (since before the Yule update at least) and White Peacock is a very new Limited Edition so it won't be there unfortunately.

If you're using the "My Stash" feature to keep your wishlist organized, it's pretty out of date (since before the Yule update at least) and White Peacock is a very new Limited Edition so it won't be there unfortunately.

Because of this, I keep my wishlist and inventory offline, just jotting down the name, notes, and any thoughts I have. Then I can google the blends when it comes time to make an order, if I want to take a peek at the reviews again. "bpal [blend title]" always has the forum's review thread appear first. (not with the quotation marks, when making the search) :)

Edited by Dusk

You have gotten some great recommendations and I think we are also scent twins!

Since you already bought Snake Oil, I highly recommend Tombeur in the VILF section. Also seconding the Mme. Moriarty when the Carnival returns.

I am anxious to purchase bpal on Amazon (I have a credit balance) and I have to narrow it down to ONLY 2 out of the following:

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener (the idea of smelling like a rootbeer float is actually pleasing)

Dorian - (The fougere, or fern, is giving me pause)

Black Pearl - (The iris in the description concerns me)

O - (Should a Domina really wear a scent by this name? Is this more honey or more vanilla?)

I had already eliminated Dorian, but since I am now seeking the advice of extremely knowledgeable, sexy bpal madness members, I figured I would toss 'him' back in and see what sort of educated advice/suggestions I receive. Afterall, I trust you Connoisseurs & Devotees implicitly. I am rather confident that Sassafras will be one of the two selections, so now, based on my note preferences located at the top of the page, I hope those of you who are familiar with the other three can confidently select a 2nd choice.

As always, those who are kind enough to give my conundrum some serious consideration will likely find themselves rewarded for such effort and kindness!

Ok, I love Carnival Wax and I love Dreabilly and wear it often. I also love Sassafras Strengthener and I love Dorian. So, do what you will with that little bit of information. :)

I gravitate towards scents that have the following notes: Bourbon, Vanilla, Sandalwood, Tobacco, Cream, Wood (like Eagleswood) Coconut, Tonka, MUSK, Amber, Butter, Booze (usually of the brown variety), Spice, Smoke, Patchouli (as long is not the strongest note), Pepper, Ash, Sugar (Marshmallow, Burnt, Brown, Toasted et al), Sweet, Salt, Sex, Gourmand

I DO NOT LIKE: Pine, Balsam, Rose - Most Florals are a no go, Mint, Fruit, Citrus (unless it is SUPER LIGHT), "Green" notes or anything overly herbally, "Aquatic" notes (salty sea/briny - exceptions), Berry, Strong herb/medicine like notes. I will add to this list, so stay tuned.

I was told SMUT was the scent for me, but how do I get my mitts on it?

I love all of these scents, too! I agree with the O, Velvet, and Morocco recommendations, and add these, my favorites are limited editions, but the rest are general catalogue... A Variety of Pleasing Amusement (Shunga, Lupercalia lim. ed.), Red Lace, Pink Lace (Dark Delicacies lim. ed.s), Fairy Wine (Neil Gaiman, Stardust), Cockaigne (Wanderlust), Eden, Port Royal, Black Pearl (Bewitching Brews), How Doth the Little Crocodile (Mad Tea Party), Eat Me, Drink Me, Alice's Evidence, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Miskatonik University (Picnic in Arkham), Bien Loin D'Ici (Amatoria). You may also enjoy a brand called Solstice Scents. They do these types of fragrances very well, too. :)

I am anxious to purchase bpal on Amazon (I have a credit balance) and I have to narrow it down to ONLY 2 out of the following:

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener (the idea of smelling like a rootbeer float is actually pleasing)

O - (Should a Domina really wear a scent by this name? Is this more honey or more vanilla?)

I had already eliminated Dorian, but since I am now seeking the advice of extremely knowledgeable, sexy bpal madness members, I figured I would toss 'him' back in and see what sort of educated advice/suggestions I receive. Afterall, I trust you Connoisseurs & Devotees implicitly. I am rather confident that Sassafras will be one of the two selections, so now, based on my note preferences located at the top of the page, I hope those of you who are familiar with the other three can confidently select a 2nd choice.

As always, those who are kind enough to give my conundrum some serious consideration will likely find themselves rewarded for such effort and kindness!

I'd vote for Sassafras plus Dorian, personally. It sounds like you like vanilla scents, and I think Dorian will appeal to you. I find O more of a honey scent.

O is definitely a rich honey scent to me, I love it, and it layers gorgeously with spicy wood scents (O layered with Aureus is like sex in a cedar chest)...I can't wear Dorian because I think it has white musk in there, which is an absolute death note on me. It smells pretty until I get it on, then it's awful. :ack:

I gravitate personally toward ambers, woods, and some fruit, so I'd add to your 'to try' list:

Intrigue: Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes. For me this is a soft, woody coconut.

Aureus: No notes listed, but for me it's a spicy, not-quite-cedar wood scent.

The Lion: A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious.

Anne Bonny: A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense

If you like peach, I strongly suggest snagging an imp of Alglaea at some point. Three golden ambers, bright musk, peach wine and myrtle.

Banshee Beat might be something fun to try if you can get a decant off the forums or something, it tends to be either a love or hate scent. (vanilla, hemp, and patchouli)

Also, did anyone direct you to the sales/swaps section of the forums yet? You can usually find a lot of stuff there, especially imps and decants. If you use the search box and type in something like smut in the sales subforum, it should pop up posts of people who have some to sell.

My votes: Dorian and O.

I notice no fern in Dorian and don't recall any reviews saying it is heavy on it. It's white musk, vanilla and tea (in that order on me.) It seems to be one of BPAL's most popular scents, an almost universally loved fragrance you can hardly go wrong with.

O is honey, amber, and vanilla (in that order on me) and smells a lot better aged.

SSS I don't think I've tried, but I don't like root beer so there's no way that would be a personal scent of mine. :)

Black Pearl is 'eh' on me.