Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
mob_psychology

What should I expect at Will-Call?

I'm a BPAL newbie and I plan on attending the Pink Moon will-call... can anyone tell me what to expect? It sounds exciting but I have no idea what goes on at these events, nor do I know anyone on the forum. Will it be crowded? Are people friendly? Neither of the girlfriends I'm bringing have even heard of BPAL; will it still be fun for them? I'd appreciate any feedback! :P

I'm a BPAL newbie and I plan on attending the Pink Moon will-call... can anyone tell me what to expect? It sounds exciting but I have no idea what goes on at these events, nor do I know anyone on the forum. Will it be crowded? Are people friendly? Neither of the girlfriends I'm bringing have even heard of BPAL; will it still be fun for them? I'd appreciate any feedback! :P

It's a lot of fun, but it's usually pretty crowded. Lots of people in a small area all trying to get to the same stuff. Everyone is really friendly, and I always have a blast, but it might be a little overwhelming for friends who're not familiar with BPAL and don't know what to expect. :D

I'm a BPAL newbie and I plan on attending the Pink Moon will-call... can anyone tell me what to expect? It sounds exciting but I have no idea what goes on at these events, nor do I know anyone on the forum. Will it be crowded? Are people friendly? Neither of the girlfriends I'm bringing have even heard of BPAL; will it still be fun for them? I'd appreciate any feedback! :D

It's okay not to know people. We'll introduce ourselves and be sniffing wrists in no time. It's scary...NO! It isn't! It's actually a lot of fun. :D

What actually goes on is significantly less salacious than I made it sound previously. It can even be interpreted as rather formalized. A bunch of people show up at the physical location for BPAL, occasionally in theme-clothing, occasionally not. It's perfectly okay NOT to "dress" for a themed event, (I've gone to several in rather grubby civies actually and had a wonderful time nonetheless) but it's more fun if you do.

WILLCALL IS NOT A MEETNSNIFF.

There is not usually any food, although occasionally someone brings a treat to share (or something like candy is provided at Halloween by the lab -- thank you!). Remember, we're in someone's shopfront.

There is usually NOT any swapping going on. I know people have visions of fabulous swapping at these things but we're there to buy and Phoenix is there to sell. When people have brought something for someone else, they usually pre-arrange and exchange it outside.

What does happen then?

Well, when you go inside the door all the catalog is arrayed on small shelves along roughly three of the walls (2 and a half really) and you go to the area that catches your interest and work your way around. These are tester scents. We TEST! We talk to each other, we sniff and sniff. Some people are very organized, we try to take notes for those not local, and you might consider bringing a pen and paper or a lists of scents you want to try. Hugs are exchanged with friends rarely seen. If you find something *really* good, announce it and share. It's a very relaxed atmosphere. THE LABBIES ARE VERY HELPFUL!!! They will find you the right scent, TAL, or soap/shirt at the drop of a hat. Plus they always look fabulous, make jokes and are very knowledgeable. :) Puddin and Beth are often/almost always there, dropping bon mots and smiles and hugs, as is Brian, although you need to work to get a hug from him. :P (joking) They're nice and friendly people and easy to talk to.

It CAN get crowded -- it's a small storefront. However there is an equally friendly group outside, both of the smoking and non-smoking persuasion, and it's not uncommon for people to take breaks.

WHEN YOU'VE FOUND WHAT YOU WANT

you give a slip to a Labbie, again they're the people standing around being helpful. They go back and get your order. You pay (either paypal or cash) and go on to your normal life or hang out a bit. Sometimes there is even something afterwards, but usually I don't/can't attend these things. The line for the paypal computer can get a bit crowded because everyone need to type individually and the computer's unfamiliar, so if you need to leave at a particular time PLAN that in advance.

What's available?

Other than the GC catalog, there are no guarantees.

However, last month's lunacy blends are usually always up. Often LE groups that have just been brought down are still up, but this is less guaranteed. TESTERS are usually available of current LE groups AND sometimes unreleased or recently released blends. Please note that the CURRENT month's announcements and lunacy blends are NOT available, although you can usually smell them. Remember also that until it ships the formulation is subject to change, so none of the mini-reviews on the recently announced blends are guaranteed in any way shape or form.

Your friends will probably have a lot of fun. They're going to think you're a nut but they'll have fun and maybe get infected with the joy. You might want to get them to test a few things on themselves if you have any on hand BEFORE they go. But maybe wait when you get there. Remind them that these are essential oils and tend to smell strongly in the bottle, but very VERY nice on. (I like them in the bottle too) Get a lovely labbie to help them and get some of the people there to make recs about the most likely suspects to please. Okay?

Hopefully that helps allay any lingering nerves. If you come you're going to have a lot of fun. Plus, how often do you get to devote an evening to your sense of smell, poor neglected and overworked creature that it is. Take it out for a ride.

Go to willcall. ;)

Have fun.

I'll be there. I'm rather large, wear glasses, and possibly a pink corset-y thing. SultryWolf has warned me it's bound to disappoint now and I can't but agree with that assessment even prior to the build-up, so perhaps the tee.

In any event, I'll definitely be wearing a smile.

Introduce yourself and your group.

I like meeting people. B)

Hang in there folks.

Reviews from willcall won't be up for another 10 to 13 hours at least.

Whoops! Sorry Gypsy, didn't realize you'd caught this already. :D Got distracted by the kiddies.

Edited by SueDonym

SueDonym,

Thanks so much for that informative and entertaining reply. I doubt I will ever actually make it across the country for a WillCall, but now, through your lovely description, I feel like I've been there (ok, and now I feel even WORSE).

No, really, Thank you for filling in the blanks - now my imaginary WillCall will be even better...hmmm, a hug from Brian, eh?

SueDonym!

Very impressive description!

:P

I am inpressed. That was a better description than we could come up with.

You forgot to mention that I will be wearing a pink boa tonight!

:D

SueDonym!

but the REAL question is... will you be wearing anything ELSE or JUST a Pink Boa????

that would be worth a plane ticket to see... :D

Damn, now I REALLY wish I were able to go to Will Call!

(ETA: I should probably clarify that my post was really in response to Sue Donym's awesome description, but you know, Puddin in a boa, that would work too. :P)

Edited by Anna D.

SueDonym!

but the REAL question is... will you be wearing anything ELSE or JUST a Pink Boa????

that would be worth a plane ticket to see... :D

oh that would be scary.....

I do love you guys.

I'm glad you liked it. It was easy to write because it's a lovely event and that's what happens.

Big hugs to everyone. I hope I make it tonight, if only for the boa. :P

those of us getting vicarious pleasure at a distance will need full descriptions of the boa...and, um, where it falls. :P

This is my second post, I will be coming to will call next Wednesday, and I was wondering if it is more wise to place an order for pick-up, or is it alright to just test scents and decide what I want when I am there. Please give me some advice. My boyfriend has shopped here online, so we already know we will be buying oils, we're just not sure which ones yet.

This is my second post, I will be coming to will call next Wednesday, and I was wondering if it is more wise to place an order for pick-up, or is it alright to just test scents and decide what I want when I am there. Please give me some advice. My boyfriend has shopped here online, so we already know we will be buying oils, we're just not sure which ones yet.

You can do a combo of both. If you know you want something in the GC - say Black Forrest - order it before you go so you can be sure to get it. If you sniff something you love (squirting cucumber) at Will call then just pick that up there! If you don't know at all - you can wait :P

so you can buy general catalog stuff at the will call, right? It sounds like I need to make the order in advance to pick up, or can you make your decisions there? There are a few oils that I KNOW I want, but I wouldn't mind purchasing some random imps. I was sort of unclear, even reading the announcement.

SueDonym, I never saw this AMAZING post of yours before, but now that I'm about to go to my first Will Call on the East Coast, you taught me so much!

I've always looked out for your Will Call reviews - you're so thorough and thoughtful about trying to give all of us far-flungs a sense of what it's like to be there. The funny thing is, I remember when you hadn't been to one before and you were asking questions about what it would be like. You're so awesome to help other people catch up to where you are now. :P

Totally wonderful review there!

But a question: how are the East Coast Will Calls different? Or are they? I have family in the area, and I will be visiting them sometime in the next year. If I could time it to coincide with a will call...even better!

Is there a set schedule for will calls, anyway? Or is each one decided separately?

Edited by MaidMirawyn

Is there a set schedule for will calls, anyway? Or is each one decided separately?

Will Calls are held on the full moon, so while it varies, it's also set, if that makes any sense. :P There's a list of dates for 2008 here.

But a question: how are the East Coast Will Calls different? Or are they?

They're not terribly different. Here are the main points:

1. No Labbies. The salon staff of Nail Polish Etc. is just as amazingly helpful, but nobody directly in the employ of the Lab is there.

2. No pre-ordering and no imps available. You can buy what's in stock, and it's first-come, first-serve. That said, it's rare for something to run out before the night's over. There are also often older LEs available for purchase--basically, the ones left over from previous Will Calls. There are little pads of paper for you to write down what you want, and little baskets for you to carry your purchases in before you check out. Just give a slip of that paper with your list to a staff member, and they'll find you your bottles. BPTP stuff (as well as Villainess and various other pampering materials like nail polishes, of course) is available too.

3. Nail Polish Etc. takes credit cards, cash or Paypal, so you can use any one of those types of payment, at least.

4. Different venue. Since this is the month the new version will host, I can't comment a whole lot on the setup/how crowded it gets, but the old version did get quite crowded near both the Prototype table and near the general catalog shelves. I can, however, say that the paint job is awesome, since I helped out with a teeny bit of it. Very funky/bright.

Other than that, very much in common. No food, no swapping inside (generally), but lots and lots of testing, and talking, and making and comparing of notes.

This month I'll probably be in the green and white plaid jammies. And pretty much every month you'll find me there in my pseudo-cat's-eye glasses, lugging a great big camera.

Edited by quikslvr

Thanks so much! I wasn't sure if there was a will call EVERY full moon, or just certain ones. I also didn't know if it was always ON the full moon, or if it was on weekends. Y'all are such a big help. :P Here's hoping I see at least some of you in Hershey sometime this year.

One last question: how about taking a minor? (My cousin's fifteen.) Would it be okay? Would my aunt lynch me? Would earlier in the day be better? :D

Thanks so much! I wasn't sure if there was a will call EVERY full moon, or just certain ones. I also didn't know if it was always ON the full moon, or if it was on weekends. Y'all are such a big help. :P Here's hoping I see at least some of you in Hershey sometime this year.

One last question: how about taking a minor? (My cousin's fifteen.) Would it be okay? Would my aunt lynch me? Would earlier in the day be better? :D

Pictures that Quikslvr tookof the most recent East Coast will call are here. The thread for the East Coast will call is here. As you can see, there are children younger than 15 at the event and there are specific hours for the will call - they generally don't go all day. I've never been to the East Coast events, but I have been to the one at the lab. Much fun! :D