Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ivyandpeony

Hua Mulan Bath Oil

White ginger, tea leaf, night blooming jasmine, neroli, rose, and lotus root.

Just beautiful, this one is a little crisper and more floral than its companion perfume, which I found to be warmer and muskier. The ginger, jasmine and rose combine to make a lovely, sweet bouquet of flowers (I don't really get much neroli, but those are some assertive companions the neroli is up against). There's a lot more tea making up this scent than in the perfume, and that, along with the lotus root, gives a bright and crisp underlying element that puts it in the extended family of Asian-themed BPAL scents (although it doesn't really remind of any particular one, it's more of a general feel). It will layer beautifully with the accompanying perfume and will also make a gorgeous light perfume in and of itself.

On my skin, this is mostly tea, lotus, and light ginger. I'm not picking up any of the rose or jasmine notes at all on my skin--OK, maybe just a hint of rose, but it's very faint. Very delicate, light scent.

In the bottle: The tea and the lotus seem to be the most prominent notes.

Wet: Wow! That's sweet! I always worry about lotus, because it can turn into pink bubblegum on me. :( But already the other notes are appearing. There's a nice spiciness from the ginger, a faint hint of rose and neroli, and the jasmine and tea leaf are working together as a good base note and a good top note, keeping everything else in check between them.

The dry-down: I was afraid that this was going to be too candy-like, and as much as I love candy scents, that concept didn't seem quite right for Mulan. However, the candy sweetness of the lotus root faded quickly, and I'm left with all the other notes blending together in a lovely scent with perhaps the tea leaf and ginger floating on top.

I did try layering this with her perfume last night, and the sweetness of the bath oil did amp up the perfume somewhat. However, neither of them seem to last long. Like the lady warrior herself, this scent is floating off into the distance, off to fight another battle, perhaps, but smelling oh so gentle and elegant and lady-like.

in the bottle: wow tea! but there is definitely ginger and jasmine in there too.

on skin after showering: it's very subtle and fades fast. it's not overtly floral and I don't get any of the rose.

again, I used this as an in shower moisturizer. for some reason in while I was applying this in the shower there was a definite leather note to it. in fact, my bathroom still has a slight leather smell and I got out of the shower almost 3 hours ago.

I like this one, I'm glad I have it, but I don't think I'll need more than one set of this Warrior Queen.

Exquisite in the bottle and as it goes on: cheerful, beautiful, elegant.

Loses some of its brightness after 10 minutes, leaving behind a well-blended floral in which I can discern each of the florals, but none obtrusively. It is flat and soft on bottom, too, like orchid; I'm guessing that's the lotus root, or maybe a rose note.

This one is a near miss on me.

Hua Mulan Bath Oil is very light tea, lotus, and white ginger. It's sweet and pretty but *so* faint on my skin. Maybe I didn't use enough? On the plus side, it won't clash with my lotion/BPAL of the day.

Ooh, this is nice! First sniff, I get ginger and tea, which is great, as ginger is probably my fave spice note. This stays pretty true on the skin, a lovely fresh scent, perfect for a hot day, very reminiscent of Embalming Fluid. I'm guessing they have the same tea note. The jasmine is baaarely there, possibly adding a bit of sourness which translates to citrus to me, even more adding to the EF similarities. I like this very much and will definitely use up my decant and layer with the perfume and EF.

Applied directly to my skin, this starts off smelling like sweet oranges (the neroli, I suppose) and a beautiful rose floral perfume swimming in comforting tea.

After ten minutes or so, the rose and jasmine amp up, with just a hint of neroli sticking around. The overall feel is that it's a sweet, heavy, bold floral that conjures up images of blood red and golds. It reminds me of Versailles.

In the bath, this is like bathing in expensive floral perfume and tea. It's comforting and decadent at the same time. It leaves a soft rose scent on my skin after the bath.

I like the warrior queen bath oils even more than the perfumes. They layer so nicely together, and I can see this layering well with scents like Versailles, Follow Me Boy, and other rose & jasmine heavy fragrances.

This smells to me like I'm bathing in a bottle of Fairy Market. I like it, but I'm not normally a floral girl and I come out of the bath smelling like flowers flowers FLOWERS.

This one is a soft flowery one. On wet I definitely get more of the ginger, but as it dries, it is a soft jasmine/rose blend.

Very pretty, very feminine.

this is a great scent for a hot weather/cool water bath, which i tried last night. it reminds me a lot of embalming fluid with a bunch of ginger added. very crisp, green, clean and refreshing. i didn't get any strong jasmine, neroli or lotus, it was mostly ginger and tea in my bath. very lovely!