Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Azaroles, nuts, and apple blossoms with red apple pulp, mulberry, blackberry, and pomegranate juice.

Roman apple festival! I love BPAL apple notes, I love Rome. 2012 version.

In the bottle: Artificial fruit candy. Woe.

Wet: Artifical fruity candy smell with chemical undertones. Woe squared. Husband: "You smell like cherry-orange-lemon Lifesavers in the pack." No berries, juices, blossoms or nuts, either, unless the nuts are causing the chemical smell. I don't get the nail-polish acetone smell, just something really....candied and fake. To me it smells like air freshener.

Drydown: Candy-scented air freshener with a chemical aftertaste. Ack! This also fades very quickly, which might be a good thing for me.

I get no nail polish/ acetone smell. It's light and enjoyable, but disappears way too fast. It's in vein of Punkie Night, only a tad less sharp.

In bottle: Pure Apple. Like a juicy, red apple.

Wet on skin: Still apple, but there's something else there. I asked the husband to smell it, and he said it was like potpourri or Pier One. I'm thinking that must be the mulberry?

Dry: The berry comes out a little more. I'm not getting any of the nuts at all.

I'm an apple fiend, so this one works really well on me. It's not as chilly as SGA and not as floral as Sjofn, and also not foody. Just apple-y goodness.

This was too much apple for me. And it got kinda gross on my skin. I didn't get much of the other notes sadly. And it had little to no staying power but the apple did throw the short time it was on my skin. :(

This is from 2009.

I don't get any of the acetone scent that a bunch of other reviewers mentioned. It smells like red applies, and on me it's not very nutty at all, really more juicy-smelling than anything else. Quite red. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of BPAL's pomegranate notes because they don't smell great on me, and although that's not prominent here it is kind of pushing the apple notes into an air freshener type of scent. Which is not all that fantastic.

I just tried To Autumn yesterday, and that is a very dry, leafy apple scent -- much more my style. I will stick with that one.

I only have a sniffie so I'm not sure what this would be like on my skin but it is super sweet smelling, like a red jolly rancher!

Nothing nutty smelling to speak of though :/

Initially this is apple blossom, slightly more floral but very apple smelling (yes, it does smell like shampoo, the eighties turned out all sorts of hair products with apple smells and it is hard to avoid the association) but this smells like fresh pressed apple juice mainly with a hint of Pom juice (I had to read the notes to appreciate it, it blends well with the apple smell)

there is a hint of Nutella smelling nut spread, somewhere between chocolaty and nutty but it is brief.

Berries other than Pom juice are not appreciable on me. Azaroles evidently are the haw or fruit of the hawthorn tree. I had to use google fu to learn that, and I have no frame of reference as to how they smell, so I am not sure I smell anything like that here.

If you like apple scents, this is a must try, and I agree with the Punkie Night comparison, but this is more of a fresh apple, no spice or booze notes. It would be great for layering with other Weenies that don't have as much apple as I'd like. I am going to hope that cellaring will bring out a bit more of the other notes like berries and nuts, but my guess is that this is the 2009 version (purchased from the Lab's Etsy page) so the berries may have aged out?)

This smells like apple orchards to me, flowers and juice--maybe a hint of nuts but the throw is all APPLE!. I wish I had sniffed the dirt that other reviewers smelled as this lacks complexity, but it will be good for layering, so there's that. I am keeping my bottle.

Edited by sprout

2012 Version (I noticed there's no tag on this thread for that... so that's weird.)

Apple apple apple.

That's it, that's all I got. Apple. Juicy juicy apple, with splashes of Pomegranate.

In the imp this smelled FUNKY as funkily possible. But on skin it was just juicy red apple and pom musk. I'll probably trade it off because I like a little more depth, and Pom. is not a great note on me :s

Count me in the acetone camp. Something boozy? in the bottle? fermented berries?

Goes on as WTF fermented berries and quickly turns into nail polish remover. Wow, no idea what went wrong there, but I'm sort of relieved that I'm not the only one.

2009 version here. In the decant, this was apples, nuts, and something boozy. On my skin, that boozy note turned to a weird chemical smell. As it dried, I got the nuts, a very SHARP apple, and dirt??? I did not like this at all until, suddenly, I did. Fully dried down, the apple softens, the dirt and chemical smell disappears, and the nuts add a bit of earthiness that rounds out the fruit. I never get distinct blackberries or mulberries (I wish!), but it's pretty all the same. I'm just not sure it's worth the wet and early-dry stages, though.