Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dawndie

Chaos Theory V: Recursive Self-Similarity v2

XXXIII

In bottle: light diffused honey

On skin: sugared roses

Half-hour later: the delicious O honey has warmed up under some fairly strong florals, maybe jasmine or orchid?

In conclusion: I'm so in love with O, it could be blended with anchovy paste or garlic and I'd still enjoy it. Sometimes floofy flowers like rose and jasmine can be overpowering, but the O base is quietly assertive, simply shrugging its shoulders and saying, "Ain't no thing but a chicken wing on a string." Like Honey Moon or Hony Mone with more luscious honey. :yum:

Lovely, lovely O!

XXV (25):

In the bottle, sweet, red, wet fruits. Probably pomegranate. Feels cold and fresh to my nose.

Wet on my wrist, the fruit stays true.

Half an hour later, it has a berry pie smell: buttery crust with slightly spicy berry filling. I'm pretty sure the buttery part is O.

I love it!

XXXI (31):

In the bottle, I have no idea what notes this holds. Something bright, maybe lemon blossom? Olive blossom?

Wet on skin, smells like lemon meringue. Love love love!!

It gets a little bit of a powerdery twist with a slight effervecence. I have a Chaos Theory from either II or III that smells similar. I don't usually like powder smells, but the powder smells like O, so it's fab.

These turned out much better than my Dorian CTs.

XXI

In the bottle I get a strong wiff of honey cake-good start out! Then there's this soapy note...meaning there's flowers in my cake :rasp: When I put it on I get the same thing only the flowers are stronger. After a while the cake totally dissappears and all thats left is the flowers. I can't tell what kind though. Maybe I'll get another one and have better luck.

LVII

In the bottle- I smell the O base, but transformed into something sweeter and foodier. This is kind of like molasses, or or like a fruitcake without the fruit.

Wet- O with a triple dose of creamy vanilla. I'm also getting a definite anise note and something kind of like mulling spices- clove maybe?

Dry- Stays true to the wet scent. A creamy, gourmand heavy vanilla O.

I feel like I just won the lottery to have gotten this. :blush:

XVII

Sniffing the bottle, it's a creamy floral amber.

Applied on my skin wet, it's O + Rose with a bit of green note to it. Not much of a morpher on me. Scent remains pretty true from wet to dry on my arm. The amber and vanilla really temper the floral. This is a beautiful light, faintly sweet floral blend.

XV

in the bottle: Spiced honey, yum – kind of like honey drizzled over pumpkin pie spice mix (no pumpkin, though)

wet on skin: Spiced vanilla, but not like Snake Oil. A really sweet vanilla with a hint of caramel and spice. Clove? Saffron? I’m not sure what it is. Maybe the tiniest bit of coconut, but I’m not sure.

dry on skin: Yum! Vanilla + honey amber + caramel + the faintest hint of spice.

If I had to venture a guess, I’d say this is O mixed with powdered magic :) I can’t wear regular O, as it turns to pure honey with a hint of cat urine on my skin. This CT, though, is exactly what I wanted O to be like. It’s absolutely perfect for me. An absolutely gorgeous vanilla!

XXII

This is deep and luscious in the bottle but I can't pick out anything. On me, it's completely different. The honey is sweet and not too strong, complimented by some very subtle musk. The most noticeable note in this is pine pitch. It through me for a loop for a little while (at first I thought it was mint) but once I figured it out, it was undeniable. And so, this Chaos Theory smells almost exactly like The Illustrated Woman, sans the smoky vanilla. Now, I know I should be pleased since I love TIW so much, but it's so similar that it's almost like having two of the same blend. Still, it's gorgeous.

XCIV

In bottle: O is strongest. I think there is extra vanilla. Wet: Weirdly familiar, nag champa maybe? There is some sort of fruit and a real spiciness to it. The honey and vanilla come out beautifully. This is rich incense blend which goes gorgeously with the underlying O. It is sexy and exotic. It also reminds me strongly of Black Lace, though the incense is stronger and more complex. This is yummy. Dry: the incense and the vanilla/musk separate a bit, but it stays lovely throughout. A new favorite and an unalloyed hit.

These are quicky reviews, and I'll come back and revisit as I can do more thorough testing and as they age a bit. But I'm just so excited and pleased that I had to review as I tested them.

CXII

In the bottle - Lemonaide O. Sugary, lemony and fresh with a lingering hint of O's honey.

Wet - Whoa! Lemon! It had a moment of two of "Oh No! Lemon Pledge!" but it quickly fades down into a more behaved lemon scent. No trace of the O, though.

Dry on skin - Oh! This is so unexpected! As the lemon fades a bit more, I start catching a hint of rose. For a while it's rose-brushed lemon, and then those both tone down and the O finally appears. It's...skin, slightly moist and flushed, sticky with sugary lemonaide, with just a hint of rose. Like someone had a rose garden picnic, all white dresses and lacy blankets to sit on, that turned...um...naughty. But only just a little bit naughty, still a little bit innocent. :blush:

Overall - this was a very quick test, and straight from the mailbox, so some aging is in order, and I'll pop back to revisit. But this one ranges wildly in strength within the first 15 minutes, from wildly strong lemon to such a very subtle delicate finish, almost a blush of a scent.

CXXXIII

This one is much harder for me to pin down.

In the bottle- O. Very much O, but not as light as it usually is. There's something deeper and darker, like caramel or a heavier honey.

Wet on Skin - Very similar to the bottle. It's very much O, but darker. It's so hard to peg this one. Possibly almond? I'm leaning again to caramel, and something else? I'm almost tempted to say tobacco, but if so it's a sweet, light tobacco. And there's something spicy, too. I'd have sworn cinnamon, but there shouldn't be any in here.

Dry on skin - A hint of I think it's skin musk creeps in. And it's definitely got caramel. Possibly caramel cream? This is a deceptive scent, so well blended that it smells simple, but on consideration, there's a lot more going on. It reminds me a lot of some the CD Grindhouse girls I've tried. It's a really wonderful, sensual scent. Almost like an apple-less Agrat Bat Mahalat. Delicious as it is now, this one is going to age GLORIOUSLY, I'm sure!

Edited by mparker

CXXVII: In the bottle and wet, a somewhat horrifying herbal-y mushroom; it retains that scent to the point it makes me slightly nauseous. After an hour and a half that finally wears off, leaving a somewhat peppery O, which is actually very nice. I'll age this before I decide to get rid of it, but unless the herbal mushroom ages completely away, the final stage just isn't nice enough to warrant the initial stages for me. :sad:

ETA: after about two hours it's just O.

Edited by pacifick

XVI (16)

O and Humbug got together and had vanilla honey licorice babies. :yum: This one right here is, so far, my favorite CT evah!!

LX (60)

In the bottle: Having a hard time figuring out what in the heck this one is. A few other people weren't able to place it either.

Edited by TwilightEyes

CXXXI

In the bottle: Cocoa, maybe hazelnut, a slight smell of coffee, and O.

Wet on skin: I can definitely smell the honey but it is combining so well with the cocoa. There is a slight green, sharp note around the edge but not unpleasant.

Dry down: This mellows into a nice warm honey chocolaty scent. :wub:

This one is definitely a keeper!

ETA: The more I've smelled this the more it has reminded me of something and it finally came to me. This is like having Lush's Honey Trap lip balm in perfume form. :angel:

Edited by mysti_blue

IV

I feel like I've won the lottery with both my Chaos scents. :blink:

This, my friends, is the perfect lemon tea. Not a hot tea - no, this is a tea to drink on a hot summer's day on a wraparound porch. It's fresh and sugary, cool, refreshing, with a dab of honey to sweeten it. It's everything I wanted Dorian to be, and so much more.

I'm still in shock. This is the lightest, most refreshing version of O I could have imagined.

C

Rich, dark, burnt coffee - a bit sweet and toasted, like a coffee candle. Doesn't smell at all like O to me, but it does have a faint, fruity base, so maybe that's the O. A lot like Miskatonic University - there's also some sort of a wood note in it. I think I like it, although it's definitely more of a winter scent than a Spring one. I'm curious to see how it will age.

The label is wonderful - Loki the trickster god, from an Arthur Rackham illustration, looking wicked and sly.

CXVIII - OMG...chocolate? that's what i get from it...O and yummy, creamy, sweet chocolate.

Wet and in the bottle this is STRONG chocolate.

I was a bit worried 'cause some chocolates don't work that well on me and go wonky on my skin, but this one works nicely.

I am left with a gorgeous, warm, tastey scent of honey and chocolate...not terribly foody in a way that makes me want to eat my skin, but soft, warm and sexy in a way that makes my husband sniff my neck and say, "is that...honey and...(sniff) chocolate (sniff)".

This will be a wonderful amped by warm summer skin and I think it will age gorgeously!!

LOVE!

(p.s. - i also am having a nasty case of PMS, so was thrilled to get a bottle of chocolatey, honeyed goodness in my mail today :) :P

LXXVIII(78)

Okay, here goes.

Bottle: Lemon verbena, honey, and some kind of sweet creamy candy that is not vanilla.

Wet:Sugary lemon verbena and vanilla. Trix! It smells like lemon Trix in the best possible way.

Dry: Powdery-sweet vanilla lemon verbena. About half an hour after that, there is a hint of honey, making the whole thing a light, creamy citrus with just a hint of spice.

This is wonderful. I can't wait to wear this once summer hits! I feel very lucky to have gotten this one, and I'm tempted to take another ride on the scent surprise merry-go-round, and see what other lovely chaos ensues.

CII

I am not good at picking out notes, but here is my impression!

I smell something cool and serene. It's coming from a light, almost crisp sort of green... I don't know, maybe aloe? Cucumber? Yes, pretty sure it's cucumber. It's very soothing! I think I'm also getting something a little sweeter like prickly pear or melon, but that may just be the honey from O. It's less sweet than O is by itself, though. A spring/summer scent fo' sho'.

To summarize: a light, refreshing cucumber melon scent. I quite like this!

(On a another note, this is the fullest bottle I've ever seen. The oil level was way high into the neck.)

My bottle is labeled CC. Not sure what number that is! The first whiff of the bottle is BAM-sweet, spicy cinnamon! Maybe an itty bit of red ginger? Maybe not? DEFINITELY cinnamon though-the honey may be what's making it seem extra sweet!

I am so confused, because I thought they weren't using common allergens in the Chaos blends, but this TOTALLY smells like cinnamon red hots to me >__< On my skin it is still sweet cinnamony goodness, with a hint of something more earthy/woodsy underneath. To be honest, I would never have guessed this even contained O! I love it though! Mmmm, warm and spicy!

As this dries, the sweet honey and soft powdery amber of O come out as the cinnamon calms down. Woohoo! There's that O I know and love. The O really is the backbone of this blend, once that initial blast wears off. Much more soft and subtle, but still with a spicy kick! This blend was a total win for me, and I will definitely be keeping my bottle!

XXXVI

OMG - O and leather? :thud:

my nose is untrained, so I will be researching when I get home, comparing to some other scents to try and figure it out - but in the meantime I will sit here, huff my arm, and swoon with delight...

ETA: it is soft leather like in Dee, not the sharp leather in Loviatar... and O's honey makes it feminine and yummy!

(my bottle was very full also, WinterLeigh)

Edited by Molls

LVVXV(75)

I think, it's a bit hard to read :P

Lovely classic O in the bottle.

On skin , O with the addition of beeswax =) *Very* similar to Hanerot Halalu. A warm, golden and very soothing scent.

Beautiful!

XCIII (93)

In the bottle: O, perhaps a bit lighter than regular O, with honey note most prominent.

Wet on skin: O plus some florals (my nose is bad at identifying specific floral notes unless they are hugely amped, but I know there's no gardenia in here). It's a lot like O + Et Lux Fuit.

Drydown: Initially, very floral, but as drydown continues, the honey and vanilla and a bit of amber come back out, so that gradually it becomes a well-blended mix of florals and O.

The next morning, I could still smell it lightly on my wrist. It's very pretty, very feminine, sophisticated.

I'd have preferred a foodier O blend, but this is pretty.

This is a very resinous O. I smell the dry perfume of frankincense, perhaps benzoin as well, a little myrrh, and perhaps a touch of spice. It's a deep, regal scent, and makes me think of red velvet and gold brocade.

I almost didn't get this because I love honey, but O is kind of meh on me. But I'm so glad I did, because I got...

XLVIII - The Lost Tiki O! It smells like fruit punch, sweet and just a bit tart. I'm not sure what fruit that is predominantly, but I'm guessing it's grapefruit...it reminds me a bit of Screeching Parrot but more full-bodied, and it's just tart enough to be amazing.

I want to get more of these, but 1.) I can't afford 'em and 2.) I don't think I could end up with a nicer scent. Seriously...even my husband was in love with this one!

CCXV

In the Bottle: Sugared grapefruit

Wet: Remains true to the scent in the bottle

Dry: No!!!! Where is the lovely sweet grapefruit? Why am I left with slightly sweet baby powder/play dough?!

Verdict: Curse my skin chemistry! Both of my Chaos bottles were misses :(

Edited by ealasaid86