Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
grrrlennyl

Pink Moon 2007

A sweet and silly compliment to the first breath of Spring! Sugared carnation and phlox!

Spicy, sugary carnations. They feel velvety, lush and really smooth. Such a pretty spring scent, and with age this has become stunning.

Wow, really surprised at first that I never reviewed this, but realize that while I continued to stockpile my collection, I seemed to stop being anal-retentive about reviews somewhere mid-2005. SOOOOO ... am working my way through my ENTIRE BPAL collection -- imps old and new, bottles old and new, items swapped for and purchased and lagniapped and frimped. And once I get through all of it, I can finally post a somewhat comprehensive swaplist AND wishlist!

This was tested from a decant from my own 5 ML bottle of this purchased at time of release (I've made decants from ALL of my bottles, old and new, just to make my choice-of-the-days easier, and as well as giving myself options when I travel!)

IN THE IMP: Sweet and spicy and sugary. All carnation to my nose.

Dabbed on wrist and into crook of arm.

WET: Upon application, this goes bubble-gummy but in the best possible way. Spicy, playful, fun, sweet but not TOO sweet.

DRYDOWN: This is the only time where what I assume is the phlox note rises, making it just the tiniest bit more "commercially floral." But overall it lasts a long time and stays uniquely BPAL rather than "department store perfume."

OVERALL: I find this a lovely, sassy and fun scent, especially welcome in the spring. I'd say the drydown florally-floral note takes it down just a few fractions when it comes to my final score, but it remains a keeper.

On a scale of 1-5, about a 4.3.

Found an old decant.

First on: An odd vaguely plasticy scent, like those "scented" toys they used to sell.

Drying: A smooth, light floral, definitely pink! Very sweet.

Dry: The carnation really comes out.

Verdict: Not really me but if you like sweet florals, this should be up your alley.

Not familiar with Phlox, really, but adore sugared carnation, so tracked some of this down.

Wet: Oh hi phlox! So that's what it smells like. Interesting, almost effervescent, in a way. Very sweet, but not cloying. Not really getting a lot of carnation, or else the two florals are so well blended together that I can't differentiate. It is a little peppery, but in a good way. I like it so far. It has an interesting dry, dusty sort of quality that feels like summer.

Dry: Pretty. A lovely sugary floral. Turns out I like phlox, or at least with the carnation. This is pretty. Sweet, a bit spicy. Smells like summer flowers in sunshine.

This one wasn't on my radar, but came up as a swap option. I adore carnation. I adore "sugared" things (Faith and Hope as examples). So figured heck why not! I had previously not saught after because I don't know what Phlox will smell like as a perfume. I assumed generic floral so ran away - I dun like floral.

But, let's try it!

Bottle: massive head tilt. Sweet almost floral. ethereal musk?

Initial Skin: Artisan Red Hot candy. Like, smells like those so much to me, but without being fake or too cinnamony. It's super gentle beautiful. Artisan organic. lol

Drydown: More of a floral tilt comes out. I own the single note of the Spanish red carnation. Perhaps this is not the same carnation note, so I'm taking a gamble- But if I assume this is the same note, and remove that carnation from this scent in my brain - what's left I'm assuming is Phlox. If so - Phlox appears to be a soft gentle floral. Almost buttery? My brain thinks it's a cream-colored floral.

Carnation is as spicy as ever on my skin. LOVE it. it's tempered down by a soft sweetness to everything - nowhere near candy levels or straight sugar notes. There's an overall soft delicacy to this scent that I'm really adoring. This is one of the few florals I'm going to keep around. My kind of strong powerful feminine.

Verdict; Summery carnation, spicy power, soft and gentle floral hints. Very Woman to me. If this is pink, it's in the burgundy family.

Edit to add: This baby has BEAUTIFUL drydown. 12 hours after applying and a really flippin' long workday it's the creamiest most beautiful vanilla-like faintly spicy shimmer left behind. Thing is beautiful the whole way through.

Edited by Aveya

In the decant: Sugared, spicy carnation backed by phlox.

Wet: The sugared, spicy carnation is the most prominent note on me, which is what I expected since I amp the note. I do get some of the phlox behind it, which I recognize from the Trading Post's Phlox bath oil from a few years ago. It definitely smells pink.

Dry: I'm surprised the spicy carnation didn't stomp all over the phlox! The sugared carnation continues to reign, but I can still smell the gentle phlox, and I am getting more of it than I did before.

Verdict: As a fan of sugary florals, I'm glad I got to try this one! It's not something I need more of, but I think I'll hold onto the decant and pair it with Alice HG.

Sugared carnation is one of those notes that make me want to dance around all day humming happy little tunes, and Pink Moon does not disappoint. Sure, there must be some phlox in here, but the smell goes straight to the sugared carnation pleasure center in my brain and lights up all the pretty lights. Sunshine! Flowers! Swirly skirts! Bluebirds! Cotton candy! If you like spicy, sugary carnation, it's hard to see where this could go wrong.