Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TrayLynn

Incantation

I was really expecting this to be very dark and wood-forward with a gentle citrus lift, like Azathoth. This is not that. The sandalwood and lemon are the forerunners, and together they are pack a soapy punch. The dry burnt woods in the background are a nice touch but this is still mostly a soap scent. Clean, woodsy, but astringent and lemony. Yes kinda like Irish Spring, but not as straightforward as that. It's more like Irish Spring combined with a dapper woodsy cologne. Massive throw.

Soapy scents aren't really my thing so I will pass on this, but I still glad I got to try it. 

I never would've tried this had I not received it as a frimp.  I don't really consider myself a "dark scent" person, though I do like smoky wood smells from time to time.

Incantation is well-balanced and surprisingly fresh.  My first impression is wet grass/moss with a wisp of wood smoke in the background, and this doesn't change much as it sits on my skin.  It gets a little more woody, but for the most part it's that fresh wet grass/moss and wood smoke.  I can see how it may seem soapy to some people, but I don't immediately get "soap" out of it.

I don't know if I'm ready to commit to a bottle of it yet, but I'll definitely be testing it more times.

Sniffing this in the imp blind I am shocked looking at the notes. Deep and whispy are perfect words for this. It is dark but not heavy, smoky, or any of the other things I usually associate with vetiver or things described as burnt. It is very smooth dark wood with a lightness that I can't place. 

On wet it gets a fresh almost grassy quality. Crisp, almost minty. This is the most pleasant experience I've had with vetiver on my skin. It's swirling and the woods come in and smooth it out some more. 

Dry: this reminds me of something but I can't place it. I'm so happy I got this frimped because I would never have tried it on my own. It is gorgeous, dark and smooth but not heavy. When I sniff deeply I get a touch of pleasant (not sharp or bbq-y) smoke that adds depth.  I'm really loving the fresh green quality. It is so hard to describe but if I had to assign a colour it would be a very deep teal. Might need to pick up a bottle! 

Dominated by smoke, but with a zap of citrus. The smoke is ever so slightly acrid and surprisingly cold smelling - like the remains of charred wood left in a damp stone fireplace.

I skipped this one in the past, possibly because I used to expect lemon in perfume to automatically be a citrus bomb. Instead this is dark, sweet, crumbly wood with a bit of lemon for illumination. I'd compare it to woody incense or the inside of a terrarium. I don't get a lot of smoke, but there's a faint hit of singe. Not an absolute favorite, but remarkably pleasant and a bit sultry.