Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Siberian Musk

Let me start out by saying that any musk reviews I do are pretty likely to be different based on body chemistry. Musk scents just tend to do something funky on me, although I wish it were otherwise. That disclaimer aside ...

Another great start with the Siberian Musk. Velvety, almost ambery and mildly green, in a sweet, subtle way. This is the "pepsi-cola/fizzy" note that's been mentioned a couple of times, I think, and it's absolutely stunning. Grabs your attention, and in a sexy, sensual way, not an in-heat sort of way.

I wonder if this is the effervescent quality that I've found in some of the Tarot blends. It's similar in tone, although not in actual scent - those are so complex, sometimes I can just get a general impression, rather than an actual scent, though.

This is the least "obvious" of the musks Beth uses (at least on me; don't forget the disclaimer at the top), and has the least of the slightly artificial note. While I really like this one, too, it's the most masculine, although not in a blatant way.

I'm just the opposite, I love musks and they looove me. I fell in love with this one. It reminds me of an old-fashioned men's aftershave. It is very masculine but because it has a hint of sweetness about it, it's perfect for a girl too. I can see wearing this often. I must try and get some of this onto my husband. SWOON!

OMG! When I first opened the bottle I was like, "this is the scent that makes me swoon over Snake Oil!" It's definitely a dark musk. But it has that hint of eastern spices and warm vanilla that is very reminiscent of Snake Oil.

When I put this on, it turned more animalistic on me and is a bit sharp. I smell amber in this as well. When I get whiffs of myself sitting here I swoon, but if I put my nose to my skin and smell, it gets to be a bit too sour and animalistic.

I so love this and was fortunate to find it. I think a little goes a long way and less on means I'll enjoy it better. :P

ADDITION: After wearing this for about a couple of hours, I started to get all hot and bothered. I knew my mood was coming from the scent. It's like when you're in love for the very first time and you get all tingly looking at your love. It was like that, with a jolt of sexual tension. I have seriously never experienced such an extreme reaction to any scent...ever! It really makes me wonder if Beth slipped in some pheromones!! :D

Edited by Rheliwen

First sniff: Oh, swoon. This is a warm soft bearhug musk, just dark enough to remind me of body heat.

Wearing: It’s a perfect skin scent. I can’t explain what it smells like – I just know I smell really damn good.

at first: a dark, thick, heavy musk.

on: about the same as in the imp.

1 hour later: heavy, sweet musk

2 hours later: sweet, soft, and powdery musk.

overall: this is amazing once it dries. amazing stuff.

In the bottle: Warm, heavy, sexy musk with a hint of something fizzy and sweet. Mmm. It's a very comforting scent to sniff.

On my skin: Wow, this is neat. It's a lot lighter than in the bottle and reminds me of Snake Oil, but lighter and absent of vanilla. I would definitely bet this is in that blend. It's also kind of powdery and amber-scented as well. God, this is just so gorgeous! By far, this is the most wearable of the single notes I've tried.

This one gets two very big thumbs up!

Wet, this starts out with a sharpness that reminds me of both lavendar and vertiver, but mellows to something that reminds me of amber mixed with a hint of vertiver. And there is something sexy about it. I'm not so sure I care for it on me, but I think I really want to try it on my boy. Except that I only have the one teensy imp of it and would rather not get bummed when it's gone. My boy can slather like there's no tommorrow! A conundrum. I wish this were a listed note in some of the fragrances. I'd love to try this layered with other things. I wonder if this is in snow moon. I think the scents would be complimentary.

Ultimately though, it does fade kind of quickly. An hour later it's pretty light. Still a nifty scent.

Siberian Musk - This is very similar to Red Musk, only lighter. It's still a dark, juicy, sweet and warm musk, but not as heavy as Red Musk. As I smell this musk, I can instantly recognize its use in Smut (I'm also positive Red Musk is in Smut). It's also possibly used in Snake Oil -- and maybe the reason why I can layer Snake Oil and Smut so well together! This scent is very strong and a little goes a very long way. It also lasts for several hours, which is quite unusual for a single note, although the lovely level of throw fades after about 90 minutes. I do notice, however, that around the 3-4 hour point, the scent has gotten so sweet that it begins to smell a lot like root beer, but it's still very nice and pretty. I'm so glad I got to try this and I will treasure what little I have left. This is a single note that can be worn very, very well on i ts own.

In Bottle: Sweet dark musk

On Skin: Um, yum!!!! I love musks, especially when they’re sweet. Siberian Musk is my favorite so far, it’s so deep and sexy. It has decided it is going to be best friends with my skin. I seriously cannot explain how drop dead sexy this is on me. It’s the same love at first sniff I had with Honey single note, it just “works”. It’s also slightly masculine which I like because it makes it seem much more destinctive and powerful. No weak woman would wear this, this is a strong woman’s scent. It’s also quite resinous, soft and wickedly sweet. I love that it’s a skin musk, those seem to really blend with my chemistry and feel almost natural. It has an average throw and wear length. I really need to find a bottle of this.

I've been playing around with my wee imp of Siberian Musk over the last several weeks, trying it out on myself and my boy. It smells very off on my skin, but not as bad on him.

Siberian Musk might be the note that I hated in Snake Oil. It has a nauseating sort of sweetness on me that reminds me of the way that greasy hair smells. Oily and slightly powdery. It's so strong on me and makes me kind of sick. The boy said, "This makes you smell dirty... in a bad way."

On the boy, this is much better. It clings close and has a hint of sweetness, a hint of powder, and a darkly sensual muskiness. Unfortunately, it's not his cup of tea either. Perhaps we just aren't musk people, lol.

Siberian Musk

To me this is masculine. I recognize it from other BPAL, but cannot place the exact scents. On me it isn't a warm, skin scent. More of a cheap cologne scent.

Siberian Musk

In the imp: sweet musk! This reminds me of Smut, EOM and possibly Dragon's Musk, this is a rich, sweet, vanilla like musk, almost like red musk or black musk.

Wet on skin: sweet, rich, dark musk. This is so sexy.

Dry on skin: wow. Just wow. This is a magnificent musk! Deep, rich, dark, sweet, almost incense like, with a vanilla like feel and a feral twist. I wonder now if the what I sometimes detect in scents as a 'black musk' may actually be Siberian musk instead-there's a similarity, this is also slightly like red musk but not as fruity or spicy. I'd say this was between red and black in the musk spectrum.

After a while: the scent gains a slight 'skin' scent to it, but not a light fresh skin scent, this is much sweeter and darker and feral. It's become more rounded now, and slightly more wild as well, but still retaining that vanilla like sweetness. There's something here that very slightly reminds me of some kind of hair product (shampoo from the hairdresser's?), but it's not too strong to be distracting. The throw is impressive as well-I get wafts of almost vanilla-amber sweet dark musk all around, though near the wrist the scent is less sweet.

Verdict: another wonderful musk single note from the Lab. I can see why this is so loved and sorely missed. It's raw and wild musk tempered with sophisticated, sexy sweetness. It's animalistic in the best way-it doesn't smell like an animal's backside but has that feral feel, as well as rich, sweet, vanilla and amber like overtones. This is to me, very similar to both red and black musk but it's also a very different entity to both of those. I still prefer red, white and Egyptian musk, but I think I will become even more attached to this one the more I wear it. This is a unique musk that I've encountered in very few BPAL blends and I would love to see Beth make more Siberian musk scents.

Emoticon rating: :P

Preconceived notions: It's musk. It will hate me. I just know it. White musk is pleasant but often too harsh on me, and red musk, while so lovely to sniff, can only occasionally be coaxed into behaving the same way on my skin. I grabbed this because I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

Scent: in the imp, it's :D beautiful. It's not an I-am-animal-sweat-from-/sex/ smell like a lot of darker musks go on me, although it's definately a dark scent... this is almost too velvety and spicy to be a musk. It could be a perfume in itself. As it dries the spiciness comes out more, and it sweetens, developing almost a powderiness after half an hour that reminds me of the way amber goes on my skin (except a touch sweeter, maybe not in a good way).

Tone: It's the best part of Snake Oil but without the Snake Oil, velvet-soft and sensual and sexy without the screeching scentedness that Snake Oil has. Don't get me wrong, it took me a while but I've definately come around to SO -- but if this was available in bottle form it'd replace my year-old Snake Oil in a heartbeat. This is definately in SO and probably in Snake Charmer as well, and I wish it was in more blends; it's a very distinctive spicy musk that slinks and smells exotic, but in its SN form doesn't scream perfume!

Verdict: :P it's beautiful! Really, it's gorgeous. And if I had a bottle, I'd want to wear it every day in winter and surround myself with it -- in fact, if I could buy bottles of this stuff, I might just ditch most of my collection and wear it every day. But I don't have a bottle, I have an imp, and that's where things get tetchy, because if I love and cherish an imp too much I never end up wearing it. So unfortunately, this one may just be too gorgeous for me to keep around.

But it is /stunning/. Heartily reccomended to people who love musk and hate musk, and who love Snake Oil and hate Snake Oil. *for the record, this is a note that becomes more prominent in aged SO than fresh SO, to my nose, so if you like this musk bear that in mind :D

Oh my this is dark. In the bottle, no light passes through the oil, it is just black.

On my wrist the oil is very dark brown and thick...

:P

YUM!!! OMG, I think this is the note that made Cracked Bell so beloved to me. Oh heaven, I am so glad to have found this. It is extremely powerful, I am going to have to remember to use it sparingly. This note is among my favorites in BPAL, it is so rich and exotic. I know it's a single note, but damn if I don't smell some woods lingering around in this. Extraordinarily beautiful. :D

This starts off as a complex sweet dark musk with a bit of red musk. It settles into an incensey, deep, dark, sexy exotic musk. It has similarities to some of those sweet, dark musky blends like WILF, Panther Moon and Male Nude, Arms Upstretched.

Okay, so this one is reminiscent of the 2012 Siberian Musk SN (or perhaps better said, the 2012 SN has distinct similarities with original SN).

This one is a dark, syrupy, oil as well. It is however, because of the aging, has a softer edge to it. It's a heavy musk, with a slightly light powdery floral edge to it. Whereas the 2012 version was STRAIGHT UP sexy musk and I found it unwearable by itself, this one (and I'm assuming because it is aged) you can almost pull off. At this point, you can smell more complexities in the musk and something that reminds me to Dior's Poison.

Heavy, sophisticated, sexual.