Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Champagne

The Spanish Dance

Chocolate, orange blossom honey, and pomegranate.

This one really surprised me, because I'm generally not a foody scent lover and the inclusion of chocolate, honey, and pomegranate really concerned me. In the vial, I got a lovely blend of cocoa-honey sweetness, but it wasn't cloying... it was like the dry scent of cocoa powder, with the golden touch of honey and a little floral-fruity touch. I still dabbed sparingly, but it stayed nice and dry-sweet! Whew.

The chocolate faded, and the end result was something faint and golden, sweet and floral. Very pretty. I'm glad this one wasn't a foody monster!

I bought this unsniffed because after reading a few reviews here I was hoping the chocolate in this blend was the same as the chocolate note in Boomslang & Wulric, and it is! :joy: I knew the other notes would work; I like them and they smell great with my skin chemistry. The addition of the rich, dark chocolate note is amazing. It disappears first, but the other notes linger in sweet floral goodness all day long.

A new favorite! I just have to remember to spin the bottle between my palms to mix the oils before I apply. :D

Hmmm, I love all the notes, but haven't tried pom and chocolate in combination before. Let us see what happens! Making sure to give the bottle a good mixing first, of course...

In bottle: Ooh. It's dark, darker than most scents I wear, but I can smell the tartness of the pom and the sweetness of the honey. Intriguing!

On wet: Still dark, tart and sweet, but now the darkness is definitely dark chocolate. We're talking a 70% cacao Lindt chocolate, very intense.

Drydown: Oh hello, there's the orange blossom coming out, lightening the scent ever so slightly. It's still a deep, dark scent, but the pom and the orange blossom give it a bit of playfulness that I like.

Conclusion: Spanish Dance is a surprise winner! Though all the notes are foody, the end result on my skin is more intriguing and sexy than I-want-to-gnaw-my-arm edible. It comes across as gently enticing, a come-hither scent for those who don't want to be too obvious about it. ;)

After rolling the imp around for several minutes, finally got the dark globs to disperse! Now for the test...

Sniff: chocolate and orange, yum!

Wet: chocolate definitely dominates, with a citrus honey bite.

Dry: unfortunately, the honey and pomegranate turn this around and i'm left with a dusty, sickly sour aftersmell. alas, the foodie note didn't last.

Decant from forumite :)

In vial: the cocoa is separating visibly. I can smell the sweetnss of the chocolate and the tartness of the pom

Initial diagnosis: looking forward to this considerably.

On skin #1: after shaking vial gently am treated to a wave of notes, each sweetened by a clover smell of honey rather than orange blossom. No citrus or floral detected.

On skin #2: more vigorous shaking yields smell similar to Sweet Tart candies on skin.

Prognosis and final diagnosis: This separation indicates a physical incompatibility of components which may result in different scents upon repeat applications, which may be desirable to some. Make sure to shake prior to application for more consistent results. I'm keeping this to see what other scents it will produce. *fingers crossed for orange chocolate*

Edited by Doc M

Chocolate, orange blossom honey, and pomegranate.

This was one I received in January of 2011 and didn't wear at all before putting it away for the spring.

It's a deep, dark, sticky chocolate, not at all sweet, but bitter and almost smoky. I've been cooking and trimming our tree today, so there's a good mix of fraser fir sap, ancho chilis and peach juice on me, but the core scent of the Spanish Dance is still there, chocolate and wood resin, something sour that doesn't warm up until it touches skin.

The cocoa does separate in this one, and will require gentle shaking to mix it up.

In bottle: Cocoa mostly, with a little bit of the sweet orange blossom honey. Smells really nice in the bottle.

On my skin, the chocolate is still present, but it's very sweet, a bit sickly-sweet, unfortunately. There's a bit of an almost nutty smell. The combination of the notes is unfortunately giving me a bit of a headache... it's similar to the effect from Pumpkin III '07, which also had pomegranate and chocolate - that was white chocolate, but the effect is similar with the nutty-ish smell that gives me a headache. And... ugh, the more I wear it, it just turns sour and weird. Stupid skin.

I had high hopes but this is not a keeper, unfortunately. It must be the same chocolate note as Gelt 2010, which also didn't work on my skin despite smelling awesome in the bottle.

Edited by sunlitgarden

Chocolate is hit or miss on me.

Imp: When I rolled the imp, little globules of chocolate oil started floating up from the bottom. How cool! It's like a lava lamp. It smells wonderful, like fresh melted chocolate and delicious fruit.

Wet: Ohhh! Mostly honey, but a wonderful, spiced, orange honey with a hint of tart liqueur from the pomegranate. The chocolate is really a background player, soft and velvety and delicious, and I think maybe there's a blondewood or mahogany note in this? I definitely get a gorgeous impression of soft-grained wood. Honey, chocolate and pomegranate are all notes that can be very iffy on me, but thus far this is really nice-- sweetly edible but not overwhelming and very well-balanced.

Dry: The pomegranate and orange try to go a little Sweet Tart, but are kept in check by the wood and the dry, lovely chocolate note. I did not expect this one to be so nice! I will almost certainly use up my imp, particularly in the cooler months.

In the bottle - A dark green honey note

Wet on me - The orange blossom in the honey really comes through with the chocolate in the background

Dry on me - A faint slightly soapy honey

Overall - This scent never really came to life on my skin

In the decant, this is mostly about the orange with a faint, faint hint of chocolate. On my skin, the pomegranate comes out more and turns this into fruit darkened by the hint of chocolate. I don't get much honey, if at all. I think it's just serving to balance the tartness of the fruit. It's a very light skin once dried down. Not something I need more of, but pleasant enough that I might wear my decant from time to time.

In the imp - Chocolate and delicious fruitiness. If I liked chocolate, I’d be ALL OVER this blend. As it is, I don’t even want to put it on because … chocolate, ych.

I'm super happy to try this, don't get me wrong, but MAN does this not work on or for me. :P

It reminds me of those chocolate covered-orange filled chips which repulse me *shudders*.. And generally I don't like chocolate mixed with fruit anyway... I mean, I should've known but then again ya never know for sure. Certainly interesting though, as the blossom and pomegranate notes are just wonderful on themselves. It goes burgundy on me, with that dark undertone of chocolate in there.