Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Redillon

The Phoenix in Autumn

Through swirling winds, the Phoenix restlessly wanders: dry leaves, Indonesian patchouli, coffee bean, twining ivy, teak, hyssop, and tonka.

In the imp, this smells strongly of teak. Freshly applied, it's strong dry leaves and teakwood.

I don’t know if I’m amping dry leaves and teak or what, but this stuff has crazy throw, an insistent woodsy dry scent like men’s cologne. I get no sweetness from the tonka, and certainly no creamyness. I detect a dry bark-like patchouli, but not very much of it, and there is a slight hint of the bitter harshness of an over-roasted, burnt coffee bean. But mostly I get bitter dry leaves and wood. It reminds me of heavily barrel-aged whiskey (without any boozey whine, though), and something here almost rings metallic, with a twangy sharpness. Is that hyssop? An hour or so in, there is a mere hint of tonka, but it’s too little too late. And then, especially for such an amped-up beginning, it begins to fade quickly.

Verdict: Bitter, woodsy, oddly-metallic scent that leans heavily masculine, but I imagine it could be worn by the right kick-ass lady. Not for me though.

eta: scent description

I don't get very many of the listed notes. I get smoky leaves (a vetiverish smell) over something vaguely floral (ivy maybe?). I don't care for it, especially as it dries down. Perhaps its the teak that I don't care for here - I smell like an old wooden box with dried flowers in it. Wish I got some patchouli and tonka. I am a big fan of Antikythera Mechanism and this does not remind me of it at all. Definitely evokes fall leaves, though.

Edited by Urpflanze

Finally trying this one and I really like it. I get a vetiver feel from this and it also gives an overall impression of Samhain. It's like Samhain Lite on my skin. Lovely!

It definitely evokes autumn and fallen leaves to me. So glad to have a decant.

Some scents don't always call to mind the season they're meant to evoke, but this one deeeeeefinitely does, and it's the "dry leaves" in particular that leaves that impression. Dry leaves, teak, patchouli. It smells like a solid wood hope chest that once held detritus of the earth - leaves and flowers and bits, and you can still smell them in the empty box. Sits very close to my skin and not much throw. Given ten or fifteen minutes, the wood and leaves slowly fade into the background and the ivy and hyssop become more noticeable.

I don't get the vetiver impression other people mention, although I can understand why they'd think that, but vetiver is stronger and sharper to my nose.

I love Beth's take on Autumn, and this fits wonderfully into that category along with Samhain, Samhainophobia, Elegy IX, and several others. I do have to be in the right mood to appreciate these scents; they are not for everyday wear.

I, too get a bit of a vetiver vibe from Phoenix in Autumn - it's very sharp and woodsy and has ridiculous amounts of throw.

Also, I adore the label. ;)

In the bottle: Crisp, dry leaves; smokey, sultry, seductive. I cannot stop smelling this bottle! It's probably my favorite of the seasonal phoenixes, in the bottle.

Wet, on me: I'm still getting a lot of the dry leaves, with a hint of something else. I'm totally loving smelling myself.

Dry, about 2-3 hours after application: The patchouli hits and my allergies go totally wonky. :( The scent is softer, more subtle, almost like a sexy vanilla

Afternoon/Evening: I keep getting whiffs of men's cologne, and then realize it's me. Sharp & sweet, tangy, and ... just not me. :( I had such high hopes for this scent, as much as I loved it, even though it set off my allergies something fierce.

I guess I'll keep this one around to whiff at, every so often ... or figure out a way to make my home smell this good.

In the bottle: Woodsy with leafy bits. It's a forest!

Immediately after application: The patchouli is coming out some now, so it smells like an earthy forest with fresh-turned soil.

Warming up: Patchouli and a chemically note :\

Fading: Patchouli.

Faded: Average throw, long wear.

Overall: I was really disappointed. This seemed like it'd be a winner on me but I never got any hints of coffee or tonka that would have made this absolutely amazing. *sniff sniff*

Rating: 2/5.

another frimp i received recently. this is definitely a fall-winter scent. i think my skin mostly brings out the tonka, leaves and ivy, which generally reads as ozoney or aquatic on me rather than herbal. there is a bit of slight floral to this, the hyssop i guess. if i sniff very deeply i can make just a wisp of coffee in the background, and i can't seem to smell any patchouli at all. i think this would be a nice scent on someone else, but on me it's a bit too ozoney and gives me a bit of a headache. i think i am amping the ivy, unfortunately.

Edited by theseagrows

Wet: Golden and smoky. It smells like amber (the teak?) and burning leaves.

Drydown/Dry: Setting sunlight peaking through multi-colored leaves, setting everything aglow. A cup of smoky black coffee fighting off the chill in the air. The scent of firewood burning nearby. Pulling out cozy sweaters from the back of the closet to be put to frequent use again. This is October to a T.

This is fantastic stuff. Smoky and evocative, just the way I like my BPAL's. It reminds me of Noh Mask and Maples Leaves, only this is much better.

This is a lot like Samhain to me in the bottle. It just screams DRY LEAVES!

I can never have too many autumn leaves blends. Here, the leaves note is softened and blends in seamlessly with dry patchouli and dark green ivy. I can't think of a much better combination than leaves and patchouli. I can't pick out any tonka or coffee. I love it, it's a keeper.

Received this as a frottle from the lab in mid-January 2022. 

While wet, this has a pleasant aroma of leaves and teak, as well as a hint of herbaceous green from hyssop and ivy. 

As it dries, more of the patchouli and coffee bean emerge from the background of tonka. Without looking at the notes, I might have guessed a soft brown leather in the mix.

A warm, Autumnal scent with a subtle perfume quality, and the coffee/patch/teak combination is quite lovely.

Love this! A comfy, warm autumn day scent. tonka-sweet patchouli and woods.