Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
darklorelei

When your favorite GC blends are discontinued

I am heartbroken because this is a really good scent on me and it is discontinued. I love it so much. :P

On me it isn't terribly woody, but more light honeyed flowers with wood notes in the background. I don't get the cinnamon and spices that the reviews mentioned at all.

I have Madrake which is very woody. If I layered or mixed just a tiny bit of it with something that has honey and flowers maybe it would smell like Hamadryad? Any suggestions?

I have an imp of Ulalume on the way because a review said it was in the neighborhood of Hamadryad, any other suggestions?

thank you!!!

Edited by Myrrha

I am heartbroken because this is a really good scent on me and it is discontinued. I love it so much. :P

On me it isn't terribly woody, but more light honeyed flowers with wood notes in the background. I don't get the cinnamon and spices that the reviews mentioned at all.

I have Madrake which is very woody. If I layered or mixed just a tiny bit of it with something that has honey and flowers maybe it would smell like Hamadryad? Any suggestions?

I have an imp of Ulalume on the way because a review said it was in the neighborhood of Hamadryad, any other suggestions?

thank you!!!

I too mourn the loss of Hamadryad - it was lovely! It had a lot of apple in it and hesperides is all apple, so that might be good with mandrake - though to me you would still be missing some depth and spices (even though you say you don't normally get them). I believe Ladon is the dragon's blood blend with apple...maybe you could use that with a little mandrake, or do a mandrake, hesperides, ladon mix...

I too mourn the loss of Hamadryad - it was lovely! It had a lot of apple in it and hesperides is all apple, so that might be good with mandrake - though to me you would still be missing some depth and spices (even though you say you don't normally get them). I believe Ladon is the dragon's blood blend with apple...maybe you could use that with a little mandrake, or do a mandrake, hesperides, ladon mix...

Thanks for answering. It is good to know that Hamadryad has apple in it. I've noticed that apple is good on me so I will try Hesperides. Dragon's blood seems to not work so well on me but maybe in this case I should try it. I could look for something a little spicy to throw in there. I have al-shairan which has a lot of cinnamon, maybe a tiny touch of that would be good, or some Gingerbread Poppet.

I tried Sepulcher tonight. I love the lily in it - I think that was the part I loved - and the coldness of it. Rose actually behaved and everything. It's just that I want a more... positive name. Anything similar, and still in stock somewhere, that has that cold lily smell to it?

... and I think Day of the Skulls is very similar to Kostnice. It's more floral, but close enough that if you miss Kostnice, you should definitely give it a try.

One of my all time favorites is Glitter, the original version. It's lemon and heliotrope with a kick of musk, and dries down to a warm muskiness :P But it's hard to find. A couple years ago, suggestions were made - Feu Follet (tried it, don't think I liked it?) and Fae, which I think is kind of, um, pale?

Any suggestions for a replacement?

One of my all time favorites is Glitter, the original version. It's lemon and heliotrope with a kick of musk, and dries down to a warm muskiness :P But it's hard to find. A couple years ago, suggestions were made - Feu Follet (tried it, don't think I liked it?) and Fae, which I think is kind of, um, pale?

I don't have a perfect answer - but I think the description of Fae as a pale cousin of Glitter is spot on.

Heliotrope is a weird note for me, so many scents with it haven't worked on my skin, Glitter and Fae included, but I think maybe exploring some heliotrope scents might get you headed in the right direction. Have you tried Lolita? I'm thinking the verbena might give you some of the tartness (it was very orange-blossomy on me, though, so it's not one that made it into my permanent collection.)

Carnaval Diabolique’s unfortunately not a GC, but at least it’s LE that’s still around - and on me it’s mostly heliotrope and lemon, wrapped in soft layers of opium and musk, with the added twist of vanilla and coconut.

While nothing can replace Carnivale, it's getting pretty rare around the forum. Lolita has a really good heliotrope note that mimics Carnivale's and layered with Florence it's a nice approximation of the original scent.

Hello,

Does anybody know what BPAL oil would be a good replacement for the discontinued Dublin scent?

I'm normally not very fond of green scents but I did love Dublin.

I liked how it was green and fresh but also very feminine, floral and somewhat sweet.

I usually find green scents to sharp or to unisex.

Does anyone knows a good substitute?

Its been awhile since I tried it, but I remember Dublin being a pale green feeling? Ides of March maybe? but for the sweetness you mention.... Did you try/like Leanan Sidhe or the Unicorn? Those seem to be the first rec people give.

Its been awhile since I tried it, but I remember Dublin being a pale green feeling? Ides of March maybe? but for the sweetness you mention.... Did you try/like Leanan Sidhe or the Unicorn? Those seem to be the first rec people give.

Thank you, I'll try those with my next order.

I believe that Dublin was oakmoss (not sure though) en white roses.

And yes, pale green feeling sounds like Dublin to me.

I see someone else compared it to Snow Bunny as well -- did you get a pine scent on your skin?

I see someone else compared it to Snow Bunny as well -- did you get a pine scent on your skin?

Now I don't think I would say it was a pine scent, it was softer than that.

I recently tried Masabakes (I think it was a freebie from an ebay order). And I'm in LOVE only to find that it's been very recently discontinued. :cry2: Any suggestions on similar available scents??

Sh!t, Antique Lace was on my list of loves. I'm glad i have a nearly full bottle, but wish i had been a bit more proactive in getting a back-up. I truly will be keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't get entirely discontinued. And i'm going to hoard a couple more bottles of The Girl, since it's a brilliant vanilla-musk that i feel is very good for everyday wear (in the event that AL really does go bye-bye for good).

I found this over in BPAL Chatter and had to quote it - until Hillary mentioned it, I hadn't put these two together. Both are vanilla-y, lightly floral light musks (I know The Girl doesn't have vanilla listed as a note, but neither does Antique Lace!) AL is deeper and richer, The Girl is brighter and more crystalline. But if you like AL and are upset about its hiatus, try The Girl.

Hmm, weird. With my skin chemistry and to my nose, AL is much more similar to Mouse's Long & Sad Tale than to the Girl. I'll have to retest The Girl, then. :twisted:

I think maybe with me, the linen notes in AL are similar to the crisp/crystalline notes in The Girl and that's part of the similarity I'm noticing, too. With MLST, I don't get the musky undertones and I tend to amp the sweet pea (which doesn't bother me, it is one of my favorite GC scents ;) ) With the way that our chemistries can vary, it's definitely another one worth trying for anyone who missed out on buying AL or who wants to try to conserve their supply until we know if it will be around permanently again.

How strong is the jasmine in The Girl? Has anyone who has a problem with BPAL's jasmine tried it? (I'd love an AL replacement but jasmine is usually a deal-breaker note for me - turns anything bitter and acrid.)

How strong is the jasmine in The Girl? Has anyone who has a problem with BPAL's jasmine tried it? (I'd love an AL replacement but jasmine is usually a deal-breaker note for me - turns anything bitter and acrid.)

Jasmine is a dicey note for me as well, but it did not stand out in The Girl. I didn't notice it at all.

To me, The Girl smelled very much like a soft, round, slightly floral vanilla musk blend -- actually, you know what it really reminds me of? "Moonlight Path" from Bath and Body Works.

So, just my luck, when I place my first order from the lab one of the scents I really wanted to try seems like it may be discontinued! :cry2:

I know there's nothing exactly like it, but are there any GC scents that come close and I can try instead?

I've not tried AL but check out the vanilla thread because it's mentioned a lot there. Mouses Sad & Long Tail is most often compared to it as having similarly strong and pure vanilla. But you might also want to try any strongly vanilla blend.

Vanilla Thread

Edited by HamletsKeeper

morocco is very much like antique lace.

morocoo is a hard one as there is batch variation - for some it it can be cedary, and for some, the amaing vanilla musk spice. but it's a good check for AL.

giabee, I'm sure that AL similarities have come up before, so try searching the thread. It was discontinued once before, so there has to be some good advice around here somewhere already.

On me, personally, AL is mostly violet and sweet vanilla. It is nothing like Morocco, for me, except that they both have a sweet vanilla note. If I were going to look for an AL clone, I'd probably start with Faith and then add Mouse's Long Sad Tale or something like that -- a scent with vanilla and other dry, lightly floral notes.