Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Yuki-Onna

The Lady of the Snow, Winter Ghost, Snow Queen. A chilling, haunted blend of bergamot, lemon verbena, sandalwood and jasmine.

Yup, I have to put in another voice likening Yuki-Onna to lemon pledge. I like lemon pledge... just don't know if I want the smell following me around all day. After about an hour, a sweet, smoky jasmine starts to come out, but it is mostly overpowered by the sharp lemon scent.

3 hours later, this has turned into a light soapy lemon on me. I never noticed any sandalwood. I feel very unimpressed with this one.

Edited by Shollin

yukionna.jpg

Yuki-Onna should never touch my skin. First it stunk then it turned into cheap lemon scent. This one was a total wash out on me, but it might be great on someone who loved things like O and whose skin chemistry was suitable to wear with ultra jasmine.

I did think of this, it reminded me of a prototype of Whitechapel, which is one of my all time favorites.

Edited by olympia301

In the bottle: Slightly feral jasmine note that reminds me of my first impression of Salome. Sandalwood, too. The citrus notes are faint, and there's definitely a fresh, cold aspect to it.

On, wet: Oho, there's the lemon verbena and the bergamot. The jasmine is fleeting, only just there. The sandalwood is faint as well, but it anchors the citrus notes, keeping them from being overwhelming.

Drydown: Now it's primarly jasmine + sandalwood. There's just a ghost of citrus left behind.

I like it, but the jasmine might ultimately be a little problematic. However, I'll try it out some more, as I find it intriguing.

Edit: Oh dear. The jasmine just doesn't seem to be working at all on me. Damn damn DAMN. And I so liked it with the lemon and the sandalwood. I'll test it once more, but I may need to find this bottle a new loving home. :P

Edited by hangingfire

Origin - Discontinued Circular Swap

Wet - I smell lemon, but it's a light lemon, mixed with something else.

Dry - it doesn't really morph much, it just a light lemony scent. I don't get any sandalwood or jasmine from this at all, which is a shame, as it would make this a bit more enjoyable.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 2 .

In the bottle: The lemon verbena and jasmine are entertwined together at first sniff, the sandalwood lurking in the background. I'm a little worried about the jasmine because my skin amps jasmine pretty well.

On my skin: So far, so good. The lemon verbena and jasmine are competing with each other as top notes. It's really quite interesting sniffing this. What I think is jasmine starts taking on a lemony note, and vice versa, so they seem to swirl around each other. Being familiar with Mountain Snow Woman, this really does evoke her icy visage in my mind, snow flurries eddying around her white kimono as she waits for another victim. Perfect, spot on encapsulation of her in perfume form. :] And I can't say how pleased I am that the jasmine isn't bullying its way to the front to the detriment of the other notes like it usually does.

Later on: The lemon verbena and jasmine have finally burnt themselves out, and all that's left is the sandalwood.

Yuki-Onna

In the imp: lemon verbena, bergamot and a hint of jasmine.

Wet on skin: citrus! This is a lovely sweet jasmine-citrus, reminiscent of New Orleans without the spice. I like it a lot.

Dry on skin: this is lovely, really lovely. There's a strong lemon scent here, slightly lemongrass-y (the verbena) and slightly tea-like (the bergamot) and the sweet, floral jasmine softens and sweetens the tangy citrus scents. It's very pleasant, light and feminine, fresh and zingy. I don't get sandalwood yet.

After a while: huh? Where's all the citrus gone? The lemony loveliness? The scent fades fast, leaving a faint, dry, slightly green jasmine-sandalwood scent. No more tangy citrus.

Verdict: at first, this was a lovely tangy citrus scent with jasmine, with verbena and bergamot with a sweet heady jasmine in the background. Very full and lush, reminiscent of New Orleans but without the spice. Unfortunately it fades pretty fast on me, the scent it leaves behind is nice, but a bit dry smelling and very faint. It's a lovely scent to begin with and I enjoyed that stage, but I'm not going to pine for this discontinued scent-but I do feel privileged to have tried it.

My imp is nicely aged, heh heh. But I'm so glad to have gotten my hands on it! I love jasmine, but it almost always is overwhelmingly sweet on me, to the point that I can't wear it. And lemon verbena is my favorite single-note scent of all time, but it often doesn't do well in blends. Here in Yuki-onna, the jasmine and verbena blend perfectly! I will have to be very sparing with my lone imp and save it for special occasions.

Yuki-Onna is predominantly jasmine on my skin. As much as I like jasmine, it doesn’t like me so much. Or maybe it likes me too much. Either way, it’s difficult to give this blend an objective review because of the way the jasmine scent gets blown way out of proportion with my skin chemistry, but I’ll do my best. When initially applied, the jasmine stayed in the background, and the lemon verbena was the strongest note. Upon dry-down, the jasmine starts to amp up and the sandalwood makes itself known, and the three of them make what would be a really gorgeous combo if only that pesky jasmine would tone itself down a bit. I’m surprised at how well these three scents blend. I would have never guessed at how well they blend. For a jasmine blend, this really isn’t bad at all, but unfortunately, it’s still not wearable on me. The throw is moderate and the staying power is really good.

bottle:

lemon verbena

wet:

lemon verbena and sandalwood, not sure what else I can smell but a very cold/snowy scent

dry:

pretty much the same - not going soapy (YAY!) a new favorite combo!!

rating:

love this - wish it wasn't an LE!!!

overall: 9/10

(I love lemon verbena but most bpal blends i've tried so far just don't work for me. this is the best one i've tried... sigh.... wish i could get more!!)

Yuki-Onna - from the DC imp swap.

Oh, the dreaded sandalwood. And lemon verbena. Both amp on me unbearably.

In the imp: Tart and lemony fresh! Bergamot and lemon verbena, and a whiff of jasmine.

On me/wet: Lemon pledge! AAAAAUGH!

Drydown: While it stayed at the lemon pledge stage for a long time, it has finally acquired a hint of musty woodiness. Now I smell like the inside of an antique store.:P

Yuki-Onna was definitely not a scent made with me in mind.

In Bottle: Lemon Pledge

On Skin: The lemon verbena is singing as top note. Lemon to the extreme! The sandalwood gives this scent a beautiful soft blanket to lie on and the jasmine gives a pretty feminine quality. The bergamot isn’t harsh which is nice. This is a very floral fruity scent, it doesn’t seem to like me much but I love the description so I had to try it. I don’t get snow, or winter from it. To me it’s more yellow and springlike… like drinking a glass of lemonade while sitting in the garden. Soft and powdery, very pretty. Average throw and average wearlength.

In the imp: mainly I smell bergamot and lemon verbena.

On the skin: this is a pretty light scent. Initially I smell mainly lemon verbena with bergamot in the background. I smell a bit of the jasmine but it’s real light. This is a nice, herbal scent along the line of classic colognes. After it’s been on a while it takes a somewhat powdery character.

I snapped up a partial of this and was delighted to get to try it, finally! This isn't what I expected after reading the reviews. Almost everything with lemon in it turns to lemon Pledge on my skin, but this.. no, this was a light lemon verbena with jasmine. The jasmine stops the lemon from being sharp and rounds it out.. It's really an interesting, clean scent that does make me think of Spring. If only lemon and I were on better terms! It's nothing personal.. It's just not one of my favorite notes, and isn't particularly 'me'. This is much prettier than I imagined, though. I'll be sad to see it go, but it's off to the swap pile with Yuki-Onna.

Resurrected version 11/2006, straight from the lab.

Wet, Yuki-Onna is all lemon verbana and bergamot. Very cold and sharp citrus. It mellows as it dries though, I guess you have to be a bit patient with her :D. Further drydown, I can smell jasmine and sandalwood. It's a very cool, yellow-green scent. Very, very pretty. To me, it's like a colder Gennivre. :P

At first, all I can smell is the lemon verbena. Then, it turns slightly woodsy, and it ends up as all sandalwood and jasmine. I never caught a whiff of the bergamot, but the lemon verbena was probably edging it out. It's interesting but not really something I see myself wearing frequently, so I may end up swapping it.

on me this was mostly lemon. i bought it 'cause it was ressurected, i liked the story, and i LOVE jasmine. but i didn't get any. but mind you, i like lemon scents, so layered with eos or something, it's lovely.

but, i can't find my bottle!!!! :P

Edited by klavierbarrette

Sweet! Lemon verbena likes me, and that is what I am getting. Along with a dash of bergamot.

Persistently. No jasmine.

Given all the dark scents in my latest order, this is a relief. I will be holding on to Yuki-Onna, and holding off my purchase of Polyhymnia or Calliope in large bottles, for they smell about the same.

This review is based on a decant from the discon. circular swap, not the 2006 resurrection:

I cannot wear the vast majority of heavy jasmine blends, and unfortunately, no amount of citrus/spicy/Oriential perfumierie magic can save Yuki-Onna from being heavily jasmine to my chemistry. Ah well.

I thought Yuki-Onna was a bit sharp and aggressively lemony, but pleasant. My darling husband, on the other hand, said it smelled like men's room disinfectant. ::sigh::

Off to swaps for my imp, I think.

Folks who don't normally do well with jasmine, take note: this is a really nice, fresh, natural smelling jasmine, not the heady, perfumy jasmine that can be far too much to bear.

Though this may not sound like much of a compliment, it reminds me of the jasmine scent that used to come in the Love's Baby Soft perfume set. I loved that jasmine because it was so fresh and whole-flower (stem and all).

Though this normally wouldn't be my kind of scent, I think I've really taken to it.

Hmmm... I usually do well with all of the notes listed in this scent, but it just doesn't work for me. I think the jasmine might actually be night-blooming jasmine? Because it smells like that harsh scent night-blooming jasmine has, and I really dislike it. :P

In the bottle, this smells sharply of (what I think is) night-blooming jasmine and lemon. I shudder, but try it anyway, because no one else mentioned they thought it might be night-blooming.

Wet, this is pure lemon - I was worried I'd get the Pledge scent, but thankfully, it died down.

Dry, the florals come out - I really, really swear it's night-blooming! Really! I can't smell the sandalwood, and only barely smell the lemon or bergamot. It's mainly jasmine on me.

I didn't like it - I prefer my jasmine to be sweeter. Still, I'm very grateful this scent came back, because I really, really wanted to try it!

Edited by Kiena

In the bottle and wet on my skin: Lemon Pledge in a big way :P . I can even smell a little woodiness. It scares me, but I kind of like it...it makes me feel like I've been cleaning, and I feel so virtuous wearing it. Until I realize I smell like a coffee table.

Dry: Lemonheads candy. Lemonheads in your mouth after you've downed a handful and you start getting the sourness headache. I'm going to give this some time and see if some of this craziness dies down...right now it smells like artificial lemon and nothing else. Damn, this will wake you up!

ETA: The lemon has calmed down a bit, and the Jasmine's peeking out. It smells like...Lemonheads and jasmine :D . But it's kind of growing on me now that it's not so strong. It's a fun scent.

Edited by savage_rose

Bottle: sweet, pale florals. very pale. Did I mention the paleness...very visual.

Wet: Oddly 'perfume-y' without a single note taking charge. I'm not sure how to describe this phase.

Dry: jasmine amping and growing sweeter. naughty jasmine does no tplay well with others.

Later: mellowed, all jasmine.

This is almost entirely lemon verbena on me, with a smidgen of bergamot. I can't smell any jasmine, which is weird because that one usually amps on me. There is something distorting the lemon scent when it's dry, though, and I guess that's the jasmine because the sandalwood wouldn't do that. But I wouldn't be able to peg it as jasmine. When it's dry sometimes I think I can smell some sandalwood, but it's fleeting.

I'm not a lemon verbena kind of gal, but this does smell fresh and light, and I think people who like lemon scents should give this one a try.