Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

The question actually seems to be about The Coil rather than Ether. Coil's notes are:

Ozone, eucalyptus and mint with purple orchid, passionflower, white ginger, and purple lotus.

You might look at Lightning, I don't really think it will be quite as complex as Coil but it might be similar. For another ozoney take, there's the Stormhold, from the Stardust line. It's likely to be more earthy but will probably have some similarities.

(Then again, what do I know, every blend in this genre turns to dish soap on me. XD )

Thanks for the responses. I'm more wondering just how similar Ultraviolet and The Coil are. If there's not much difference, I'll be content with my Ultraviolet. If there is, I want to keep making an effort to find The Coil.

Basically, if you've tried both of them, are the indistinguishable? Or what are the differences?

Edited by dicyfer

Hmmm, while I think this topic should probably be located in the recommendations subforum, I can do my best to help you out while it's here in the chatter :D

Now, as an avid lover of The Coil, I can tell you for sure that while the there are certain similarities in the note list between it and Ultraviolet (namely the eucalyptus and mint), the two scents have an entirely different feel IMO. Ultraviolet is a strongly violet-floral scent that has a crisply sweet base of eucalyptus and mint. The Coil, on the other hand, has mint as the primary note, with just a hint of eucalyptus, and a faintly floral feel around the edges of the scent.

I would say that at the very least you should track down a decant of The Coil if you can to determine if they're dissimilar enough to warrant the full-blown bottle search.

To me, The Coil was more cologny-clean and Ultraviolet was more shampoo-clean. They both did weird things on me, though, so I can't really comment much on the overall similarities.

Thanks for the help. I have a feeling I might end up liking Ultraviolet more, but I wont feel certain until I've tried The Coil. It's off to the sales and swaps forum for me!

Thanks for the responses. I'm more wondering just how similar Ultraviolet and The Coil are.

:ack: :blush: Ahh geez, how embarrassing. Sorry for the goof-up... I was thinking "recently discontinued Steamworks scent" and Ether was foremost on my mind since I was bummed about that loss!

As for Ultraviolet vs. The Coil, I haven't tried Ultraviolet but The Coil is definitely heavy on the mint and eucalyptus. (But I amp mint to high heaven, so...)

So, I LOVED Pannychis. Loved it. I was so happy that it was in my order before the DC announcement was made.

I just received Kataskopia in the mail today and the drydown is very similar to Pannychis. So, if you're missing Pannychis, give Kataskopia a try before she comes down...it's a shame she's a LE, but at least she is here for now. :)

I am new here but have always wanted to try BPAL. I was searching to find a certain scent when I came across the description and reviews of Loviatar. Unfortunately, it was discontinued before I could even try it. Anyone have a suggestion for me? Looking for leather with something sweet for my hubby to wear for me!

I'm looking for something for my husband. De Sade is delicious on him but all I have is a tiny imp. He wears dkny be delicious ( the green one) but he finds it too sharp sometimes. Any suggestions on similar scents? He also doesn't alter scents much so good out of the bottle is usually good on him. He has a tendency to be picky about scents so we have to experiment a lot.

I'm looking for something for my husband. De Sade is delicious on him but all I have is a tiny imp. He wears dkny be delicious ( the green one) but he finds it too sharp sometimes. Any suggestions on similar scents? He also doesn't alter scents much so good out of the bottle is usually good on him. He has a tendency to be picky about scents so we have to experiment a lot.

The Hesperides, maybe, if he likes Be Delicious?

Be Delicious lists notes of American Apple, cucumber, grapefruit, candid magnolia, tuberose, white muguet, rose, violet, sandalwood, tender skin accord, blonde woods, white amber.

The Hesperides: Their perfume is that of sturdy oak bark, dew-kissed leaves, twilight mist and crisp apple.

As for other scents he might like, maybe try out:

Impable scents:

Coyote: The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

The Black Rider: Black leather, oppoponax, tobacco, and black amber.

Non-impable scents:

Western Diamondback: Snake Oil with leather, tonka bean, red sandalwood, and sage.

Kroenen: Shining black leather, gleaming metal, labdanum, and myrrh.

xposted in case folks look in this thread: I find that the drydown of Flora (now discontinued, alas) is very very similar to that of Bastet.

I finally got around to testing my imp of Niflheim, not realizing that it had been discontinued. If I had known, I might not have tested it at all, because now I love it and it's gone! I'm not usually a big fan of florals, so I've been looking at the review thread to try and figure out what notes are there and what others think it smells similar to, but I thought I'd ask here as well. So... what scents do y'all think make a good replacement for Niflheim?

I absolutely adore The Coil and only have an imp. I'd definitely like to track down a bottle at some point, but in the meantime, does anyone know if Volt is at all similar in feel?

I've been wondering: Is there anything similar to the original Tiger Lily (Reviews here)? It's absolutely gorgeous on me, and all I have is one little imp. :(

This has probably been asked a million times but, is there anything similiar to Antique Lace. Either GC or LE. I love AL and would love to be able to find something similiar to it :cry2:

What resembles Asphodel? I adore it, and it's gone. :cry2:

You could try something with a strong narcissus or hyacinth note...

Thanx...will run a search and see what I come up with! :)

I absolutely adore The Coil and only have an imp. I'd definitely like to track down a bottle at some point, but in the meantime, does anyone know if Volt is at all similar in feel?

This has probably been asked a million times but, is there anything similiar to Antique Lace. Either GC or LE. I love AL and would love to be able to find something similiar to it :cry2:

Chairmolokom & nrl1978 - you can do a search in this thread once you are in it by finding the "search" box (with the forum skin I use, it's up near the top right of the screen) - make sure it says "in this topic" and then put in your search string. Yes, there are tons of suggestions in this thread for Antique Lace, and The Coil is also discussed relatively recently (scroll to the top of the page).

plainjean - Searching for Tiger Lily on the forum is trickier because so many other results come up, but reading through the review thread you might be able to find some comparisons. I noticed that someone felt that the floral had some similarities to Alice, and the honey-note to O, so maybe some layering? You've probably tried those two already, though, but maybe there are other comparisons.

Thank you! I didn't even think about the search function :blush: There are a few that come up that I haven't tried yet, so I'll have to track them down and hope for the best :D

I was wearing Tiger Lily on the beautiful golden day in early fall when I got engaged to my fiance. I was planning on wearing it on my wedding day as well. :cry2:

Are there any creamy honey florals that are similar? Maybe one of the Apiary scents?

From my research thus far it's looking like I will have to turn to O for my honeyed goodness, but I am not sure about the amber component.