Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thesibylqueen

The Best Mint Blends

I love wearing Snow Bunny when it's hot outside - the snowy notes and sweet pine remind me of winter. :P

What a great idea! It is 99 degrees here and humid! :P I never thought about icy/minty. :D

Undertow is divine. this thread really makes me regret passing on nuclear winter. And motivates me to look at the mock turtle and the star (which i wanted to look at anyhow)

What does refrigeration do to the oils?

I'm curious about this myself... Would it help keep them smelling "fresh" for longer, or just make them... you know... cold?

Undertow is divine. this thread really makes me regret passing on nuclear winter. And motivates me to look at the mock turtle and the star (which i wanted to look at anyhow)

Well, I've now tried undertow as well as numb.

Numb is... odd, and not entirely what I was looking for. Not bad though.

Undertow is minty alright, but something is a bit not right with it too.

The search continues!

Blood onmy hands suggested Pain, and I was going to suggest it as well. I tried it today for the first time and it was quite cooling! The pennyroyal gives it that penetrating minty quality.

I keep my (2) bottles in the fridge among my other perfumes, while the imps are in my room, and I haven't noticed any difference. Except that I like Devil's Night a lot more now than when I first tried it, but that may just be the aging. Perhaps they take a little longer to develop and warm up on the skin since they are colder to begin with though?

I love Shattered because it's fresh and light without being mentholated, but I wish it had a darker, more potent incarnation.

I've read the reviews of all the scents mentioned in this thread and am wondering what makes a cold scent snowstorm and not rainstorm? Mint? Evergreen?

Also, is the aquatic element of Frost Moon, Undertow and Szepassony (mentioned in another thread as being similar) something specific in common, such as juniper?

I sincerely appreciate any thoughts you may have on the subject. I also posted in the Crisp, Cold Night thread http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=33...mp;#entry633021 with a similar MO.

Also, is the aquatic element of Frost Moon, Undertow and Szepassony (mentioned in another thread as being similar) something specific in common, such as juniper?

I can't speak for the others, but to my nose, Szepasszony definitely doesn't have a "woodsy" component to it. I think it smells like eating lemon ices on a crisp morning in early spring

mmm, Talvikuu fits here perfectly. It's like a frozen lake hidden in a snow covered forest, but also sweet, like gingerbread.

This is actually a topic that I'm very interested in. I've been searching for a "cold" bpal scent ever since I discovered them, and failed miserably.

Of the oils suggested, I've tried:

ice queen

Saturnalia

snow moon

snow white

shattered

Snow-flakes

Snow-maiden

Nuclear winter

Lick it

I have at home/ordered, but haven't tried yet:

Talvikuu

Black ice

Cathode

None of what I've tried so far comes close to "cold". I'm looking for a very specific cold though, more so than the minty cold. I come from (very) Northern Canada, where the temps can get down to -70c with the windchill, so I know cold! I find they tend to run towards sweetness, which just shouldn't be. Cold to me is the middle of December, standing in the quiet woods with snow-covered pine trees all around you. There's a whiff of frozen pine needles, ice, wind blowing over snow, and leftover small bitter juniper berries on bushes. There's a sharp, bitter quality to the air, no sweetness, no florals, no salty aquatics at all. It bites at your nose, and also has an aspect of fresh and clean to it. It makes you want to inhale deeply, even though it hurts your lungs to do so.

I'm hoping someone has a suggestion like this :P

Well, Undertow was definitely a cold, minty-esque scent. It was a bit medicinal at first to me though, although it smelled very nice after it settled down a bit. I also would like to second, or third, the votes I already saw for Mad Hatter (that's one of my boyfriend's very favorites) and especially Envy. Envy is just divine.... truly.

I'm looking for mint scents that are not cold -- specifically, I love spearmint but do not like peppermint. A buttery mint that's not icy might be nice, too.

Recommendations? (This is all happening because I tried Gennivre and fell in love with the mint tea beautifulness.)

Thanks!

I'm looking for mint scents that are not cold -- specifically, I love spearmint but do not like peppermint. A buttery mint that's not icy might be nice, too.

Recommendations? (This is all happening because I tried Gennivre and fell in love with the mint tea beautifulness.)

Thanks!

I wwould recommend staying away from blends with pennyroyal then, because it has that icy quality, and more of a peppermint feel to it (although it's definitely pennyroyal, another animal).

For instance, Mad Hatter is like mint meltaways to my nose, but the mint is cold.

You might try one pennyroyal scent, though, just to get a feel for what it is like!

I'd definitely second Snow-Flakes - it smells like winter to me - with a little tiny bit of herbal - it reminds me of snow when I smell it.

Of course, my *favorite* is Lick It and/or Lick It Again - you just can't get more peppermint wow :P

This is an older thread, but since it's popped back up, I had to add to it! I am, as some know, a mint FAN. I ADORE mint.

There are certain blends that could be called minty or cold that as a mint lover I would have to say didn't work for me - Undertow (which was seriously odd on my skin), Numb (which was a powdery floral more or less), anything with pennyroyal is less mint and more bathroom cleaner on my own skin (this is of course different for different people though!). Snow White was beautiful and soft but I wouldn't put it in this category myself.

My favorite mint blends are Lick It, Tulzscha, and Spooky (which is a soft mint, but still) :P

I wwould recommend staying away from blends with pennyroyal then, because it has that icy quality, and more of a peppermint feel to it (although it's definitely pennyroyal, another animal).

For instance, Mad Hatter is like mint meltaways to my nose, but the mint is cold.

You might try one pennyroyal scent, though, just to get a feel for what it is like!

Ah! Thank you. I will do that. Learning is good. :P

is there a blend that smells predominantly of mint, but not menthol? the search function takes us to blends that mix mint with a zillion other oils, and what I want is something a bit like mint tea. Something fresh and at the same time comforting. And if possible, not a LE.

Edited by Nia

is there a blend that smells predominantly of mint, but not menthol? the search function takes us to blends that mix mint with a zillion other oils, and what I want is something a bit like mint tea. Something fresh and at the same time comforting. And if possible, not a LE.

Yes, I would like to know about this too. I kind of hoped Green Tree Viper would be that for me. You could try that, it's an LE, but out for so long that it practically isn't.

I mixed Dorian with Hemlock, and I got the most luscious creamy but not cloying blend. I would love to find a blend that does this with mint instead of the evergreen that is hemlock. (Mad Hatter is creamy, but it has a very sharp quality due to the menthol.)