Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

Blood Countess was my signature. :( I'm still looking for something I like as much. Lady MacBeth is pretty great, and I like Morgause and Lucy's Kiss, but I haven't found anything that was as perfect as BC. I recently bought a ton of imps though, so I'm excited to try some new scents!

I hope that there is a general catalog scent that is very similar to Blood Countess. I am almost out :cry2: and I love this scent! Any suggestions?

I am in the same boat! BC was my signature scent, and I'm out! Try Lady MacBeth! It's not quite as perfect, but it's sweet and fun!

Ok, i searched and couldn't find anything, i hope this hasn't been asked, but i just fell Madly in love with Dove's Heart (thats what i get for buying the DC grab bag off Etsy....anyhow, are there any scents similar? Either GC or LE is fine, cause once/if i fine a close match, i will stock up!

Any recs for similar scents to The Hanging Gardens? On me it's a mixture of the wood and fruit notes (none of its floral notes appear on my skin) that I strongly associate with Christmas - slightly resinous like fir boughs, something almost like cloves, the rich dark fruits of a traditional Christmas pudding or cake. So that's what I'm hoping to find in another scent, because my treasured bottle of HG is beginning to run low...

Île de la Tortue is one of my absolute favorites. It is relatively easy to find a bottle every now and then, but it would be nice to know if there was/is a similar blend! The notes:

"Damp air trapped in limestone caverns, heady greenery, hothouse orchids, nicotiana blossoms, bois de chandel, elemi, palm wine, garambullo, pega-pega, flame of the forest, and a swirl of Haitian vetiver."

Any ideas for a Havana replacement? I, of course, fell in love with it after it was discontinued.

Not exactly the same, but when I combine Juke Joint and Santo Domingo, it gives me a very similar feel as Havana!

Oh no! It's been awhile, and I was just making a restocking order, only to discover that my partner's very very favourite signature scent, Devil's Claw, has long since been discontinued. He's going to be crushed. What can I try him on as a replacement?

I got an imp of Serpent's Kiss in a swap and fell absolutely in love only to discover that it had been discontinued a few months previously. I've been trying to find something similar but so far no luck. So, maybe someone here known of any similar scents.

Thanks in advance.

I love both dragon's blood and vetiver, but didn't much care for Serpent's Kiss. That having been said, the fact I love both of those notes means I've tried a lot of the adjacent blends, so here, have a braindump! (I always go more than a little bit overboard on recommendations, heh.)

It's a tossup whether you should go more with the vetiver end of Serpent's Kiss or the dragon's blood end, but here are a few GCs you might want to try:

• Fire For Thy Stepmother's Daughters: many of BPAL's 'fire' scents have vetiver in them, and this one's no exception, but I'm pretty positive there's dragon's blood in there too. This is maybe the most similar scent I can think of -- it's less on the cherry impression that dragon's blood can usually have, but a lot of the same feel. Very fast running on my skin (it only lasts about an hour and a half) but it's worth a try. (Caveat: on my wife, it turned into 'freshly buttered popcorn single note' and we could not figure out why. Ah, skin chemistry.)
  • Sin: I hated (hated) this in the imp and was about to throw it in the giveaway box, but I'd got some on my fingers while opening the imp and ten minutes later it smelled glorious on me. A very well-rounded sandalwood/amber with just a breath of cinnamon and a hint of patchouli. It doesn't share any of the notes of Serpent's Kiss, but it had a lot of the same feel to it, and was in the same 'key' to my nose.
  • Wrath: where Serpent's Kiss is vetiver + dragon's blood, this is clove + cinnamon + dragon's blood. The dragon's blood is really nicely grounding, and the spices aren't too overwhelming. This is the other one that's a candidate for "most similar", I think.
  • Djinn: This one has none of the floral/cherry notes that dragon's blood often has, but it's heavy on the vetiver, and winds up smelling exactly like campfire woodsmoke and sage-and-sweetgrass ashes.
  • Brimstone: Like Djinn, this is very campfire-woodsmoke, although it's a bit more challenging and less cozy. Heavy on the vetiver, with some spices in the background. It winds up smelling like dry stones and the aftermath of a renewing brushfire. I'm still not sure whether or not I like it, but boy, is it evocative.
  • Iago: Leather and vetiver, and probably my favorite vetiver that's not a fire scent. Some people find it too masculine, but I find it very unisex and confident.

You should probably check out all the Ars Draconis line -- they all have dragon's blood as a base. My favorites of them are:

• Dragon's Musk: a beautifully well-blended chord of musk and dragon's blood. Warm and cozy.
  • Dragon's Claw: the sandalwood takes center stage here and the dragon's blood is a supporting player, but it winds up (on me at least) smelling interestingly like hot metal and iron over wood.
  • Dragon's Hide: an earthy, sexy dragon's blood with leather and smoke underpinning it. Warm and dry, like curling up against a hulking big dragon against the side of his mountain cave for a lazy afternoon nap.

And, the "GC, but imps not available" scents:

• The Stormhold: A very aquatic/watery scent, with a very true wet-stone note and a sort of furry grounding from the vetiver. It's not much like Serpent's Kiss, but if you like vetiver or are curious about aquatics, this might be worth tracking down a decant.
  • The Ifrit: This is probably in my top 10 BPAL scents I've tried (definitely in the top 20). It's a very dry, deserty dragon's blood, much like actual desert sand warmed by the sun, with a breath of spices wafting through. I honestly think the only reason it's not one of their top sellers is that it's not available for imps. Definitely worth tracking down a decant.
  • Agnes Nutter: this one's a bit of a stretch, but Agnes is one of my favorite vetiver blends. Vetiver and gunpowder and pistol blowback and rusty metal, and from that description it might sound really offputting, but it's a surprisingly warm and cozy scent.

Honorable mention, if you're willing to track down old LEs:

• Time's Infliction of Eternity: This was one of the Century Guild scents; bottles of it turn up on eBay/in the for-sale forum pretty often. It's fabulous. I described it as "if this were one of the Ars Draconis scents, it would be Dragon's Smoke": it really does smell like a dragon having you over for a nice cuppa. (The water for which has been warmed by its breathing fire, of course.) The dragon's blood keeps the tea from being too astringent; the tea keeps the dragon's blood from being too floral. This one is definitely in my top 10.

I too liked Serpent's Kiss, and think Bloodlust (in Diabolus) might be similar enough to give you what you want, if you don't mind patchouli: A fiery Martial blend that embodies primal rage, lust for conquest, and all-encompassing desire. Dragon's blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

Anyone have recommendations for scent with "crystalline" musk like Urania, Zorya, or Zechenryaya? I want something that evokes a starry night but those are disappearing. Interesting as Nuit is long gone as well. Our pantheon is missing the starry night goddesses

Edited by sprout

Okay, so I've been desperately holding on to my last bottle of Moon Rose (I know it was discontinued quite a little while ago and I missed a major stock-up :( .. bad choice since it's the closest thing to my signature scent), which is now running dangerously low with no replacement in sight.... and I was hoping someone here might be able to help recommend me a similar GC scent that could be just similar enough. :blush:Edit for scent description: Moon Rose: A crisp, pale, almost translucent rose dusted by moonflower and midnight dew.

Maybe Nyx? Similar notes...

Has anyone found anything even vaguely like March Hare? I'm almost out.

. Perhaps Depraved or Ravenous? They smell similar. You may have to layer to get the clove...

I don't think Masabakes was anybody else's favorite discountinued GC, but I recently tried Septemer Midnight and found it not dissimilar. It's not quite as heady and it didn't last as long on me, but it's a very similar myrrh note, and the fruits give it a similar vibe.

Okay, so I've been desperately holding on to my last bottle of Moon Rose (I know it was discontinued quite a little while ago and I missed a major stock-up :( .. bad choice since it's the closest thing to my signature scent), which is now running dangerously low with no replacement in sight.... and I was hoping someone here might be able to help recommend me a similar GC scent that could be just similar enough. :blush:Edit for scent description: Moon Rose: A crisp, pale, almost translucent rose dusted by moonflower and midnight dew.

. Perhaps Depraved or Ravenous? They smell similar. You may have to layer to get the clove...

Ravenous is orange blossom and patchouli. I find the strong patchouli in ddepraved muddies the apricot. I like the brightness of March hare's apricot, unfortuneateely. They were kind suggestions.

"I got an imp of Serpent's Kiss in a swap and fell absolutely in love only to discover that it had been discontinued a few months previously."

Now I haven't sampled Serpent's Kiss before, but one of my favourite blends that balances vetiver and dragon's blood resin to perfection is, skekUng the Garthim-Master, which according to the Lab notes contains, "vetiver, smoke, steel, and dragon's blood resin." It's a surprisingly light blend, the vetiver is green and crisp here, and there's a modicum of restraint with the dragon's blood in the mix, adding just enough sweetness to temper the vetiver. It's a scent that's in my proverbial top 10, and you can't go wrong with telling people you're wearing a Skeksis perfume when asked!

http://www.bpal.org/topic/81653-skekung-the-garthim-master/

Ravenous is orange blossom and patchouli. I find the strong patchouli in ddepraved muddies the apricot. I like the brightness of March hare's apricot, unfortuneateely. They were kind suggestions.

I think some people compared Aristocratic Couple to March Hare (personally, have never smelled either). It's LE and not up anymore, but recent enough i bet a lot of people have it.

I think some people compared Aristocratic Couple to March Hare (personally, have never smelled either). It's LE and not up anymore, but recent enough i bet a lot of people have it.

I missed it and have been searching desperately fopr a bottle. People are hanging on to them tight, I think. :(

Anyone have recommendations for scent with "crystalline" musk like Urania, Zorya, or Zechenryaya? I want something that evokes a starry night but those are disappearing. Interesting as Nuit is long gone as well. Our pantheon is missing the starry night goddesses

What about Lady Death Savage? To me it feels cool, blue & unearthly - I could totally see a starry night goddess smelling this way.

Though it lists white musk, which may give you pause, it's definitely tempered by the other notes: White musk, grey amber, Calabrian bergamot, vanilla absolute, French labdanum, styrax, wormwood, caraway, and bois de jasmin.

Edited by alterosen

Hello!

I'm rather new to all of this so I apologise if I'm a bit bumbly >.<

I was directed to post in this thread by a lovely forumite as I've recently discovered BPAL and fell head over heels for Love Lies Bleeding, which has been discontinued if I'm correct?

I just wondered if anyone had any reccomendations for similar scents that are currently available to purchase or that may be easier to get hold of?

Thank you!

Hi guys,

I have no idea if this is the right place to post this but I've been looked extensively on the forum for an answer to no avail so here we go.. Can anyone recommend a scent similar to Blood Countess? I got a bottle just before it was discontinued and unfortunately fell in love with it :ugh: It is one of my top 5 scents but I don't wear it as much as I want to because I am afraid of running out. Wondering if anyone with greater knowledge of the bpals can help me out?

yea, there aren't a ton similar, at least in my quest. Check out Bordello, Hanging Gardens, Soul of La Traviata, and maybe others. Good luck!

Any thoughts regarding a replacement for Nocnitsa? I love the smell of moss in a forest, at night?