Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
any_old_actress

Autumn Scents - recommend the ones you love

I just put The Hesperides in my scent locket and I have kept it smelling strong and beautiful all day yesterday and today. It really does well there.

Mabon is an autumn scent, though, at this point, I'd probably have to kill someone for a bottle. *glomps her imp protectively*

Mabon is an autumn scent, though, at this point, I'd probably have to kill someone for a bottle. *glomps her imp protectively*

I second Mabon :D

Also, KoC and QoC :P I adore them, but I just feel like they're too rich and heavy for July :D

I'd like to cast my vote in for Hexennacht, even if it does honor a non-autumnal day. :D

Very similar to Samhain and so wonderfully "autumn" smelling. :P

I'd like to cast my vote in for Hexennacht, even if it does honor a non-autumnal day. :D

Very similar to Samhain and so wonderfully "autumn" smelling. :P

I actually like Hexennacht *better* than Samhain...Samhain has somehow become all ashy on me... :D

Something about Tintagel says autumn to me. I love it, and want to wear it now, but it is too rich and warm for hot summer days. But I think it would go perfectly with cool, crisp autumn, grey skies, leaves turning.

Although I don't want school to start yet, I can't wait for autumn for the sole reason that the vast majority of my scents scream AUTUMN and are way too heavy for summer. I love QoC and KoC but they're way too heavy to wear now :D Red Moon and Hexennacht are great for summer, but more summer evenings than during the day =/ The only bottles I have that are summer-appropriate are Juliet (which I wear often) and some rare scents that I ration like mad.

I can't wait to get my bottle of Yemaya :P

I have mixed feelings about autumn... it used to be my favorite season, but as I've grown older, seasonal affective disorder reared its ugly head and I'm miserable without sunlight. But, there are still good things to be associated with the autumn months - I like warm, spicy and smokey scents like:

Mabon - Fruity, but not too sweet

Samhain - as long as it's not one of the utterly random days that my chemistry plays up the fir, it's deep spicy goodness

Carnal - warm spiced fig with the tang of orange

Chimera - warm cinnamon cookies!

Three Witches - the ultimate spice scent

For late-summer-stretching-into-fall, I like The Scarecrow (for those scorching dry days that I love - makes me think of hot wind through fields) and The Hesperides (for still warm evenings, eating ripe apples as the day finally cools off).

Although I really, really wanted to love Jack - I was hoping for something that smelled like pumpkin bread - it was too rich and buttery-sweet for my chemistry - but I hear it's wonderful on lots of folks.

I'd just layer Three Witches over anything :P

Tintagel is not a scent for me, but it's wonderfully evocative and makes me LONG for the Arthurian collection...please oh please let it come soon...:D...

Are there any notable brooding autumnal scents?

Like... heavy, melancholic, forboding, sinister, it's all-hallows-eve-and-i'm-a-succubus-on-the-prowl-and-risen-from-the-grave type deals?

I like the wet woods of Grandmother of Ghosts, so I'm putting bets on Hamadryad, Ouija and hopefully something dirt-ish to come out of Zombi - it's all compensation for Jack being too happy (though I love the little pumpkin man) and Samhain hates me - turning my skin into something that smells like a changing table for a baby.

I need dark without being masculine, and feral without being as animalistic (Haunted's got a distinct beastial side to it that I love - but I want to go a step beyond that), but still feel like I'm in a dark forest with wet leaves and lichens and mossy rocks and such.

Does it exist? (I wouldn't doubt it if several did.)

Oooh, I like Jack. I also have to say that for some reason Djinn makes me feel very cool-nights-in-dark-woods-y. :D

The again, I rarely wear scents based on seasons - instead I wear them based on feel, or how I WANT to feel. :P

......like I'm in a dark forest with wet leaves and lichens and mossy rocks and such.

Yggdrasil and Black Forest are good bets, and if you have a little Hexennacht or Hearth to layer with them, there's your autumn woods....

Medici, I have to second the Black Forest (especially if you like Haunted) and Hexennacht, or even trying them layered. They are both gorgeous.

I was under the impression that Hexennacht was heavy on the pine/fir? (I've always assumed that plops it into the 'winter forest' category instead of 'fall forest' :P)

Black Forest, however, I will happily dig for. (I'm assuming that's an LE as well?)

Edited by Medici

On me, Hexennacht is more like summer campfires. I get a bit of fir needles at first but they go up in smoke :P . You're in luck, Black Forest is a catalog scent :D .

I was under the impression that Hexennacht was heavy on the pine/fir? (I've always assumed that plops it into the 'winter forest' category instead of 'fall forest' :P)

Well, I'm in northern California, where the forest always smells piney! It's the woodsmoke in Hexennacht that makes me think of autumn, when people start to use their fireplaces and woodstoves again. And, you know, the witchy thing. :D

Several of the scents I'm looking at for Fall are reviewed as having an apple-cinnamon or cider quality to them: Block Buster, Verdandi, Hesperides, Jack. Can someone who's tried them tell me the distinctions between them? Which one's most Autumn-y? I don't want to order too many things that smell the same.

Several of the scents I'm looking at for Fall are reviewed as having an apple-cinnamon or cider quality to them: Block Buster, Verdandi, Hesperides, Jack.  Can someone who's tried them tell me the distinctions between them?  Which one's most Autumn-y? I don't want to order too many things that smell the same.

Well, I'm not sure I think that Block Buster is cidery or appley at all. On me it's a soft honey/tea-like floral. It's lovely, though.

Jack is probably the most typically "potpourri" (although I hate to use that word!) like - when you think of spicy fall scents, Jack is that.

The Hesperides is like a crisp golden apple, fresh from the tree. In fact, it has a light woody background, so to me it actually smells like an apple on a tree. It's really beautiful. My favorite of the bunch.

On me the apple in Verdandi isn't really strong, it just comes through as a sort of sweetness. It's kind of an herbally scent.

So I think The Hesperides and Jack are probably the most autumny!

These are the ones I think of regarding Autumn:

Jack

Grog

Incantation

The Hesperides

Haunted

Aglaea

Miskatonic University

Perversion

Florence

Morocco

I'll Add March Hare to the mix. The clove really pulls in the warm autumn feeling.

And, like clover, I didn't get apple cider from Block Buster...but I can sort of see how they have similar feelings.

I've been wondering about this for the past few days, and I'm dying to try some Samhain, Hexxennacht or some Harvest Moon. I'd also love to try the Queen and King of Aces.

I'm For sure ordering:

Jack (because I love pumpkin and I want it before thanksgiving to make absolute sure it'll work)

Yggdrasil (sounds ashy and woody and herby, great for leaf-burning autumn)

Tintagel (wine and wood and floral, Oh my! Too luscious to pass up)

Ulalume (described a few times and the perfect autumn scent.)

Don't know about:

Dublin or Leanan Sidhe?

Nosferatu?

Fenris Wolf?

La Bella Donna Della Mia Mente or Vinland?

Wanted Loup Garou but sounded too pine and that makes me gag, so Dublin looks like a milder LG. Leanan Sidhe sounds light and woody but maybe more spring than autumn.

Nosferatu sounds decadent but not specifically cold or crisp or autumnal, but still delicious sounding.

Fenris Wolf might be too masculine for me to wear, but it does sound like a heavenly woodsy scent.

I want a more fruity or floral scent, too. La Bella... sounds very juicy and floral but backed by a colder note. Vinland sounds fruity and crisp. Can't choose from the two.

I think I'll eventually figure something out by the time my latest order arrives, but I would appreciate a little insight between La Bella and Vinland or Dublin and Leanan Sidhe. I can NOT wait for September, even if it means going back to school!