Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Dragon's Milk

A truly fae nectar! Dragon’s blood resin and honeyed vanilla.

At first, it's cherry milk! Kind of like the strawberry milk you can buy, but of course cherry flavored instead. When it dries, it smells like CreamSavers candy, fruity and creamy soft. After a few hours, it's a very soft, warm vanilla.

This baby is a gentle giant. With the other Ars Draconis blends I've tried, I could easily smell them wafting around me whenever I moved or turned my head. Dragon's Milk is the placated mommy of dragon's blood, though, and I can only smell her when I sniff my wrist. I did slather her on, but it didn't make it any stronger to myself or my boyfriend who was in the room with me. Edited by Shollin

Dragon's Milk

In the imp: dragon's blood with sweet creamy honey!

Wet on skin: mmm, not bad! The dragon's blood with vanilla-honey combination is quite lovely!

Dry on skin: I like this a lot! It's very soft though-maybe a bit too soft? The notes are nicely balanced though-the dragon's blood adding it's red edge to the gentle honey-vanilla. It's a combination that works, and the scent is cosy and sweet.

After a while: dang! After just a few hours, it's completely vanished. I guess my skin was just hungry for Dragon's Milk. Stupid skin, I was really enjoying this scent…before it disappeared.

Verdict: this is my favourite of the Ars Draconis series. It shows a softer side of the dragon-in this, the clear redness of dragon's blood is teamed up with a mix of gentle honey and creamy vanilla. The two aspects of this scent contrast and complement each other nicely-dragon's blood and honeyed vanilla make for a lovely combination, and the scent is comforting and sweet. the only disadvantage is that it's very soft-it doesn't have much throw, and fades so quickly…if it wasn't for that, I'd probably get more.

In the bottle, this is very strongly dragon's blood, that almost cherry-like smell.

Wet, it's pure dragon's blood on me - spicy and sweet.

Once it dries, it smells similar to Dana O'shee - a little spicier, less grounded, but the main notes are the same. Dana is earthy while Dragon's Milk is fiery.

Overall, I was hoping for something a bit different - perhaps for the dragon's blood to come out a bit more on me. It's just not different enough from Dana O'shee on me, and I prefer the other scent just a smidge more. I'll see if it's better as a room scent, and I'm not going to get rid of my imp, but it's not a big bottle for me.

Deep, rich, golden vanilla warming up the sweet Dragon's Blood. While wet, this was almost too sweet, but as the oil dried the scent also became more dry.

Final impression: This is the scent of dry, sweet, resinous Dragon's Blood mixed with the heady, spicy vanilla from Snake Oil. Very yummy, indeed! However, I'm one of the unfortunate few who apparently is allergic to DB.

If you are into Dragon's Blood scents, and like Snake Oil, get some of this.

I didn't get *any* of the sweetness. From bottle to skin this imp was pure, unadulterated cough syrup. Urg. If anyone's familiar with the children's cough syrup, Triaminic, that's exactly what Dragon's Milk turned into on me :P

I'm sorry this is so short, but this is from my notes taken way long ago in October at the Chicago Meetup. But any little bit helps?

I actually enjoyed the honey/vanilla, but ultimately the cherry reaction I have to dragon's blood prevented me from really enjoying it.

So far, every dragon's blood blend I have tried turns to cinnamon and cough syrup the moment I put it on, but I recieved an imp of this and decided to give it a try anyway. I'm so glad I did because this is now one of my absolute favorites.

At first it smells overwhelmingly of sweet cherries, but after about 5-10 minutes the vanilla starts to come out. It smells like cherry milk at first, but the vanilla really softens the cherry scent as it dries. Just lovely. Sweet cherries dipped in vanilla. I would definitely recommend this scent to anyone that's apprehensive about trying dragon's blood.

I found this to be a lovely scent- I had to get a full size in the last BPAL order I placed, since my imp is going fast! It's creamy and soft, not overwhelmingly sweet, with a lovely spicy undertone, with a bit of smokiness but not too much. I'm not sure what pure dragon's blood smells like, but I am charmed by this scent. It doesn't last very long on me though; it's one I'll need to reapply during the day, or put something else on midday. I like though, very much. It does remind me a bit of Snake Oil, but much less potent.

I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5, rather than a full 5 due to it's disappearing act.

Mmm. I like dragon's blood. I like vanilla. It turns out I really like them together.

Wet, I smell the dragon's blood most strongly, which is sweetened by the vanilla. The milk smell seems to meld the two scents and adds a creamy softness to the blend, which might otherwise be a bit overpowering.

Upon drydown, the vanilla really comes out to play while the dragon's blood gives it a spicy, slightly smoky undertone. The throw is pretty good, and staying power is excellent. It's ten hours since application, and I still smell of sultry, creamy vanilla goodness.

This might be a bit much for everyday, but it's perfect for those days that call for a bit more power and for situations when you have to call on your inner dragon-lady, and would be great to wear while on a hot date or while singing torch songs.

Edited by PirateMaggie

Mmmm, this is nice. I usually sniff every thing as I take it out of the package, and Dragon's milk really grabbed me, I felt compelled to slather some on. It's mostly Dragon's Blood on my skin, with just a hint of sweet creaminess. It's a very warm and comforting scent. It's pretty strong on me, has great throw, and lasts for hours.

Mmmm, this one is yummy. It also got a male thumbs up - says it's the best of the ones he's smelled on me. The dragon's blood resin gives it a smoky smell on me, but I can still smell the vanilla and the honey. I wouldn't have guessed cherries upon smelling it myself, but I can see why people say that. It's a twee bit sweet for me (and got more so as time went on), so I ended up layering it with White Rabbit the next day and that mellowed out the sweetness a bit. Glad I got a bottle.

I tried this some time ago and it didn't work for me at all. I got a metallic tang from the Dragon's Blood that just overwhelmed anything else I could sniff from it. Sweet cherry scented metal, ugh. I frimped it away promptly.

That said, my chemistry has changed quite a bit lately - some old favorites are now smelling pretty funny, and suddenly my nose has a sweet tooth. I got a hankering to try this again. The lovely Spark sent me an imp in a recent swap, and I've fallen in love. The Dragon's Blood is now heady and deep, with a touch of spice. First applied, this is rich and a touch fruity and musky. The vanilla comes out as this dries down and this becomes a sweet, delicious, warm, soft "fuzzy-sweater" type of yum. I'm glad I swapped for a bottle on LJ - this is my new comfort scent. The man's a fan as well!

I have an imp of Dragon's Blood currently up for swap as it did NOT suit me at all. It's much too floral, but people who like creamy spicy scents have been raving about Dragon's Milk and so I thought I ought to try it.

In the imp, it does smell very floral to my nose and I thought that it may not be for me. However, I took the plunge, dabbed it on and sat and waited for the metamorphasis.

Wet, it smelled like Dragon's Blood warring with Dana 'O Shee with a milky overtone thown in. However as it dried down it became very similar to Etro Heliotrope EDP, which is a perfume that I have and like a lot. Dragon's Milk comes across as a slightly almondy/marzipan scent with a little bit of a floral overtone. On me the oil is very strong and very long lasting. I also find it quite disturbing, it is a scent that is telling me to sit up and take notice :P

I do like it, but I think I will have to be feeling brave to wear this out. It suits my skin, but makes me feel twitchy! The oil also stung a bit for the first hour, but I didn't notice any redness on my skin. Wow, I think this is one of the most disquieting oils I've tried from the lab so far, which makes mine a very different experience than most of the people who have reviewed Dragon's Milk.

I liked Dragon's Milk but I can't say that I like it for me. If I smelled this on someone else, I'd probably compliment them.

It's extremly youthful. Me at age 12-13 would be all about Dragon's Milk. That's not to say that I think it's a little girl scent. It simply reminds me of those years of my life. And doesn't seem to fit me right now. If that makes sense.

I agree with those that said cherry milk. That is exactly what is smells like the bottle. Yummy. It takes on a creamier tone on skin. It reminds me a lot of Johnson's Baby Lotion.

There's nothing bad about this scent, it's just not something I think I could wear often.

5.5/10

Edited by silver_springs

Freebie from Lab... Blecch. You know, lots of other people seem to love this one, but on me it's notably bad. Every other blend in which I've tried dragon's blood has turned it into roses and amber, but here the cherry smell really shows up.

And you know what it all smells like? Like being nine years old and losing your voice, taking artificial cherry cough syrup and then washing it down with vanilla soymilk 'cause it was really gross. Yeah. that's about it.

Hopefully this works better on its soon-to-be recipient. I think I'm just not suited to sweet milky scents.

Truly a lovely fragrance!

The vanilla tempers the Dragon's Blood and makes it a magical, soft fragrance. Not too sweet with just a slight edge of danger.

One of my favorites in the Ars Draconis line!

:P

Well, so far Dragon's Milk is my favorite scent. I've sniffed and worn quite a few already, but this is by far the most memorable for me.

In the bottle the scent is very sweet and inviting, almost intoxicating, as if it is a very sweet red wine. And it was my impression that the scent hung in the room for quite a while even after I had re-sealed my imp.

My partner was the first of us to wear it. She came down in the morning after dressing for work, and I could smell the Dragon's Milk as she came in the room. It was warm and sweet, freshly applied. It wafted and hung in the air, and was quite sensual. Actually appetizing.

I applied some myself and on my skin the first impression was very sweet and sultry and fruity. But the dragon's blood was a solid undernote, making it actually heady.

I noticed the sweetness frequently over the course of the day, softening, gentling. By the end of the day as I was undressing for bed, I could still catch a whiff of a sweet powderiness from my sweater-collar and on my skin. Alas, I could barely smell any on my partner by bedtime. But a tiny fresh application sent my head spinning again!

In the bottle: Yow... cherry and raspberry sherbet. Not fizzy in the same way that sherbet smells to me, but still, that sort of sweet sugaryness.

On me: when wet, this is more or less pure HONEY. Too sweet, and sticky-smelling. As it dries, it fades down, and the sweetness takes on a floral edge - is that the dragon's blood resin? I have no idea what that smells like. The vanilla is there somewhere, but again, it's just adding to the sweetness. All in all, this smells like melted cheap ice-cream on a hot day - and naturally, it sticks around longer than some scents I'd prefer.

Verdict: Grf. This is the scent I was looking forward to most of all the onesI got in this batch. But this is too sweet - it's making my teeth ache when I sniff it - on top of which, my SO describes it as 'cloying'. To the swap pile it goes.

Blah. I don't know exactly what dragon's blood is supposed to smell like, but I think that on my skin, honey and vanilla are exactly the wrong things to pair it with. I'm getting a heady sweetness from the dragon's blood, which would be nice, but the honey and vanilla amp it up and make it really cloying. I can see what the people saying 'cherry cough syrup' mean. There's also an unpleasant powderiness from the honey or vanilla. I'll give this one more shot, but then I'm trading it away and getting a less crazy-sweet dragon's blood scent.

In the bottle, it's a yummy cherry with vanilla and honey.

Wet on me - cherry cough syrup.

After 5 minutes, it morphs into a wonderful honey and vanilla with a lil bit of cherry.

Unfortunately, that only lasts for about ten minutes, when it shifts into a tragic toddler mishap of cherry cough syrup mixed with playdough. Not something I'll wear again. I just wish that wonderful phase lasted longer. :D

ADDED June 10:

I tried this while the forums were down, and only found the text file today. :P

Dragon's Milk

In the bottle, it's a yummy cherry with vanilla and honey.

Wet on me - cherry cough syrup

After 5 minutes, it morphs into a wonderful honey and vanilla with a lil bit of cherry.

Unfortunately, that only lasts for about ten minutes, when it shifts into cherry cough syrup crossed with playdough.

Needless to say, this one was sent to the swap pile.

In the vial, this is pure cherry cough syrup. I was a bit apprehensive about trying it, as my experience with Dragon's Tears didn't really endear me to dragon's blood resin... too sweet.

Putting it on makes quite a difference. The milk and honey really shine through and morph into a very soft, pleasant sweetness, as opposed to a sickly cough syrup sweetness. Honestly, this smells like one of my favorite beverages--cherry almond italian soda.

The best part about this scent is the throw and lasting power. This lasts for hours on my skin without going powdery, and the scent wafts around me like a big fuzzy security blanket. I don't know if I'll like any of the other dragon scents, but this one is definitely for me. :P

In the bottle this was much to sweet. I got the notes of vanilla, dragon's blood and honey. When I put it on my skin it remained too sweet, almost nauseating. I actually gave it a second try and put it in my hair and wow. Suddenly everything changed and it as just right, kinda spicy, not to sweet with hints of honey and vanilla. Another 5ml to put on my wishlist.

Scent in bottle: I mainly get dragon's blood and honey; no vanilla yet. It's quite nice.

Scent on me:

Wet -- There's the vanilla...it's not sweet at all! :-D The dragon's blood and honey are sweet in themselves, but the vanilla doesn't turn to that horrible oversweet baked-goods smell that I dislike.

Dry -- Soft and warm and honeyed vanilla resin yumminess, but with a slight bitter tone that I'm a bit ambivalent about.

Dryer -- The vanilla finally becomes dominant and the bitter note goes away. I really like this vanilla note.

Conclusion: Lovely; probably not bottle-worthy, though. I'll see how often I feel like wearing it.

Imp: sweet resin, not cloying.

Wet: delicate, faintly fruity-floral

Dry: A textured, spicy vanilla. Sweet but not overwhelmingly so. It is something to wear to a gaming tournament, or a comicbook store. Feminine and nerdy.

I can't stand the smell of anything Dragon's Blood -ick! But with all of Beth's stuff, you have to try EVERYTHING because something will suprise you...

In the bottle and wet on my skin Dragon's Milk is VERY resiny. I am not getting the usual sickly sweet gagging scent of Dragon's Blood - Good thing!

As this dries down I am getting a hint of vanilla but the resin is still the main note. This is a very dry resin. Not the wet sweet of dragon's blood.

The vanilla never does come out like I thought it would which is a disappointment but it is still very nice. I love it because it is so dry. This is not an oil I would buy for myself but it is very nice. Great throw, great wear too.