Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Danse Macabre

An allegorical expression of the ineffable, indisputable triumph of death, generally expressed in medieval artwork as a violin or flute-wielding skeleton leading a procession of dancers to their graves. Black cypress with oakmoss, frankincense, oude, and a sliver of toasted hazelnut.

It's a wonderful mossy scent. It's like a warm field. I think the warmth is coming from those lovely resins. I get frankincense mostly with the oakmoss. This feels like an atmospheric scent that also works well as a perfume. I don't get any hazelnut, and I'm fine with that. I was hoping more for the green notes anyway, and I certainly got them. It's a lighter scent once dry. It's still mossy, but not so resinous. It's good for a subtle scent.

Edited by achildoftime

I've so badly wanted to try this for a long time!

And honestly, from the imp this scent is giving me a break; from the imp, all the notes are easy to pick apart but blended well!

Applied to the skin it's very earthy. Similar to zombi's earthyness but much, much more green. Mossy and woodsy. There's something cold and minty in here. Not sure what cypress is supposed to smell like but I'm guessing that's what that is.

With a couple of minutes it fades a touch, and the strong green and minty notes are much softer.

Lovely, atmospheric, dark but soft.

In the imp: Frankincense, cypress, and oakmoss are the notes that leap out at me.

Wet: The frankincense and cypress are the dominant notes on me, with the cypress being stronger on my skin than it was in the imp. Then, the oakmoss note emerges.

Dry: This is cypress dominant, backed by the oakmoss and resins. I can smell the sliver of hazelnut now, but it really is just a sliver.

After a while, the oakmoss overtakes the cypress.

Verdict: I like this! It's a nice forest scent, which is what I was hoping for! But I'm glad that I don't love it, as it has been out of stock for a long time and may be discontinued. I'm definitely hanging onto my imp!

Trying this one was a trip. I wasn't sure, originally, despite the reviews and my like of the listed notes, because my first thought when I sniffed the imp was that this was a grim scent. It seemed dark, aggressive, foreboding, only let up on by a tiny hint of warm hazelnut. Still, I soldiered on... after a few days to work up my nerve to testing it. :P

Worn: Thankfully, Danse Macabre definitely morphed as soon as it touched my skin. It warms up and calms, growing softer. On me, the frankincense comes to the fore in the beginning, although the black cypress and oude blend to make a scent of smoky woods, or maybe that's the 'toasting' on the still quite present hazelnut. It's actually a fairly comforting scent!

Long term dry down: My skin continues to drink in and gentle this blend. Pretty quickly, it eats anything other than frankincense and the toasted hazelnut, leaving me smelling sort of like someone sneaking roasted nuts in church. Sadly, it doesn't last very well on me at all, but while it does, it's a very snuggly, comforting scent. This is something I'd put on a half hour before I expected to be snuggled up to someone cute.

The cypress smells cool, and the hazelnut smells warm, making this feel a little...confused, I suppose? 

Dont get me wrong, this scent is quite pretty in it's way, but it feels like it's being pulled in two different directions at once - like it cant decide what it wants to be.

An imp from 2011 I believe.

In bottle: I can't really pick out the scents in this.  Sharp and aggressive.  

On skin: This has a menthol scent to it; it smells like vicks vaporub, but with a woody overtone.  

After a few hours: mellowed out into just woody scent, with a bit of what I think is the toasted hazelnuts.

I think this imp is destined for swapping.  

i received a frimp of this. in all these years i've never tried it. it starts with a toasty hazelnut backed up by something green and slightly soapy...guessing it's oaklmoss/cypress. it gets greener and soapier as the hazelnut wears off. it's a mix of foody and fresh-kind of odd. the cypress and oakmoss end up dominating-it's a green, soapy traditionally masculine scent. nice to finally try even though it's not my cup of tea.

Oh, well, well, well.....

gather 'round, ladies and gentlemen, and let me regale you with the tale of a scent that can only be described as the aroma of...a haunted restroom! Yes, beware, for this fragrance carries with it the spirit of, dare I say, a scent experience you'll never forget!

Imagine a fragrance so sharp and bitter, it could make onions cry with envy. It's like the perfume decided to take revenge on all the other sweet and lovely scents out there, saying, "Not today, spicy floral fantasies! I'm here to rain on your fragrant parade!"

Oh, and the clever twist here is that it boasts a unique "urine-like" charm! Yes, folks, this perfume is so bold and daring that it dabbles in the olfactory art of bathroom humor. Who knew that urine could be a source of inspiration for the perfume world? A true trailblazer, indeed!

But wait, there's more! This scent is like the ghost of decay, resurrected from a long-lost crypt, wafting through the air to give you that "day-old coffin" ambiance. Forget about those mundane scents that evoke feelings of life and vitality; this one screams, "Embrace the darkness and dance with the decay!"

And oh, the longevity! It's the gift that keeps on giving, whether you like it or not. Once this fragrance sets its sights on your skin, it's there for good, an eternal reminder of your brave encounter with the essence of...questionable choices.

Now, let's not forget that the listed notes were just playing a game of hide-and-seek. They're elusive little rascals, hiding behind the bold wall of "mostly urine." Why have predictable and recognizable notes when you can have an enigmatic urine-inspired mystery?

my god... and people describe this scent as plescent?! all death and urinal to me. 

On 7/27/2023 at 5:12 PM, Nix said:

my god... and people describe this scent as plescent?! all death and urinal to me. 

I bought this in the bottle back in 2011 and it was gorgeous.

Bought another bottle a month ago, and was shocked by its fetid odor, even after letting it settle. Is BPAL secretly reformulating their blends, or just getting their components from the abattoir? So disappointing.

~~frimp review~~

the smell out of the imp bottle kinda shocked me, I could really smell the hazelnut!

on wet: I can definitely still smell it, but it's accompanied by a very dark presence. it smells like smoke, trees, and a bit of spice. again, not what I immediately expected from the notes.

dried down: it smells mostly the same, not really a shifter. very green and woody with a hint of smoke and hazelnut. pretty earthy (reminds me of Tombstone a bit but don't quote me on it!). it's a nice scent but not one I'd reach for or upgrade. as always I'm thankful for the opportunity to smell it.

definitely can't say it smells like urine.... so sorry for all of you who this scent (or any) turns foul on : (

Edited by asoursweetsixteen