Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
harlequin

Chaos Theory II : The Butterfly Effect

Each bottle of Chaos Theory is truly unique, a fragrant fractal, and exercise in the joy of chance and uncertainty! Each is a one-of-a-kind, utterly random combination of scents, the composition of which is based on whim, mood and gut instinct.

CT2 CCCLXXXVIII

Bottle (Imp): This smells like it has flowers and anise in it to me.

Just On: I smell flowers, and I smell anise. It seems like there is something else playing around the edges as well.

An hour or two later: I still smell anise, and flowers.

Around 6 hours: Some flowers, a touch of anise.

12 hours: All gone.

Overall: I like this one as well. I wish the anise stood out more, but I'll be keeping a bit of this bottle for myself as well.

(Last reviewed by yeahbutnobut.)

CT2 CCCLXXXII

Bottle (Imp): This smells creamy, possibly a little floral, and rather fresh.

Just On: This almost takes on a watery tone with all the other things I described above.

An hour or two later: Quite watery, not creamy now, and fresh.

Around 6 hours: Watery and creamy.

12 hours: Bits of water and cream.

Overall: I like this one, and though I am swapping some of it, will keep a bit for myself as well.

CT2 DXVI

Bottle (Imp): It's BLUE! Ouch, and very much lavender.

Just On: All I am getting is lavender. Nothing else at all.

An hour or two later: That mild lavender skin scent. It's just so hard to wait for the drydown to get this. Lavender always seems to completely take over a blend, so much so that most lavender blends tend to be very similar to the SN on me.

Around 6 hours: Faint lavender 'me' scent. If it started out this nice, I'd probably like lavender a whole lot more.

12 hours: Stale lavender.

Overall: Since lavender seems to just blast it's way through in most scents that contain it, I'm careful about it. This is not one I'll be likely to keep.

Chaos Theory VIII

Origin:

Imp from ~AmusedMuse~

Preconceived notions:

I honestly don't remember what this is supposed to smell like, so I really don't know what to expect. :P

First sniff:

Minty! There seem to be quite a few minty CT2's floating around out there, which is fine by me. This smells very similar to my spearmint CT2 in the imp...there might be something a little grassy in the background of VIII, too, though.

Wet on skin:

Soft and minty. Like fresh mint leaves, not peppermint oil or candy canes. There is something grassy here, too. It's very subtle, but it's definitely there. It's an unusual combination and I'm not quite sure if it's working for me.

Dry down:

Grass and mint and something vaguely herbal. This is really unusual. I'm not sure if it's pretty or just plain strange. It's one of those scents and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it. :D

The bottom line:

I'm not sure if I like this enough to keep it or not. It's different - very different - but I'm not quite sure that translates to "pretty."

Previously reviewed by Olympia301, ~AmusedMuse~ and Gin

Ok, here we go, into lunges... (heh)

DCXX (620)

In the Bottle: Cherry, berry, saccharine insanity - bit of strawberry, bit of the bubbly (uh oh - there's champagne and fruit here). Me and Bon Vivant do not get along in the slightest - though the initial impression is a psychotic cacaphony of red and violet fruits which pleases me. It is, however, making my nose tingle and that's a sure sign of a champage note.

Wet: Blackberry, blueberry, strawberry - all floating in a chilled glass of champage.

Drydown: Berries soften - a white floral comes up - and then it settles into the boozy bubble of champage. Seems like there's a touch (like the barest drop) of vanilla in here to cream everything up a little. (I'm wondering if this is a dessert wine on my wrist and not a perfume) Surprising.

Verdict: This morning it made me sneeze, now I'm contemplating. I love the berries and the initial sweetness, even as it turns somewhat tart because of the champagne it does have a life of its own. Rather lovely, though perhaps not something I would have chosen for myself.

CDXCI (491)

In the Bottle: Hellllooo Lah-lah-lavender! There's a floral and just the barest daub of green underneath - but both are extremely pale.

Wet: Lavender to green - sage maybe - fading extremely fast and slipping into a white floral bouquet. It pinks up a bit (yes, pinks) and then we step into drydown. (The scent is fading rapidly at this point)

Drydown: Lavender's gone entirely, now the florals are rising fast and furious. Lily - what kind of lily - I have no idea, and violet. Sharp, sexy, and very powerful. This is like the uber-femine warrior-goddess floral. Two hours in and the throw just gaining momentum. It plateaus around 3 hours and tapers off a little. Very nice evolution - very distinctive as it progresses. Funny, I thought the lavender would have stuck around longer.

Verdict: a keeper, though I might not wear it that often, it's definately an inderesting combination.

Chaos Theory 2, DXXIX (529)

In the bottle: sweet, slightly fruity, more sugary with a hint of mint.

Wet, on skin: still sweetly fruity, but minty too... not peppermint, I am thinking possibly spearmint, but it's too faint to tell.

Drying down, about 15 minutes later: something a bit powdery is coming out slowly. So far still mostly sweet, with a distinct spearmint edge to it.

Overall thoughts: I am normally more of a peppermint person, but this has a lovely crispness and coolness to it. I think it will be great for super-hot days, and I may try it again later as the heat index here is supposed to be around 105°F.

Chaos Theory 2 - DCIII(603)

In the bottle this smells of TCP, but it also smells 'thick' like heavy duty cough medicine. There is also a slightly fruity edge, but I think that might be the cough medicine association.

Wet on me TCP is still the predominant scent and I've got a slight burning sensation on my skin.

10 minutes - It's becoming lemony, in fact lemon sherbet, but the TCP is still predominant.

20 minutes - On one arm it's disappeared entirely on the other it's sugary lemon with TCP in the background.

30 minutes - It's a very faint lemon sherbet scent.

40 minutes - The entire blend is almost entirely gone.

50 minutes - And now it's gone entirely :P .

Chaos Theory 2 - DCLXII (662)

In my bottle - my initial impression was white wine vinegar but a further sniff suggests the bubble gum scent of lotus.

Wet on me - slightly soapy and slightly peppery bubble gum.

10 minutes - Powdery rose, with the lotus still there in the background.

20 minutes - It's become a pretty, rounded floral, the rose and the lotus are still the most prominant notes, but there are others in the background I can't identify.

4 hours - It's faded now, after staying pretty much the same. It's pretty, but not really me.

Chaos Theory CLXXX:

In the bottle: Pineapple and booze. Creamy, grog-like booze, but then it turns into straight up vodka.

Wet on skin: This is DEFINITELY pineapple, with the creamy rum scent behind it. Oh my hell, it's so foody and strong!

As it dries: This takes a pretty unsuspecting turn when a heavy floral note begins to emerge. It's really hard to pin down, but it smells white. After a couple of minutes, it begins to remind me a bit of Glitter, but less gaudy, and I can't figure out why. The heavy floral note disappears, or maybe it just turns into...

OH MY GOD, PEAR! A juicy, ripe pear, with a rough skin. It's the same pear from Glitter, Thalia, and La Belle au Bois Dormant. It's an absolutely gorgeous note. At this point, I can definitely smell white musk that gives this an effervescent, ethereal quality. I can't believe how different this smells.

Completely dry: The white musk calms down. It's less bubbly and more calm and mellow. It still has a tropical quality about it, but it doesn't scream, "HEY! I'M IN THE BAHAMAS. LOOK AT ME, WOO, PINEAPPLE!" The pineapple is still there, but it blends very nicely with everything else, and remains right inbetween the white musk and the pear.

SDJFLJSDFLJSDF!! So in love.

This is so beautiful. I'm really pissed that I got turned off of BPAL right when The Butterfly Effect was released, because I was planning on ordering a lot of it. Next time it comes around, I'm definitely going all out. This is SUCH a keeper. Thank you to NoirRosaleen, who I swapped for this. :P

(Last reviewed by NoirRosaleen.)

Chaos Theory II: LXXIV (74)

I am not good at picking out notes typically, and my CT is really hard to describe, but I'll give it a shot.

Wet, out of the bottle: This smells very incensy with a touch of fruit. It's really familiar, and I'm not sure why. I can't tell if this smells like a BPAL I've tried, or if it just sort of has "that BPAL smell"

Wet on skin: This scent starts to develop a little more, I'm still getting incense, but I think there may be some woody notes here, too. The fruit note is still here faintly, as well. Oh, wait! This has the same undertone as Ides of March, in fact this reminds me of a less sharp, incensy version of Idea of March with a slight fruit note.

Drydown: Like Ides of March, this fades really quickly on me. Actually, no, it doesn't fade - I can smell it when I push my nose into my wrist. It's one of those "skin scents" I think. When I catch wafts, its more the fruit than the Ides of March base. And now I recognize the fruit note, it's the same sniff I get from Queen of Clubs, so it's either currant or pomegranate. I'm guessing currant, becuase this smells nothing like Swank to me.

Conclusion: This is a really odd scent, I don't think I've ever tried a BPAL quite like it. My best comparison is the Queen of Clubs top notes over the Ides of March base notes. It's not entirely me, though, and the lack of throw is a bummer. I'm not sure yet if I'll keep or swap, but at this point I can't see myself reaching for it much.

Edited by Batgirl

Chaos Theory 2: DCLXXV

I got an imp of this in a swap, and while it's quite lovely, it doesn't seem to jibe with my body chemistry. It's a sharply-sweet mixture of Strawberry, Cherry, and possibly some other fruit (pineapple? Remember, I suck at notes!), with a base of herbs and earthiness. I like it, but fruits tend to be too strong on me. Hopefully it'll work better on its next owner.

Chaos Theory 2: XXII

This one I *love*! It's a mixture of herbs - rosemary, thyme, basil, and god knows what else, all blended together perfectly with a base that makes me think of fresh sweet grass after a rain. I'd been looking for an herbal mix in addition to my beloved The Apothecary, and this one fits perfectly for those days when I want to smell a tiny bit sweeter. Wearing this makes me feel like I've spent the day picking herbs in the sunshine. I'm swapping out a few imps, so that I can try other scents, but the majority of this bottle stays with me :P

(Last reviewed by bloodpoppies.)

CT2 DXVI-

Got this in a swap (I really don't remember with who. I barely remember my namein this horrendous heat.). Its blue. A very lovely blue (that doesn't show on my skin, thank goodness)

In the vial- Mint.

Wet- Pineapple? Strong pineapple. Lasts for aout 45 seconds- 1 min before changing. I can't quite identify it. Slightly floral, sweet and minty.

Dry- Leaves, mint, flowers, honey and a slight hint of coconut....if this was a tea I'd be in tea heaven. A lovely, lovely scent. Very cooling.

(Last reviewed by OriginalWacky.)

CT2 VIII

(sorry for double posting, but I'm going to do 2 at a time until I catch up on my backlog)

In the imp- Mint and...something. This reminds me of a marshmallow plant.

Wet- Mint. A very green mint, not a cool white mint. This reminds me of the wintergreen altoids. Mmm.

Dry- Sill mint. Very clean and long lasting.

(Last reviewed by Penance.)

CT2 CDXXXI (is that 431, I think?)

Wow, this one really illustrates the difference between in the bottle and on skin!

In the bottle: Creamy, slightly minty... like a mintier Chaste Moon. Nice, but not knocking my socks off. In fact, it took me a while to get round to trying it on.

On skin: It just explodes into juiciness! I'm getting citrus - grapefruit and lime, I think - mint, night-blooming jasmine, and a bit of ginger. And there's a tart sweetness to it all, as though all those scents were combined into a sour candy. It's really fresh and tart and lovely, a great scent for a hot day.

Now that it's been on a few minutes, there's a bit of greenness coming in too.

Edited to add that it's also got just the SLIGHTEST whiff of melon, like a melon liqueur.

Edited by theshapeshifter

Chaos Theory CLIII

In the vial: Gender-neutral and.. a tiny bit woodsy. I already don't like this. The first thing that came to mind is cedar, but it must be very light, if it's there at all.

On my skin: This is difficult to pin down. I detect something slightly minty, I think there may be balsam in here. There's something a little calming, floral but not quite floral. I thought it might be lavender, but then it disappeared altogether. I recognize the slight woodiness of fir. When I was going through note possibilities, it struck me as having most of the notes of Dracul, minus the clove and orange blossom. I think I detect sage or something similar.

It reminds me of a little cottage in the woods, where a matronly woman is sticking her hand into a wooden cabinet full of dried herbs. It's light, spicy, and a little autumnal. It wafts, but it isn't overpowering. I was scared of it at first, but it's.. simply okay.

So, the definite notes are fir, balsam, and mint. Possibilities are juniper and oakmoss. There may be bergamot in here to sweeten it up. I don't smell any musk or amber.

I think someone with tastes similar to sarada's would appreciate this more.

Chaos Theory II: CDLI (451)

Oh. My. God! I don't know if I should be thrilled because I have found my one true scent, or depressed because I can never ever get any more of this. But since I have a bottle, I choose to be happy! When someone was looking to swap their ginger/vanilla Chaos Theory for a bottle of Gnome, and I had a bottle of Gnome I was looking to swap, it seemed like Fate at work. It was!

Wet - ginger and vanilla.

Dry - At first I was thinking more Gingerbread Poppet, but no, as this dries I get cardamom, nutmeg, pepper, and possibly clove. This is Shub-Nigguarth with vanilla, and is the most "me" scent there could possibly be. This is exactly the scent I have been looking for and I couldn't love it any more than I do now. Initally the throw is moderate, but after about an hour it fades and I smell...smoke? Hmmm, not sure what that's doing there, but I don't mind it. I am left with a light skin scent of vanilla, spices and smoke. Absolute perfection.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 5+

edited to add the name. Doh!

(Last reviewed by strippedhalo.)

Edited by Shollin

Chaos Theory II - CXXVIII (128)

Also reviewed by roesmoker.

At first, I thought cinnamon, and I still think there may be some of it here, but this is more sweetly mint. Not bright peppermint... a mint like a cool breeze of fresh air. Then it warms a bit and makes me think of summer and mint gum. It smells like my car did when I accidentally left a pack of Doublemint in it in the summer heat. :P

Edited by Gin

Chaos Theory II: CLXXIV (174)

This is a bottle I bought on eBay, pretty much blind, as the person selling it stuck to the Chaos Theory spirit and didn't describe the notes.

In the bottle: Gum! Mint gum! I can't think of the name of the flavour, but it's the dark green kind. Delicious.

Wet on skin: Still mint gum, with maybe a tiny hint of cinnamon. Something kind of spicy, in any case. Mostly true to the mint gum of the bottle, though.

Drydown: Around two hours in, I'm starting to suspect that the "cinnamon" might actually be cedar. It's a really warm, comforting scent, whatever it is, and the mint seems to be keeping it from taking over and becoming King Cedar (cedar + my skin generally = Cedar Day Parade).

Overall: This is just such a lovely scent. I'm so happy that it came to me, I can't stop sniffing my wrists!

CCCXXXIV - Wow, a bright, sunny floral.  Definitely a pink/yellow scent for me.  I'm not very good at identifying specific notes without a description, but I'll do my best.  Magnolia, rose, lily maybe?  There might be a little jasmine in there too.  It's very feminine and perfumey, quite lovely.

QueenFae and I swapped CT2 bottles (my DXLII for her CCCXXXIV). This is a very bright, slightly sweet floral. It's quite light and summery, perfect for the hot weather we've been having. I can't pick out any specific floral notes either, but it's what a bouquet of mixed summery flowers smells like from across the room. It's very lovely, indeed... and while I am normally not much of a flowery person, I can see myself wearing this frequently. :P

Chaos Theory II: XVII (17)

In the bottle~juicy, not too sweet, berries. *Very* subtle strawberry being the most prominent.

Just applied~A creamy almond makes an appearance among the berries, then after a few minutes I get a very light, sweet incense with a touch of cedar.

Nice throw. Next to skin, almond is stronger~at arm's length, I get more of the berries.

Lovely!!

Got this from mobilejessie but I couldn't find the review. However, here it is reviewed by Penance :P

I swapped my CT2 with Subbes, so now I have CCCXXIX. It has been previously reviewed twice, and you can view Penance's Review here and then follow the link to Subbes' review.

On to mine:

First, my nose/skin chemistry seems much closer to Penance than Subbes. I got no spice, no dragon's blood.

In the bottle, this is oddly green and slightly astringent, slightly herbal. At first, I had no idea what that scent was, though I'll hazard a guess in a moment.

On, it is all creamy floral with a strong citrus note. Or not quite citrus. Its not lemon, and its not mandarin--absolutely not grapefruit. I understood why Subbes guessed lemongrass because it something that smells like citrus but isn't. I let one of my friends smell it on me and she said, yuck! too much citrus, its overpowering...then, its not quite citrus is it?

The floral--creamy white--was naggingly familiar.

then I read Penance's review. Of course! It's neroli! But I went and tested it against my single notes and it is not quite neroli, but matches my single note (not BPAL) called sweet orange. My understanding is that orange blossom=neroli, but I could be wrong here....in any case, the note is very like AuraCacia's sweet orange. And to test it against a BPAL scent, yes, I can smell a very similiar note in Vixen which has neroli in it.

As for the astringent green? Could very well be petitgrain, which is the unripe tiny green oranges, which smell like crushed leaves.

There is still a creamy note I can't figure out, and something slightly sweet which I thought might be honey at first but now I'm not convinced. I don't get spice or tea though I wish I would.

So for me CT2 CCCXXIX is neroli and petitgrain, with another mystery note. Its nice, but not me, so I guess I'll swap this one too!

CXX (120):

1st try: Sort of floral, sort of sweet, all the notes are very faint and vague to me.

2nd try: floral/air freshener.

Sadly, this one's not for me - off to swaps you go!

Previously reviewed by laochodia.

Purchased from an alchemylab LJ member:

CT2 DL11 (552)

Bottle: Sort of a very light cinnamonish scent with cream and a slight touch of very whispy mint.

Worn:

Lasts a decent time, not much cinnamon- more of a creamy spice. Nutmeg maybe? Light dose of mint. Really reminiscant of Chaste Moon (cream wise) and Frost Moon (light mint from that).

Nice scent!