Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Spices of the Orient mingle with crystalline musk, midnight flowers and cereus, jasmine, primrose and vesper iris.

Bottle: ....I just got....stampeded...by flowers. Holy crap. I think the musk is hiding in there though. No spices. SPICEEES! HELLOOO?

Wet: Hm...I dunno what this flower is but...it's not too bad. Kinda turned a bit sweet. But...this is hurting my head a little.

Dry: Hey! This ain't too bad! Though I don't think I'd wear this often. Too floral for my head to handle...But I still don't hate it. ^^

EDIT:

OH GODS.

Nevermind. It went Psycho-Floral on me and is now beating me to a pulp. Not cool. X_x

Edited by RavenVelith

In the imp, this smells clear, slightly spicy, a bit musky and not too floral. Really good. In the imp, I think this might me one of my OMG, I have to have this scent! Once on, the jasmine shows up immediately, drowning out the spice, musk, and clear coolness. Behind the jasmine, I can smell tuberose faintly. Wow, as this wears, there’s something in here that reminds me of MB: Underpants – I think there must some a bit of saffron in here.

I like this a lot but there sure is a lot of jasmine in here.

Bottle: a chill, transparent floral musk. very chill.

Wet: same wet. so far, so good.

Dry: helloooo cereus. oh drat, and I was so looking forward to this one, too. :P please stop amping. please?

Later: dueling amps - cereus and jasmine. I think I'd prefer dueling banjos, if I had to choose. cloying and... :D damnitdamnitdamnit.

In the vial: Musk, jasmine, spice

On me: This scent is really lovely. The musk truly does smell "crystalline" as the lab's description states, and the jasmine and other florals are strong without being too overpowering. I like this scent a lot. It gets spicier as it dries.

Verdict: Keeper. No need for a bottle, but I like this one.

Rating: 4/5

This is a beautiful fragrance, very evocative. It's smooth and sweet, calming even; yet somehow remote and "cold," like a star. I'm not normally one who goes for florals, but this works on me. It's not suffocatingly floral. All the notes seem to blend easily into a smoothy, musky, sweet scent. I've ordered a bottle of this and am looking forward to wearing it on starry, clear summer nights. :P

Zorya is incredibly heady and strong on me, as well as very perfume-like. It’s almost overpowering until it begins to dry down. Iris and I don’t usually mix well, neither do I mix well with jasmine, and the fact that this blend has both in it is pretty frightening to me initially. However, as it dries down, it takes on a soft floral quality and the headiness recedes. The jasmine and iris are still the dominant notes, however, which means that this is just never going to be my favorite scent, or one I’d probably ever consider wearing over the other blends that are much, much closer to my heart. Fabulous throw, and moderately good staying power.

Zorya surprised me. My skin normally amps up jasmine a good bit (which I totally don't mind, I love it) and in Zorya, I'm getting more of the spice and the musk than I am the jasmine. This was a pleasant surprise, though, and I'm really pleased with this blend - it smells like this should be a really super-expensive blend from one of the big Paris perfume company. Love it! :P

In the imp: A very pretty floral.

Wet: The florals back off a bit, and here are the spices!

Dry: It all settles down to a blend where I can smell the spices and flowers equally. It is a perfect balance; floral enough so that it's not just another spice blend, and spicy enough so that it's a floral I'll wear.

Keeper!

i hate jasmine...

at first, that's all i can smell. sniffed from the bottle and wet on skin, is JASMINE.

as it dries, the jasmine fades back a little and the spices, musk, and iris come out to play.

(not spices like chai or pumpkin pie, but more like chinese five-spice or allspice)

the "midnight flowers" (the real reason i wanted to try this blend) never do bloom for me, but the much-hated jasmine finally goes away.

i'm wondering if there might be red musk in this...i'm getting a similar scent-feel from this as i do from other blends where the red musk shows up as a burnt-plastic/musk/rubber scent that never can quite decide which it wants to be when it grows up.

sortof like the intentional "burned" note in Midway.

if Samhain '05 was too sweet... imagine taking away all the sugar and sweet notes, and just the spice notes that were left, that's what this reminds me of.

glad i have a bottle, but i think i'll add it to my i-will-decant-from-this list.

just a quick edit to add a small fact: i've only worn this once since the day i did this review, and that's just now tonight as i spilled a drop on my hand while doing a decant.

i don't think i need to keep this bottle...

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

I am getting the feeling I do not like jasmine.

I get the jasmine and the musk and a touch of spice. I just fear that Zorya is too jasmine-y, spicy, not me at all.

I had hopes for her.

Strike two out of three Zoryas. Maybe Utrennyaya will do it.

In the bottle: I can barely catch a whiff of a soft musky floral, lightly spiced.

Wet: A quiet floral reminiscent of a mother humming to herself as she prepares for bed after banking the fire for the night.

Drying down: This flares brighter for a moment as I rub it in a little, then darkens further. She may be watching over, but Zorya is not about to wake anyone up if she doesn’t have to.

Dry: This is an interesting blend. The musk is really carrying the florals for me. For such a quiet scent, it has decent throw. It makes me want a nicely-tailored, long, full, flowing, black skirt to wear with it.

Later: This fades to a sweet, musky floral. Some might say it’s powdery, but I like it. The musk has the most staying power, which on me is a positive. This scent is like eveningwear for my skin: serious, adult, gorgeous. This goes to prove that florals can sometimes work on me.

Holy shit batman! This one really took me by surprise. I am generally afraid of jasmine simply because the floral garlands that you hang in front of your buddha image here in Thailand or offer at a spirit house or at a Wat almost always contain jasmine and it is very heady. I can only take it in small doses.

Wet this one is mostly musk with flowers that most definitely give you the feel of night. And the jasmine is there but not with force. There is also a faint tinge of smoke lurking in the background.

Dry this is one of the most awesome scents. Reminds me of an ultra classy and non-pretentious woman. Someone who is sure of herself and doesn't have to prove ANYTHING to ANYONE.

NEED

A

BOTTLE

OF

THIS

ONE

NOW!!!!

Zorya is very very flowery. However, it is a very light scent and not overpowering at all. I can only make out jasmine and musk but I know there are other floral notes in this. This is a very genteel, ladylike perfume.

This is a nice, sweet flower scent on me. I am absolutely awful at picking out individual notes, but I think iris and jasmine love me! I get relatively no musk from it. I won't buy a bottle of this because it's a bit too tame and run-of-the-mill perfume for my tastes, but once again, Beth is amazing with florals!

Urgh. This one was an instant headache on me. All flowers. Just ... WHAM! I hit you in the head with my bouquet!

I put up with it for several hours just to see if anything would change, but no. All I got was ... I think the jasmine, and nothing else. No spices, no musk. I haven't worn a lot of perfume before, so I'm not sure if my skin amplifies florals, but I'm beginning to think it does.

It really isn't my kind of thing. I'm glad it was my frimp. :P; I think it would be very pretty on my mom-in-law ... it's much more her kind of scent than mine.

Zorya-

In Bottle: Very pretty bright florals mixed with spice. Cinnamony spice.

Wet: Not so much spice. More just the pretty florals.

Dry: Unfortunately this dries down fairly unremarkably. I am just not that big a fan of most florals.

Overall: Not for me, but that's not the scent's fault.

In the Bottle Sweet jasmine with a hint of Oriental spice

On Me - Wet At first, jasmine and iris but some musk quickly floated to the top. A sweetness I can't place (maybe crystalline musk??). Can't stop sniffing

On Me -Dry This fades down to a beautiful soft Oriental musk. It's just so... me!

I must buy a bottle of this ASAP!

Scent: Zorya

Bottle: For once, I actually think I smell frankincense and myrrh (I usually can't pick them up). And something sharp-sweet, like dragon's blood. It's a very resiny sort of scent to me, thick and heavy, but in quite a nice way.

Wet: It just got sharper on my skin, almost a piney scent. This reminds me of ...something... I've smelled at Esoterica, but I can't place it - like one of the super-good loose incenses.

First Break: I completely missed all my timing on this. At some point during the early part of the day, I do recall thinking that a.) this had a nice incense-y smell, and b.) it had a throw like De Sade (which I still need to review).

Lunch: Way after lunch, there's a little of this left if I press my nose to my wrist. It's somewhere between Nag Champa and copal - ever-so-faintly bitter floral woodsy... Falls firmly into the yum category, though not the OMGMUSTHAVE category.

I got this as a frimp in a swap, and not being a floral person, put off trying it.

Sadly, when I finally did try it, it turned to bad motel soap on my arm, and I had to wash it off.

Zorya is a very "pretty" perfume oil that reminds be a bit of Danube. Between the musk and the pollen-sharp floral the throw becomes intrusive for me. For night-blooming flowers, I'd stay with Midnight.

I love jasmine and iris. I really do. I was so excited for Zorya that I bought a bottle unsniffed. I was all "oooh, jasmine! iris! musk! yay!"

For the first hour and a half of wearing it, it is spiky, painful spices with nondescript florals in the background.

Finally, the spices die down a bit and I get a hint of jasmine and some musk. No iris.

The drydown's nice but I really dislike the drying process. I'm going to see if it works better on my mom. Otherwise, it's off to the swaps.

Initial impression: This is a LOT more subtle than I figured it'd be, given the list of notes, but this is subtle in a GOOD way. It's also very nicely blended, in the vial, and wet on my skin, it just gives me hints of notes rather than whapping me in the face with one note after another.

Wearing: This is all about the jasmine, and the other slightly aquatic floral note in the beginning, on me. It goes through a real temperature shift with me, starting out very "cool", and warming up considerably as the spices come out. This is a much more Oriental blend as it dries.

Verdict: I really enjoyed the drydown process on this one, and was thinking, yupyupyup, will be getting a large bottle of this in the near future. However, after an hour or so, I'm getting the occasional "Motel 6 soap" smell, which is too bad, but many florals seem to go that way with me. Sigh.

in vial: musk and deep florals.

wet on skin: definitely spices, warm light spices, and musk. primrose and iris floating over the top, and jasmine.

drydown, after ten minutes: sweet spices and musk, dark florals.

After an hour: Gorgeous! Perfectly balanced spice and floral, with musk thrown in for good measure. This is very warm and sensual.