Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A venerable, complex formula used for protection, guidance, and peace of mind.

Nestled amongst my most recent order was a bottle of this, and I did a search through the existing blends and didn't find it, so I suppose I'm on the spot here. So, without further ado, Aegis, Twilight Alchemy Blend.

From the name, I would assume that this oil is involved heavily in protection, be it from external malevolent sources, or perhaps a strengthening of one's resolve in preparation for a trial, be it mental, physical, or spiritual. I'm not certain how to use the twilights, but I will test a dab or two of this on my wrist before going out again today to class.

From the bottle, Aegis smells slightly lavender-y, with a sweet, kind of musky, snappier floral, blended over something remniscent of Wolf's Heart, a sweet, neroli-esque base mixed with a touch of spiciness. It's a little peppery, a little gingery, but mostly very subdued.

On the back of my wrist, wet, it's (whomp!) lavender, with perhaps a brush of peppermint and citrus peel or lemongrass, quite herbal and sharp. Over time, it grows more lemony, with a faint woodsy base. I do feel somewhat more grounded wearing Aegis.

Longterm, it's very hard to pin down what is in Aegis, it's a slightly jasminoid, lavender blend layered very superbly with less bright citrus notes, and I swear there is a touch of that same tamarind note I get in Nephilim. It actually seems to get stronger as I wear it. I can see how this would be a very grounding scent. Oddly enough, I get hints of both 'air' and 'earth' with this on.

If I had to compare this to any general catalog scent I'd say it shares qualities with Oneiroi but has more of a herbal/lemon kick to it. Over a longer time to dry down, the florals disappear and I have a slightly spiced, lemon-rosewood aroma.

I'll have to try this out next time something particularly taxing threatens me. It does very vaguely irritate my skin, so this may go in my burner. Edited by Shollin

Aegis

In the imp: this smells of lavender with something sweet and also a hint of spice. It's a lovely scent.

In my neighbourhood, I don't really feel safe. There have been reports of burglaries and shootings. The kids here are all thugs and do all sorts of dodgy things like mugging people, breaking into cars and houses and so on. I don't feel safe when I walk down the street because the people are so creepy and/or rude and they make me feel very uncomfortable-I always get these scary old men looking at me with that leery, dirty look in my neighbourhood. So I thought I'd use this oil to do a protection ritual for my house and myself, because right now, protection and peace of mind are much needed.

I used the imp wand (this came in a decant) to draw a circle around myself, and visualised being surrounded by protective energy. I then used a cotton bud (q-tip) soaked in the oil and drew around the frames of the doors and windows of the house, again visualising a shield of energy protecting the house from anything harmful such as burglars and vandals and so on. Finally I dabbed some oil on myself, again, visualising and focusing on feeling protective and calm.

Verdict (scent): the scent is very pleasant indeed. Not one I'd wear as perfume, but I like it. it's lavender and lemon verbena with a hint of something reminiscent of olive, and some jasmine and other florals and possibly a hint of spice.

Verdict (intent): I will wait and see if this ritual I performed did any good but since using the oil I definitely feel some energy (as I do when I usually perform/take part in rituals), warm and soothing, around me. I feel calmer and more confident, less anxious, less worried, more at ease, my mind is still, I feel less nervous, but I also feel energised. I will update this if anything else of note happens.

The smell of Aegis is herbal lavender and sharp lemon to my nose. Very unpleasant and kind of strikes me as a bitter scent.

Edited by Little Bird

I like this very much. It smells like thyme, mostly. Rather appetizing! I think this is my favorite, scent-wise, of the protection/uncrossing TALs. It does work to make my mind feel peaceful, too. I think the calm it brings me even rubs off on my cats -- they seem to fight less when I use this oil.

ETA: I've recently used Aegis during a tough time and it's been amazingly helpful. Highly recommended.

Edited by Mountaingrrl

Brief scent review: In the bottle: thyme with an undernote of...cod liver oil?

Out of the bottle: thyme/lemongrass/cod liver.

Effects review: I ordered up Aegis because I am in a phase of my worklife where I frequently feel drained by the people to whom I provide services, and so I was looking for a way to strengthen my ability to shield myself.

My first basic ritual was to anoint myself while visualizing a shield of white light around myself. The day I did this, I felt calm and able to draw boundaries easily.

My second ritual involved a small Saint Michael the Archangel retablo I purchased on impulse in New Mexico last month. I anointed it with Attuning to make it "mine," so to speak, the first day I wore it, and on the second day anointed it with Aegis, setting the intent that the retablo would symbolize my shield (note: if I could have found a retablo with Medusa on it, or Athena, that would have been even better, but I was using what I had), I have been wearing the pin over my heart center for the last three days.

Here's the odd thing: I have been chronically ill with a flareup of cough-variant asthma for about a month with no letup. In the last three days to all outside observers I have become dramatically better. Yes, associating this with the retablo and Aegis could be a post hoc fallacy. But. I've been sick for a long time, and I haven't been resting because of a commitment I made that requires me to work 7 days a week right now.

I also used Aegis in connection with space clearing--too soon to tell if it is enhancing its effect.

Okay, so I've actually had a decant of Aegis for a while. Someone gave me one in a trade and although it smells good, at the time I was in the middle of a LOT of negative energy and I already had a bottle of Fiery Wall of Protection, so I hadn't used Aegis very much. Fiery Wall is powerful against bad intentions, in my experience, and when it has my back, I feel a little better, but it's not protective in the same way as Aegis. Aegis, to me, is more of an energy cleanser, preventative of shenanigans by making some kind of truce with the energies that could become more negative, and makes me feel much more at ease. It's more of a filter than a barrier, if that makes sense.

I got out the vial remembering how nice it smelled and hoping it might do the trick for me lately, as I've been getting a vague creepy feeling quite frequently and need to clear my head. Aegis has a wonderful smell. I don't quite know how to explain it, but I can always tell at a meet-n-sniff when I'm smelling a TAL versus a BPAL oil. With a TAL there is always an energetic effect. I'm really sensitive to that type of thing, so I need some Aegis on my side.

Aegis smells like something citrus and lavender at first. To me lavender and citrus seem to have a cleansing effect, energetically. It's almost like Arcana, if you've tried it, from the BPAL website. But, as it dries it becomes more herbal, more spicy and a little smokey and whatever those fragrances are from, that is the true power of this oil. It's like you get a cleansing effect, and then a foundation underneath of protection. I can feel how serious it is when it gets to this stage.

Bonus, I slathered this on myself a few days ago, and when my husband came home he began smelling my arms. I thought he would complain, because he usually does when I wear a fragrance that he notices. He doesn't tend to like any fragrances on me. But he really loves Aegis. He said it smelled like I had been cooking something ethnic, and he encouraged me to hurry up and order a bottle of Aegis and to wear it regularly.

I decided to bust out Aegis because I needed some. This isn't a "pure" review in that I am currently comboing Emotional Healing with Aegis because I felt a need for protection and the ability to deal with some of my emotions.

Aegis to me smells like hint of lavender, citrus, thyme and something slightly bitter. I find it very calming and grounding actually. I think it actually pairs really well with Emotional Healing for me at the moment. Whereas Aegis has such an external focus, Emotional Healing has a very internal focus.

I'm going to bust out Aegis in the next couple of days with perhaps some White Light thrown in at some point and come back and edit this review.

ETA: So Aegis by itself seems to have a very stony vibe. To me, it's like being able to put up a stone wall around you. There's nothing fragile about this, its a very solid seeming blend.

Edited by zankoku_zen

I was amazed to read the first reviews mentioning lavender, lemon(grass) and peppermint because I don't smell any of these. Perhaps the decant that someone sent me with a bottle I bought from them is old, there is not year on it and I know the lighter notes may disappear with time. My first thought was frankincense, thyme is a good possibility also. I didn't know what it was supposed to do until I read this thread so I can't say yet if it works for me.

ETA: definitely frankincense and definitely a bit too old. So the rest was probably lost with time. It would probably no longer work because of that but I can't tell because I am not in need of protection.

Edited by Zorra