Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

One of these days I need to do a deathmatch or ALLLL~ my "snowy" blends.

Anyway, I'm testing The Darkling Thrush right now, and it's super lovely, but I feel like I've smelled this before recently! I've gone through my blends with snow notes in them and I can't seem to find out what this is, exactly. Anyone have any ideas? (And I haven't tried Dublin or Moon of Small Spirits, which is what Vega said above [and which is what made me look up this decant anyway].)

I think snow notes along with vanilla is my doom.

Crow Moon is very similar to Darkling on me (though not *quite* as lovely)

One of these days I need to do a deathmatch or ALLLL~ my "snowy" blends.

Anyway, I'm testing The Darkling Thrush right now, and it's super lovely, but I feel like I've smelled this before recently! I've gone through my blends with snow notes in them and I can't seem to find out what this is, exactly. Anyone have any ideas? (And I haven't tried Dublin or Moon of Small Spirits, which is what Vega said above [and which is what made me look up this decant anyway].)

I think snow notes along with vanilla is my doom.

Crow Moon is very similar to Darkling on me (though not *quite* as lovely)

I haven't tried that either! :lol: Hmm. Maybe it is just that the lab snow note is very notable for me that I immediately feel like there's a kinship to all the bottles. :think:

I have also realized that the thread is for disconned GC blends :blush: I was trying to find this thread again (because of the Darkling Thrush mention) and randomly entering addresses.

So to stay somewhat on topic, I will suggest something another forumite and I were talking about just a while ago--I feel amazed that I haven't seen anyone yet suggest that Wulric the Wolfman dries to something slightly similar to Antique Lace. It's like chocolate Antique Lace on me. And for some reason, Faith is like violet Antique Lace, even if Faith does not have any vanilla.

Maybe it's just my weird nose.

I hate following myself, but I was juuuust skin-testing Ether and looking at the notes here on this board, and noticed it was disconned in January last year. And I was suddenly struck--I knew that The Unicorn was disconned January last year (because I had cursed myself for not being into BPAL earlier!)--these two lovely blends obviously have one the same component that was problematic!

So I went and looked through the news archives and discovered all the blends that got disconned the same time as Ether and The Unicorn.

Cottonmouth

The High Priest Not to be Described

I Died for Beauty

Little Sparrow

The Macabray

Melancholia

Pannychis

:cry2: I know, this is super late and probably no one really cares by now, but I'm so sad for this beautiful component that died. Does anyone know what exactly this now-gone component is?

I hate following myself, but I was juuuust skin-testing Ether and looking at the notes here on this board, and noticed it was disconned in January last year. And I was suddenly struck--I knew that The Unicorn was disconned January last year (because I had cursed myself for not being into BPAL earlier!)--these two lovely blends obviously have one the same component that was problematic!

So I went and looked through the news archives and discovered all the blends that got disconned the same time as Ether and The Unicorn.

Cottonmouth

The High Priest Not to be Described

I Died for Beauty

Little Sparrow

The Macabray

Melancholia

Pannychis

:cry2: I know, this is super late and probably no one really cares by now, but I'm so sad for this beautiful component that died. Does anyone know what exactly this now-gone component is?

Well, I know The Unicorn and Cottonmouth shared linden. I looked through, and I saw a few had ylang ylang or various types of sandalwood, so there could be some sort of specific sandalwood or ylang ylang component that's no longer available.

Edited by plainjean

:cry2: I know, this is super late and probably no one really cares by now, but I'm so sad for this beautiful component that died.

I care! :cry2: Oh my god, you guys, I just found out The Unicorn was discontinued! Super late, I know, but I was basically on a four-year hiatus from BPAL and didn't even think to check if my favorites had been discontinued while I was gone. I'm so heartbroken. It's been one of my main scents for so long. Now I'm suddenly being overtaken by this feeling that I need to buy all the bottles of it I can find! I've still got one . . . but I don't want to be afraid to wear it. I hope and pray that whatever that component was, an alternative is found and this scent can come back. :beg:

Anyway, I'm testing The Darkling Thrush right now, and it's super lovely, but I feel like I've smelled this before recently! I've gone through my blends with snow notes in them and I can't seem to find out what this is, exactly. Anyone have any ideas?

I was just testing some things last night and was struck by how The Country of Eternal Light and Dust of Snow seemed like variations on the theme of The Darkling Thrush. Have you tried either of those recently by any chance?

Well, I know The Unicorn and Cottonmouth shared linden. I looked through, and I saw a few had ylang ylang or various types of sandalwood, so there could be some sort of specific sandalwood or ylang ylang component that's no longer available.

Yeah, I also looked through the notes and couldn't really find a similarity between them! Maybe it's one or two components. Looking through the reviews they don't all feel alike. The Unicorn and Ether have the same ethereal feel, possibly Cottonmouth too (I've yet to try it), and I Died For Beauty and Little Sparrow and The Macabray are similar light scents.

:cry2: I know, this is super late and probably no one really cares by now, but I'm so sad for this beautiful component that died.

I care! :cry2: Oh my god, you guys, I just found out The Unicorn was discontinued! Super late, I know, but I was basically on a four-year hiatus from BPAL and didn't even think to check if my favorites had been discontinued while I was gone. I'm so heartbroken. It's been one of my main scents for so long. Now I'm suddenly being overtaken by this feeling that I need to buy all the bottles of it I can find! I've still got one . . . but I don't want to be afraid to wear it. I hope and pray that whatever that component was, an alternative is found and this scent can come back. :beg:

Oh I'm so sorry you only found out now :( I'm also scared of running out too, it's such a light scent that I slather it when I use it!

Anyway, I'm testing The Darkling Thrush right now, and it's super lovely, but I feel like I've smelled this before recently! I've gone through my blends with snow notes in them and I can't seem to find out what this is, exactly. Anyone have any ideas?

I was just testing some things last night and was struck by how The Country of Eternal Light and Dust of Snow seemed like variations on the theme of The Darkling Thrush. Have you tried either of those recently by any chance?

Oh! Yes, I should have. I don't have Country of Eternal Light anymore, but I do have my 1/5 decant of the latter and OMG you're right--they are very similar! And they rather dry down the same as well--I didn't get Dust of Snow because it went a bit "oily" on me after a while, and I got the same "oiliness" 30 minutes later on Darkling Thrush.

Thank you! Man, I'm envious of you folks with such good scent memory :D

I'm still mourning the loss of the Unicorn, moreso because it was DC'd just after I got into BPAL and I only got an imp of it. Amazingly, beautiful linden flower, that.

Maybe one day..

As te oil level in my March Hare drops lower and lower, I am heartbroken it's irreplaceable. they sell so expensive on ebay, I don't see that happening.

*snip*

Well, I know The Unicorn and Cottonmouth shared linden.

If I remember correctly, there was some discussion about this when the discons were announced and I believe it was linden/linden blossom that was the problem component (ie the one behind the discontinuation). Such a shame, because linden blossom is gorgeous and Cottonmouth was one of my favourites from the Snake Pit. I'm just glad I have a couple of bottles hoarded away :smile:

seraphiminia - I haven't found anything like Queen Mab yet, so I share your pain.. that one was a really unique blend :(

*snip*

Well, I know The Unicorn and Cottonmouth shared linden.

If I remember correctly, there was some discussion about this when the discons were announced and I believe it was linden/linden blossom that was the problem component (ie the one behind the discontinuation). Such a shame, because linden blossom is gorgeous and Cottonmouth was one of my favourites from the Snake Pit. I'm just glad I have a couple of bottles hoarded away :smile:

Oh, darn. So any linden blossoms that get released now is a different linden, then? (That sounded like a tongue twister...different linden then!) I got a couple bottles of A Wonderful Light but man, it's just not the same. Also, amber powder. Sigh. I'm hoping it's just the amber that is problematic there.

I've got some Cottonmouth incoming to test (:wub: this community) and I don't know if I'm hoping the Snake Oil ruins it for me (since it's odd on my skin chem) or the linden blossom saves the day. :s

I've got some Cottonmouth incoming to test (:wub: this community) and I don't know if I'm hoping the Snake Oil ruins it for me (since it's odd on my skin chem) or the linden blossom saves the day. :s

Well.. on me, Cottonmouth is one of the least Snake Oil-y blends out of the Snake Pit, so maybe it will work nicely for you :smile:

If anyone's curious - the others that are low-SO for me are Coral Snake with the gorgeous blood orange, and Green Tree Viper with the minty goodness.

i am curious! i've sent boomslang, australian copperhead, and saw-scaled viper on their way because the so was too much.

green tree viper is the only one i've kept and i LOVE citrus. we'll see if i can find a tester of coral snake somewhere.

thank you!

It wasn't exactly a favorite but I did really like Desdemona and I only have an imp left.

Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar - especially containing a significant amount of Sweetpea. Desdemona is: sweet pea, carnation and water lily

The only other GC that I have tried that has Sweetpea in it is Juliet.

Juliet is: Sweet pea with stargazer lily, calla lily, heliotrope, honeysuckle, white musk and a touch of fresh pear. but the honeysuckle and pear don't really work on me.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale (Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood). The sweet pea is pretty strong on me... it's a light and pretty scent. Now I think I might wear it today. ^_^

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale (Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood). The sweet pea is pretty strong on me... it's a light and pretty scent. Now I think I might wear it today. ^_^

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to try it. Amber sometimes turns powdery on me but it sounds really good :smile:

I wore it today and the sweet pea had faded somewhat from when it was new (my bottle is around 2 years old) but it's still there, and the blend lasts a long time as well. I put it on around noon and could still smell it until around 11 when I went to shower (I'm an evening shower person, haha.)

Need a little help finding a substitute for Ether, from the Steamworks (listed as "Translucent blooms, ethereal white resins, and davana.") It's a little sharp on me, like a green chemical of some sort...and I have no idea what it is in the blend that does this.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Need a little help finding a substitute for Ether, from the Steamworks (listed as "Translucent blooms, ethereal white resins, and davana.") It's a little sharp on me, like a green chemical of some sort...and I have no idea what it is in the blend that does this.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

You could try Pollution from Neil Gaiman's Good Omens (http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/goodomens.html): "A toxic chypre: radioactive green musk, davana, and oozing white amber." Pollution is sharper than Ether wet and in the bottle, but it smooths out, and they both have a slightly sour note on me dry after a while; I really liked them save for this sourness. (This is the sort of scent I like.)

I think Black Hellebore (The scent is a pale green herbal, darkly rooty, with a faint rose and peony-like overtone.) and The Zieba Tree (A dreamlike, listless scent, misty and hazed, with wisps of white sandalwood, eddying musks the colors of eventide, shimmering pale resins, davana, lemon blossom, orange blossom, and white peach.) should be mentioned, they don't have that sourness, and the latter also has davana. These two I consider keepers myself :) And they are both GC.

My other suggestions, would be another discon (The Unicorn, a misty, almost luminous perfume: wispy linden blossoms, white flowers, and a touch of sweet herbs) or an LE (Enchanted Wood Florist, a burst of sweet, strange flowers, luminous Moon-tree sap, and ornamental grasses).

Edited by angelamaria

I'm so happy - I've discovered that layering Water of Notre Dame with The Rose seems to be a GREAT duplicate of Ophelia. Just a tip for those who cried bitterly (like me - I hadn't even gotten to order a 5ml yet! :cry2: ) when she went away.

If you can't layer, then WoND by itself is also a pretty decent Ophelia substitute. Not identical, but pretty close. I just like amping up the rose a bit, what can I say? ;)

Edited by lavenderfrost

With the demise of Hymn to Proserpine and my beloved Hermia, does anyone have any recommendations for fruity amber scents?

With the demise of Hymn to Proserpine and my beloved Hermia, does anyone have any recommendations for fruity amber scents?

What about The Hanging Gardens? It doesn't list amber, but it seems in that family to me.

What about The Hanging Gardens? It doesn't list amber, but it seems in that family to me.

Also discontinued :(

Is this the right thread for discussing similarities with Salon scents?

I just tried Sunrise with Sea-Monsters and the sweet/saltiness reminds me a lot of Lyonesse.

Melancholia reminds me of the old LE Signior Dildo, minus the violet note.

Fox Fires reminds me of On The Death of His Mistress because of the green tea incense.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for scents close to:

Utrennyaya

The Lantern Ghost of Oiwa

I bought an extra bottle of the latter before it goes away but I'd feel better if I found something GC and similar. Utrennyaya was my very first BPAL love and it just had this one really beautiful note in it that I've never found in anything else. But I'm always looking for suggestions from the very knowledgeable BPALers!