Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Fury

Winter smells and scents, including the perfect winter forest

I am a newbie here, and I just received my first order of BPAL imps. One of my favorites was the Leanan Sidhe, but it is very spring. Does anyone have any recommendations for a sort of winter version of this scent? Ulalume and Death on a Pale Horse sounded like potential equivalents. Any other suggestions?

Just a heads up in case you hadn't realized, Ulalume is discontinued. Announcement here. You may still be able to pick it up on the forum sales.

I'm not very familiar with Leanan Sidhe, but just looking at the notes, I wonder if Ogygia might not be a good winter scent (with all the woody/violet notes) in the same vein? Sea air, kelp, and climbing vines, flame-singed cedarwood and juniper branches, cypress boughs, alder wood, violets, selino, parsley, glistritha, and white sage.

Sorry I can't really be more help! Can you identify the notes in Leanan Sidhe that you like best?? That might help others makes Winter recommendations. :)

I am a newbie here, and I just received my first order of BPAL imps. One of my favorites was the Leanan Sidhe, but it is very spring. Does anyone have any recommendations for a sort of winter version of this scent? Ulalume and Death on a Pale Horse sounded like potential equivalents. Any other suggestions?

I wonder if http://www.bpal.org/topic/25528-kumari-kandam/would work for you. a little bit snowy, a little bit floral, a little bit earthy. it was one of my first ever full bottle bpals.

Just a heads up in case you hadn't realized, Ulalume is discontinued. Announcement here. You may still be able to pick it up on the forum sales.

I'm not very familiar with Leanan Sidhe, but just looking at the notes, I wonder if Ogygia might not be a good winter scent (with all the woody/violet notes) in the same vein? Sea air, kelp, and climbing vines, flame-singed cedarwood and juniper branches, cypress boughs, alder wood, violets, selino, parsley, glistritha, and white sage.

Sorry I can't really be more help! Can you identify the notes in Leanan Sidhe that you like best?? That might help others makes Winter recommendations. :)

Thank you for the recommendation and heads up ! I am still in awe of the scents and notes that Beth combines to create what she does! As for specific notes, I like the white flowers of Leanan Sidhe, and the herbiness. In fact, I like the herbiness so much that I want to try herbier scents! The Ogygia sounds wintery, but woodsy and herbsy with a touch of floral. Added! :D

I wonder if http://www.bpal.org/topic/25528-kumari-kandam/would work for you. a little bit snowy, a little bit floral, a little bit earthy. it was one of my first ever full bottle bpals.

Thanks! I am surprised by how much I enjoy the touch of decay in scents. It's beautifully somber in a sense. Added to the list, as well!

Snow White has strangely the same vibe to me, it's like a winter Leanan Sidhe, which is one of my favorite summer perfumes.

If you are looking for more "outdoors" you might try Skadi, or any of the "snowy" moons. The Garden in Winter also has that "outdoors " thing going on.

A really good readily available one is Neil Gaman's The Snowglobe.

Edited by stellamaris

Snow White has strangely the same vibe to me, it's like a winter Leanan Sidhe, which is one of my favorite summer perfumes.

If you are looking for more "outdoors" you might try Skadi, or any of the "snowy" moons. The Garden in Winter also has that "outdoors " thing going on.

I went to look these up and already had signed up for the waitlist for many of them, ha! The Garden in Winter sounds particularly lovely, and the quote is L.M. Montgomery, one of my favorite authors.

Well my favorite Winter scents, as in smells like Winter are these:

Black Ice

Talvikuu

The Carpathian mountains

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow

Hunger Moon

Ice (Kubuki series)

Snow Flakes

The Darkling Thrush

To get snow in a forest, I'd layer one of the snow and ice scents with forest scents (Andyl nailed my top favorites for forest scents, Jersey Devil, Black Forest, or Ranger), unless of course you can actually get some Carpathian mountains, which already combined snow + forest, beautifully.

Edited by sprout

I am totally in love with Winter scents. Especially anything that brings me back to memories of Christmas as a Child, or my time living in the Mountains.

I love the smell of Christmas Tree farms. The ones back in WA state where I lived smelled amazing. All those lush dark Fir's!

I really really realllllly need Talvikuu to be brought back...I love it so much. My bottle is really low and should be all used up by the end of December-January. :(

I am really looking forward to this year's Yule collection. Saving as much money as possible hehe.

My perfect BPAL winter forest? The Snow Storm, hands down. It's a fresh, pure evergreen forest buried in virgin snow, but warmed by a cool morning sun. Yule (only tested the 2010 version) is that same forest, but in the absolute depth of winter night, locked in frigid ice and frost. Yule has a more herbal touch than Snow Storm, maybe that's why it's colder and drier.

The Carpathian Mountains is also a beautiful alpine forest, it gives me an impression of being high-altitude and cold, but not necessarily wintry.

The Snow Storm sounds amazing. I would LOVE to get my hands on that one.

Also The Waltz of The Snowflakes. Gah. Need!

There's Fern Frost/Fern Forest; read reviews here:

http://www.bpal.org/topic/71465-fern-frost/?hl=fern+forest

This was an imp from the Post for Yule 2010. I love it and am still hoping for it to return in 5 ml bottles! :)

I saw someone mentioned The Jersey Devil and I totally second that. It smells like a snowy pine forest and has a festive hint of cranberry!

I saw someone mentioned The Jersey Devil and I totally second that. It smells like a snowy pine forest and has a festive hint of cranberry!

So I got a hold of Snow White from this year's Yules, and I have tried it out a few times, but each time, it just ends up too, too sweet on me. It has that etheral, swirling snow quality - as in I don't necessarily smell it on my wrist, but smell it lingering around me which is really cool, but ultimately it just ends up getting sweeter and sweeter and sweeter till I can't stand it. Sigh. Rose Red worked great as a winter rose, but not quite the winter scent I am looking for.

I got Jersey Devil and it is definitely a festive winter scent to me! I love the snowy pine with the berry. It's not quite the snow scent I am looking for, but definitely meets my winter woods scent. Thanks for the rec!

Ded Moroz you guys! I've not been pursuing BPAL long enough to be familiar with a whole lot of past scents mentioned here and can't make good comparisons or anything, but for me, Ded Moroz is the epitome of "a winter forest". And since it's included in the currently available Yules I thought it was worth mentioning here.

(Edited to fix grammar error)

Edited by The Forest Floor