Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Chaos Theory IV: Edge of Chaos

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CT:4 CLVIII (#158)

Very lemon in bottle and wet on skin. After the dry down it turns into a mellow sweet scent, the lemon fading into the background. Not sure of the notes, because I'm not very good at picking 'em out! :P Edited by Shollin

cclxxxii (273??) I think that is right.

I love Chaos scents. This was a great surprise.

In the bottle: Sugared Wet Cherry.

I just placed some on the skin and now I am getting a MB Bloody Mary vibe. Like powdered sugar and red berries. I am going to test this next to Bloody Mary and edit this to see if it's as close as my memory says it is....TBC

Overall: I LOVE IT!!

Update: Wet it is similar to bloody mary, but dry it's lighter, watery and very pretty.

Edited by sfsassy

CLII (152)

In the bottle, this one smells very strong. Clove, and maybe a bit of menthol smell. Pepper. It's very complex. On me, it's pretty harsh at first, but softens once it's dry. Again, complex and hard to describe, but it seems a bit masculine for me. Going to try it out on the hubby.

WOOOO Chaos Theory!

CXXXIII (133)

In the bottle: Chocolate maple syrup.

Wet: I smell like pancakes!

Dry: Pancakes and syrup, sprinkled with cocoa; not the burnt-sugar note of Sugar Skull. Light throw.

Verdict: Ultra-foody and yummy, but it's definitely a cool-weather scent.

CXXXIV (134)

In the bottle: Very light, something green and a hint of vanilla.

Wet: Green and a light floral that reminds me of moonflower.

Dry: Light and springy, the floral note is being tempered by the softness of vanilla and possibly a skin musk. Very light.

Verdict: There's so little throw that it would be perfect for an office with scent-sensitive people. It's cool and light, like a spring day. Very nice.

CXLIII (143)

In the bottle: Fruity musk, a hint of something dry and dusty that makes my nose twitch.

Wet: Fruity and spicy. It's a tart fruit, but not pomegranate, maybe cranberry?

Dry: There's definitely a musk under the tart, juicy fruit. My nose is twitching if I sniff too deeply, the way it does with Shango, so I think there may be some chili. Medium throw.

Verdict: I love this! The spiciness gives it a fall feel, but it's not overpowering and could be worn year-round.

CLIII (153)

In the bottle: Holy pine and eucalyptus!

Wet: Eeek! Pine!

Dry: Pine, eucalyptus, some kind of dark berry, and that note from Crypt Queen that goes all to Vicks on me. After grabbing my CQ bottle and testing these side by side, they smell VERY similar to my nose. Pretty strong throw.

Verdict: I can't wear Crypt Queen, and this isn't working for me either. I think I'll try to swap this for a different CT4.

CLXVI (166)

In the bottle: Delicious fruit punch and a champagne note.

Wet: Yummy, red fruits and champagne, mixed together.

Dry: There's definitely cherry and strawberry in there, possibly grape. This *sparkles*. It's sweet and super-fruity. Medium throw, loooong wear length for a fruity scent.

Verdict: If I had a signature scent, THIS WOULD BE IT. Dearest Lab Staff, you are absolute geniuses and I love you dearly.

The only downside to my bliss is that this is the only one of my CT4 bottles that wasn't full past the neck. This one is barely to the shoulder, and therefore must be jealously hoarded and guarded. SOB!

CCXXI (221)

My fractal smells like buttered popcorn. And incense! Or honeyed amber. WTF. That sounds extremely not good, but actually this smells so good that i am getting oil on my nose and face from huffing my arm too closely. Ok, I really just can't believe this. Maybe I am wrong about what it smells like. But seriously, honey buttered popcorn (the popcorn even smells a little burnt!!) with some kind of resin, and actually now I can smell a hint of a smooth floral in there.

Wow.

I can't wait until the meet n' sniff party so I can get some other expert nose opinions on what the hell they think this is!

EDIT:

Okay, I know it's not like anyone cares, because there is only this one bottle of this blend....but I think I may have been trippin about the incense. It's definitely foody, for sure. And I stand by the honey buttered popcorn, only I think the other bit is toasted coconut! I think that yesterday I was just sniffing too many resiny scents to get a proper sense of this. Seriously amazing, though. I am going to get at least another one of these intriguing scent gambles!

Edited by nightbiscuit

CT XLVIII (48):

In bottle: sweet resin/spicy. Probably frankincense, at least.

On skin: the same sweet spicy resin. The spiciness keeps the sweetness in check and doesn't overpower it either.

Dry: It has a very light throw. Sad. It's (to me) a unisex leading to masculine scent, but I like it. Will have to test it out on the hubby, too.

For my very first venture into Chaos.. I like it. I think I'm going to go throw the dice some more. :P

CCCIX

(the bottles really are very lovely).

Wet on the wand and straight on the skin: chocolate. Almost exactly like Bliss. If one can attribute sex to chocolate, this is a close representation. Not musky, earthy or anything, but there is a depth here beyond mousse.

On the dry down: weird… there is a definite citrus thing going on, which is usually a top note. Something herbally, but not green or sharp under that. Very sweet and chocolatey with the herb/wood scent that is really hard to place. It might be giving it the lemony-orange/citrus vibe. There might even be the tiniest whiff of mint (??) This is where Beth shines. This thing is growing tentacles and moving beyond passive thick chocolate pudding. It kind of has a life and depth that is all it's own. The shifting is really quite lovely.

Further in: Goes right back to chocolate, not much else. there is a tiny hint of wood, deepening it a bit. The fade stays true to original scent... it is a bit like a ride. very chocolatey start, around the bend into orange and lemon groves where someone, quite rudely stripped the bark back and the scent of citrus sap hangs in the air, not sharp and the grass and leaves are untouched... then around a corner and a tiny sprig of mint and wood shaving falls in your lap. The ride comes to a stop and you brush off the leaves that have stuck to you from the sap but none of that distracts you from the chocolate that sat with you the entire time.

surreal :-)

CT CCLXVII (267):

This is my first journey of Chaos Theory exploration and I was not disappointed. When I first opened the bottle I was greeted with the scent of bitter chocolate (reminds me of the last 13)with a hint of coffee.

Once it hit my skin they were joined by a creamy undertone of sandalwood along with clover honey, burnt caramel, tobacco flower (similar to that in last years Pumpkin II).

The final note was a watery floral contrast to the other notes. After several days of pondering and comparison sniffing I've decided that it is close to Sundew. Had to be something without listed notes, hey? After a few more comparison sniffs verified by my lovely assistant, Mr. Isis, I believe it is the lotus note that is in Forbidden Fruit.

Overall it is a complex not quite foodie blend. It still seems very freshly mixed. I have a feeling with a few weeks aging it will be down right spectacular.

Chaos Theory CXCIII (193):

Hm. Hmmmm. Pine. Lots of pine (or cedar). In the bottle it smells like their might be some sort of moss note in here too (Spanish, I think). It smells like an evergreen forest. There's some sort of green vegetation that I can't place. It's warm and resiny. Starts off with a weak throw that strengthens as it dries. I am one of the lucky few that likes pine and doesn't think it smells like air freshener on me, but this is pretty straight-up pine with some sort of warm base note. It does smell like whatever pine note is in Golden Priapus and Illustrated Woman. I like it, but don't know how often I'd wear it. I think I may let it rest a week or so and try again, but it may go to swaps.

It's actually reminding me of whatever atmosphere scent they used to have at the E.T. ride in Hollywood, if anyone knows what I'm talking about :P

CXIX (119):

CLOVE! Rich, spicy clove, and after about half an hour, I get something that smells like anise, which was most welcome. This ended up being something that strongly resembles Gingerbread Poppet crossed with Clemence. Very exciting!

4/5

Edited by inurbanus

CLXIII (163)

Sweet but smoky - there's definitely a hint of vetiver in there. Definitely a winner. I cannot stop smelling my wrists. It smells exactly like a smoldering fireplace but with sweetness and some spice. Like if you burned some spices on top of a wood fire, but sweeter. I suck at picking out notes but I want to say there's some red wine type scent in there, that's what the sweetness is like - sweet but deep and dark and yummy.

I wish I had ordered more CTs now.

Standard disclaimer – I have only been doing this crazy bpal thing since april, and while I do ok at identifying the individual notes in blends, I am definitely not as sophisticated as some of you. So you will have to take my best guesses with a grain of salt! also, i am neurotic enough to consider mine a his/hers set, and to name them. :P [Mods - my 2 reviews keep merging into one post, so please split if necessary.]

CCXXXVIII 238 (Pompelmo giallo - per lui) in the bottle - astringent grapefruit (yellow). on, it quickly develops a lot of very rich tobacco, and a note that is probably bergamot/possibly vetiver. the drier it gets, the more tobacco-y and masculine it is (on me, of course), until the grapefruit is pretty well gone (maybe that was bergamot masquerading as grapefruit in the beginning, anyway?). in addition to the color of the grapefruit (pompelmo) i'm imagining, "giallo" also refers to mysteries, and this is one weird lil oil, so that's fitting. Guys/gals who like darker manly blends such as Iago and Incantation might like this one. (not that they smell the same, just that they're dark and unsweet and manly)

CCXLIX 249 (Pompelmo rosa - per lei) in the bottle - peach. but on, i'm getting peach, sweet grapefruit (pink), orange, and a candy sweetness i'm pretty sure is lotus, but could possibly be a subtle banana note. it actually smells a lot like the body shop's fuzzy navel stuff, which i used to like (as bath products) in college. very happy and bubbly and girly. in addition to the grapefruit being pink, "rosa" also means feminine/girly, so again, fitting. This one is really quite pretty, I'm just not particularly a fruity girl.

Edited by veronicafranco

CXXXVIII 138

In the bottle, this is fruit and sugar. I can't really call it sugared fruit -- the two are definitely separate.

Wet on my skin, it's fruit and cotton candy. Maybe fruit-flavored cotton candy.

Dry, the fruit takes a backseat to the cotton candy, plus white sugar and powdered sugar have joined the party. Seriously, this is sweetness to the extreme.

If I were to give this blend a name, it'd have to be Sugar Rush. It's a great scent, and I'm definitely keeping it.

I got my other two bottles en today :P

I (1)

In the bottle it smells deeply floral and green. not something I'd normally wear. But a nice scent all the same. Wet it is stll very green smelling like lush dark leaves. After a while it smells like there is a bunch of roses in it. Normally that would be a huge turn off for me as rose normally ends up smelling like old lady on me. But there's something that I don't know what tht off sets the rose just enough that it just smells like a nice rich rose. It makes me think of a Victorian parlor.

II (2)

This one is sweet and fruity in the bottle I love it already! On me it smells like Christmas. There's no other way of saying it. It's frutiy like apples abd cranberies with a hint of spice. It's fruity and sweet without being foody. I totally love this one!!!

CX - 110

buttery, salty, popcorn. Not loud or harsh, but you can really taste the butter. A bit later a little caramel, sorta maybe flashes by. But only for a second then right back to butter. Not overpowering.

Not staying

CXX - 120

oh my. this is just lovely. It's just like being on the beach in Aruba, in the shade by a garden.

The florals are like New Orleans but not as pronounced or heady. Then the sea and sand come in. It's glorious.

totally staying.

CCXCV

See, I told y'all, I can't identify a single note in this. :P I can however say that it is very green smelling, lasts well, has pretty fair throw, and that it seems to like me.:D

My first CT experience=WIN.

ETA--ok, just so I don't feel quite so made of teh stoopid...I knew from the first sniff that this was reminding me of another green-noted BPAL, & in the middle of the night it hit me--I got up, rifled thru my bottle holder and found it. Noche Buena! My CT smells exactly like the green in NB, which is one of my faves. There's something else to it, spice or smoke-ish, not the slight sweetness of NB. So they are diff enough that I love them both. And now I feel a trifle more competent.

Edited by dixiehellcat

CLXXX (180) is strong and full bodied. It smells clearly of cardamom and what the primary note in Highwayman. I thought for a while it was the leather, but now I think it might be the vetiver. This is a fantastic masculine scent, but a little to butch for me. :P

CCIII (203), might very well be mint and oak combined, which is gentle and somewhat pleasant but very weird. The scent floated above the skin by several inches and never became powdery or acrid, so over all it works as a perfume.

CLXVIII 168

As I feared, I'm having a hard time identifying what's in this. I think it's ozone-aquatic-fruit juice. In any case, it's a really nice scent and I'll keep it around.

CCXXVII - 227

Sugared Cherries!

Wet this smells just like a cherry popcicle. Cherry w/ an icey/slush note.....it's summer joy! Not really a morpher, the cherry note deepens upon drydown but never ventures into the land of cherry cough syrup (which was my fear). This will be a lot of fun to layer (maybe w/ something darker for winter....perhaps something with sandalwood, incense or amber? :P )

It's a keeper!

Edited by raspberryswirlgirl

Second review for CLXXVI (176)

ElinaMakropulos' review

My take on it: in the bottle, a beautiful burnt vetiver, smoky but sweet in a glistening, resinous way. A bit lighter than Malediction, somewhat comparable to the Grand Inquisitor's Heretic's Fork, and a little less burnt but similar to Smokestack. Sometimes when I breathe in deeply from the bottle I get a hint of that sort of "coffee and cigarettes" smell because of the burnt, roasted quality of the vetiver and the ashen, smoky scent, but somehow it manages to do this in a way that is not bad.

As it dries the smoke clears and we are left with a glistening dark brown surface, stained with ash but wiped smooth. Yes, yes indeed, this is one for me, I'm glad that I was able to give it a home!

ETA: Agnes Nutter! That's the closest to what this one smells like!

Edited by sarada

CCCXCII (392)

On first sniff I had no idea how to describe this. It's tart and creamy at the same time with a very strong "soapy" note that I think might be lavender. Wet on my wrist the creaminess fades very quickly and the tart fruit and lavender-ish note blend to form something bright, clean and fresh. When dry on (very warm and slightly sweaty) skin the tartness fades to the background and the clean notes linger with a very faint undercurrent of light florals. I really love this one, It is delightful; sophisticated yet fun !

After sniffing the bottle a few more times I've decided that this reminds me of quince (something I looooove the smell of). It doesn't smell like quince, but has a similar tart yet creamy texture to the scent, with the floral background that the quince fruit has when ripe.

Definately a keeper!

Wow, these labels are so much prettier than last years!

DXXXII = 532

This smells so familiar. I swapped away my bottles, so I can't do a side to side, but I recognize some notes in common with Hungry Ghost Moon and Tamamo No Mae. There's a high, effervescent gingery-candy-fruity note, as well as something deeper tying it all together.

This is very nice, but it's not the kind of scent I would reach for. Off to the swaps!

LLXXXVIII (invalid roman numeral!? LOL)

This smells like sweet peach nectar, sweet and dripping, with just a hint of the fuzz from the skin of the peach. It's very fruity and the peach is so prominent that I really can't get much of any other note.

CLVI (156)

This smells like a pure shot of sassafrass with a rooty, astringent bite. I also get hints of an old atmospheric resin and some dry, dusty paper.

ETA: I accidentally switched my reviews yesterday but now they actually match their number.

CXV (115)

this scent is an almost EXACT dupe of a scent released by heaven & earth essentials called "heather and hyacinth." and it just so happens that i ADORE that scent, so getting this bottle is a real treat! and i am quite positive that i am smelling hyacinth in the bottle, not so sure about heather (as i'm still unsure what heather smells like). there may also be lilies and some greenness (as my fair SW proposed, as she was the one who sent me this!). within the BPAL catalogue, it reminds me very much of the gibbous moon; both lovely, dreamy green floral bouquets. i will treasure this one!!!

Chaosiv146.jpg

CXLVI (146): This blend starts off with a strong pine note and something which smells astonishingly clove-like. Now this is a combo I would not have thought would be good, but it is surprisingly nice to smell, especially since the pine doesn't overshadow the other notes. In fact, this blend puts me very strongly in mind of Yule celebrations, and the incense I like to burn at midwinter. Yes, there is also a smoky undernote to this as well...almost incense-y, which quickly overtakes the initial pine.

I traded for this bottle with another forumite, because it didn't work with her skin chemistry. It does with mine, fortunately, and I love it!