Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Autumn Scents - recommend the ones you love

Time to bump this thread up again since the weather is getting cooler (well, it is here anyway).

I think I'll be reaching for Miller vs. California and The Sea Rat this autumn. Since they both came out last winter I haven't yet tested them as autumn scents, but I think they'll hold up well. They're both dark but slightly sweet, and very sexy!

Definitely Samhain '08, The Shattered Pumpkin, Pumpkin IV and V '08, and the big one: Fearful Pleasure! They all smell so awesome after aging a year. I can't wait to to get the Halloweenies from this year.

I looooove my Samhain '08. And Chrysanthemum Moon. I have a decant of Fearful Pleasure too. I can't wait to start wearing those again - but with temps still in the 90s-100s, it will be awhile, I'm guessing ;)

I will be breaking out the Snake Oil again during the day, but I'm so looking forward to Pumpkin 1 (w almond and musk). Ooooh....

I'm definitely looking forward to trying October, and I think Boadicca will make a nice fall scent, too. In the GC I like Incantation, for the burnt wood note.

I've got my Samhain 07 and Dia De Los Muertos 07 for autumn days. I just wish Samhain would calm down on me and not make me endure an hour of pine needles before going to the yummy apple side.

Cinnimon is a note that will be making its appearence again very soon: Sin and Chimera are on the top of the list.

I remember how I wanted the Death of Autumn to be my ultimate fall scent and it ended up smelling just too chared on me. Le sigh.

Edited by lookingglass

I more or less live in White Rabbit during the fall.

I'm still searching for the perfect BPAL reflection of my conception of autumn, which is my favorite season. I had high hopes for October (my favorite month), but it was all bright and clean and citrusy and green on me... not autumnal at all. This year I am salivating over the thought of Lambs-Wool, but I haven't tried it yet.

Its still in the high 90's here, but I'm ready to crack out my Punkie Night and Pumpkin Queen. Also, my Renfest staples, Madame Moriarty layered with Snake Charmer :P .

I more or less live in White Rabbit during the fall.

I wear White Rabbit a lot in the fall :) I think it's becasue I wore it to the big State Fair ("The Big E") the first year I tried it and just associate it with all things autumn ever since.

Samhain (of course) is my other favorite fall scent. I start wearing that towards the end of October though.

I tink Zenobia is going to be my early autumn scent this year....or anything with a lot of clove in it like Clemence. :)

I looooove my Fearful Pleasure. There isn't much in the way of autumn here though - it hits the 90s through September, and it's November or December before I really even have to start wearing a light jacket. Won't stop me from my smoky appley goodness though.

There isn't much in the way of autumn here though - it hits the 90s through September, and it's November or December before I really even have to start wearing a light jacket.

The same is true where I live. :( I desperately miss autumn in the Midwest... there's just nothing like the look, feel, and scent of dry, crackling twigs underfoot, a crisp breeze blowing through the fiery red and glowing yellow maple leaves and brown oak leaves... the gentle sun during the day softly illuminating the rolling hills and great open sky, the hint of snow in the air at night... aaahhh... :wub2:

Still hoping for a BPAL that could capture that for me, so I always keep an eye on this thread and read the Halloweenie scent descriptions with great interest and crossing of fingers. :)

Finding a scent for Fall has been difficult because I don't like foodie things and when I've tried the Pumpkins in the past, they were too much. I'll be watching for other GC recommendations.

In the past I did wear Lampades, but for some reason it doesn't fit for me now. I'm going to check out White Rabbit though. My difficulty could aslo be that I'm really a summer person and my heart is still loving June & July.

I am really loving the retail-only salon Autumn right now. For me, it's the perfect autumn scent!

I really like this one, too! It doesn't get nearly as much love as it deserves, IMO. Smoky leaves & slightly fruity roses...

My other Autumn faves are Samhain (especially '05), Devil's Night, Harvest Moon '05, Pumpkin Queen, Shub-Niggurath & Pumpkin #1 (05/06 apples & mulling spices). I love spicy apples so I'm really looking forward to trying Lamb's Wool & Pomona.

To Autumn is another gorgeous fall one. I also really like Tintagel for fall going into winter. Definitely Lambs Wool now that I have that one too.

I adore the BPAL dry/dead leaves scent so anything in that group - the top of which is my beloved The Death of Autumn - is just fabbo in autumn! Though where I am I'm coming into spring.

Until two days ago it was ridiculously hot here (over 30, and usually in Turin you can smell Autumn in the air in the second half of August) but now it's cooler and breezy so I've taken out my Chant D'Automne to celebrate. Layered with a tiny bit of apple oil it was pure :wub2:

Other fall favs are Fearful Pleasure (my first BPAL bottle! *cuddles*), Mama-Ji, and Morgause -and I can't wait for my bottle of Lambs Wool and my decant of Shattered Pumpkin to arrive.

L'Autunno was a spicy candle fail on me (I'm starting to think I amp patchouli, see the epic Mme Moriarty fail. Not even ageing helped) which makes me a bit worried about Samhain, but I heard so much about it that I had to order a decant.

I'd like to try some more autumn scents -something a bit different from my usual apple+smoke combo/spicy scents- I was tinking something with soil or leaves. An outdoorsy scent. Or maybe a warm library scent? I have Dee, and I like it, but it's a bit too sweet for my taste.

Any suggestions?

Edited by inkaddict

I'd like to try some more autumn scents -something a bit different from my usual apple+smoke combo/spicy scents- I was tinking something with soil or leaves. An outdoorsy scent. Or maybe a warm library scent? I have Dee, and I like it, but it's a bit too sweet for my taste.

Any suggestions?

Inkaddict - You might want to check out these threads:

Autumn/Lilac/Library-y Recommendations

Old books... Books, paper, libraries, Library, book and paper BPAL scents

Forest and Woods Scents (with & without evergreens)

I want to smell like dirt! Dirt, Earth, Soil recommendations

The most natural or lifelike scents?, forest, earth, rain, water, grass, moss and so on...

For a new take on autumn scents, maybe try:

A Blade of Grass
(2008 LE) - Autumn leaves scattered among blades of grass.

October
(2007 LE) - Dry, cold autumn wind. A rustle of red leaves, a touch of smoke and sap in the air.

Ulalume
(Bewitching Brews) - Starry white lilies lend an eerie brightness to the deep black wooded scents of cypress and oak, layered with a touch of crushed dried leaves and the faintest aquatic note.

For the library scent, I'd suggest:

Perversion
(Ars Amatoria) - Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka.

(I think of this as my "tweed" scent - as in, if tweed had a scent, it would smell like this... despite the sexed up name, it reads as library to me.)

Aziraphale
(Good Omens) - Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord.

(I think it has a hint of library from the "dusty Bible accord".)

The Buggre Alle This Bible
(Good Omens) - Crumbling paper and ancient cracked leather with a touch of tobacco leaf and incense.

Oh, thank you so much for the links!

I love the idea of a "tweed" acent, all warm and cuddly. I'm a bit worried about the booze, is it strong in Perversion or just in the background?

I forgot about the Buggre Alle Bible, that one has been in my to-try list for a bit. Maybe it's time to find a decant
:D

Oh, thank you so much for the links!

I love the idea of a "tweed" acent, all warm and cuddly. I'm a bit worried about the booze, is it strong in Perversion or just in the background?

Very welcome! On me, the tobacco note in Perversion is strongest; it smells just like coconut pipe tobacco. I have noticed some batch variations with it, however. I've gotten imps directly from the Lab that were very coconutty (which I guess might be the rum?) and others from the Lab that only had a hint of coconut and that were more straight-up pipe tobacco. If you find it's too sweet and boozy initially, maybe try another imp from a different batch. I don't really get any leather or wine, but other folks do. My skins tends to really mute down the Lab's leather notes, though.

I love my imp of Queen Alice (warm, spicy apples and a hint of black ink and wine on me). I'm excited to order my bottles of Lambs-Wool and Devil's Night!

I usually amp booze, but if it's in the background it should work...to be honest you had me at "tweed" scent :lol:

...and now this moon (Falling Leaf! Sometimes it feels like they can read minds at the lab) will have a couple of imps to keep her compay on the long journay to Italy!

Very welcome! On me, the tobacco note in Perversion is strongest; it smells just like coconut pipe tobacco. I have noticed some batch variations with it, however. I've gotten imps directly from the Lab that were very coconutty (which I guess might be the rum?) and others from the Lab that only had a hint of coconut and that were more straight-up pipe tobacco. If you find it's too sweet and boozy initially, maybe try another imp from a different batch. I don't really get any leather or wine, but other folks do. My skins tends to really mute down the Lab's leather notes, though.