Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Scorpio

This one is something between masculine and feminine... and none of them.

It's quite like I imagined Scorpio, really. Of all the Celestials this one really smells like the concept that I have in my mind.

I pick a strong floral touch, maybe ylang-ylang or gardenia, with a spicy bottom line.

This perfume stands out.

112739185.jpg

In the bottle

herby, woody, spicy

On

violet and something woody or dry leaf smelling.

At about 2 minutes there seems to be an almost minty or cinnamony quality, that kind of spicy or minty nice burning smell. Now I smell smoke and there's a sweetness now that isn't all that good, I like it before the sweetness came out.

30 minutes

Um.... "The Celery, The Celery!"

Throw:

more than average surprsingly

Scent category:

Green/Herbal/Woody

Summary

Changling if a little bugger (just like Scorpio's hehe). At first green yet strong and fresh, then warm and smoky. I'm surrounded by the little bast...eh...creatures. My best friend, my husband, and my young boy/girl twins...all Scorpio's. I'm thinking of opening a workshop on how to deal.

*ahem*

Purchase again?

No. Too acrid. I think that says something right there, I'm going to tell my husband. :P

1-5 rating (5 being best)

My impression:

This is a woodsy herbal spiciness that is quite lovely. The incense note comes out as it begins to dry. And although it seemed somewhat masculine at first, upon drydown it seems totally neutral if not feminine. I love the musk note in here as well. This really has turned out to be an exquisite blend. My scale of 1-5.....5+ :P

In the bottle: Wow, this is strong stuff. Clove/cinnamon, incense, night-blooming flowers maybe?, some musk, and something a little like almond. Sweet and spicy.

On, wet: An almost floral sweetness, anchored down by dark, musky notes and spices.

Drydown: Less sweet now; more peppery and warm with some incense and dark green notes as well.

This is lovely. And very appropriate to the sign, I'd say.

Scorpio is a very odd blend. It mixes a lot of notes that I wouldn't imagine would be good together. First on this is what smells like violets and cedar on my skin. Cool, powdery florals and spicy woods. Perhaps a bit of mint in the background. It feels cold and tingly for a few minutes.

Then this morphs into a sweet floral and spice blend on me. Perhaps jasmine, cinnamon, and clove? It's a smoky, spicy floral. Has anyone else gotten jasmine from this? It's doing weird things on my skin.

And after about an hour this is powdery violets again and sharp musk on my skin. It's sort of bitter and giving me a headache (musk sometimes gets a funky cheap hairspray smell on me). I haven't gotten any of the herbal/green fragrance that others have mentioned either :P

I'll be swapping my decant away to a loving home, this one seemed to wreck havoc with my skin chemistry.

There is a lot going on in this blend... jasmine, cedar, violets, cloves... too many notes at once.

It's interesting, but the overall combination is very powdery as it dries. *yuck*

Scorpio

Thanks to the lovely Heavenlyrabbit for sending me an imp or this to try! :P

First impression: Whoa, violets!

Upon application: Violet is the first note that jumps out at me, but there's something stronger, too, that I can't quite place. I think maybe it's magnolia...it's got that bite to it.

After a few minutes: Now I'm thinking the bite is pine. It's interesting though, considering the dominant notes seem to me to be violet & pine - this scent seems really rather red. There's something sweet, red & spicy changing the general character.

Conclusion: It's defnitely got an empowering, kick-you-upside-the-head kind of strength to it. I love the scent, but I wonder if I can get away with it...

Scorpio - Holy cow, I've never had a scent change and morph so quickly and so dramatically in the first couple of minutes. My very first initial impression is dishsoap, which is almost instantly replaced by the overwhelming scent of violets, which is instantly covered up by the scent of mint, and then the violets come back only this time they bring a little incense with them, and whoa! there's a bit of gardenia in here, too, and then more soap and violets and mint and now, wood, as well! Wow, it's just a cacophonous olfactory party going on in this little blend! Wet on my skin, each of the notes seem to be in competition with one another, each trying to pop out and be the foremost note, but as the blend dries down, the notes settle down and at least try to work together, although I can't say they're particularly successful. There are just so many random, bold notes in this blend, and each one was meant to be the pri mary note, and it's just not possible for them all to be the primary note at the same time. Around the 1 hour point, I notice the gardenia is the dominant note, backed up by the woods, and the even fainter scent of violet, mint, and now a touch of rose (?) and herbs, as well. The throw is really strong, so I can't apply too much at once. The staying power is phenomenal -- I think the wood notes really help this cling to my skin. Definitely one of the most unique and interesting BPAL blends I've tried to date, but not something I would choose to wear myself, as its just too heady for my taste. I think lovers of the gardenia in Sacred Whore may really like Scorpio.

In the bottle: A slightly spicy & smokey aquatic.

First on: It's still aquatic, but it's a warm sultry one, still spicy & smokey but maybe with a bit of vanilla or amber in it as well.

Drydown: It's still smokey, now some musk is noticeable, and the aquatic scent is gone. The amber is slightly spiced, I can't tell if I like it.

Overall: Very scorpio like. Mysterious, sexual, and watery in a fire type style.

I'm not sure how to best describe Scorpio, other than to say that, to me, it posesses all of the qualities I associate with that astrological sign. It's dark, powerful, persistent, mysterious and beautiful in a unique way. I've never really come across a blend like this. It manages to be fiery, smooth and aquatic at the same time. This may be a silly, whimsical thought, but what I picture in my head when I smell it, is a fiery river.. it's liquid surface strewn with luscious flowers, visible through the flames.

Upon testing it, I get a dark smokiness, with magnolia, a touch of violet, and something.. kinda glittery and bright. Not sure what it is, but it adds a glamorous quality to this already rich scent. I love this, but I haven't decided whether I can wear it yet. I think it would be vaguely ridiculous on me, and would probably wear *me* instead of the other way around. I am so, so glad I got to try this, though, and for Scorpio scent lovers, this is *the* blend to try.

To my complete surprise, I got two frimps of this in my BPTP order! Love to Puddin!

This smells like Sacred Whore of Babylon with smoky wood in it on first application. Reading jj_j's review on the first page, I realise that this is the sweet incense and the clove that my nose was perceiving like that.

On drydown - yes, I can see where the "celery" reviews were coming from - Scorpio has lost his sultry edge and become herbal and woody, and does smell like celery mingling with wood.

Overall, it is a very unusual scent, although it is unlikely that I will wear it often. But I am glad I have had a chance to try it.

I received this frimp of the original Scorpio along with my Salome locket in a BPTP order (a bday gift from the Boy : -) I'm overjoyed because it's such a lovely scent, and just a bit sad because I'll never get the chance to own a bottle. 'Tis better to have loved and lost, though, I say!

In my opinion, Scorpio is mainly a tuberose/gardenia scent, with a hint of musk and the faintest whisper of spice way in the distance.

It's a creamy, warm floral, fresh without being sharp and yummy without being cloying.

I absolutely adore it! A lovely gift within a gift. I used it to christen my scent locket, quite appropriate as a Scorp and on my bday!

This is completely different from Scorpio 07, I will treasure them both.

Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous.

Scorpio is viscous and red in the vial, and smells almost molten; not firey, per se...but slick, coiled, and warm - heat liquified.

On my skin, it's sweet and resinous. I don't think I can identify any of the notes - there seems to be a sweet musk in there, but beyond that I'm clueless. It's kinda earthy and kinda fruity. Very RED. I wonder if there's Dragon's Blood. Personality-wise, I think it suits Scorpio (my rising sign) to a tee. It's sultry, commanding, and mysterious. You cannot ignore this scent if it's around.

At first, this is HOT. Fiery, pulsing, burning hot; it seems to emanate heat when I get my face close to my wrist to sniff. At first, I think dragon's blood, resins, pine pitch and something hotter - maybe something like juniper, as initially I'm reminded of Wildfire. There's a touch of antiseptic around the edges, but it's not the usual suspects - or it could be mint. Something reminds me of soap but is pungent at the same time, and I suspect violets. Violets and I never get along.

There's something of burning herbs, singed seeds to this as it dries; herbal notes spring to the foreground and yet I can't pin down what it smells like to me. Not cinnamon, not clove, not just pepper, but something about it does tickle my nose. After that initial flare, it's starting to mellow a touch, but it feels coiled, like it could strike at any second. A creamy trickiness is spreading out over the fire, but it's still there, turning things to dust and dried petals.

Scorpio is hard to pin down, for me, and harder to imagine wearing, though it's very intriguing. The cusp baby in me suspects I'd fall more on the Sagittarius side of things, scent-wise.

Edited by bookandbroom

Sort of… floral? Some wood? Something powdery?

I'm not great at noteless identification, so I had to come look at the reviews, and I see they repeatedly mention violet. Not sure what violet smells like, but it has a sort of soapy floral effect on me. In the end it's sort of a soapy-powdery-moist floral, with a touch of that rotting smell thick florals can have sometimes. Definitely not for me. So different from the later one that I adore!

This one oddly enough smelled like a mixture of jasmine and spicy Dragon's Blood Resin. The jasmine disappears after an hour, leaving behind a warm, musky smell that is a teeny bit powdery. I kinda like it at this point.