Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

THISBE
Diaphanous sandalwood, pink rose, lotus root, lemon orpur, and iris stained by mulberry juice.

I tested this at WCWC, and was totally overblown by its loveliness. It has that sandalwood note my skin seems to adore, that's sweet and feminine, and that Echo has. The rose is soft and lush and very well behaved, not leaping to the fore as usual and the mulberry juice is a gorgeous almost plummy, wildberry juicy fruitiness. I don't get the iris or lotus, amazingly! So this turns into creamy vanilla sandalwood with soft girly, fresh rose and juicy berry - but it's a very seamless scent that is unified as a whole in the bottle and on my skin. :wub2:

Wet on my skin, right after application, I immediately smell lemon, sandalwood, and mulberry juice. The rose note emerges next, but is a soft rose. While the rose has a soft throw, it still begins to overpower the other notes on my skin and for a while, all I can really smell is the rose. Dry, the rose note still edges out over the other notes, but there is a little hint of "bubble gum" lotus, sandalwood, and mulberry juice.

This has light-medium throw on my skin and faded within 2 hours of application.

But layered with Pyramus, it creates an amazing combination. :wub2:

Thisbe - I have been waiting for years for the Lab to put out a blend that uses mulberry, as it's one of my favorite scents. Pomona was the first and I couldn't smell the Mulberry in it, and this is the second, so I was definitely looking forward to receiving this bottle. When I first open it, all I smell is mulberry with a hint of sandalwood, and it's deliciously gorgeous. When I apply it to my skin, the mulberry instantly fades, and blends in with a cacophony of scent from all the other notes. It actually doesn't smell that great on me in its wet stage. As it dries down, the sandalwood, rose, and iris are the dominant notes and they blend beautifully together. There is still a very, very, very faint trace of mulberry, but not much. It's a really lovely scent. It's feminine, subtle, gentle, and note remotely intrusive. It's the type of fragrance I would feel comfortable wearing in an enclosed space like an airplane or an elevator, knowing it would likely not irritate those around me. Quite lovely, even if I do want more mulberry in it.

Thisbe is dry, dark mulberry, tart lemon, and bright, tart rose. The mulberry is strong for about five minutes and then I'm left with a tart, strong, perfumey, lemony-rose. It gets sharper and more perfumey-floral the longer that I have it on.

Thisbe is very strong with lots of throw, and a little too sharp and tart for my tastes. I wound up washing this one off after about an hour.

Wet, this all pink rose. After a bit the sandalwood comes out, and it is a bit powdery, but still nice. The rose is pretty dominant from wet to dry, but it doesn't go sour on me like most rose blends do. This is quite wearable, and will enjoy my decant while it lasts.

In the imp: Powdery, cough syrup-like rose. :rasp:

On my skin wet: REALLY powdery rose with something sharp...and a background of cough syrup. This is strong and headache-inducing.

Dry: Powder, rose. Yep. That's about it. Not a fan of this one. These notes just don't work together.

My husband says this "smells like bathroom spray in a elderly persons home."

In the bottle, this is mulberry juice and rose, as far as my nose is concerned. On my skin, it's mulberry juice and rose, though the rose and lotus are quickly dominating the hell out of the blend, along with the lemon.

This is mostly light lemony rose to me, I can catch a faint whiff of the mulberry at first but the rest was real rosy. Kinda sad about that, I'm not big on this type of rose I guess.

Source: Fresh decant

In the decant: Lemon, berry and sweet rose. Smells a little like fruity berry gum.

Wet: The lemon is very reminiscent of lemon Pledge, unfortunately. There's a lot of sweet going on here under the surface, and the rose is prominent as well.

Dry: The sandalwood comes out to play, and thank heaven for that. Normally sandalwood is not a favorite of mine, but here it tempers the overwhelming fruity sweetness. Unfortunately, the lemon and berry notes get squashed a lot more than the rose, so what I end up with is a dry, light, sandalwood and rose blend without much hint of anything else.

Notes: I don't care for this perfume much on its own, nor its partner Pyramus, but the two together balance out pleasantly when layered. As a pair, the musky incense of Pyramus remains dominant, but Thisbe's floral sandalwood sweetens and lightens it. It's kind of the pleasantly perverse meeting between a pagan priestess and a Catholic priest.

Wet, there was an initial blast of bubblegum lotus on my skin. Not enough to deter me from continuing to test this, but it was noticeable. Almost immediately, it faded and I was left with a lemony rose, with a hint of mulberry. Soft and slightly tart, the sandalwood definitely grounds this. I like it, but it's a little too fruity for me.

Ack! Rose scary! Rose eating everything! Sad, it sound so beautiful but this is really the first time BPAL rose has gone just wrong on me.

I was really hesitant to put this one on because, like Monster's husband, all I was getting was old lady bathroom spray in the imp. Wet on the skin, however, it was rose, rose, rose - and surprisingly, it wasn't powdery or sour, just a soft blooming one. As it drys down and settles in, I'm getting less of the rose and more of the iris and sandalwood, which is just fine with me. It still smells slightly old ladyish, so the jury remains out on this one.

A forumite frimped me a decant, so here we go!

Imp: Wood, rose and a touch of iris.

Wet: Initial blast of rose, but it settles as it dries.

Drydown: Floral mix (mostly iris, but some rose and lotus), over a fruity mix of lemon and mulberry, with a touch of sandalwood.

Later: Top note becomes a very tart lemon, before the entire scent becomes a soft (yet still tart) floral with rose at the front close to the skin.

Overall, it's nice, and it's my first BPAL with lemon front and center. Will track down more lemon, but I'm good with just the decant of this.