Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Overgrown dark green bullrush, midnight roses, dwarf St. John's Wort, frankincense, blackberry leaf, and moss-covered, half-buried tree bark.

I want the complexity that a lot of other people have gotten from this. I can get a hint of it from the bottle. But. On my skin, the BPAL rose curse comes into action and I end up with single-note rose within almost seconds.

*sighs dramatically* If you're my scent twin (do I have one of those?), be warned. The rose will eat everything else and then rampage through Tokyo.

The Churchyard doesn't smell NEARLY as dark as I expected. It's very pretty. Shady, but not dark. Sweet, but not overly so. On me, it's mostly a really soft rose... pink, not red... with a sweet green overtone. There's a little bit of dry incense underneath it, grounding it, but I have to sniff really hard to find it.

I don't know if I'd get a bottle -- I have SO MANY rose scents I wear already -- but it is lovely.

The Churchyard was, at first, lovely greenness... though immediately on my skin it developed a sharp soapiness (some green scents do this but usually if I ride 'em out they'll go away).

As I thought, the soapy scent went away in a few minutes, and the rose emerged. Oh, and what a lovely rose it was, too! Fresh and draped over its green backdrop...

Over the next hour or so, the rose quieted down more and more and started to work with the green. Really, really lovely.

Unfortunately, after a few hours, all the distinctive notes in this went away and I was left with a certain scorched-grass smell that I get regularly as the end stages of green scents. Hmmm.

All the beginning stages of this scent are beautiful... I am quite delighted. (Notes to self that rose is not, after all, one of the scary florals on my skin.)

first of all, i just have to say how much i LOVE the picture on this bottle. it's really cute and spooky at the same time! :D now, on to business!

in the bottle: light fruit, *very* strong floral, such as is found in room fresheners. :D

wet on skin: the green bullrush is strong at this point. it's a bit soapy, as people have stated, but mostly it's very "green".

i'm getting some of the moss, too.

dry down: then, slowly after it dries, this whole other fragrance emerges. it's green, soapiness evaporates and is replaced by a light-but strong-incense that has some beautiful hints of blackberry and something vaguely earthy. :P

in all: a total morphing scent for sure, but worth the wait for the dry down: an incense light enough for day time wear, all winter long.

I want to wear this now but can't. I sure hope that it keeps. It is really lush and verdant. Fluffy cool green like the word bullrushes kind of. And the blackberry leaf and incense and roses and dwarf st john's wort smell like non-foody pie filling if that makes any sense. Like herbal pie filling. It is juicy and mouthwatering in a fairy food way maybe. I can't help but feel it is the best mood lifting use of St. John's Wort that there is! This happens to me with scent sometimes where I have to wait for some specific time to wear something. I want to wear it now because it is literally delicious but I can tell I am going to need it sometime in the coming months. This is totally awesome and I am happy that my whole bottle is waiting for me to wear it.

Spring is springing & I figured this might be a nice choice on a green Friday. I get lots of green, a bit of floral, but more moss & leaf. A delighfully light scent that is perfect for spring too! :D

I haven't tried this in a long time, so I thought I would give it a shot today. I'm so glad I did!

It is definitley a morpher! Starts out rather green and fresh, but not sharp, then goes through a short soapy phase (just a few minutes). After that the florals come through, but it's not screaming FLOWERS. It's a very earthy floral with a hint of grass and incense. But once it's dried down a saltiness comes out strangely and it smells like a churchyard on the sea (but no soap or air freshener here, just real salt air).

I like it a lot, just wish it lasted longer. :wub2:

I did have an initial fear of this being too "green" but I've been in love with the Legend of Sleepy Hollow since I was about 3 so I'm out to get my claws on the whole collection :twisted: The Churchyard was so much more than I expected--it turned into a lovely woody blackberry on my skin, with the fruity sweetness of the blackberry leaf probably supplemented by the frankincense and roses. This is the essence of lurking in an abandoned and overgrown blackberry patch in the middle of the night--gorgeous! :wub2:

Lots of bright green and floral in this scent. Never really darkened into what I was hoping for. I may give it another go if I ever run across another imp, but this one is off to the swaps.

Bottle: Almost no smell. What little there is is reminiscent of a freshly plucked flower, the green bleeding through the floral.

Wet: Vague floral with greens. Similar to a dozen or so scents I've tried.

Drydown: Punched up green floral.

Dry: Faint green floral.

Would I ever wear this? Yes, but only if I ran out of other green floral blends because there are so many in my collection.

My rating: 3/5

This is a gorgeous scent, and has almost as much success as The School-House does...

It smells of evergreens and roses in the imp, but on my skin, the frankincense amps a lot.

Not that I like it less for it, since I love frankincense...it's not as powdery as it would be alone.

The evergreens and the blackberry leaf keep it kind of sweet and green.

This is a wonderful blend, and I feel tempted to hunt down the rest of the Sleepy Hollows, if the two I've tried are this good.

I thought this might be green and springy, but it's not really either of those things. It smells lightly floral, lightly herby, and a little sweet, like fruity. It's not very strong, though.

This one is lighter than I had expected, but unfortunately it immediately turns to rose and nothing but rose, which then becomes soap and nothing but soap. None of the other notes are even present after the rose strangled them. :(

Subtle and not as dark as the notes would lead you to believe. It goes on very green and herbal, and softens to a gentle airy floral. Sadly for me there is an in-between stage that smells...wrong. Like litter box. I've never had that happen before, and it goes away but I really wonder what it was? Anyway, there are tons of light green florals that don't do that for me, so I'll keep the imp but I don't think I need a bottle...

Oh my god I've smelled this before somewhere and I can't get myself to flashback where or what. It smells like a churchyard on a chilly, autumn night. Definately has it's spooky elements, but also something sweet and floral.

If you've never been to the Efteling (and considering most people on here aren't Dutch there's a good chance you haven't) you'll probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but I'm getting some crazy spookslot vibes. ...A good thing, to be sure.

Considering whether I should get myself a bottle if it comes back this year, it's that good. :P

Soapy greenery with roses peeking out. It's complex, too, but I’m not sure I could describe the notes. There’s a lightness to it on my skin, and I can smell the St. John’s wort and moss. It’s like walking through a wooded garden. On drydown, I can detect the blackberry leaf somewhere in the roses. This is a very satisfying scent, and I think I’ll keep this one.