Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
walshbc111

Carnaval Diabolique recommendations

Gennivre; Hyson tea leaf, pale mint, sugar cane, orange blossom, lemongrass, and honey.

Xanthe: Guava, orange peel, white pepper, spun sugar and apple blossom.

Candy butcher: Dark chocolate with a heavy cream undertone.

Theodosius: Earl Grey tea leaves, a white fougere, jasmine leaf, pearlescent white musk, and vanilla bean.

Zarita: white carnation, iris, orange blossom, and sugared cream.

Agrat-bat-mahlaht Amber, cream accord, white honey, apple blossom, skin musk, caramel, and teak.

Daiyu: Moroccan jasmine, chrysanthemum, tea leaf, white musk, and acai berry.

Eisheth Zenunim: Honey, ambergris, neroli, white peach, patchouli, and cocoa absolute.

Gwyneth Rose otto, tonka, orchid, Calla lily, skin musk, coconut, and Spanish sage.

Torture Queen. White amber, vanilla musk, white tea, ambergris, gardenia, and chrome.

Xanthe smells like guava bubblegum with pepper.

Zarita smells a lot like one of the Pumpkins to me.

Daiyu smells a LOT like Bordello but with a twist. Bordello is more pipe smoke, while Daiyu is more fruity.

Torture Queen is very main stream perfume, but I love it.

I' ll be sticking my nose in this onbe, cause I have the same problem! :D

I can not really compare a lot though, I m still very new :P

but more are coming this way so.. :D

I'll try to help out a little when they arrive!

The Candybutcher: is very feminie and seductive, I find this very different from Bliss

it's more grown up and feminine and it's heavy chcolate.. DARK chocolat :D

Edited by lunaticana

Eisheth Zenunim has a very similar vibe to Les Bijoux, though with neroli and chocolate added to the mix. I love em both ;p

I found Daiyu alot sweeter than Bordello.

Gwenyth turns out mostly rose (at least on me), but is a delicious rose. Though I don't think its as uber unique as the notes suggest once it gets on the skin.

Agrat bat malaht turns a dirty caramel. Red lantern is coming in a few months, though they aren't quite the same, its a caramel fix.

I don't know quite what the torture queen smells like, but its delicious. I don't know if its worth stocking up on, because my bottle from may seems to be getting alot less intense. It might just be mine though, but its definitely a great perfume.

Edited by tativa

Hi there. I've been in BPAL land for about six months now, and since the CD is limited, I really want to try some, but I have no idea where to start. I know that most of the Snake Pit is kind of out (I'm still aging my first bottle of Snake Oil and I'm not sure if I'd like fresh from the lab Snake Pits, because lab-fresh SO is much too incensey for my tastes). My absolute favorite scents are: Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, Eden, Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal, Hetairae, Whitechapel and Dee. Strawberry notes really *don't* work on me, and neither does red musk. I prefer sweeter, fresher, younger scents. Any reccs from the CD based on what I like?

Gennivre sounds like she'd be up your alley: Hyson tea leaf, pale mint, sugar cane, orange blossom, lemongrass, and honey.

I'm contemplating either Agrat or Ashlultum. I really love all the notes in Agrat, and I know that all the notes in that blend work on me, but the tobacco/coconut/vanilla tea in Ashlultum is calling to me too. And I only want to get one bottle. Decisions, decisions....

I haven't tried a whole lot of the CD myself, but I'd suggest The Illustrated Woman : Skin musk, smoky vanilla, pine pitch, patchouli, Indian resins, golden honey, and tobacco. It's similar to Dee in ways, but sweeter and more feminine. And the pine just makes it feel fresh (on me at least XD) and isn't pinesol or anything.

But between Agrat and Ashlultum (neither of which I've tried yet :cry2: ) I'd go with Ashlultum, because of the Tonka. Which is what Dee has in it, and is, in my little humble opinion, what makes dee incredible XD. That vanilla sweet spiceyness on the dry down. Mm.

What, no love for Daiyu? She's so lovely & fresh but with more heft to her than Gennivre...

I've got all the fresh scents I could ever need from the GC: Embalming Fluid, Whitechapel, The Ghost (which says "fresh summer floral" on my skin). However, Midnight on the Midway sounds really interesting too. And I'm worried that Agrat would be too sweet on me, what with the caramel being dominant in some reviews. I know I tend to amp sweet things anyway, but... argh. :D

Resurrecting this thread looking for suggestions...

I would dearly love to pick up a CD blend or two, but I can't afford more than that one or two...I've discovered I like wood and spice notes, amber, and vanilla and honey seem to play nice on my skin. Jasmine and patchouli are serious death notes; I don't really do many florals well in general either. With that preface, the short list:

Saw-Scaled Viper

Habu

Aeronwen

Inez

Gennivre and Marcilla sound really interesting too, but I think with the still cold weather here I'm leaning towards warmer scents.

I would dearly love to pick up a CD blend or two, but I can't afford more than that one or two...I've discovered I like wood and spice notes, amber, and vanilla and honey seem to play nice on my skin. Jasmine and patchouli are serious death notes; I don't really do many florals well in general either. With that preface, the short list:

Saw-Scaled Viper

Habu

Aeronwen

Inez

Gennivre and Marcilla sound really interesting too, but I think with the still cold weather here I'm leaning towards warmer scents.

Saw-Scaled Viper was EXTREMELY spicy on me. I couldn't even wear it, and I'm rather fond of spicy scents. So a word of caution there.

I'm going to recommend Asp Viper but only if you like almond. It's pretty much a warm smoky almond snake oil type scent. You mentioned you like honey and amber and that combination is very warm and smooth to my nose so you might like Asp Viper, but it's just a thought though! I'm just going by the feel of scents here.

Habu, Aeronwen, and Inez sound like good choices though, but I can't say I've tried any of them!

Saw-Scaled Viper

Habu

Aeronwen

Inez

Inez is a gently spicy vanilla amber. It gets compared to Morocco all the time - it has the same feel, but is deeper & smoother.

Habu is Asian woods & some fruit. It can be kinda sharp at first, but it settles down eventually. I don't really think of it as a "wood" scent.

Saw Scaled Viper is cinnamon with *maybe* other sweeter spices. It sweetens as it ages. They all age beautifully.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'm going to go ahead and spring for a bottle of Inez and then lurk about the sales posts and see what decants I can snag to try the rest. :D

Addict? What, me?! Never! ;)

Hello lovelies!! I had the fortune of trying some carnival scents through some lovely forumites and i think im hooked! my problem is that its soo big i dont know what to try next. So far my favorite has been the illustrated woman. i love the dry down stage how its creamy vanilla. I also enjoyed cytherea and faiza. I like foody scents too and was thinking about trying boomslang...but the snake oil scares me. I can only wear it after its set for a few months. :eek: my favorite scent list includes:

Bastet

Les Bijoux

Enchanted Florist

two five and seven

All help would be MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated :wub2:

Hello lovelies!! I had the fortune of trying some carnival scents through some lovely forumites and i think im hooked! my problem is that its soo big i dont know what to try next. So far my favorite has been the illustrated woman. i love the dry down stage how its creamy vanilla. I also enjoyed cytherea and faiza. I like foody scents too and was thinking about trying boomslang...but the snake oil scares me. I can only wear it after its set for a few months. :eek: my favorite scent list includes:

Bastet

Les Bijoux

Enchanted Florist

two five and seven

If you like Bastet then you must try Asp Viper! On me it is pretty much a lighter Bastet plus Snake Oil which is DIVINE. I'm actually wearing both right now because I wanted to compare them. Bastet is definitely more warm and comforting almond on me, Asp Viper gives it a bit of an edge. It isn't quite as sweet but has a slight smokiness I associate with Snake Oil on my skin. It's absolutely delicious!

If you're scared of Snake Oil I would try getting a decant of Asp Viper off the forums. I'm sure someone is selling it!

Well if you were thinking about trying Boomslang (which I've heard is predominantly cocoa) may be you should give Wulric, the Wolfman a go? On me it's mainly cocoa and vetiver (if you're afraid of vetiver DON'T BE because in this blend it's lovely and coming from a vetiver despiser that's definitely saying something). It's not foody per se, but definitely amazing!

I've only tried a handful of the CDs myself so I'm sorry I couldn't help as much! I actually have some more CD decants coming to me soon though!

Bastet

Les Bijoux

Enchanted Florist

two five and seven

I personally don't like Snake Oil at all (aged or fresh, it smells awful on me), and I love several of the Snake Pit blends. Boomslang is one of my favorite scents ever, and it's intensely chocolate-y and exotic smelling.

If you like vanilla and sweet/foodie scents, I'd definitely recommend trying Inez if you haven't already. It's sweet vanilla and gorgeous, warm amber and woods on my skin.

THANKS for all the great replies!! So last night i decided to be brave and try snake oil again since i hear it gets better with age and lo and behold it's not dirty playdough!!! AND its pretty nice :joy: So im completly stoked now about trying the snake pits. and now Wulric. You guys rock.

Dionysia maybe? Faith? Faiza...Midnight on the Midway ... Definitely Moriarty.Snakepits: I personally love Boomslang. Also consider Temple Viper, Habu, Australian Copperhead, Coral Snake and Saw-Scaled Viper