Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
awesomeoverlord

Chaos Theory V: Recursive Self-Similarity v1

XCI

When this goes on, it first reminds me of pineapple lifesavers...

on drydown, it loses the fruitiness and just turns clean. I wish I knew what notes I was smelling but I don't. I can say that I am not detecting any floral or food. It is just fresh and clean. Maybe there's a pine note way in the background but there's still a primary note that is blowing a fresh breezeright up my nose. Whatever it is, I LOVE it.

DXV - 515

Sniffed: Dorian and lilac? Or some other soft, Spring-like floral. It actually reminds me quite a bit of the CT Dorian I received from the lab and swapped away! Definitely primarily floral.

Wet: Greener, fresher notes emerge, and this becomes a bit spicy - carnation or phlox or a spicy floral of that natural, though I'm leaning towards carnation. Still that hint of lilac, and an unfortunate soapy edge. More of the sugar note from Dorian, and a little tea.

Dry: Insanely strong throw! More greenery has emerged - slightly bitter new leaves, not quite grassy - ivy, perhaps, and a tiny bit of dandelion. The slightly soap lilac remains by far the strongest note, alas. I suspect other 'old lady' floral notes, too. :\

Later: One of the florals is some form of iris - the sort that smells rotten and powdery to me. It reminds me a lot of the rotting flower note I got from Ides of March, which I also attributed to iris. Combined with the spicy carnation - it's definitely carnation, of the sort that is sharply clove-like - too-sweet sugar and soapy lilac - I'm nauseated. Sink.

Summary: After *attempting* to wash this off, I get a bit of citrus residue - that same lemon rind note from Ides of March. This is Ides of March with a tiny bit of Dorian and a hefty dose of lilac. TRULY INSANE throw & longevity.

:ack:

CCXCVI (Um. Maybe :think: )- Dorian

I'm not a big fan of Dorian -too sweet & vanillay for my taste- but this was described as "Dorian in Italy" (tomato vines, citrus leaves, orange blossoms) and I couldn't resist.

In the bottle the vines are prominent, with a sweet citrus background.

On the skin: NonNomNom! Dorian in Italy indeed. I'd go even further and say this lucky little Chaos landed in Sicily around the beginning of may :lol:

He rented a house in the country and spends the days lazying in the garden eating vanilla icecream, and sometimes he closes his eyes and smiles as the breezes bring the spicy smell of ripe tomatoes from the neighbour's garden, whiffs of the first lemon blossoms buried in their shiny green leaves form an orchard down the road, the fresh salt of the sea twinkling in the distance.

The vanilla is very quiet and understated, just a cremy sweetness to keep the scent together. It has a definite spring feeling, gentle green and spicy trapped between the blue of sky and sea, and none of the scorched heath of Sicily's summers.

Know'st thou the land where lemon trees bloom?

And oranges like gold in leafy gloom;

A gentle wind from deep blue heaven blows,

The myrtle thick, and high the laurel grows?

Edited by inkaddict

LXXXVIII - 88

In the bottle - Something green and earthy, I'm almost tempted to say dandelion samp, but more bitter

Dry on me - Dark green vegetation, slightly smokey and with a slight citrus edge

Wet on me - Warm vanilla from the Dorian seeps through, gradually infusing the darkness with light. It finally dries into a refined, but sweet, pale musk with just a hint of citrus

Overlla - The final dry down is nice, but it takes the best part of six hours to get there and I'm not sure that it's worth the wait

CCCXL

Oh, my! :wub2: May this bottle never leave my sight!!

On me, this smells like a love child between Velvet Nudie and Dorian!! From Dorian, I am getting a light tea scent which is in the background of the lovely lemon sugar tart scent I get from Velvet Nudie! Of course, there may be skin musk in it (I think this is where I get the lemon smell from Velvet Nudie), but there is also actual lemon in here! This isn't a sour or candy lemon though. It smells like yummy lemon tart/pudding! So nice, comforting and yummy!

I got a sniffie of this - and hmmm, I have to say I get the sugared vanilla tea of Dorian, but there's something else there... balsam I think? It smells a little spicier than usual. And slightly more manly.

clxxxi

in the imp: something sharp and a sweet fruit

wet: it makes me sneeze! and it reminds of the church i went to as a kid for some reason too. tea and pears, and a touch of anise maybe.

dry: same just less sneezing.

edited to add: okay it turns out that i can't wear this at all. i spent all morning sneezing.

Edited by starfish327

CLXXV

Take Dorian and combine it with Swank and this is what you get. On wet, I definitely get a red merlot slap but sweeter, and as it dries I recognize it as pomegranate given off a very 'red wine' vibe. There is some gin in here, I believe (why, hello there juniper!).

Previously reviewed by sprocket21 and bheansidhe.

CVIX :

Coffee. Lots and lots of coffee from the bottle and wet on skin. When I sniff close, I can smell Dorian underneath. After a while it gets sweeter, but the throw is still very much bitter coffee.

Dorian comes out more and more, making the coffee creamier - quite nice!

CCCXIII (313)

Dorian and . . . ozone, I think? Something I can't identify, which means either aquatic, ozone, or some random floral. This isn't soapy so it's probably not an aquatic and it has the aftershave feel that ozone gives off. It almost smells smoky, likes there's a bit of vetiver in the mix, but not in a bad way. Sometimes, when it's just wafting by, I sort of smell fish sticks which is very very strange.

I might try it on my husband -- if it works with his chemistry (eg no fish sticks) I think it will be AWESOME on him.

Edited by karen

CT V: CDXLVI (446) - This is from the Dorian series. The person who sent this to me said it smelled to her like... bell peppers (?), I think it was. Sure enough, whatever's in this has that crazy note that I associate not with bell peppers, but with canned green chili peppers. This is such a bizarre scent -- it's got a ton of that glorious creamy-sweet and smooth Dorian, but then it's topped off with this bizarre vegetable note. Now that I think of it, the combination of that weird canned green chili pepper note combined with Dorian makes the overall effect something like fresh cumin. Bizarre Chaos Theory, but that's part of the fun of it, I suppose.

CXI

At the outset, this is so much straight tea with lemon that I am tempted to try and drink my arm. Then I get a waft of vanilla. This is nice nice nice.

CXXXIX

Holy Mother in Heaven, we have another winner...

This is Dorian with an extra hit of vanilla and some amber thrown in. Calling this gorgeous is an understatement.

Love love love love

CT V (Dorian): CCCLXX (370) - This has previously been reviewed first here and then here. I get something fairly different from both of those reviews! On me, this is gorgeous. It's the lovely creamy tea scent of Dorian along with a faint trace of anise, but also the gorgeous floral of tuberose. There may be a hint of fresh lemon zest in this, too. Overall, it's a really lovely scent, and I keep catching wafts of it around me and am so glad I got to try such a beautiful CT that has kept its Dorian-ness and just added to it. Lovely.

Edited by Edens Sixth Day

CT V (Dorian): CLXIX (169) - Reviewed previously here, here, and here. This opens up with a blast of uber-sweet foodiness. It quickly begins to reminds me of the burnt sugar scent of Sugar Skull, except that unlike Sugar Skull, I can actually bear to be around this and actually find it appealing! There's also a very distinct fruit note that could be pear or apple... I keep waffling back-and-forth as to which one I think it is. There's also a slight spiciness that had me thinking this was similar to Gingerbread Poppet on initial application (although I don't think there's ginger in this). There is also a hint of velvety animalic musk in this. The burnt sugar, green fruit, and musk is an odd combination, yet they work wonderfully together to create a gorgeous autumnal scent. It's not like anything I would ever have thought I'd be interested in wearing, yet I'm definitely hanging on to this and will be wearing it again as soon as it really starts to feel like autumn around here. Oh, and no, there's hardly a trace of Dorian in this, with the slight exception of a hint -- just the tiniest hint -- of cream, which could be what's tempering the burnt sugar into something wearable on me.

CT V (Dorian): CLVIII (158) - Reviewed previously here. This opens up with a faint bit of Dorian, but mostly, it's fresh, bright greenery, yet it's not heavy like grass clippings, but more like light green plant/flower leaves. As it dries down on my skin, the greenery fades a lot and a gorgeous sweet note emerges that the other reviewer noted as honey, and which is so smooth and unassuming that I think it may specifically be white honey. It's a very pretty scent.

Edited by Edens Sixth Day

CCXXXV:

It's a fruity musk in the bottle, and on my skin it's Dorian and Sugar Skull. I lovelovelove Sugar Skull, and Dorian is my new favorite; so this is a huge WIN for me since it's the best of both worlds. Dorian is keeping this from being super sweet, so I don't smell as much of the brown sugar. This is truly beautiful. :wub: