Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

Lawn Gnome

Red currant, molasses, vanilla cream, moss, and patchouli.

I get cream, brown sugar, and red fruit. A bit like expensive fruit syrup rather than real fruit. I like it. Not a lot of throw, though I applied sparingly and on my wrists rather than where I would normally put it.

Wet: Cherry jolly ranchers? With patchouli? I have no idea... I suppose it must be the red currant sweetened by the molasses.

Drying: It's much more clearly molasses now, but I really don't like this one at all. Something is just off about it.

So excited to have gotten my hands on this!

Wet: Well red currant is much different than black currant on me, that's for sure. This is super fruity, with an undertone of patch. I am sadly not getting any of the vanilla cream (which had been my hope, it's kind of my favourite thing ever). The fruitiness is settling a bit and it's not quite so in-your-face, but still a lot stronger and more candy-like (and actually somewhat artificial smelling) than I had anticipated. Currant is usually one of my best fruit notes.

Dry: Slightly fruity patchouli. I gotta admit, I really misjudged how these notes would work out on me. It's not bad, just not what I had hoped for. I have any number of fruity patchouli blends that I like better. I think I have learned that, though I love black currant, red is not really great on me.

This is a Top Ten oil for me. Beautiful currant and patch but unspoiled by cream or brown sugar which normally is terrible on me. It's gorgeous, long-lasting and perfect for any season. I'm so happy to have finally gotten a bottle.

I wore this today and kept getting wafts of it, putting a smile on face. I really thought I had put a review of this up before, but nope!

Lawn Gnome is always gives me a metallic vibe at first--I think it's the cream and the moss mixing on me.

It opens very sweet, very loud--thats from the molasses and red currant, no doubt. I've had cream go bad on me before (like Love's Philosophy) but the moss keeps it from doing so here. On the one hand, it gets metallic-y if I'm not paying attention. On the other hand, I welcome that much more than the doughy, plasticky note from Love's Philosophy. Whenever I catch a bit of it while walking I'm very aware that there is a green note that keeps it from being too much.

It's a very well-blended fragrance, and I only get patchouli if I huff at it on my skin. It's there, lurking at the bottom, keeping the cream and fruit and sugar from being sickly. It's my favorite kind of scent: gourmand without being too one-dimensionally sweet. :wub2:

Lawn Gnome is a little sweeter and a lot fruitier than what I usually wear.  (Switch the patch and the red currant in the description, and that's more me.)  But it sounded like a fun combination of notes.  It behaves really well on my skin -- the cream doesn't go off, I get more throw than usual for my skin chemistry, and it sticks around all day.  It really is red currant out in front, sweetened by the vanilla cream and molasses; I could barely detect the patchouli at all.  The moss is what makes it wearable for me though, just that little bit of grounded earthiness that keeps the other notes from being girlishly candy sweet.  I'm really glad I got to try this one.  

Wet: Vanilla and... Grass? Maybe meant to be moss. Red currant.

On: Mmm. Creamy vanilla, red currant and patchouli with a hint of moss (vetiver?) This is a lovely blend.

Dry down: Unfortunately red currant never lasts as fruity and well as it does fresh on me (can turn slightly plasticy). I can smell the moss and patchouli (not the marijuana type, one of my favourite things about BPALs patchouli) and maybe a hint of dark bitter sweetness from molasses. It lasts a while and every now and then I get a whiff of the fresher red currant note on me.

I'm pretty certain I'm going to need a bottle to at least wear in a locket. It's gourmandy but not overly sweet. Beautiful.

In the decant: Sugary red currant backed by some vanilla cream and patchouli.

On me: Red currant and molasses with some patchouli and moss lurking behind those notes. The molasses is getting stronger as this sits on my skin. It ends up being a sugared, mossy currant scent on me after a few hours of wear. My skin chemistry tends to bring those two notes out, so I am not surprised that they ended up being the main players on me, although I would have liked more vanilla cream.

Verdict: This one is pleasant, but not something I am likely to reach for. I am digging that molasses, though. If you are looking for a currant-centric scent, you won't be disappointed.

This is pretty much exactly what i was hoping for. A small creature on a dirty walk through the woods in autumn after rainfall, accompanied by an oversized wicker basket of red berries.

It's cozy, gritty, dark, molass-y ('sugary' ain't the right word here). Sweater weather type scent, image evoking. LOVE!! :heart: