Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
gaai

Harvest Moon 2006

... This Harvest Moon oil is a merging of autumnal scents from all over the globe: chrysanthemum, pomegranate, cane sugar and dusty wheat, sorghum, green tea leaf, rice flower and rice milk, Russian sage, bamboo shoot, elderberry, black cherry, wild plum, red haw, hazelnut, red apple and shagbark hickory.

In the bottle it is spicy autumn fruits.

At first, I'm getting apple and more apple, then it blooms into a subtly sweet berry blend. I love the sage and green tea that tone down the fruit and bring a fabulous dimension to the moon. As for the other notes, my nose is not skilled enough to discern them, but I know they're fabulous!

This is genius and Beth's outdone herself yet again! Thanks you for this smashing fragrance. I'm falling in love with the impending season...

in the imp:

Mmmmm apples and spices.

wet:

Nice! Smells like baked apples and juicy pomagranate, with a strong base of florals and a bit of spices. The florals are deep, golden and sophisticated, rather than bright and springy. So...they're autumnal. :P

dry:

Dries down into a well-blended scent that perfectly combines all the many notes into a comforting and rich fall perfume. The fruits aren't as prominant at this stage, but I can still smell them if I think about it. This is really beautiful and complex, and reminds me of the last sunny warm days of the fall before winter takes over.

In the bottle I smell apple cider with a touch of something else that I can't put a finger on.

Wet on me, it's all apples and some spices - the perfect apple cider. Too bad it didn't stay like that. Once it dries though, there's nothing appley left, and all I smell are dusty florals reminiscent of potpurri thats been sitting out too long.

It's beautiful in the bottle and wet on me, but sadly my skin just doesn't seem to like it much. Off to the swap/sales with it.

This is, overall, pretty much the best fall apple scent I've smelled yet. Spiced apples, and yes, a little potpourri.

Unfortunately, each time I wear it, the scent fades away and within 20 minutes, hardly anything is left. This is one of maybe five scents I've tried that fade so quickly, and the first one I've really loved. :P

harvest Moon is all about the apple in the bottle but when I put some on my skin, it morphs into something totally about the fall. So many ingredients in this, you'd think you'd be overwhelmed but the combination of everything is so amazing and light and crisp. This smells just like the fall with the leaves and fall flowers and fruits. I worried about the fruitiness of this but shouldn't have. Harvest Moon is a winner for my favorite season!

Mmm, rich fruity mulled wine, with lots of spices and herbs, but without a strong alcoholic note.

This scent is like the perfect marriage of last year's amazing Harvest Moon and Mabon...absolutely breathtaking. It will be getting a lot of wear this month, methinks.

This has such an eclectic variety of ingredients that I had literally no idea what it might smell like. But the end result of all those things is surprisingly light and fresh smelling -- more like spring than fall, to my nose.

It's definitely got complexity, but on the whole I'd almost put it in the same scent family as Kumiho and Embalming Fluid, both of which I quite recently tried: very light and clean, not overly sweet... something you could easily wear in a conservative office without raising eyebrows. Maybe it's the tea? And like them, it also seems to be fading quickly, but not as quickly... I guess the diversity of ingredients make it hold up a bit longer than the other light tea scents do on me.

Despite several of the ingredients being edible, it really doesn't smell foody at all to me. It's more herbal than anything, with faint floral and woody traces, and a slight nuttiness. It's pleasant, but much gentler than I was expecting. I don't think I need a bottle, but I will probably keep the imp.

Grade: B

I have no idea what took me so long to try this, but I think that it was the apple, although some of my favorite blends contain it :P

After first applying, I can smell the deep chrysanthemum with a very fresh apple in the forefront. I cannot really separate the other fruits, but they are in there giving sweetness and fullness to the mix along with the cane sugar. After a couple of hours, I no longer smell the apple by itself and the blend takes on a dusky note from the woods and grains. This is so lovely and complex and definitely reminds me of late summer into autumn. This is absolutely one of my favorite lunacies.

In the Bottle: Sweet spiced apple cider in an oak cask.

Initial Wet: Oooh, the apples really come out and it smells definitely autumny on me. I get a woodsy, leafy smell behind the apples that reminds me of the trees as they start to drop their leaves.

Initial Dry: The fruity sweet turns sour and the woodsy herbal begins to come out accompanied by florals. Unfortunately, the fruit keeps getting more and more sour.

Drier Dry: I started having an allergic reaction to it, so I had to wash it off, but it sure had staying power. Hours later, nose to wrist, I can still smell apple cider *sneezes!*.

*sighs* The Great Quest to find fruit scents that work on me has met another downer. It's too bad because I really like the In the Bottle scent and I really like the label artwork.

I received this imp as part of a swap with a lovely Forumite.

In the imp: mulled cider.

Wet: mulled cider.

Dry: This scent really morphed on me. I did not like it at all as it was drying down because it reminded me of apple potpourri. After an hour it is beautiful warm and golden, like coming in to a warm fire after a chilly day of apple picking. I will enjoy my imp and may seek out a bottle.

In the bottle: apples and some sort of light, nonspecific floral.

Initial application: it seems less like floral and more like a sweet, clean grass scent, but the apples are still by far the most predominant. I'm not feeling the spiciness that a lot of other folks are getting, it seems delicate to me.

Drydown: this is so pretty! It's a gentle take on autumn, without the crispness and smokiness, making it appropriate to wear all year long. I wish I had gone ahead and bought a 5ml.

Smiley rating: :P

I had this idea that I hate pomegranite so I have been avoiding blends containing it, though it turns out several I like actually have it. Go figure.

Anyway, I avoided Harvest Moon 06 for this reason, but became interested in it after reading the reviews. So I managed to get a decant.

In the imp and wet, it is very appley. Red apples and a soft floral perfume. Not dissimiliar to Punkie Night at first, but more "grown up" because it more like perfume and less like straight on apple cider.

On, the apple begiins to fade, and I get a softer brown floral. After awhile, I smell something like Hungry Ghost Moon--sugar cane? Its not like HGM at all, but I recognize a similiar note to it.

In the end, this is like a cross between Mum Moon and Punkie Night, more towards the mum moon, though.

I like it, but probably wouldn't have kept a full bottle, so the imp suits me just fine.

Harvest Moon '06 opens with a bright apple topnote, and I can still smell apple on the drydown. Oddly, my nose registers sweet corn, which is certainly harvest-y but not what I expected. The base notes are sweet but fresh, definitely some greenery in there. I have to say that this is my least favorite of the Harvest Moon incarnations-- '04 and '05 are two of my most precioussss hoarded bottles. However, I was glad to have an imp of this to use in ritual tonight, as this is my favorite moon of the year!

Thank you to macabre_fae for a decant!

I generally resist celebrating fall - it is only a sign of the coming of that dread winter - but this one I can actually smell as a joyous celebration of fall. Spiced apples is the top note, but as it dires I can smell the sage and herbs coming out.

It is a VERY well done reflection of the Harvest Moon.

I just got this from a lovely forumite, and boy it's nice. It's very strange, but on me it is a combination of the only other two lunacies I tried this year--Hungry Ghost Moon and Chrysthanemum Moon. HGM, I liked and kept. Mum Moon, I wanted to work on me but it turned to rotting flesh. It's all of the parts I wanted to work in Mum Moon and all of the parts that did work in HGM. Very nice, indeed.

Havest Moon....this is going to be a tough review because I am sick as a dog and honestly am not too sure if I am registering fully all the notes in this blend but I am going to try... :P

Initial sniff from bottle:Fruit driven...I want to say apple...definitely the plum...maybe pomegranate and some other stone fruit..the cherry maybe??? I don't get much in the way of florals, herbs, grains...just for now..with my wonky nose...I get fruit..and it's soft..not super aggressive..but not invisible either.

Applied wet on skin: :D...this is really my favorite phase...right here...when the fruit melds with some sort of floral...wow does this smell good..even with my congested nose I can still appreciate the notes..and in the back of my throat I get a catch of something...I want to say it's a dusty note..so maybe it's the wheat???

Couple of minutes on skin:If I keep sniffing my wrist..which I will do..it's still the fruit and the floral..but it softens a bit...and now I get more of the herbal..it's not really medicinal or bracing but it does give a bit of depth that lends the blend to feel really very autumnal. I have to say this particular blend kind of reminds me of Frapin's 1270...which uses dried fruit, woods, vine flowers, and honey. I love that fragrance as well and would love to layer the two..hmmm..

Drying on skin:The florals are now more on the forefront..with the fruit playing softly in the background...I can sort of feel the "lunar oils" present in this blend..but I don't know if they are really truly there since they aren't listed..must be my wonky nose again. Am going to have to definitely do this again when my nose isn't so clogged..meh.

Throw on this is soft...strongest at it's wet phase..re-application for me is at the 3+hour mark

Drydown:No fruit to speak of...just maybe the touch of hazlenut/with some sort of faint wood..could be the hickory...and that's it for my nose.

Bottom Line:Harvest Moon 2006 is quite beautiful...and I am so glad I went ahead and bought the 5ml. I love the autumnal feel I get from this blend and would be curious to try the other blends from prior years. It's perfect for this time of year and look forward to layering it with my hoarded bottle of 1270...although it truly is beautiful on it's own. I will try to update this when my nose is clear..just so that I can give a better review.

Harvest moon 06

imp: candy sweet. apples! apples and booze. don't ask.

wet: apples! and sweetness, and grassy, but prairie grassy, not lawn or park grassy. hey, is that chrysanthemum? the faintest whiff of burning leaves, like from miles away and just reaching your nose.

bUT predominantly, it's apples.

20 minutes: all about apples. and... caramel. did someone slip me a halloween scent?

later: okay, now it's mellowed out to more of the chrysanthemum and something smoky, with the apples fading back. that's neat. I guess there was a reason I got piles of Harvest moon after all!

In the bottle, this is a sweet breath of just harvested fruit and berries. Wet on me, pomegranate, apples, wheat and sugar with the sharp overnote of the hickory. Very tangy and tart. Drying, there's a musky scent in this - with just a dash of red fruit. As it warms, the rice milk and tea begin to take a nice stroll along the base of this, mellowing and toning it; everything is settling down to a mellow base with some sharp mid notes and soothing high notes. Yummy. On the die down, this is very mild and soft. Definite keeper. Yay for 5mls!!!

Wow. This is such a complex fragrance; I don't know where to begin. Every time I sniffed my wrist, it had changed, moving from apples to brilliant sunflower to some smoky fruit to sweet autumn flowers. It's beautiful and brilliant and dammit, why didn't I order a bottle of this when I had the chance?

Well, it's been 4 months since I first tried Harvest Moon. It was one of my first BPALs and after more experience I think I can take a shot at a review that is more than just, "Apples!" :P

At first I get, yes, apple, but also the tang of pomegranate, raw cane sugar and fuzzy, fibrous sage.

On my skin, the green tea comes out to play, and I think that may be crysthanthemum? - this has a good foot or so of throw. This is lovely, not oversweet...All the notes blend on the same plane, so I get a complex scent that does not come across as particularly thick or layered, but rather enveloping and deceptively, simply soothing.

For a while the sage is a bit too prominent on me, but the drydown is a warm, slightly carmel & wheaty apple. Lovely. So comforting...also divine as a room scent.

in vial: pomegranate and cherry, apple and berry. This is pure fruit in a vial!

wet: apple peel, like a red delicious apple. Cherry and sugar, pomegranate all appear, but apple dominates. Very slight floral, but only if I really look for it.

dry: apple cider! there's tons of other things peeking around the edges, but apple is still the main note my skin picks up. It's lovely! Reminds me of fall, sipping cider after being out in the cold air.

An hour later: the apple fruits are receding and the other compounds are coming around. It smells a little dusty and wheaty, and the florals are a little more present.

Edited by phedre

With so many different elements in this blend it's hard to say why this smells just like apples to me, and really that's all it stays. Warm, true to life, spicy and smooth apples. I would reccomend this blend if people wouldn't want something that's inbetween Samhain and Punkie Night as this blend isn't so applely but isn't so spicy either.

Apples, a smidge of apple cider, and sugar cane.

I :P it.

However, the longer I wear it, the more pronounced the sugar cane becomes. Eventually, that's all I can smell. But since this doesn't happen for a few hours, I can still wear it happily.

Harvest Moon 2006 - I am amazed at the number and variety of notes in this blend. On my skin, most of the notes don’t appear at all. It's predominantly apple, bamboo, and dust on my skin. There's the slightest hint of juicy, warm fruits, but it seems like just a drop was added to the bottle. Overall, it's a very earthy and autumnal blend, and due to its "dusty" nature, isn't a scent I find myself drawn to, although I am thrilled that the apple isn’t turning rancid on me as apple usually does. The throw is light and as with most lunar blends, it doesn’t last long on my skin.