Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

With my Sea of Tranquility/Anniversary/Yule order I found a loud little imp of Fruitcake in my order. Nowhere do I see mention of it, so this is my review!

First a label picture (one of 3 I put in the gallery):linkie since i can't insert photos from the gallery

With this label with a fruit studded fruitcake you can understand why the imp caught my eye!

In the bottle/imp: very almond-y. Not Almond like Eclipse, much more of the scent of Almond and sugar like you'd get with almond paste. A second sniff reveals the hint of red cherries. Yum.

On application: oh dear, lovely almond, plus the scent of spices that smells like a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg and just a wee wee bit of cloves. There is also a slight buttery hint like there should be with any form of fattening baked good!

On drying: A slight additional hint of apple.

Wrist (uncovered) vs elbow (in wool sweater and thus warmer comparision): elbow keeps the scent of cherries much better than my wrist after drying. I :heart:. Perhaps the next spot I think I'll try is between the chestal area.

imp: cherries, apples, almonds, spice... :P

wet: sweet and rich and warm. a very nice cake and fruit scent with a warm hint of spice. if i could order up a bottle or two right now, i would.

dry: the fruits are back, apples and cherries with something more earthy... fig perhaps? still that warm cake and spice scent. double yum.

I received a frimp of Fruit Cake with my order today also!

I've yet to try it on, but just smelling it, almond, buttery vanilla and cherries. Fairly strong and guarenteed to makes me hungry!

One of many lovely surprises in my Yule/Phoenix order! I don't think I've ever been so excited to receive fruitcake! :P

The first thing I smell is buttery, spicy cake drenched in booze. I haven't gotten along too well with the labs boozy notes so far, but this is delicious. After a few moments I get the least annoying cherry I've ever smelled, combined with some nuttiness (almond, methinks). Oh, you sneaky little rule-breaker, you! I was not expecting this to work on me :D

Now, where did I put that recipe for my Date and Nut Fruitcake?? :D

I'm very fond of fruitcake, and the Lab has captured it!

Candied cherries, cake, and marzipan, a whisper of spice and a kiss of brandy (most of the brandy having been used for medicinal purposes, I assume). I'll wear my imp's worth with pleasure!

Thank you for the delicious surprise, labbies!

I got my Yule order and immediately sank my proverbial teeth into Fruitcake.

Dear goodness, I wish real fruitcake was this nice! I get spices and a little bit of candied fruit and a lot of almond cake, the kind made with fresh almond flour and almonds and almond extract to amp up the flavor. It's divine and so wonderful that I'll treasure the giftie imp -- till it's all gone. :P

Oh YUM. What a lovely little surprise to get with my Tanuki order! :P

In the imp I smell warm spices, nuts and definitely candied cherries. Shortly after I dabbed some on, the spice-and-fruitiness merged with this wonderful warm cakey smell. It hasn't morphed much on the dry down, which suits me right down to my toes, it's so delicious!

In short, this reminds me of my mother's fruitcake, which is the only kind I'll eat. I'll be sure to wear this on Christmas! :D Many thanks to Beth and the Labbies! :D

Mmm this smells VERY yummy!

I smell almonds (but not the honeyed kind that is in Sheba), cherry/candy-like fruit, and a somewhat cakey smell. There is a boozey bite to it in the back. It's fantastic!

What a great surprise to have in my Tanuki package!!

On me, this smells *exactly* like a fruity pipe tobacco. It was a lovely surprise in my order, but it's not for me.

I also got a fruitcake with my order of Midwinter's Eve 2007! (I like the smell...but I'm not sure I like it on myself)

OMG - This really is fruitcake - and I'm one of the ones that really loves to eat fruitcake. This is boozy when I first open the imp and I can smell the candied cherries and some almond. There is a cake note, but it's deep and dark and heavy from the booze. I really love this and definitely will be wearing this throughout the holidays. Thank you, labbies, for the frimp!

Yay! So excited to get an imp of this in my order!

YUM! Smells much better to me than actual fruitcake! Sweet, buttery vanilla cake with a deliciously fruity undertone and a smattering of spiciness. The fruit notes smell like sugar plum and apple, with maybe a hint of cherry too. There is a christmasy, almost gingerbread quality to this blend; it reminds me of my mom's Dutch bread, which has a sweet cinnamon sugar crust.

This is just lovely and I would definitely buy a big 'ole bottle of this if it gets released!! :P

In the imp: Boozy fruitcake

Wet: Fruity with a similarity to Sugar Skull

Dry: Soft, warm fruit and cake.

Beth, please release Fruitcake! I would buy a VAT of this! :P

Fruitcake:

Vial~ OH yeah, spicy, lightly fruity and definitely brandy boozey. I might have to go have a drink when I am done, I am craving alcohol, all of a sudden. Where is the cognac?

wet~ I am picking up a slight cakey scent, but alot of brandy still, this is not as spicy as I remember it, but hey I was kind of out it at that will call. The fruit scent is no where to be found.

drying~ The cake scent has become more nuttier and the booze is beginning to settle down and the spice is beginning to pick back up. If fruitcake really tasted as good as this smelled I would eat it, but I have yet to have any that I cared for. The more I smell my wrist the more I am picking up the spice, damn this smells so good.

dry~ Fruitcake has become spice and booze. This scent has some incredible throw on me. I can smell the dab I put on my wrist as I type. There is a small bit of fruit in the scent but I only detect it in the background and I have to inhale the scent real deep to pick it up.

Final thoughts~ I really love Fruitcake. I can remember when I first tried it out, thinking it would not be a scent for me. I was wrong,every now and then Beth puts out a foody scent that really bowls me over. I would like to have a big bottle if it were ever to be available. On a scale of 1 to 5 this one is definitely a 5.

Edited by Sistinas

Thank you for the fruitcake, Beth and Labbies! :P

I can't do butter, cherry, or almond, and yet somehow this blend is yummy on me. A friend of mine who NEVER wears perfume grabbed the frimp in the car and smeared some on right away. It was lovely on her too! What a delightful surprise and a very clever idea.

This was a "sleeper" frimp in my Sea of Tranquility order. I would sooooo buy a bottle of this if released.

In the imp: booze and almonds.

Wet: fruity goodness (as noted, like Sugar Skulls), almonds, cherry...citron. Yes.

Drydown: sweet fruit and butter.

Awesome. Have I mentioned how much I loved this??

Fruitcake-

Hey! This showed up as a frimp with my Yule order, whee!

In Bottle: Mmm, almond and cherries and a little bit of citrus! So very like fruitcake you could swear there's a big block of it in front of you, whether you like that or not. :P

Wet: How does she do it? This is almond and CANDIED cherry, not just cherry. Amazing. It's very sweet-smelling.

Dry: Very sweet, almost cloying but, heck, so is fruitcake. It's so genuine! A nifty scent, one I'll likely use more in scent lockets but I'm so glad I got to try it!

Overall: More a scent locket/sniffer scent for me but nifty.

Umm damnit and thank you! ha.

I looovvee fruitcake and since i haven't been on the forums much, i assumed maybe it was a christmas scent i missed and rushed off to order a few bottles and low and behold it's an unreleased imp!

It is fabulous, fruity and boozy and just perfect. Frankly i don't care if this is fragrance oil or a miraculous concoction of whatever, i want a VAT of it NOW!!

Thank you lab for the frimp - i still want a bottle ;-)

i got a frimp of fruit cake with my order today!!! :P

fruitcake

wet in bottle: cherry cough syrup

wet on skin: cherry cough syrup drenched in rum or brandy, really really boozy

ten minutes: the almondy-ness starts to come out, the booze quiets down a bit. the cherries start smelling more like maraschinos.

drydown: all the notes start playing together, nicely. the spices start kicking in, mixing with the almond. cherries have diluted to a "general fruit" scent. very sugarry. the brandy smell is still there, but it's mixed in nicely as well. there seems to be a bit of a pine coming out now.

verdict:

this reminds me of christmas at my grandma's house when i was a little kid. it's like how you remember christmas as smelling, rather than how christmas really smells. i'm not entirely sure how i feel about this one, i may need to test it a few more times before making a final decision.

rating (1-10, 10 is best): 5.5

I don't think I ever tasted fruitcake until this year. My husband always wanted to try it, but he won't eat raisins, and pretty much all fruitcakes have raisins. So I finally combed my cookbooks and pieced together my own recipe--the quick variety, not the type that requires lots of stewing in brandy. And we found that all those old jokes about fruitcake are just silly, because if you use enough fruits and nuts, it's absolutely delicious. And then a week or so later, I got this frimp!

In the imp: Yep, this smells like fruitcake. First a blast of buttery cake, then sweet cherries, and then hints of tart citrus and pineapple. It smells delicious. I kind of wish I could drink it.

Wet: My skin is being taken over by juicy, unbelievably sweet candied fruits. The buttery cake is still there, but it's pushed way into the background by all the crazy fruits. They're just having a party. I also smell nuts, but they're not nearly as prominent as the fruits. Crazy fruits!

Dry: Once dry, the fruits become completely different. Instead of juicy, sugary candied fruits, they smell like real, fresh fruit. For some reason, I distinctly smell apple peel. I don't think apples (or apple peels) go in traditional fruitcake, do they? But there they are. It's a lovely scent, just a hint of buttery cake, a waft of booze (brandy, I think), and delicious fruits. Scrumptious! A wonderful and greatly appreciated holiday gift from the Lab. :P

At first this went kind of plastic-y on me and reminded me of Dana O'Shee. After only a few minutes that went away and I was left with a mild spice. No fruit though - just spice. Something about it reminds me of Misk U?? It's like a mildly spicy coffee smell. Still no fruit, but definitely foody.

Just got my imp of Fruitcake today with my order - and promptly splashed half the imp all over my shirt. So I am in excellent shape to review Fruitcake, and only Fruitcake. I doubt I'll be smelling much else until tomorrow! I get a boozy cherry-almond blend, with something smoky behind it - I don't know if that's the booziness or something a bit more spicy. That's the up-close smell - when I move the waft scent is simpler and just sweet. It's delicious, though- straight-up food scents don't always work well with me, but I love this. I can't believe I wasted half!!!! I would absolutely buy a bottle if this was released!

Well, it doesn't smell like my mom's fruitcake :P but it's as close as I've ever smelled in an artificial enclosure (bottle, etc) The candied fruit notes are very clear, with a whiff of boozy, and something like brown sugar. I don't wear foody notes but I will definitely keep this! Thanks to the Lab for the nifty Christmas gift. (waves)

Wet this is very sweet. Almond mixed with marichino cherries and a big dose of booze. Yes- this really smells like fruitcake in perfume form :D When first on- wow! Pure fruitcake. Candied fruit mixed with baking spices- mainly cinnamon I think. I can really smell those red, yellow and green candied fruit bits. This is much softer than in the wet stage. This becomes quite soft as it dries down and remains as mainly the smell of cake and spices (especially brown sugar). The fruit and boozy notes are far in the background now. This is a very cozy scent and is much more wearable than I thought it would be. What a lovely unexpected treat! I'll enjoy wearing this druing the holiday season. Thank you Labbies! :P

Is it wrong that I'm looking for reasons to place another order or two this week, simply in the hopes that I'll get more frimps of Fruitcake? :P ;)

Because, this? Is love. Fruity, sweet, boozy, thick, spicy love.

:D :) :D