Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Floria

Incensy Florals

I'm making up a wishlist for my second order, and I love the smell of incense and flowers (this is probably my inner hippie chick). Hymn and Sybaris were lovely on me, Athens was mostly honey, and something in Sheol did not work with my skin chemistry.

Any recommendations for florals combined with incense blends, resins, sandalwood, and/or patchouli? Bonus points if the floral aspect doesn't focus on rose. (I like roses, but my shopping list has plenty of rose blends already and I want to branch out.)

Apart from whatever it was that made Sheol go wrong, I don't know of any notes my skin hates, although I suspect it's ambivalent about heliotrope (Eclipse = fine, Lolita = a bit harsh until the dry-down, then lovely, Sheol = ick), and strong cinnamon makes my wrists turn bright pink.

You have to try Morgause - it's a gorgeous, regal incense and violet blend.

Also, The Caterpillar (carnation, jasmine and incense) and Medea (poppy, night-blooming flowers, and incense). The Caterpillar has a strong hippy chick vibe. Medea on the other hand smells like the smoky den of a sword-and-sorcery villainess.

Hope that helps!

Incense+Florals is not something I normally look for, so I'm sure someone else will be able to give you good recommendations, but I did happen to try one the other day that was a light white floral+sandalwood in the beginning, and then incense all the way on the drydown- Ronin. Incense isn't one of the notes, and it might just be my skin doing weird things, but I just wanted to throw it out there because it matched your criteria of "floral but not rose" ;) Good luck on your search!

I'll count blends containing resins as "incense-y" here.

Ladon is beautiful hyacinth with dragon's blood resin.

The hundred-headed dragon that guards the garden of the Hesperides: dragon’s blood resin, golden apple, apple blossom, white musk and hyacinth.

You might also enjoy Dragon's Reverie:

Opium-laced dreams of flame, plunder, power and fury: dragon’s blood resin, poppy, amber and ylang ylang.

Event Horizon is a lovely thick, smoky, wafting orchid scent:

A disconcerting scent, heavy and oppressive, through which no light, no matter, and no spirit can escape. Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin.

This one is not as obviously incense-y as the others, but the iris in this is pretty spectacular and the sandalwoods and the myrrh provide an incense-like anchor: Nefertiti

“The Beautiful One Is Come”. Egyptian iris and olibanum with red and white sandalwood, soft myrrh and a breath of North African herbs.

err I love spellbound for an incensey floral... but that is rose

The grindhouse was another <3 and thats more iris and other things.

Also found tabula smaragdina to be an incensey floral, even tho just incense is listed

I'd definitely recommend Scherezade for a beautiful floral incense.

The Witch Queen from Neil Gaiman's Stardust is a lovely floral/incense blend, although I do get a lot of fruitiness from it as well:

Wild plum, red musk, tuberose, calla lily, heliotrope, pimento, ylang ylang and beeswax beneath a dark haze of sinister purple-hued incense smoke.

Unfortunately it's un-impable, but I do see decants for sale pretty frequently.

I have to second Scherezade - it's a beautiful floral incense, and in my opinion, it's the best of that type in the GC. I also love Al-Azif, which is described as a sinister incense, but it's a soft, slightly sweet incense. :wub2:

Scherezade is awesome, but I don't get floral from it -- on me it's all red musk and nag champa. A similar blend, which is more floral (to my nose, anyway) is Spellbound -- it is like rose-y incense without being too rosy.

Midnight on the Midway is a gorgeous dark floral incense blend, but as a discontinued LE it is somewhat hard to find. Ditto Chrysanthemum Moon and Gypsy Queen.

French Love is not terribly incense-y, but a beautiful bright floral musk with a dragon's blood note.

A few others worth investigating are Vixen, Kubla Khan, Xiuhtecutli, L'Ecole des Filles, Le Serpent Qui Danse, Lorelei, The Harlot's House, Masquerade, Horreur Sympathique, Sacred Whore of Babylon, Vechernyaya, Marguerite.

Totally agree with these previous recommendations:

Phantom

Xiuhtecuhtli

Medea

Two of my favorite floral incense scents are discontinued, but you might find something in swaps/sales:

Marae: Vanilla orchid, Monoi tiare, gardenia, and light incense.

All Saints: Monastic frankincense and myrrh, Damascus rose, Russian gardenia, cassia, and lily of the valley wafting on a chill Autumn wind.

From the CD -

Blasphemare Reliquary: Ethiopian myrrh, Damascus rose, boswellia, galbanum, and copal.

Eshe: Embalming herbs, black myrrh, white sandalwood, black orchid, paperwhites, tomb dust, and Moroccan jasmine.

(the above were both very incensey on me, but balanced out with a pretty floral sweetness)

I also like:

Eros: Myrrh, lilac, and honey wine with crimson tea leaf and sweet resins.

Arcana: Frankincense, rosemary, lavender, neroli, and verbena.

I immediately thought of Liz: A light, feminine vanilla floral perfume and a swirl of smoke and leather.

It was all floral incense on me.

Too bad it's discontinued, but Midnight on the Midway was also gorgeous.

Edited by rawgirl75

I looooove floral-incense/resin blends. :yum: My recommendations are: The Ecstacy of St Theresa, Mme. Moriarty, Three Brides, Ashlultum, Kaidan, Mama-ji, The Velvets. They're all in the GC but unimpable though *meep* The Arbor (Lupercalia LE) is also gorgeous.

Darkness is the first thing that comes to mind when I think incensey floral. It's my favorite, a smoky dark floral.

Sign in to follow this