Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tart

Obeah

While wet: Strong. White and green and warm all at the same time. Smells like there may be a citrus note, maybe a light patchouli? I wish I were more familiar with masculine scents...There is something so familiar in here, but I can't catch it. Maybe there is the slightest hint of pine or cedar here, but not in a way that makes me feel sick (like Goneril did -- sorry). This is clean and clear and...as it's starting to dry, something darker is coming.

[[suspense]]

I'll update again to review through the drydown stage and for staying power.

NOTE: Though there is now a Twilight Alchemy Lab oil named Obeah, these prototype frimps were being sent out long before TAL went live (as you can see) and it's unlikely the Lab would be sending out frimps of a "full-oomph" magical blend. We're therefore choosing to keep the review threads separate. As of 6/23/06, there isn't a review for the TAL oil yet; I'll add a link when someone reviews it! --Shollin

My thoughts on this are repeated from my original question about it on the what's this scent thread....I haven't completely figured out how the forum works so couldn't do the easy thing and quote myself :D

Out of the bottle and on it starts incredibly strong. The scent to me is harsh almost metallic, and very familiar....but I can't identify it. Its not pleasant...and my friend who I was trying these with suggested I wash it off, but I decided to let it dry down and see what it was like.

After about an hour, the initial top note wore off and I could smell....pachouli maybe? Now its been on for several hours and it has begun to smell a bit green to me as it did for tart....and definately something dark!

Its like nothing I've smelled.

I don't think I'd wear it....it seems more serious somehow than a perfume, like something you'd wear in ritual work or to invoke....something :P I imagine it must be for the voodoo line, given the meaning of the word Obeah...

It is also strangely compelling....a bit hypnotic....all in all, I REALLY want to know what is in this.

I wouldn't buy a big bottle, but I'm very intrigued with the sample I got.

In the vial: Orange, clove, patchouli, maybe? It's very light on top and dark and vicious beneath.

On me: It's soft and pleasant, with the orange, wee spice, and greenery for about ten seconds, then starts smelling like a dirty diaper. Ugh. Can't stand it.

Patchouli's the predominant note on me, though I can smell a bit of orange and perhaps some spice (clove?). Really, it's pretty heavy on the patchouli and I find it difficult to smell anything else.

This one is very interesting and like others I'm having trouble pinning down the notes, but then again that's not something I'm very good at to start with :P

But my first thought when it went on wet was ... pepper???

There's something very foody in an unsweet way, like something you might use making chicken soup or something.

There's also something in it that kind of reminds me of childhood arts and crafts, that paste we would use, but not in an unpleasant way, just in an evocative one. (ETA: Now that it's 2013 and I have more BPAL experience, I can attest that would have been the wet patchouli scent for me which is "nursery school paste" but in a good way).

As it's drying, I get more of the patchouli or cedar sense that others are mentioning. I really like this scent but maybe not as a perfume, more as a room scent or something. It is somehow quite calming. I think I'd like it in a candle or something like that ... or a car scent.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

In the vial I could smell what I assume was patchouli, but it wasn't enough to put me off - as patchouli generally does. Wet it had about the same smell, and then as it began to dry it got a bit spicey. Then the funk began. But, on me it was a short funk period. Maybe 5 minutes while my freaked out, hormone addled, PMS'd body chemistry attacked it and gave it a run through the Pkwench wringer. After that brief phase, it was incensey with a light streak of patchouli. What it really reminded me of was a stick of the anonymous black incense sticks in the run of the mill cheap incense multi-packs. Sometimes they call it opium, sometimes patchouli, sometimes midnight-this, that, or the other, but ever notice with that kind of stuff that all of the black insense smelled the same? Yeah, it had that smell and, though I abhore that kind of incense, it really wasn't bad at all. It smelled rather nice, in a spicey I-eat-wimps-for-breakfast kind of way. The final dry down was a strange, comforting, powdery, sweaty man smell. That's the only way I can describe it. It smelled spent. It smelled, if you will, like walking into a room where incense had been burning all night and where someone had been making love all night until they woke up dazed to find it morning with candles guttered, wax pooling on the dresser top, and the contents of a tub of powder shattered on the floor.

Edited by pkwench

I don't know that I could wear this, as it seems very masculine to me. When I put it on there was a strong mixture of patchouli and and pine. It reminded my SO somewhat of Jabberwocky because of that pine, though of course without the eucalyptus. Dry it is quite incensy and heavy on the pathcouli, once the initial pine has died down somewhat.

I seem to have a strange nose. My boyfriend said I smell like a hippie. This means I smell like patchouli. He also smelled cedar or pine. However I cannot smell either of these. Obeah smells like public bathroom cleaner. It smells the same to me as Sacred Whore of Babylon. I think the reviews for other scents say that this may be lilacs, but I do not know the smell of lilacs.

Obeah

When first applied this is incredibly strong and makes me think of cleaning fluids; that often means pine. I persevere and after a few minutes patchouli, initially very harsh, mixing with and then overcoming what I take to be pine, then sweetening and mellowing into Kensington Market sometime in the early 70s. There’s an incense feel, but at the moment the patchouli is too strong to allow my nose to really identify anything else; it doesn’t smell scorched so I’m guessing frankincense rather than myrrh.

An hour or so later and I can smell a floral note, possibly lily but again I’m not sure.

After another hour the floral has morphed to strong jasmine. Jasmine magnifies so much on my skin the patchouli is now barely detectable.

Either my skin and / or nose are really screwy today or this contains jasmine.

Edited by allamanda

Obeah...I didn't know what it meant; a quick Internet search says it's, "Jamaican version of voodoo Shamanism." A powerful oil, definitely. On me, it's strong citrus with green herbal/resinous notes. Calms down and blends more after an hour, but still herbal and resin. Gender-neutral, serious and strong--since I wear mostly uber-femme stuff it's not really me. Off to swap!

I got this one yesterday (along with 3 others) that I was just chomping at the bit to try.

In The Bottle: Obeah is very hard to describe...something citrusy (I'm hoping not lemon verbena), but it smells like a light orange, with a darker quality around it. Is that amber? A faint pine scent lingers on my fingers as well. Sounds interesting, doesn't it? Now, to put it to the test.

On Me: Nope, that's definately lemon verbena. But...it isn't totally taking my wrist over like usual! Ok, this is good. No, there is definatly a green smell to this, a pione scent without being Pine-Sol. Oh my gosh, this is like walking through the backyard in Germany, with the crisp smell of the firs and the bitterness of the lemon trees.

There's something more there too. Is that eucalyptus? Something medicinal...I think its eucalyptus. But that vision of my mostly forgotten youth (I had to have been 4 at the time) still keeps coming in.

When this comes out this is a big bottle for me! This is gorgeous!!

:P

Obeah

I smell the citrus in the bottle. Orange to my nose. I was looking for the patchouli, but I'm not getting it at all. Leather, that's what I get. It smells just like leather on my skin. (My husband thinks this is hilarious for some reason) It's too masculine for me, so hubby gets it :P I'm sure he'll like it.

I got Obeah as an extra in my fantastic last order, and after reading a little about what Obeah is, as in magical practice that will kick your ass for misuse (although I think this is a karmic standard feature), I was a little scared to dab this stuff on. But I'm glad I did. This stuff is murky and subterranean- I smell the citrus, the patchouli, and something smoky and earthy right away. Almost like flesh smell, but in a nice way. I agree w/ the assertion that this is a more masculine blend. I gave my dad Kweku Anansi and Old Kathmandu, and he's totally down with both btw, but I don't know if I could handle him smelling like a Patchouli Voodoo Wizard.

If you're into the P-dawg, you'll like Obeah. If you know what you're doing as far as rituals and what not, it definitely has a pseudo-sinister godhead kind of power to it. I am slightly puzzled by it, but it doesn't take much. :P

Definately very masculine.

It starts with a strong patchouli note that mellows pretty quickly. It's a lot like Greed at first (but less smooth). Once it's settled down, it's a very earthy smell. In fact, it smells a lot like dirt and weeds, but not in a nasty way, but it's the smell of pulling weeds in the garden. On a cloudy day, though. This isn't a sunny scent.

Anyway, it's very masculine, but I like it.

This is a very dark scent on me, it smells like... fire... or damp burnings. After it settles, it smells like ceder. Somethings very weird about this one (or more likely my body chemistry), but I definitely agree its very masculine. Too masculine for me at least *scampers back to Juilet*

Strong and musky in the bottle, a definite scent of patchouli. Obeah was almost overpowering at first but the musk subsided a little bit, leaving something dark, masculine. This wasn't menacing but rather comforting and strong. I'm going to set this one aside for Jake I think, as it's too strong for me.

Obeah was for me a lesson in waiting for the drydown. When first applied, I also got Eau de Cleaning Solution. The citrus (it does smell like verbena) and combination of cedarwood and patchouli is a bit heady. But within a few minutes it had dried down to a gorgeous citrussy-woody-green scent with a dusty edge.

It reminded me a lot of Namaste, and I can see it being quite calming (voodoo properties aside) and centering. I'm really glad I waited it out and caught the mellow drydown.

Edited by LiberAmoris

I received this as a freebie with my early August order.

In the bottle, Obeah smelled dark and pungent.

As soon as it touched my wrist, all I could smell was thick patchouli. I hate patchouli :P I waited a couple of seconds to see if the scent would morph or any other notes would arise. Nope. Just patchouli.

I had to run to the bathroom and wash it off.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what's in here. But it's green and brown and herbal and grassy and woody and a bit astringent. Something in here smells a lot like an herbal medicine my mom used to give me and my sister for strep throat and colds, and something else smells like another sharp yet dusty herb that pierces your nose when you walk into a health food store into the herb/tea section - goldenseal or marshmallow root or eyebright something like that.

I think I'd like this a lot more if it didn't have sickroom memories for me.

hmmm I smell Myrrh, Patchouli and definately Jasmine. It's almost like there is the smallest amount of coffee imaginable in this. Either that or it makes me think of Beths' Mata Hari so much that my nose is making me think its in there. It is definalty masculine, earthy and warm, even with the jasmine in this. I'm really curious to know what is in it.

Obeah

Preconceived notions: Due to reviews that said it was dark, mysterious, and occult-shop smelling, I thought it might make a good circle blend, particularly considering what it means.

In the vial: strong ylang ylang and spice. Wow - very complex, and definitely dark and mysterious This smells like magic.

On me:

At first, it’s smoky and mysterious, and on the right, a touch of citrus. This is the magic of small bones used for divination rattling on a stone floor, with dark candles illuminating the space. Very dusty and ancient smelling, with a lot of power.

In a couple of minutes it starts to sweeten up a bit, and get a little warmer... I can’t see wearing this as perfume solely to smell good, because it’s a little too dusty and smoky, but it would make a wonderful power blend to use in circle.

After a few minutes I find myself disagreeing with that last sentence. I like this. I could wear this as perfume. I’m sure I’d get some strange glances, but it’s what I like, and that’s what’s important anyway. And it wafts well...

A little digression after reading the other reviews of this one: It’s settled - I like scents that other people call ‘masculine’. I like some ‘feminine’ ones, too. As I suspected, I think I just need to ignore the ‘gender’ comments, since they don’t seem to apply to me.

Within half an hour, I pick out a scent I’ve been noticing all along - jasmine. I’m getting some jasmine with the ylang ylang - they blend so well together I missed it at first. And there are still the deeper incense-type scents in there.

After an hour, I begin to smell amber. I definitely get amber. And it’s the pointy amber of Loviatar and Spellbound, but in this blend, it works because of the deeper scents. The amber lasted until I went to bed.

Final impressions: I love this. I probably will use it in circle more than as perfume, if only because I have things like the Queen of Spades which appeal to me more aesthetically, but it’s definitely a me kind of scent. Wonderful.

Wet, this is PATCHOULI.

Then it turns into PATCHOULI + bathroom cleaner.

Then PATCHOULI + coffee.

Then back to PATCHOULI + bathroom cleaner.

Then PATCHOULI + pine.

In case you couldn't tell, it is really, really, heavily patchouli-ish on me. This is a note that I don't mind a small amount of in a blend, but can't take in quantity, so Obeah is not for me. It's also too sharp and masculine for my tastes.

FIRST SNIFF: citrus, patchouli, tobacco

WEARING IT: this is a really sweet and heavy blend. it would be perfect for a man. it's sophisticated and unusual, very regal. i still smell tobacco, and perhaps some type of vanilla mixed in with the patchouli. in a way it's almost outdoorsy - perhaps there is a hint of pine thrown in as well.

VERDICT: will definitely get kevin to try this on :P

The first two notes I get from Obeah are lemon peel and patchouli. Behind that there's wet cedar and spicy earth, and something dark that might be tobacco. This invites repeated sniffing as the fragrance unfolds.

The Obeah scent is compelling and sinister -- something I'll retain in the fragrance library, but not something I'll revisit frequently.

First sniff:

Wow, this smells freakishly like LUSH's Karma soap! I smell patchouli and orange peel and maybe some lemongrass? This is nice in spite of the fact that I don't like citrus in my scents. :P

Wet on skin:

The sweetness of the orange peel (or what I'm assuming is orange peel) is tempering the earthiness of the patchouli to where it's not so potent and the earthiness of the patchouli is tempering the sweetness of the orange peel so it's not cloying or too citrusy. The sweetness seems to be growing a bit now that it's on my skin, but I really like this a lot!

Dry down:

The patchouli and sweet orange peel have balanced each other out and the result is gorgeous! It's not cloying and it's not too "dirty" smelling. I'm really going to enjoy finding out exactly what's in this one. :D

The bottom line:

I'm definitely going to get some more of this once it comes out on the site. This is really nice and it perfectly complements my Karma soap. :D