Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thelaurenator

Campfires, bonfires, fireplaces, burning wood and leaves...

Can anyone suggest a really good campfire-y smelling BPAL oil, that isn't discontinued? I've already ordered an imp of Djinn, but I've read it's not really campfirey, more just burning in general.

So, uh, suggestions for a newbie? I love the scent of campfires and I know it works on me.

Hellfire has a really nice smoky woods kind of scent.

I haven't tried Brimstone, but the reviews mention campfires.

Brimstone didn't smell at all like a campfire, or any fire for that matter, to me. Djinn is closer, but is more like a clean, metallic incense smell than anything--kind of like lemon verbena incense in a metal burner. However, if you can get your hands on Hunter Moon or Hexennacht (or to a lesser degree, Samhain), you might have results with that. I too have been searching for a perfect bonfire scent, but sadly haven't found one yet.

Hunter Moon is pure smoke/bonfire to me, I don't get any of the wine notes everyone else mentions.

Brimstone is the scent of the ash and soot left over from a fire.

All the best recommendations are unfortunately LEs.

Edited by Rheliwen

Brimstone is the scent of the ash and soot left over from a fire.

All the best recommendations are unfortunately LEs.

Actually, I think Jack would be ideal for this.... Don't ask me why pumkin and campfires go together............ The scent is like pumkin s'mores

I agree with Hunter Moon!! It's lovely and smokey sweet :P

Djinn was definitely more of an acrid ashey smell to me, but might be different to someone else!

Maybe I'm just a freak or something, but Brimstone was in no way "campfire-y" to me. It was cloying, heavy, and didn't bring to mind anything like being out in the woods (or even a backyard) hanging around a campfire. I haven't lived in the city so long as to forget what a campfire smells like. :D :P

Sadly, though, I have no recommendations. :D

Maybe I'm just a freak or something, but Brimstone was in no way "campfire-y" to me.  It was cloying, heavy, and didn't bring to mind anything like being out in the woods (or even a backyard) hanging around a campfire.  I haven't lived in the city so long as to forget what a campfire smells like. :D :P

Sadly, though, I have no recommendations. :D

Brimstone didn't smell like a campfire at first (it is very gritty, ashy), but after dry down it smells like I do after I have been sitting around a campfire for a couple of days (slightly different from just smellling like a campfire; does this difference matter?). At first I didn't like it until the boy pointed that out. Since then it has grown on me, but still needs to be used in moderation.

After being introduced to Brimstone, I've been in love with "fire/burning wood" notes - and now i'm in need for some more! Does anyone know any other oils that smell like burning wood? thank yoos :P

I would definitely recommend Djinn & Tarot: The Tower. :P

Read my mind

:D

Djinn--aftermath of forest fire but this turned too sweet on me with its green notes, perhaps you'll have better luck?

I was going to suggest Tarot: the Tower through it seems many people have had widely varying experiences with this one and its unavailable in imp size. If you do opt for this one, find an imp on ebay or through a swap. Its sharp dark herbs and very hot acrid flame. I have a full size bottle because the name appealed to me and I found the scent worthwhile but not what I was looking for. Too charred and not 'red' enough as it developed. Also, everybody seems to get vetiver in this, if that particular note bothers you.

I believe wildfire(an LE from 2004) would be the exact thing I'm trying to find but so far I've found no opprotunity to buy it at a less than outrageous price.

I too am in search of the perfect fire scent :D

Court

I can only say this after hearing things about it, because I've never tried this blend myself yet. But I've heard that Cathedral smells like just burned out candles. So, smokey. Don't take my word for it though! :P

I second Djinn. It smells more like burning grass and metal to my nose, but it has that fiery smell. I love it.

Hellfire doesn't exactly smell like fire, but it is extremely smoky. If leather bothers you, though, avoid it, since I got a lot of that note out of it.

If you can get your hands on Hunter Moon, try that. It was mostly wine on me, but wine notes dominate with my chemistry, and there was at least a background of bonfire smoke.

Sign me up for the "I must find the perfect fire scent" list. As far as BPAL goes, Djinn is as close as I've found. If you're willing to venture outside of BPAL, also try Goth Rosary's Mayhem scent. I think it's my favorite out of all the Goth Rosary scents, and to me it comes pretty darn close to what you might be looking for.

(Edited for grammatical errors. :P )

Edited by voodoobaby

Tarot: Death is like burnt wood with other notest that some say are floral. I reckon the burnt quality comes from vetiver in part.

Hexxenacht if you can find it is very smokey.

I wouldn't say Cathedral is smokey per se, more insense than actual burning wood but it is very, very lovely.

I am trying to find something that smells like fall and burning leaves. Is there a BPAL oil that captures what I am looking for or maybe layering of several oils that may have the same smell. I have all of last years Halloween blends, but just wanted to know if you had suggestions on some oils that may come close to what I am after. I wish Beth did customized scents again. I'd give her my first cloven-hooved demon spawn if she were so willing to accept. Just think....extra help around the Lab :P

I'm wearing Djinn right now and I think it might come close to what you're describing. And I've read of a few other smokey scents form bpal....Brimstone, Samhain, and Devil's Night, off the top of my head. Also...one of the new wanderlust blends, Jezirat Al Tennyn: "The Dragon’s Isle: smoke and fire, earth and wind. The rage of the elements blasting over a primordial paradise."

I bet there are more limited edition bpal blends that would come close.

My suggestion is to wait for the Halloween blends to come out, and order yourself some Samhain. Once aged, it really smells of burning leaves.

A good one to try, for a general "forest" type of scent, is Yggdrasil. Not so much smoke, but definitely leaves.

I know that this is probably posted somewhere and I'm just too much of a tard to see, but can someone tell me when the Halloween oils are going to be online? For that matter...is there a calender that can list the dates of the different lunacy blends, so I can write it down...print is out..ect. I'm telling you...this is an addiction! I MUST HAVE BPAL! :P

I know that this is probably posted somewhere and I'm just too much of a tard to see, but can someone tell me when the Halloween oils are going to be online? For that matter...is there a calender that can list the dates of the different lunacy blends, so I can write it down...print is out..ect. I'm telling you...this is an addiction! I MUST HAVE BPAL! :P

You might want to check out the Update Speculation Thread and the Upcoming Lunacy Thread. As of right now I don't think there's a date yet for the Halloween update!

And to the original poster, the closest thing to burning leaves, to me, that is BPAL is Devil's Night!

Edited by Midnight Aeval

...I know that this is probably posted somewhere and I'm just too much of a tard to see, but can someone tell me when the Halloween oils are going to be online? For that matter...is there a calender that can list the dates of the different lunacy blends, so I can write it down...print is out..ect.....

...nobody knows for sure about the fall update but we're all as impatient as you are! : D

...as far as the lunacy blends, well, they are out on the full moon. I don't think Beth announces what particular blend it will be but I think she follows the traditional names of the full moons. There are links somewhere in here, I remember seeing the names of all the full moons. But there are different ones for different parts of the world, different cultures, etc.....I think Kindly Moon will be the next one. Can anyone else explain this better? : )