Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Whip leather, cardamom, patchouli, and bourbon.

I was so excited to try this after years of dreaming of a spicy, creamy, leathery blend so I recently bought a bottle on the forum. I love the Lab's leather note and am beyond disappointed that I can't detect any leather in Spanked! Instead, I got dusty cinnamon. So much cinnamon in fact, that it made my skin burn and and after washing it off my skin is all dried out and irritated on the place where I put the oil. I thought about keeping this and seeing if maybe I like it after it ages, but Spanked is likely headed off to swaps...

I am going through my stash and retesting now that my daughter is 3 and my nose has changed considerably. However, it doesn't appear as though I ever reviewed this one! I don't know how it slipped through the net, but here goes. In the imp it smells like sour patchouli, I don't know how old this is so I wonder if it has turned. Only testing a tiny bit based on that sniff! It smells really fake, like a new plastic toy. A bit of cinnamon comes through as it starts to dry, making my mouth water. It's starting to smell like Big Red chewing gum or Atomic Fireballs, yum! I mean "yum" in an, "I want to eat it" way, not a wearing way! Not one I will wear again, but I enjoyed testing it!

The patchouli and cardamom are what come through strongest, only the cardamom smells like cinnamon instead of cardamom, sadly. This smells like Christmas. Sexy Christmas! Christmas sex? I don't know. I want it as a room scent, and if the Post releases this as an atmo again, I am all over it, but I don't think I want to wear it, I like Sin better. I think the bourbon in this is what turns it into Christmas tart burner. Or something.

Spanked Revisited is my sex goddess comfort scent. Cardamom is my favorite spice note, and it's beautiful here, blending with the leather. At first, that's it, cardamom and leather, and frankly, that's enough, I would love it at that. But then the husky bourbon comes in, just sweetening things up in a very sexy way, plus a hint of patch as kind of a backbone. So it's warm and snuggly and makes me feel at ease in my own skin, and from that ease comes sensual confidence.

The throw is very low on me, so this isn't a Snake Oil that announces your goddesshood to the rest of the world, but it means that I can wear this absolutely anywhere and channel my inner Astarte without overpowering anyone else in the room. It doesn't last as long as I like, but now that I have a bottle and not just half a stingily hoarded decant, I can douse myself and reapply at will. I absolutely love this one.

I love cardamom, so I was curious about trying this. Sadly, it pulled an Alone on me.... which is to say that I get a fuckton of cinnamon and no cardamom whatsoever. The cinnamon in this is very reminiscent of Plunder, and I get a little bit of bourbon, leather, and patchouli in the background, but mostly, it's a cinnamonfest. I thought the cinnamon would calm down after several hours, but nope. It's still going strong.

I was so hoping for cardamom. :(

Edited by doomsday_disco

In the bottle: Spicy and sharp and tough in a good way. I get the leather first, followed by cardamom, then the patchouli and bourbon almost at the same time. 

On my skin:

Wet, leather and cardamom is almost peppery. If you told me it was cinnamon red hots without the sugar, I'd believe you. Oh, and, good times. Cardamom is definitely causing a skin reaction. As it dries, it's still cardamom and leather, spicy and not sweet but just the tiniest bit fuzzy from the leather note.

This actually stays pretty stable on me. I do occasionally get whiffs of bourbon rounding out the scent. That I don't explicitly get patchouli isn't too odd given the scent's age and the strength both leather and cardamom usually have on me. 

It's a very tough kind of scent. The spiciness reminds me of Plunder, but it doesn't have Plunder's softening tea note. This is all dominance, all the time.  

This scent is about 10 years old now and it has aged very well. Keep in mind that my review of this scent is for the aged version and not the fresh version, just in case bpal makes some more bottles of this in the future.

This started out really spicy, the sweet kind of spicy. Like strong cinnamon. Not the cheap generic kind but the more expensive kind that is both stronger and spicyer but also sweeter. It is like a good cinnamon combined with a good cardamom. Cinnamon might not be listed as a note but it is still possible that it is in there.

Like the spice I also smelled something sweet, right of the bat. Like maybe some vanilla and musk. The sweetness feels fresh somehow. After dry-down I start to smell the leather a bit and after reading the scent discription I realise the sweetness comes from the bourbon and the muskyness from the patchouli.

It takes a good 30 minutes or perhaps even a little longer, before the spice backs down a bit and shares the limelight with the rest of the notes. It becomes a nicely balanced scent. I can smell the sweet spicyness, a light leather and a sweet bourbon (it reminds me of a bourbon called Four Roses). Those notes I can actually pick out in the scent. The patchouli I can't pick out but it is definitely there rounding out the scent.

This scent has a strong throw and a long wear and is suitable for all genders. This is my first leather scent and it is very unique. It makes me feel strong, confident, sensual and sexy. Both because I like the way it smells and you will automatically feel better about yourself when you like how you smell and also because of the associations with the name and because of the leather note.

It is a little like you have a saucy secret. Depending on how the scent makes you feel you could still wear this to work, family gatherings and around children. Just be prepared to answer when people ask you what scent you are wearing.

This scent burnt and made my skin red for about 15 minutes but after that, both the burning and the redness went away and I had no lasting skin issues.)

Like all BPAL scents I feel this is great for all genders, nothing is masculine or feminine, it is whatever and however it makes you feel. In the same way all BPAL scents are also innocent and sensual at the same time because it depends on the wearers personality, mood and vibe. And it is suitable for all ages (most BPAL scents are in my opinion, perhaps only the ones with alcoholic notes and tobacco/smoke notes are not).) 

Edited by Freya778
Added another paragraph

Pretty sure my imp is the revisited version, it doesn't have a date. I don't know what is causing it, but this smells sweet? Like a boozy sweetness with a touch of leather. Interesting, not what I expected at all. Patchouli is pretty strong as well, leather is the faintest note and doesn't really shine until it's dry. Not detecting any cardamom. 

Not my thing, but I think I would like this better on someone else. 

Wow. Okay, I assumed this was a cinnamon blend, a very smooth, sweet, Ceylon cinnamon blend. It reminds me a little bit of Hata, but it's milder, or Sarah, Mother Bear from the Pretty Deadly's. 

The leather is very mild on me, and I'm guessing it's the bourbon that adds a little hint of sweetness. But I would have never guessed all of the notes listed. It's very nice though: a cuddly, but sexy, spice blend