Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
CiaoBonefish

Scent Recs based on your PERSONALITY!

Hello everyone!

I received my 6 imps a few days ago and if I wasn't hooked before (which I most definitely was) I'm hooked now for life!!! Seeing as I am such a newbie to everything BPAL, I would absolutely love it if someone could recommend some scents for me based on my personality.

I am 19 years old, a Pisces (born on the Aquarian/Pisces cusp), blue eyes, bisexual, I love to act, read, paint, play the piano - if it's creative, then I love to dabble in it! I'm attending University at the moment for a Bachelor of Arts and the courses I'm doing at the moment are Drama, English, History, and Film, Media & Cultural Studies. Even though I know it sounds trite and naive, my dream is to be an Actress. Ever since I was little I have had a passion for the Occult and have had some of the 'things' that come with the gift of Second Sight. For one example, when I was about one and a half I told my Mother that in my past life I was a male farmer from Scotland with 5 children, "those horses with the very large feet" and a wife!

Some words that people in my life have used to describe me are "ethereal" - "dramatic" - "complex" - "intense"

I've always loved Gothic Horror (my 3 favourite gothic horror literary texts being Wuthering Heights, Dracula & Jane Eyre), the Renaissance, Pirates etc. A few people have actually told me that my face/features are like out of a Botticelli painting - not that I'm saying I look like Venus, or anything as vain as that haha.

Two big role models of mine are Florence Welch (from Florence and the Machine) and Helena Bonham Carter. Game of Thrones-wise, I love me some Margaery Tyrell!

If anyone could help a baby BPALer find her scent, it would be you guys! I would be so grateful for any suggestions as it is slightly overwhelming looking at all the gorgeous descriptions for the vast array of scents!

Thank you so much! (And I promise once I'm more knowledgable on what the perfumes smell like, I'll be recommending so many to all of you!)

xx

Some more GC suggestions (:

Anne Bonny- Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood and frankincense.

Bess- Rosemary, orange flower, grape spirit, five rose variants, lemon peel and mint.

Mata Hari- five rose with soft jasmine, vanilla, fig, Tonka bean, mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean.

Morgause- a bouquet of five night blooming flowers deepened by dusky violet, purple fruits and the barest breath of medieval incense.

Ouija- oak, rosewood, teak, wispy blue lilac, tea rose, dried white rose and ethereal osmanthus.

I figured I would join in. Despite having an account here since 2011, I never have tried any BPALs. For the past three years I've been battling an eating disorder and hospitalization for a suicide attempt. I was sniffing some perfumes a while back thinking "Ugh why does everything smell like Burberry even when it isn't Burberry?" and then remembered this site. I'm trying to create a new identity for myself that does not revolve around how thin I am or how depressed I am, and figuring out what I want to smell like seems to be a good start. So maybe not exactly thread relevant (after all, this isn't just who I am but also who I would like to be) but I would still like recommendations none the less.

I like to be sarcastic, and have a dark sense of humor but never cruel. My humor also leans towards self-deprecation rather than at the expense of others. No one should make other feel like less so they can feel like more.

I like drawing and writing, and would like to start a web comic. I also crochet, usually stuffed animals, and I wish I had more people to give crocheted stuffed animals to. Ironically, I am an excellent cook, and have mastered the art of making macaroni and cheese. I'm also a librarian.

No idea what I want to major in. The future is scary and a source of great anxiety.

The best compliment I ever received was that I have an animated face. It kinda showed they were paying attention and seeing things others might not, which is how I try to give compliments in turn. If you have great hair, you probably hear it all the time, so people might not notice how cute it is when they scrunch up their nose when they think, or how gracefully they use body language when gossiping.

I'd like to project confidence: someone who is assured (and perhaps slightly haughty about it.) I think that's the main thing. I'd like to seem like I like myself, and am confident in who I am. I'd also like some "happy" scents, something when I want to bring out a goofier side that I should probably familiarize myself with. I'd also like to have an air of mystery to me, but not necessarily a "cold" mystery. More like that magnetic kind of mystery where you just want to know that person because your life would be brighter for it.

Not entirely sure where my tastes lie. The two perfumes I have tried and liked best were Tokyo Milk's Tainted Love (Fragrance Notes: Dark Vanilla Bean, Orchid, White Tea, Sandalwood ) and Dior's Hypnotic Poison (Bitter Almond, Caraway Spice, Sambac Jasmine, Cinnamon, Tuberose, Vanilla, Musk, Mosses, Jucarunda Wood) But they both seemed to be missing some spark that made me love them.

As far as BPAL scents I'm interested in, I have complied a list of things I think I might like (Faiza the Black Mamba was recommended to those who like Hypnotic Poison, and WILF, Werepuppy, The Illustrated Woman, Womb Furie 2014, Pumpkin Princess and Pumpkin Latte sound promising, although the season might be affecting my tastes on the latter two, and The Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit mostly for the coffee note) but I am very open to (and deeply appreciate) suggestions.

I'm re-reading this and this is a mess of a post jeepers how do I expect anyone to be able to recommend anything with a post like this?

I figured I would join in.

Welcome to the wonderful world of BPAL! :)

I'm not very good at this, but I can try and give you a few General Catalog recommendations that are easy to obtain:

Katharina A strong, willful blend with a soft, utterly lovely soul: white musk with a trickle of bright, sharp apricot and orange blossom.

Morgause A bouquet of five night-blooming flowers deepened by dusky violet, purple fruits and the barest breath of medieval incenses.

The Mouse's Long and Sad Tale Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

Mata Hari Her scent is striking and bold with a delicate yet dark undertone: five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean.

Intrigue Black palm, with cocoa, fig and shadowy wooded notes.

Veil White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

Dorian A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Spellbound An irresistibly sexual, utterly rapturous blend of three roses, radiant amber, and sensual red musk.

I hope you find lots of scents to love in the time to come :smile:

This looks fun! I've been hovering around the BPAL forums for quite a while (like a really long time), but just placed my first order last month. I would love some suggestions! I'm bad at talking about myself, so this is going to be a bit scattered.

My personality is... Admittedly somewhat prickly. I take myself too seriously. I can be a little (or a lot) over sensitive. My sense of humor is pretty dry; usually when I make a joke, people don't get that I'm joking and kind of just stare at me. Awkward. I can be pretty moody. I'm bad at hiding my feelings. I think that's where my 'prickly' sort of reputation comes from. If I'm not in the mood to talk, I am just not in the mood to talk. I can't fake it. I'm obsessive. If I say or do something awkward, I will replay it in my head over and over and over. I don't always take kindly to sarcasm and "mean humor." In my opinion, whatever happened to just being nice? I care a lot about people, but I'm not particularly 'warm.' I'm kind of emotionally unavailable. I don't like talking about how I feel, or opening up, or being vulnerable. I need a lot of space. I'm hard on myself; I'm very understanding of others, but my standards for myself are incredibly high. I hate the way I look. I'm not necessarily shy, but I have trouble speaking up in large groups, mainly because I refuse to talk over people or force people to listen to me. Sometimes I let go of relationships too easily, because I'm not really willing to try and make people care about me.

It's easier for me to talk about my flaws than my strengths, but I'll try! I go out of my way to try and be kind to people. I make a point to never say anything behind someone's back that I would be afraid to say to their face. People are sometimes impressed by my toughness; I love being with people, but I don't need people. I can manage on my own, thank you very much. Multiple professors have commented on my determination, describing me as the kind of person who just doesn't let go of goals and tasks. I give people second chances (and third, and fourth, and fifth chances). I don't have casual friends; you're either just an acquaintance or a friend for life. If you're one of my friends for life, I'll throw my heart and soul into our relationship. I'm usually the friend that cares the most and tries the hardest. I legitimately think about how my actions affect others. I can own up to my mistakes. If I screw something up, I'm not scared to admit it. I'm an okay liar, but I never lie, because if I do, it rips me up inside until I end up confessing. I think rules are made to be followed. It's like, it's okay with me if YOU don't follow the rules, but I'm following them. SOMEBODY has to follow the rules or this whole society thing breaks down.

My major is wildlife biology. I do research on bats (field research, I don't hurt them or anything!). I love hiking. When I hike, I'm mainly looking for creatures and wildflowers. One of my favorite things to do is go out into the woods, take pictures of wildflowers, and look them up in my field guides and learn their names. I love seeing animals on hikes, especially snakes, frogs, or salamanders. Cool bugs are good too. I also love caving. Something about being completely surrounded by rock is very grounding for me. I love nature, but I'm not a typically outdoorsy person. My diet sucks, I'm in fairly good shape but not great shape, and I spend most of my free time watching Netflix. I love hard, hands on work, but I like to look good doing it; I'm that girl who shows up to 5 AM field work with a full face of makeup. There's nothing I'd rather be doing than either drinking wine on the couch while having a Netflix marathon with my best friend, or sitting around a campfire trading stories and drinking beer with my people.

People either love me or hate me, which I get. I either love or hate me too, depending on the day.

This looks fun!

Hello and welcome to the world of BPAL! It's exciting waiting for the first order, right? :)

Anyway, I can try and give you some ideas - they are completely based off my gut feeling, so….but anyway, here goes:

Cheshire Cat Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender.

Fenris Wolf The raw, untamable power of chaos. Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.

Bensiabel Plum juice, lilac, leather, and a smattering of herbs.

The Dodo Red musk, lemon peel, sugar cane, cassia, white sandalwood, mango, and agarwood.

Ranger Untamed wilderness: buckskin accord with Terebinth pine, Russian birch, black ironwood, elder bark, hay, armoise, juniper, patchouli, galangal root, Spanish moss, and cabreuva.

Lawful Rigid oak, blue chamomile, rhubarb, and fig leaf.

Schrödinger's Cat A paradoxical scent experiment! - tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz, and chocolate peppermint.

I’m not new, but I have always wanted to get a recommendation on this thread. I have tried many scents but I am always looking for recommendations. I just don’t really know how to describe myself. I FEEL things deeply but articulating them can be difficult. I have typed this out like 3 times now, trying to understand who I am is hard for me. So here goes.

Half-Elf (I'd go with V5) - White sandalwood, beeswax, white tea leaf, oud, and a hint of sophisticated urban musk.

Morocco - Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale - Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

White Rabbit - Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

Honey Moon - Five different honeys, ranging from pale and sweet to deep and heady, with hints of jasmine, white gardenia, Hawaiian white ginger and thyme.

Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure - Black patchouli, honey, and thick vanilla amber.

Snow White - Flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

Contemplating the Moon Through an Open Window - Milk accord, tuberose, oakmoss, Asian pear, opoponax, and carrot seed.

Loosening of the Obi - Rice wine, white sandalwood, vanilla bean, and white musk.

Lamia - Pale orchid, vanilla amber, black currant, white peach, champaca, coconut, Arabian myrrh, Burmese vetiver, and oude.

Love and Sleep - Fig milk, vanilla, orchid, and ylang ylang.

Hal - Saffron-infused bourbon vanilla, blackened honey, Kashmir wood, Atlas cedar, ambrette seed, hay, and Egyptian jasmine absolute.

I’m not new, but I have always wanted to get a recommendation on this thread. I have tried many scents but I am always looking for recommendations. I just don’t really know how to describe myself. I FEEL things deeply but articulating them can be difficult. I have typed this out like 3 times now, trying to understand who I am is hard for me. So here goes.

Half-Elf (I'd go with V5) - White sandalwood, beeswax, white tea leaf, oud, and a hint of sophisticated urban musk.

Morocco - Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

Mouse's Long and Sad Tale - Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood.

White Rabbit - Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

Honey Moon - Five different honeys, ranging from pale and sweet to deep and heady, with hints of jasmine, white gardenia, Hawaiian white ginger and thyme.

Feed Me and Fill Me With Pleasure - Black patchouli, honey, and thick vanilla amber.

Snow White - Flurries of virgin snow, crisp winter wind and the faintest breath of night-blooming flowers.

Contemplating the Moon Through an Open Window - Milk accord, tuberose, oakmoss, Asian pear, opoponax, and carrot seed.

Loosening of the Obi - Rice wine, white sandalwood, vanilla bean, and white musk.

Lamia - Pale orchid, vanilla amber, black currant, white peach, champaca, coconut, Arabian myrrh, Burmese vetiver, and oude.

Love and Sleep - Fig milk, vanilla, orchid, and ylang ylang.

Hal - Saffron-infused bourbon vanilla, blackened honey, Kashmir wood, Atlas cedar, ambrette seed, hay, and Egyptian jasmine absolute.

Pretty good run down there. Most on that list are in my top favorites. I have been dying to try the others. Thanks so much!

Pretty good run down there. Most on that list are in my top favorites. I have been dying to try the others. Thanks so much!

Oh, good! :) I was feeling the sweet honey and vanilla for you due to your loving/emotional nature, introversion and passion for the outdoors. The cooler blends like Snow White and White Rabbit seemed gentle but intriguing enough to suit your adventurous side.

I'm very new here (waiting for my first order of imps), so I'm not in any position to make recommendations myself [sigh]. I'm a 22 year old guy (I guess? Idk I've been playing around with gender a lot recently). Sun in Cancer, moon in Taurus, Sagittarius rising. I'm very academically oriented in an "I'm interested" way, but not in an "I care about grades" way. I went into college thinking I wanted to study biology but came out with a German lit major with a smattering of Russian, history, and studio art for good measure. I am often going back and forth between the US and Germany. Right now I'm in Dresden teaching English. Even though I am very outgoing, I am often alone in foreign countries, so I try to convince myself I dig solitude as much as possible.

I feel like a lot of people basically "get" me right away and it's very hard for me to conceal anything from them, but most people think I am a total mystery (which I do NOT understand at all lol). One time someone told me I reminded them of a chimney sweep.

I am super into literature. Some of my favesies are Arthur Schnitzler (a Viennese author from the turn of the century who was the first to introduce stream-of-consciousness to a German-speaking public), Virginia Woolf, Thomas Mann, Toni Morrison, Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, and Henry James. I'm also interested in film, esp. Polish film (Kieslowski, anyone?). In terms of music, I love twee (sort of gentle, sad punk), lo-fi, and pretty much any sort of bedroom pop DIY stuff you can throw at me. That being said, my favorite singer is Joanna Newsom, which might be sort of an anomaly. I guess my interests are somewhat arcane, but I don't think of them that way and that isn't what attracts me to them.

Should I give you some of my favorite notes? Nah, I think it's more fun if I don't.

I guess that's it. I am excited to explore BPAL and be a more ~active~ contributor soon!!

Should I give you some of my favorite notes? Nah, I think it's more fun if I don't.

It is more fun that way!

These are all GC (general catalogue) and in order of what popped into my mind first:

Dorian - A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Dee - soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods

Tavern of Hell - White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey.

Half-Elf - White sandalwood, beeswax, white tea leaf, oud, and a hint of sophisticated urban musk.

Dracul - Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom.

Faustus - frankincense and cinnamon, darkened by violet.

Miskatonic University - The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.

Smokestack - Creosote, coal, and industrial waste.

Moscow - A rich, bold blend of imperial rose, carnation, lush jasmine, lily of the valley, dark musk, amber, bergamot and gilded tangerine

Libertine - Rosewood and chamomile with bergamot, violet, red sandalwood, primrose and Arabian musk.

Czernobog - A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein

Mad Hatter - A gentlemen's lavender-citron cologne unhinged by the feral pungence of black musk and a paroxysm of pennyroyal.

It is more fun that way!

These are all GC (general catalogue) and in order of what popped into my mind first:

Dorian - A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea.

Dee - soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods

Tavern of Hell - White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey.

Half-Elf - White sandalwood, beeswax, white tea leaf, oud, and a hint of sophisticated urban musk.

Dracul - Black musk, tobacco, fir, balsam of peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom.

Faustus - frankincense and cinnamon, darkened by violet.

Miskatonic University - The scent of Irish coffee, dusty tomes and polished oakwood halls.

Smokestack - Creosote, coal, and industrial waste.

Moscow - A rich, bold blend of imperial rose, carnation, lush jasmine, lily of the valley, dark musk, amber, bergamot and gilded tangerine

Libertine - Rosewood and chamomile with bergamot, violet, red sandalwood, primrose and Arabian musk.

Czernobog - A combination of three musks, with splashes of dark myrrh, vetiver and mullein

Mad Hatter - A gentlemen's lavender-citron cologne unhinged by the feral pungence of black musk and a paroxysm of pennyroyal.

wow so many of these sound great! i was already dying to try dorian but i will def be adding a few more to my list.

Greetings, earthlings!

I'm new to BPAL and dying to try some new scents. I recently gave up on the whole mass market fragrance thing because quite frankly, it was just too boring.

I'm a 20 year old double major in physical anthropology and French, with a minor in history. I'm average height girl with strawberry-blonde hair, incredibly fair skin, and green eyes.

Most of my life, I have been viewed as "one of the guys". I would rather be eating pizza and watching hockey with my guy friends than watching a romcom with my female friends. I really don't get along with women all that well in general- I find them too catty and manipulative.

I am a very blunt person, and I pride myself on this. I am also incredibly outgoing.

As for hobbies, I run a fairly small beauty blog, watch/read/follow pretty much any fandom you care to think of, game fairly obsessively, and read a lot. I am also a classical violinist, a (retired) ballerina, an actress, and a fencer. I am a crack shot with a rifle, and I'm also a decent mechanic and a VERY good cook.

Musically speaking, I love classical (Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi, and Bach), AC/DC, Nirvana, Marina and the Diamonds, A Fine Frenzy, Maroon 5, and Bastille.

In my day to day life, you'll most likely find me dressed in jeans, boots, and sweaters. I'll either be in the library or in the anthropology lab playing with dead bodies.

As far as fragrances go, I really dislike anything too overly floral, cloying, or sweet. I amp floral notes like crazy, and as such, tend to steer clear of them.

I hope that's enough to be going on.........

Thanks in advance!

Greetings, earthlings!

I'm new to BPAL and dying to try some new scents. I recently gave up on the whole mass market fragrance thing because quite frankly, it was just too boring.

Hey there, I know this is a slight diversion from the thread's aim, but I wanted to comment on the "women are catty and manipulative" angle. I find that this is really no better than saying that "all men are stupid and gross," etc. I understand that in your experience the women you've met may have acted that way - but I really feel that generalizing an entire gender based on those you've been around is very unfair and damaging. Not just for other women, but for yourself. Because for every gossipy type you've met, there's another laid-back, drama-free person like yourself that simply enjoys gaming and sports. You'll find that the majority of people on the BPAL forums are women... and they are intelligent, fun, chill and overall awesome people. I myself am a gamer geek that would rather watch kung fu movies over "chick flicks" anyday, but I've known plenty of guys that give my female friends a run for their money when it comes to emotional drama.

So... I guess my point in all this is just that I hope you'll consider looking at your preconceptions again. You seem like a fun person and I would be bummed if you were to make assumptions about others just because of their gender. As women we're already dealing with the short end of the stick when it comes to everyday sexism, rape culture, internalized misogyny and crap like that, so while I'm not saying you should get along with every women because SISTERHOOD, I just hope you'll give them the benefit of the doubt. :)

Anyway! Let's get on to some recs.

Tombstone - A rugged, warm blend of vanilla, balsam and sassafras layered over Virginia cedar.

Ginny, the Reaper of Vengeance - Sharp tobacco flower and white cognac, a thin layer of smoke, and dusty black pepper pierced by the amber of her eyes.

Mr. Ibis - Papyrus, vanilla flower, Egyptian musk, African musk, aloe ferox, white sandalwood.

Hunter - Leonine amber, tanned hides, clove, and clary sage.

Tristran - Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.

Embalming Fluid - A light, pure scent: white musk, green tea, aloe and lemon.

Katharina - A strong, willful blend with a soft, utterly lovely soul: white musk with a trickle of bright, sharp apricot and orange blossom.

No. 93 Engine - Balm of Gilead, benzoin, frankincense, balsam of peru, beeswax, saffron, galbanum, calamus, hyssop, mastic, lemon balm, and white sage.

The Antikythera Mechanism - Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.

Anne Bonny - A blend of Indonesian red patchouli, red sandalwood, and frankincense.

"Hey there, I know this is a slight diversion from the thread's aim, but I wanted to comment on the "women are catty and manipulative" angle. I find that this is really no better than saying that "all men are stupid and gross," etc. I understand that in your experience the women you've met may have acted that way - but I really feel that generalizing an entire gender based on those you've been around is very unfair and damaging. Not just for other women, but for yourself. Because for every gossipy type you've met, there's another laid-back, drama-free person like yourself that simply enjoys gaming and sports. You'll find that the majority of people on the BPAL forums are women... and they are intelligent, fun, chill and overall awesome people. I myself am a gamer geek that would rather watch kung fu movies over "chick flicks" anyday, but I've known plenty of guys that give my female friends a run for their money when it comes to emotional drama.

So... I guess my point in all this is just that I hope you'll consider looking at your preconceptions again. You seem like a fun person and I would be bummed if you were to make assumptions about others just because of their gender. As women we're already dealing with the short end of the stick when it comes to everyday sexism, rape culture, internalized misogyny and crap like that, so while I'm not saying you should get along with every women because SISTERHOOD, I just hope you'll give them the benefit of the doubt. :)"

I totally understand where you are coming from with that statement- in no way was it meant to generalize the female population. I am simply speaking from my own life experiences. IN MY EXPERIENCE, I find most women MY AGE to be very difficult. That is not to say that I don't know any women I get along with, or indeed any men I can't stand to spend time with. I am sure there are a lot of women who feel the same as I do (in fact, my roommate shares my disposition on this matter). I just don't seem to be able to find them anywhere!

I would also like to clarify: I do not judge a person based solely on their gender. I dislike people individually.

In conclusion, I do apologize if my post struck you in a negative way. I have experienced my fair share of sexism in my life, and would agree that as women, we need to support and stand up for each other. I simply intended to give an impression of my personality as the others on this forum had done, and I felt that an important fact to mention.

Thank you so much for the recommendations!

I thought "Embalming Fluid" was pretty apt, considering what I do.

Edited by hagiasofia40

I totally understand where you are coming from with that statement- in no way was it meant to generalize the female population. I am simply speaking from my own life experiences. IN MY EXPERIENCE, I find most women MY AGE to be very difficult. That is not to say that I don't know any women I get along with, or indeed any men I can't stand to spend time with. I am sure there are a lot of women who feel the same as I do (in fact, my roommate shares my disposition on this matter). I just don't seem to be able to find them anywhere!

I would also like to clarify: I do not judge a person based solely on their gender. I dislike people individually.

In conclusion, I do apologize if my post struck you in a negative way. I have experienced my fair share of sexism in my life, and would agree that as women, we need to support and stand up for each other. I simply intended to give an impression of my personality as the others on this forum had done, and I felt that an important fact to mention.

No need for apologies, I'm glad you're open to friendships with everyone! I figured you might have meant that the women in your "circle" weren't the right type but wasn't sure, so I appreciate the clarification. I know it can be tough to find people (heck, of any gender) you jive with, but it's nice to know you don't prejudge.

Heh, I thought you might appreciate the Embalming Fluid reference. For some reason you give me sort of a modern day explorer vibe, with the interest in history and anthropology, plus the bonus of an intellectual side. Those blends (to me at least) convey strength with femininity and a bit of adventure.

No need for apologies, I'm glad you're open to friendships with everyone! I figured you might have meant that the women in your "circle" weren't the right type but wasn't sure, so I appreciate the clarification. I know it can be tough to find people (heck, of any gender) you jive with, but it's nice to know you don't prejudge.

Heh, I thought you might appreciate the Embalming Fluid reference. For some reason you give me sort of a modern day explorer vibe, with the interest in history and anthropology, plus the bonus of an intellectual side. Those blends (to me at least) convey strength with femininity and a bit of adventure.

I have always harbored a secret desire to be the female Indiana Jones! I'm very impressed that you were able to guess that.

Tristram is one of the two scents I have tried, along with Antony (Illyria), and I love it!

I'm very new here (waiting for my first order of imps), so I'm not in any position to make recommendations myself [sigh]. I'm a 22 year old guy (I guess? Idk I've been playing around with gender a lot recently). Sun in Cancer, moon in Taurus, Sagittarius rising. I'm very academically oriented in an "I'm interested" way, but not in an "I care about grades" way. I went into college thinking I wanted to study biology but came out with a German lit major with a smattering of Russian, history, and studio art for good measure. I am often going back and forth between the US and Germany. Right now I'm in Dresden teaching English. Even though I am very outgoing, I am often alone in foreign countries, so I try to convince myself I dig solitude as much as possible.

I feel like a lot of people basically "get" me right away and it's very hard for me to conceal anything from them, but most people think I am a total mystery (which I do NOT understand at all lol). One time someone told me I reminded them of a chimney sweep.

I am super into literature. Some of my favesies are Arthur Schnitzler (a Viennese author from the turn of the century who was the first to introduce stream-of-consciousness to a German-speaking public), Virginia Woolf, Thomas Mann, Toni Morrison, Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, and Henry James. I'm also interested in film, esp. Polish film (Kieslowski, anyone?). In terms of music, I love twee (sort of gentle, sad punk), lo-fi, and pretty much any sort of bedroom pop DIY stuff you can throw at me. That being said, my favorite singer is Joanna Newsom, which might be sort of an anomaly. I guess my interests are somewhat arcane, but I don't think of them that way and that isn't what attracts me to them.

I guess that's it. I am excited to explore BPAL and be a more ~active~ contributor soon!!

Just a few off the top of my head (:

Arcana- The essence of magickal enigmas and long-forgotten esoteric mysteries. Frankincense, rosemary, lavender, neroli, and verbena.

Event Horizon- A disconcerting scent, heavy and oppressive, through which no light, no matter, and no spirit can escape. Black opium, labdanum, opoponax, black orchid, and benzoin.

Masquerade- A festive, dazzling blend, layered in mystery and intrigue. Patchouli, ambergris, carnation and orange blossom.

Wilde- A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.

Languor- An opiate torpor, soporific, trancelike, and sublimely languid. A poet's morphine dream, a listless journey into a gentle dream and the precipice of intoxicated madness. Paperwhite and black narcissus, three lilies, black poppy and tuberose and a hint of hypnotic opium den haze.

Lear- A regal, commanding scent, but poignant. White cedarwood, blue sage and bay leaf.

Edited by Haltija

I've posted a few reviews on BPAL, but never really joined in discussion until now. Hi everyone!

I'm a 22-year-old woman. Capricorn, with Scorpio rising. I'm from Chicago, and feel most at home in large cities (nature makes me itch). I am finishing a degree in English and Creative Writing, and when I graduate I'll have a finished novel ready for publication (it's a horror story about a boy who loves Death). I plan to do volunteer work in China next year, and go to Laos to teach English. I'm also an artist, making paintings within the digital medium. I used to take voice lessons, and still occasionally sing Broadway songs even though I no longer want to be an actress. I'm obsessed with fashion and beauty, and hate to leave the house without makeup, yet I'm not a sucker for designer brands and prefer to find obscure treasures that no one else would have. My style varies from day to day. Sometimes I want to look like a pin-up girl, other times like a vampire queen, yet other times like a military officer. Because of the way I look, men assume I'm a vixen, but I'm really not interested in sex or romance at all. Sometimes I wish I was a big fabulous drag queen so I could wear what I want without people casting assumptions.

I'm an extreme recluse and spend the vast majority of my time in my room, either browsing the internet, reading, writing, painting, or playing computer games. I simply don't find other people to be that interesting when all they do is ask questions and give compliments. I lose my patience with others easily. The few people I can actually connect with are usually much older than me.

I'm a heavy drinker. Absinthe is my favorite. It looks, smells, and tastes amazing. I make a lot of experimental cocktails (combining absinthe, nutella, mint and almond milk is a favorite). Jagermeister is another staple. I prefer gin to vodka any day, and not just in martinis. I hate beer and am pretty ambivalent to wine.

I have a very serious-looking face with defined cheekbones, arched eyebrows, dark eyes, a high forehead, and wide, full lips. My body is very petite with a neat hourglass shape. My posture is just right for walking in six-inch heels. I have an extremely quiet, still disposition, which seems to attract animals both wild and domestic.

• An RPG character test tells me I'd be a Chaotic Neutral Elf Wizard/Sorcerer.
  • Political alignment: Authoritarian with centrist views on economics.
  • My current signature BPAL scent is Tavern of Hell.
  • Myers-Briggs type is INTP.
  • Not sure what my Hogwarts house is other than DEFINITELY NOT HUFFLEPUFF.

Hellcat was the first that I thought off.

HELLCAT
A soft, sensual, luxuriant blend with a wicked bite: hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

furthermore:

Bordello

A decadent, deep perfume, lusty and luxuriant. The scent evokes images of velvet-lined Old West cathouses, tightly laced corsets, rustling petticoats and coquettish snarls of pleasure. Bawdy plum with amaretto, burgundy wine and black currant.

I like to layer this one with Snake Oil, which is heavenly.

Kabuki

Compelling, complex, and utterly enigmatic: a luxuriant, exotic blend of cherry, red musk, and star anise.

Absinthe and lace

Inspired by Edgar Degas' L'Absinthe, and created in the vein of the Dark Delicacies / Black Phoenix lace-themed collaborations. A scent of dissipation and ennui: green cognac and icy absinthe, louched, spilling onto lace that is drooping with neglect and darkened by tobacco smoke.

Funny thing I see just now: all of the three first ones have 'luxuriant' in their description.

Just a few off the top of my head (:

these look great as well! i am trying to experiment a little with scents that incorporate subtle florals and a few of these definitely seem like they could fit the bill

I've posted a few reviews on BPAL, but never really joined in discussion until now. Hi everyone!

I'm a 22-year-old woman. Capricorn, with Scorpio rising. I'm from Chicago, and feel most at home in large cities (nature makes me itch). I am finishing a degree in English and Creative Writing, and when I graduate I'll have a finished novel ready for publication (it's a horror story about a boy who loves Death). I plan to do volunteer work in China next year, and go to Laos to teach English. I'm also an artist, making paintings within the digital medium. I used to take voice lessons, and still occasionally sing Broadway songs even though I no longer want to be an actress. I'm obsessed with fashion and beauty, and hate to leave the house without makeup, yet I'm not a sucker for designer brands and prefer to find obscure treasures that no one else would have. My style varies from day to day. Sometimes I want to look like a pin-up girl, other times like a vampire queen, yet other times like a military officer. Because of the way I look, men assume I'm a vixen, but I'm really not interested in sex or romance at all. Sometimes I wish I was a big fabulous drag queen so I could wear what I want without people casting assumptions.

I'm an extreme recluse and spend the vast majority of my time in my room, either browsing the internet, reading, writing, painting, or playing computer games. I simply don't find other people to be that interesting when all they do is ask questions and give compliments. I lose my patience with others easily. The few people I can actually connect with are usually much older than me.

I'm a heavy drinker. Absinthe is my favorite. It looks, smells, and tastes amazing. I make a lot of experimental cocktails (combining absinthe, nutella, mint and almond milk is a favorite). Jagermeister is another staple. I prefer gin to vodka any day, and not just in martinis. I hate beer and am pretty ambivalent to wine.

I have a very serious-looking face with defined cheekbones, arched eyebrows, dark eyes, a high forehead, and wide, full lips. My body is very petite with a neat hourglass shape. My posture is just right for walking in six-inch heels. I have an extremely quiet, still disposition, which seems to attract animals both wild and domestic.

• An RPG character test tells me I'd be a Chaotic Neutral Elf Wizard/Sorcerer.
  • Political alignment: Authoritarian with centrist views on economics.
  • My current signature BPAL scent is Tavern of Hell.
  • Myers-Briggs type is INTP.
  • Not sure what my Hogwarts house is other than DEFINITELY NOT HUFFLEPUFF.

Just to name a few (:

Mary Shelley- The scent of absinthe, lightning, stormclouds, and laudanum crashing through a veil of soft Victorian oriental perfume.

Shelley, Byron and Keats- Uncompromising idealism, haunted romanticism, fatal ennui, and a heady amount of scandal and vice: red roses and pale carnation with a draught of laudanum, smears of opium tar, a hint of absinthe, and mercury ointment.

Eden- fig leaf, fig fruit, honeyed almond milk, toasted coconut and sandalwood.

Lady Macbeth- The essence of ambition, covetousness and manipulation: sweet Bordeaux wine, blood red currant, thyme and wild berries.

Hello,

I'm pretty new to this whole thing, but this seems like a good place to get started? I'm doing a phd in comparative literature, which I love because it leaves open a lot of possibilities to work across languages and time periods. That takes up most of my time and energy, since I teach as well as take my own classes. Still, I'm a bit of a news junkie and try to keep up with what's going on in the world (plus, reading newspapers helps keep up my modern languages). Some of my other hobbies are knitting, cooking, and gardening. I'm also a huge fan of professional cycling - I've been watching the Tour de France since I was a kid, and branched out into the classics and women's cycling as well. Although I don't race at all, I do ride a bike a lot myself. For some reason, I like battling my way up hills, but don't really like going down them (I ride my brakes pretty much the whole way down). I have been getting more and more into the mechanical and maintenence side of it recently, too. I really like being able to do small repairs and improvements myself.

I love nature, especially forests and oceans, and really enjoy biking and hiking through them. Still, I'm definitely happier near the stimulation of a big city. While I can be pretty self-sufficient/a bit of a loner, I need to be in a place with restaurants, events, and the like so that there's enough to do when I am feeling social. While I'm usually pretty dependable when people reach out to me, I can be a bit withdrawn at times, and am usually not the one who initiates or plans social events. There are a couple of close friends who've been in my life for a long time, but mostly I tend to have intense, short-lived friendships that just quietly end with us seeing and speaking to each other less over time.

As for fashion, I keep it pretty simple: jeans and flannel or a dress shirt or a tank top depending on the weather and how formal I'm feeling. Sometimes I do dress it up a bit more with a vest or a jacket, plus I have some colored courderoys for fall/winter. And I've been known to rock the hairy legs and dress look on days when I'm feeling particularly bold and feminine.

Well, I hope that's enough info. I'll be interested to see what people recommend.

Hello,

I'm pretty new to this whole thing, but this seems like a good place to get started? I'm doing a phd in comparative literature, which I love because it leaves open a lot of possibilities to work across languages and time periods. That takes up most of my time and energy, since I teach as well as take my own classes. Still, I'm a bit of a news junkie and try to keep up with what's going on in the world (plus, reading newspapers helps keep up my modern languages). Some of my other hobbies are knitting, cooking, and gardening. I'm also a huge fan of professional cycling - I've been watching the Tour de France since I was a kid, and branched out into the classics and women's cycling as well. Although I don't race at all, I do ride a bike a lot myself. For some reason, I like battling my way up hills, but don't really like going down them (I ride my brakes pretty much the whole way down). I have been getting more and more into the mechanical and maintenence side of it recently, too. I really like being able to do small repairs and improvements myself.

I love nature, especially forests and oceans, and really enjoy biking and hiking through them. Still, I'm definitely happier near the stimulation of a big city. While I can be pretty self-sufficient/a bit of a loner, I need to be in a place with restaurants, events, and the like so that there's enough to do when I am feeling social. While I'm usually pretty dependable when people reach out to me, I can be a bit withdrawn at times, and am usually not the one who initiates or plans social events. There are a couple of close friends who've been in my life for a long time, but mostly I tend to have intense, short-lived friendships that just quietly end with us seeing and speaking to each other less over time.

As for fashion, I keep it pretty simple: jeans and flannel or a dress shirt or a tank top depending on the weather and how formal I'm feeling. Sometimes I do dress it up a bit more with a vest or a jacket, plus I have some colored courderoys for fall/winter. And I've been known to rock the hairy legs and dress look on days when I'm feeling particularly bold and feminine.

Well, I hope that's enough info. I'll be interested to see what people recommend.

Welcome to the madness :wave: Here are some of my suggestions

The Book- Old, yellowed parchment paper, tattered leather bindings. There’s a distinct warmth to the scent, though it is ancient and brittle.

The Robotic Scarab- Polished metallic notes, glossy leather, frankincense, star anise, and thin lubricating oils.

Witchblade- Antediluvian, sacred metal, glowing red musk, blessed frankincense, and antiqued amber.

Black Pearl- Evocative of the sea's unplumbed mysteries. Gentle and lovely, but menacing and profound. Coconut, Florentine iris, hazelnut and opalescent white musk.

Mary Read- Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder.

The Forest Reverie- A sunlit ancient forest, dotted with wild roses, grape vine, and queenly lilies, clothed in swirls of opium smoke.

Autumn Overlooked My Knitting- For my knitter posse! A warm scent, as delicate as lace and as soft as cashmere, and as cozy as wool, punctuated with red currant for the blazing red of cochineal and surrounded a border of soft grey ambergris and a swirl of autumn leaves.

Edited by Haltija

Thanks! Mary Reed was already on my list of stuff to try, but the metal scents are pretty interesting, and not something I'd have thought of for myself.