Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
veronicafranco

Recommend a scent for a specific dress or outfit

my immediate thought was tropical -- Opuhi, Tiki Queen,

but maybe the candy fragrances would work too - Candy Phoenix (Im not too familiar with this category)

or the "manic" fruity: Pet Magah Bird, Spinning Pinwheel Thingy,

Croquet! Maybe Champagne and Strawberries too.. hmm.

Edited by SophieCedar

My first thought was Lune Noire because of the colors, but the style of the dress is daytime while Lune Noire screams "night".The purpley-pinks in the dress make me want to recommend something light with lilac or lavender. Needlework - clean lilac & black tea? Anything clear with berries? Or cherry blossoms? I'd have to go through my imps/decants and really think about it....

My first thought was something from the Mad Tea Party category. Maybe one of the Tweedles. Or... March Hare or Mouse's Long and Sad Tale.

I've cheated and looked at your favorites and your reviews, and Unveiled seems to fit.

The dress (very pretty) does seem to call for some fruit in the blend, and a bit of playful lightness.

Mouse's Long Sad Tale, or Unveiled would work, as mentioned.

Something playful, light, and flowy rather than heavy.

The Unicorn could also work, and I'd stay away from heavy, serious scents.

I thought Lolita - girly but sexy? or maybe Bon Vivant (strawberry & champagne)? or Jailbait (something about the dress makes me think lollipops)?

(The tropical suggestions make a lot of sense, too.)

Edited by Anna D.

My first two thoughts:

Mouse's Sad and Long Tale, for the amber you have listed as a favorite scent, and the general pinkness most people get from Mouse.

Persephone, for the fruitiness and warmth.

Or in general, I'd just go with whatever scent makes you feel bubbly and cheerful, because that's what that dress seems to call for, really.

thanks, guys! keep 'em coming.

my first thought was black butterfly moon.... but i won't like it enough unless the ambergris does some serious fading in 2 months, for when i'll want to wear it.

unveiled! i'm so color-focused that i didn't think about how well that would suit. and i do really, frelling, love that one.

hmmmm....

;)

The ones that immediately came to mind were a couple of the new Shungas: Lovers in a Carp Steamer and Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand. I think to go with something youthful, fresh, fruity and a little complex. :)

Personally, I would go with a "cool" fruity scent (just to play off the warm colours in dress) like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat.

My first thought was Penis Admiration, because it reminds me of butterflies, and that dress makes me think of lilacs and butterflies too... Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree and Pet Magah Bird come to mind as well.

Hey, I'm new to BPAL and wanted to get some scent recs to go along with a particular dress I love. It's an elegant strapless, floor-length evening gown that is green, but with a sheer black material over top and small speckles of glitter. The back is tied up with black ribbons. I wore it one time to a formal event, and someone told me that I looked very Oriental, like a princess (I'm Chinese).

So now, I'm looking for a scent or blend of scents that you could imagine a Chinese empress wearing in the Ming dynasty. Something that is very elegant and refined, haughty in a "far beyond your reach" way, and exotic...with an undercurrent of cruel, manipulative power. A lady who can smile sweetly and discuss the finer points of tea preparation, while her assassin stabs you in the back. But I don't want the scent to be too old/matronly, it should still hold an air of youth and beauty, along with the womanly sophistication.

I really like layering, so I was thinking of something with a tea note in it (I adore Dorian) that would work well with the Japanese cherry blossom fragrance I have from Bath & Body Works. Perhaps throw in a bit of incense or other traditionally Oriental scents? Any ideas?

On me, Bess smelled like chinese tea once it dried down. If you maybe layered it with one of the cherry blossom scents like Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree it would have a very oriental, youthful yet classy feel to it I think.

Unveiled. it has that tea part to it already, but I'm not sure it hits the haughty, untouchable aspect. WOrth a try though.

You might also try Autumn Coolness. I recently tried this one, and was struck with how cool and beautiful it was. It might give off the aura you're after!

Unveiled - Red bush tea, vanilla, white peach, golden amber, mandarin, lotus root, and myrrh.

Autumn Coolness - The scent of wisteria, Cymbidium, lotus blossom, and cassia buds drifting on a breeze through gently swaying bamboo reeds.

You might want to check out some of the warrior queens scents (though they were LE at the bptp and might be a bit harder to find). Hua Mulan sounds appropriate (tea and womanly notes and a hint of dark leather):

*Hua Mulan - pink musk, white ginger, tea leaf, night blooming jasmine, bergamot, and leather.

I also really like Dorian layered with Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree.

Embalming Fluid is a smooth tea scent that smells great layered with cherry blossom scents too.

Thanks for the recs! I will throw an imp of Embalming Fluid in my next order and try it out. Hua Mulan sounds perfect...I wanted a tea scent with something a bit sharp or dark underneath. Is it really not for sale anymore? u_u

A friend recced me Kumiho, which sounds nice, although I am worried that reviewers have said it fades fast. I want something that is long-lasting and has good throw. I'm also trying to avoid citrus notes, because I tried Shanghai, and at first it was fresh green tea...but in the drydown, all I got was a yucky lemon cleaning solution scent.