Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

The World

The World: Whoa - wintergreen! Very strong wintergreen, which is weird, since most reviewers seem to get cinnamon. It does smell terrific, just like a linament I used to make for my horse. My horse got a lot of rubdowns, because I adored the wintergreen smell so much!

On: Ah, there's the cinnamon. But where did the wintergreen go?

Dry: Sandalwood with just a hint of cinnamon. More of a working scent for me, which is just fine. If the wintergreen had lasted through my skin chemistry, I would have been elated.

The World

Had a bit of a vetiver kick initially and then immediately shifted into a slightly musty mint scent. It smells a touch like minty necco wafers with a sort of plasticky bandaid backing note.

The World is so inclusive that it's really difficult to describe. There's a lot going on in here and the tumult of notes is pretty complex. But I can definitely smell vetiver, sandalwood or agarwood, and cinnamon. In some ways it reminds me of Hamadryad, but with a vetiver kick.

Even though I'm not fond of vetiver, here it is absolutely lovely, even though it is a dominant note on me. The cinnamon tempers and sweetens the vetiver a bit, and the woods support it. The World is absolutely earthy and grounding, as other reviewers have mentioned. There's something expansive about the combination of notes that truly conjures up the idea of the world in all its variety.

I will never need a bottle of this, as I have to be in just the right mood to wear it, but I'm definitely keeping my imp.

Well color me pleasantly surprised.

I expected this to be very earthy, maybe slightly bitter, maybe a little citrusy, and definitely not a day to day oil.. but this is just wonderfully wearable and lovely.

Initially, I got a very strong wintergreen, which surprised me and took me aback a little. I'm not a big wintergreen fan. But that stage dies fairly quickly; not fading altogether, but becoming much more faint, and it's a pleasant undertone and addition to the other notes.

I smell lovely woodiness, not cedar, but an older, wiser wood smell.

I can't begin to pick out other notes, this oil is amazingly complex.

I love it, and I can see this becoming a bottle purchase in the very near future. I'm a big fan of the world!

In the bottle: Soft earth and something that smells like a really faint mint.

On my skin: Lifesaver's Wint-o-green mints.

Later on: Still a bit minty, but now it's become more herby.

Later still: The herby is starting to give way to the soft earth I first smelled.

In the Bottle: Sugary and woodsie. Very interesting.

Wet: It smells like sugared cedar on. Which means it’ll go carpenter-ish on me

Drydown: Amazingly enough it didn’t go carpenter on me. It’s warm and inviting. I might get a big bottle of this for a sleeping spray.

Very wierd indeed.

I love The World--its on my wish list. What I remember is the lovely woody cinnamon that others note.

So imagine my surprise when I dab a bit on from the Tarot circle and what I get is light, creamy green, something that smells a bit like candy. But nothing at all woody and complex like I remember. I can say for certain I feel no need of having a bottle of this.

So then I dig through my own imps and find my tarted (thus old) imp of The World. Ah, there it is! Sandalwood and cinnamon or cloves and something else...something green.

totally different. Like two different oils. Is it just the aging? Or different batches? Or?

Its a mystery. But I love the woody cinnamony version, and am neither interested nor offended by the other version. The green note--herbal--seems similiar in both of them.

And another mystery--the non-cinnamon smelling one burns just slightly on my skin, while the bursting with cinnamon spice scent one doesn't.

The World on initial application is musty and damp to me. It's the scent of a small running stream while you sit under a very old tree on the banks of the steam. Wet and alive, but deep and rooted. This phase passes quickly and spice comes to the front, a cinnamon kick that is energizing and recharging. It becomes woodsier then, as well, and the must and damp leave, replaced by an airy softness that keeps the spice light as a breeze and awakening without being overwhelming. This is an exceptionally balanced and unique fragrance.

On a further note, I reached for this specifically early this morning because I had troubled dreams and a big project to finish before school and needed something to offset my discombobulation. I find this to be an amazingly gentle, centering and grounding scent that imparts a sense of wholeness and calm.

Apparently, this acted way different on me than a lot of other people.

in bottle: Green, with some citrus. Very bright and fresh.

on skin, wet: Almost medicinal, there's a very sharp note of something that reminds me of anaesthesia, but remains very green.

on skin, dry: The woodiness has come out with some herbal. It's still bright and green. Later still, there's a bit of that old lady perfume that comes about and it becomes slighty powdery.

Overall: 2/5 it's too green and medicinal for me.

Woah, this one is seriously hard to pin down. It morphs a great deal!

Initially, it's all menthol-herbal, very bright and medicinal. Then it starts to sweeten, and there's a note there I can't figure out. Is it aniseed? Bubblegum? some kind of fruit? Whatever it is, it's very sweet.

The final drydown is all sweetness and powder, maybe an amber note even.

This is fun due to how much it changes, but overall it's not my thing. :P

in the bottle: Wintergreen! And herbs--there's a bitterness here that speaks of vetiver...

Wet: Wintergreen. A little overpowering, honestly. Not unpleasant, but whoa! The sour herbal note rises and then, thankfully, dies. In its wake are fresh green herbs and wintergreen.

Dry: After about a half hour, this is a decidedly creamy, almost rootbeer-y, wintergreen. Reminds me of wintergreen tea with cream and honey, or almost like I imagine wintergreen ice cream would be like. Lovely!

how bizarre that i didn't smell ANY of the mint in this at all? I got incense-y... cinnamon, sandalwood? Smells nice, but more of a candle scent for me than a perfume. I will definitely try burning it in my oil burner soon! :P

In the imp this smells... well, icky. I don't care for it. On, at first it smells very minty. Exactly like wintergreen mints that you eat. But that fades out pretty fast, and underneath it is some kind of resiny scent. This just isn't going to be something I will like. Which is too bad, because it's The World.

Sandalwood, lemon. Fresh. Has a ozone-y quality, getting me right in the sinuses. Whee. Started with an almost breath mint uber-freshness. Very interesting. Other reviews mention cinnamon, but I get none.

This one is truly unique--minty, earth, and woody all at once. It is a calming, grounding scent, but I'm not sure I'd use it as an everyday perfume. Still, I'm glad it's in my collection and that I've had the opportunity to experience it.

Minty, very wintergreen buttermint, in fact. A creamyness behind the mint, but overall cooling and fresh..and oh so very mint.

The World - My first impression is that it’s a strong, earthy mint, which I quickly decide is not mint after all, but eucalyptus. I’m not finding it pleasant at all. Underneath the eucalyptus is a decidedly woody note combined with the scent of freshly upturned earth. This whole blend reminds me of of a Sunday afternoon I spent wandering around Balboa Park in San Diego with a couple of my friends. At one point, we settled down on the soft grass between one of the tall eucalyptus trees, and lay there, looking up at the blue sky between the leaves of the tree. This scent smells like that day – laying on the grass and dirt underneath a eucalyptus tree. It definitely brings back a really wonderful memory of a favorite day from many years ago, but in the end, I have to say that I can’t wear this scent as a fragrance, and since I don’t work with the Tarot, I don’t really see that I would have much use for it.

Definitely wintergreen, with the cinnomon lurking underneath. After a while, I do indeed get the wood scent, though I'm not sure whether it's Sandalwood or vetiver, which to me often has a bitter, woody scent.

I'm not a wintergreen fan, but I got this for it's connection to the card. I will most likely use it for magickal/manifesting purposes and possibly a candle oil.

Weird wintergreen-patchouli combo. Or seeing the reviews, maybe I mistook vetiver for the earthier variety of patchouli. I'm not much of a mint fan, so this does nothing for me. Why is the world minty-fresh?

What an odd scent!

Hard citrusy candy meets mintish herb powder?

As it sits on my skin, I smell a faint woody something, not familiar, not entirely unpleasant. And here comes the hard candy again!

I don't dislike this, I don't think it is for me, however.

Edited by Esscentual

Wet: sweet minty herbals some similar to the Hanged Man

Dry: a citrusy note comes out and the mint retreats followed by it all becoming light and airy, less grounded than I would have expected given the listed notes. Not what I was hoping for from it.

Wet on the skin this is all wintergreen. As it dries, it stays wintergreen. Sniffing closely, I think I get a fleeing whiff of lemon.

This is such a strange scent. Like all BPAL, it morphs. Now, it’s a kinda warm smelling oil, like it’s red or something. It reminding me of cough syrup even though it doesn’t smell like that at all. There’s a foody smell there that’s doing it. Plus maybe a mineral smell too. This scent is so strange because in doing this review, I applied it, got confused, took a shower and am now smelling it for a second time. And it smells completely different from how it smelled a couple hours ago. I think I need to try this tomorrow with a fresh nose and see how it smells then.

Day 2, testing again: wet, first on, still wintergreen. It remains strongly wintergreen After it’s been on a while, I’m not getting the heavy red smell that I got last night, nor the foody associations. It’s herbal, rather astringent. Strange this one. It seems to change every time I wear it. I may need to get a bottle just for that.

Oh noes. Vetivert is in my BPAL, stinkin up my World...

(too much time in the Macro thread, yes)