Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Gypsy Queen

A heavy-lidded perfume, the quintessence of beauty and power shrouded in mystery, swathed in a deep, velvet-clad cloak of dark omens: Romany incense and candle smoke mingling with an alluring, body-warmed whiff of bergamot, neroli, Bulgar rose, carnation, and amber musk.

In the bottle: It smelled almost exactly as I wanted it to, I immediately picked up the incense and floral.

Wet: I found myself wishing there was some sort of musk in it. Usually BPAL scents are almost overpowering wet, this one, just didn't charm me.

After 30 minutes: The florals were really coming out. The incense seemed to be quickly

Dry/Overall: This was not a gypsy queen. I had envisioned more of a Carnevalesque hedonist, a dancing, sensual gypsy who can enrapture any and all males present (and even some of the females). This scent, to me, seemed to be more somber, pensive, and mournful. The florals really took over and combined with the incense's memory to give more of the mood of a "gypsy languishing in jail." This is not Esmeralda at the Carnival of Fools, but Esmeralda trapped in Notre Dame. Confinement and mourning less than Freedom and Sexuality.

It's not bad, it's just... not what I wanted.

05 Version

Ok, again, please forgive me if this isn't to my usual standard of review. I can't find my notes as I just moved. :D And thanks to my imp pimp Mandragora, she sent this to me. Who loves me baby? :D

In the bottle: sex in a bottle. This is musky, smokey, and darkly floral.

Wet: musky sexy goodness, and roses drying in rafters that have cresote from the candles and incense on them. Smokey roses. OMG! I never thought I would love this scent. I thought the neroli, or the rose would plot with my skin to make this smell awful. Instead I want to shag myself, or get rogered in the worst way. *checks description to see if warning labels are on Gypsy Queen* I keep thinking of those Tag body spray comercials, but for this scent. Is it safe to go outside wearing this? :P

Dry down: OMFG! It just smells the same, but stronger, darker, richer, better. I need this perfume! I don't just want it, I NEED it! This is sexy, this makes me feel alluring and beautiful and hawt (aint illusion grand? :D ). This is totally femme, femme fatale!

Conclusion: I didn't even bother to put a 30 minutes in here, as it is the same wonderful femme, killer, scent. I am going to cry, cuz an imp is all I have. :D Why does my holy grail number one out of top ten have to be an LE?

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 5+.

Edited by Shollin

(Original Run)

Gypsy Queen reminds me of a LUSH scent, probably because of the carnation and neroli. It's a warm incense, touched with a musk that has a hit of vanilla. The neroli definitely stands up for itself, too.

I'm glad I got a 5ml of this when the Carnaval came back around. It's sexy without being obnoxious, and it's quiet enough that I could wear it to work if I wanted to without being afraid that I'd make everyone around me sneeze.

On a side note, wow, who would have thought, six months ago, that I'd be a fan of an incense blend? Either my nose is getting fonder of these sorts of things, or my tastes are changing more than I realized. Or are those two things the same?

(Second Run)

My new bottle is a little disappointing compared to the original. It's good, just not as outstanding as the first bit I tested. I think aging is definitely kind to this blend, and I'm socking my bottle away for a while.

Edited by karen

Resurrected 2006 version

I bought a bottle of this because it is a "florincense" like my beloved All Saints 2005. And crossed my fingers that the neroli wouldn't hate me.

Gypsy Queen is another incensy floral, but it is MUCH softer, more carnation-y, less frankincensy and rosy than All Saints. I don't get heavy-lidded sensuality from this as much as a gentle yet sultry and exotic femininity. On me it is a spicy floral with undertones of incense, and the carnation dominates. The neroli behaves itself and is not too prominent or sharp.

A real winner, and I wish I had more than one bottle.

Edited by Chrysantza

Gypsy Queen is deep, red rose and incense. It's a beautiful blend. Despite being deep and dark, it's soft and subtle, and doesn't have hardly any throw. It starts to fade fast right around the 1 hour 45 minute point after application. Gypsy Queen is a pretty scent and I'm glad I have had an opportunity to try it. If a bottle of it were to fall in my lap, I'd use it and enjoy it, but I'm not crazy enough about to hunt high and low for more of it.

(Original '05 version) Hmm, this sounds like it could be quite good on me. Rose is one of those florals I tend to be able to wear.

In the vial - Wow, there's bergamont and neroli hardcore in this. I can't smell anything but!

Wet - Heavy, heavy bergamont, which I do love, in a creamy sort of fashion. Not at all what I was expecting.

Drying - I'm not sure what a Romany incense would smell like, but I'm picking up a sweeter incense in this. (Sort of like a nag champa type.) The citrus is still very much at the fore, with the florals dancing behind it. It's creamy and lovely, probably getting the creaminess from the amber musk.

Dry (20 minutes) - Well, it's fading fast. Mostly just the incense with the musk now, although it's still creamy and lovely. Wish the bergamont would stick around a bit longer.

Overall - This is NICE. I really do love the smell, but it fades so fast and has no throw on me at all. :P If only it had more staying power, it would be a keeper for sure...

I have a bottle of the '06 version coming and I received an imp of the '05 version in a swap.

Gypsy Queen just smells sort of thin on me. I don't quite know how to explain what I'm smelling apart from its almost like a bit of the scent is missing, or I am just not smelling it right. It is thin and hot (the incense?) and floral. It seems to be missing a base note and just doesn't feel "grounded" for want of a better word. I can't even say if I like it or not as there isn't much for me to smell. It really is very odd.

I'm hoping that my imp is an aberration and that my bottle actually smells of scent!!

bottle:

incense and light floral

wet:

more floral than I expected - a musky floral with a hint of incense

dry:

still a light floral - not what I expected at all!

overall:

I like it but I'm not sure I need a whole bottle…

rating: 7/10

This bottle was received fresh from the Lab in 2006

In the bottle: I'm surprised--this is MUCH lighter than I thought it was going to be. I get smoke, which is good--always good--but everything else is in the background. I know there are other elements, but nothing is screaming at me.

Wet: OMGBBQ!!!!! Beautiful smokiness upon hitting skin. It's like a more feminine Herr Drosselmeyer. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<clears through, regains composure> Now I smell the wax of the candles--this is candles all the way when it is wet.

Drydown and wear: Oh, why did I only get one bottle? I could bathe in this. It is divine, wonderful, fantastic, etc., etc. Mmmm...it is the type of scent that clings lightly to everything and thus seems to be an integral part of everything, despite being very light, as others have mentioned. The candle wax takes on a more distinctly floral character as the scent dries. The initial strong smokiness fades (such a shame), but what remains is lovely. I'm not getting any of the citrus that I expected to find in this blend, but that is OK, because I love what is here.

:P This is absolutely fabulous!!!!!! Mystery shrouded feminine...... Oh, Beth, why was this a limited edition? I'll never be able to maintain a supply. But the genius is at work!

Bottle: powdery incense and rose

Wet: powdery incense, rose, spicy carnation

Dry: the powder disappears into spicy incense, (it's reminding me of superhit incense, one of my favorites) rose, a little sweet neroli and bergamot, and soft musk in the background

Throw: medium

I am definitely reminded of soft velvet fabric giving off the accumulated scents of card after card reading. There is a sense of mystery to this scent, depth. The rose and the musk add such softness to the spicy sweet incense, it's gorgeous.

In the bottle: This is all incense smoke and rose. It smells just like what you'd think a gypsy caravan would smell like!

On me: I absolutely love this scent. It's very well blended, yet I can smell each note and how it fades and connects with the next note. This was the first BPAL bottle I ever ordered and it didn't disappoint. This is a very special, exotic, unique scent. I've never smelled anything quite like it before.

Verdict: I adore this. I don't wear it enough, and I wish I had another bottle of it, though I'm not likely to find one. This is an incredible blend!

Rating: 5/5

In the Bottle: Smoky, spicy incense. Peppery. Strangely sweet. How complex!

On Application: Lots of pepper, a little orange, but the sweet side of orange, which must be neroli. A touch of resin, and very gentle earthy florals. Very interesting.

On Drydown: Mmmm, the neroli is very strong, but very sweet. It's what I love about citrus, but without the sourness I got from Fortunato… the sweetness of the floral aspect of it really balances nicely with the rich resin that lies beneath it. A touch of red rose sneaks in at the end. It smells very much like incense, but before it's burned. The smokiness I smelled while it was in the bottle disappeared, along with the pepper.

Comments: Quite lovely. This is not at all what I was expecting from the name, I imagined something much darker. This is bright, but well balanced by resin. I didn't think I would like it at first from what I smelled in the bottle, but I'm glad I stuck through the drydown. I could see getting more of this.

Verdict: Definitely keep the imp, and try to track down some more.

In the imp, tart, almost candy-like berries.

On skin I immediately get a tangy lemon rind scent with a light, powdery spiciness in the background. After about fifteen minutes it's more like Lemonheads candies with a *very* subtle smokiness hovering around. It ends up a super light, powdery sweet candy scent with the incense and smoke trying hard to come through but never quite succeeding *sigh*. I like it enough to try it again, though :P

Gypsy Queen is a lighter, more delicate scent than I was expecting from the description; it wears close to the skin, and it doesn't last as long as some BPALs I've tried. But its subtlety is a very good thing. It's a light, sweet floral in the bottle, which morphs into floral-smokiness on my skin. The "candle smoke" note is amazing -- I don't know how Beth manages to bottle that, but that's exactly what it smells like at first: a candle that's just been blown out. I also get little whiffs of whatever component gives La Petite Mort its "skin scent" quality, and a little fruitiness from the bergamot, and some incense in the background. The floral and incense and smoky notes all come in and out of focus while I'm wearing it. The incense keeps it from getting too sweet and flowery.

Verdict: Gorgeous. I'm so glad I went with my instinct and ordered this!

I had to edit this, because I jumped too fast on the review.

In the bottle, it wasn't anything special... even after a couple of minutes on, eh.

But THEN....

about five minutes into wearing it, it bloomed. WOW! The listed notes were all there, but they swirled around, teasing my nose. It got richer and more complex with every passing minute, until I was walking around with my arm next to my face, because I couldn't get enough of it.

Whew. Anyone got a cigarette?

Edited by Melantha

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a word or two: Rosy incense.

Preconceived notions: The carnation and amber musk sound wonderful; the other notes, however...

In the imp: Smoke, amber, musk, carnation, and just a hint of rose.

On skin, wet: Rose, amber musk and carnation. Slightly smokey, but nothing overpowering. Yet.

On skin, dry: Musky, smokey rose. Rose is always very strong on my skin, so I'm not surprised it's become a rose-heavy scent, but I'm still a little disappointed. The rose is a bit sour and bitter, and the incense is just too strong.

Conclusion/Notes: Nope, not for me.

This scent comes out as smokey, musky incense on me. It's very nice (though it's much different than what I usually wear), and I'll try it a few more times before I decide if I'm going to swap it away or keep it.

rating: 3/5

In the bottle: Amber and neroli overlaid with incense. Maybe a hint of the carnation, but otherwise not floral. The neroli is the strongest of the notes by far. Smells lovely.

On the skin: Orange/neroli very strongly at first, then that fades and the amber and carnation come out (it reminds me a bit of LUSH's Potion at this stage). It changes even further as it dries, and I can really smell the bergamot now. The rose and incense are there but not overpowering, and there's a lovely creaminess to the final dry-down.

Verdict: It's a pretty complex scent, spicy and floral and just a tiny bit fruity. Medium throw. I do like it initially, but I'm not sure I'll wear it much -- it isn't an instant favorite. We'll see, though.

Headshop. Like fresh Nag Champa. Resin and powdery florals and smoke.

Then it dries down to the smell that is my crazy, pill addicted, sweaty neighbor. What the hell?! :D Sorry for the unencouraging review, but this is just TOO close to the way this guy smells!

I wanted to love this. :P

This is very "perfumey" to my nose, a dense floral musk. As it dries, it unravels a little, and I can detect the incense and neroli individually.

After a while, the musk becomes...not feral, but something a little too close to the skin, to my nose. It overpowers the other notes, and it isn't pleasant. Off to swaps!

In imp:

At first there is this wonderful, lovely rich sweetness and a little candle smoke...then on second sniff all I can think of is...bubblegum!

on wet:

now I smell like spicy bubblegum.

Dry:

I am getting a bit of a vanilla-like smell, which I like...but VERY SADLY, the other notes have totally turned to powder or soap on me.

SUMMARY: ALAS! Wanted to like this one too, because I really like neroli and bergamot and thought they would be nice with the other things. One to trade.

:P

Like Alice but all grown up and so much sexier. Which is fortunate for me because I only like Alice when it's aged and my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend is named Alice and I despise having to wear her her name, bleh.

But yes. Gypsy Queen. Delicious. It's soft and warm and alluring and exactly what I would imagine a gypsy to smell like! Think Esmeralda from Hunchback of Notre Dame, the DIsney cartoon! So beautiful, but not too incens-y, headshopp-y, etc. I'm definitely going to hunt down a bottle.

In the Imp -Spicy, sweetly spicy. I think I found the carnation.

Wet on skin - Heavier, stronger. There's rose there but it's subtle. I'm getting the lighter notes of bergamot. The Gods only know where the neroli is hiding. Smoke and incense slipping through now as well.

Dry on skin - I found the rose now but the carnation has sweetened it. Not so sure about this. I'll give it a while longer to settle.

Later - OK, it's gorgeous. Heavy rose without being overwhelming and delicious musky spice. This is decadent. I'm sorry there won't be more of this ....

Still on the fence with this one. It smells nice but there is an underlying scent I don't care for and I can't put my finger on it. At first I thought this *had* to have honey in it (because that is usually what blows a scent for me) but after reviewing the ingredients I am stumped. It smells "off", kind of that sweaty smell that honey gives me. But there is so much floral going in it somewhat masks it.