Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Poenari

Goblin

When I first got into bpal a year ago I gave Goblin a hard pass. This is the "scary" form of patchouli -- the pungent, raw, dirty-herbal sort that most people think of as hippie stench. Since then I've gotten a chance to encounter different types of patchouli through all the masterful ways it is handled by the lab, and I have come full circle back to Goblin. And I like it now, much more than I did when we first met. 

Make no mistake, this is gnarly patch. But the addition of the benzoin and coconut really help take the edge off it and sweeten the bitterness just enough so it becomes something different. To me, anyway.

Having finally gotten a chance to try (and own) Banshee Beat, the comparisons to Goblin are accurate. In fact, layering Goblin with vanilla-heavy blends (Snake Oil, O) even further play up the similarities and the juxtaposition of the dirty and the creamy. I find that I like it even more layered this way.

This is a hippie smell, yes. But maybe more of an urban-bohemian hippie than muddy hippie. It's ugly, but pretty. I need to be in the right mood to wear it, surely, but that mood does strike now and then.

In the imp, Goblin is wonderful. It's the exact right kind of coconut, sweet, but not too sweet. The patchouli is strong and earthy, which I love. On my skin, it's just as great for the first twenty minutes or so, then it unfortunately turns plasticky, and then to pencil shavings. 

Disappointing, but I'll try layering it with other scents, or try it on my clothes or the ends of my hair rather than my skin. Maybe letting it age some more will help, even though my little imp is already about 3 months old. I really do love the scent and am determined to make it work somehow!

I put this on without checking the notes. My first impressions were of a masculine leaning gourmand, something almost chocolatey (which I thought was vetiver). Turns out the coconut and benzoin slant it kind of foodie for a while. This is not a sunscreen coconut. I would have never thought to pair coconut and patchouli, but it works. The patch eventually dominates after several hours. It’s a very ripe patchouli too.  Naturally longevity is good, as far as the patchouli goes. Strong throw; you wouldn’t want to slather this in close quarters. It's a no brainer for patchouli lovers and fans of sweet, dark, earthy scents.

This is earthy gorgeousness; it reminds me of something between Death Cap and Banshee Beat/Revenant Rhythm. I wouldn't have thought I'd be a gnarly patch person, but I love it combined with the coconut and sweet benzoin. Definitely one of the many jewels from the GC. It will be fun to wear on days when I want to feel a bit feral. :)

A goblin has stolen your cake, and brought it deep into an ancient forest that is shaded and cool and earthy and full of gnarled roots.

This is a beautifully sweet patchouli. I usually find patch to be overly aggressive, but this is delicate and light while retaining patchouli’s long throw and unmistakable personality. Make no mistake, I still smell like a hippie, but a hippie that’s had a long bath and is now wearing an elegantly effortless silk shift dress to a cocktail party. 

The black coconut adds a creamy smoothness without being identifiable as coconut, and the benzoin brings sweetness and a glimpse of resin now and then. 

Edited by Estamets

Until this morning, I thought I didn't like Goblin. But I woke up wanting to wear it. After a few wand-swipes, I discovered a had finished the imp.

If you asked me, I would say I find Goblin too sweet and simple. However, I enjoy wearing it. The patchouli is pleasantly dirty and dusty. The coconut, though sweet, brings to mind coconut flesh more than piña colada. I don't think the sweetness comes from the coconut; it has the thick syrup sweetness of BPAL's benzoin note. That sweetness initially rubs me the wrong way, but it always gets its claws in me anyway.

I'm a fan. Apparently.

Have I never reviewed Goblin?  It's the closest the GC comes to a single-note patchouli.  Gnarly?  Maybe.  Rich and beautiful, yes, and sweetened and softened slightly by the benzoin and the black coconut, which reads more like coconut husk on me.  A joy for patch lovers.