Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
friendthegirl

Suggestions for scents based on the 4 elements

After ShriekingViolet oh so kindly did a quick chart for me, and in another thread, some people were actually talking about what scents they like based on their element(s).

What scents/perfumes would go well with each of the elements?

ETA: It would be great if there were suggestions beyond the celestials.

Edited by ivyandpeony

Do you mean the elements like earth, air, fire, and water?

There's the Dark Elements section, if that's what you mean.

How does one know what element one is?

Or do you mean like the periodic table of elements?

Excuse my dumbness on this - I don't know much about this kind of stuff. I know my astrological sign and that's it.

Edited by ladylatemar

I meant the four elements. I think the 12 signs are divided 4 ways and each sign fits into an element. I know mine is fire and that's all I really know. Many of the people here are more educated on astrology than I am.

The 12 signs are split into 4 elements

Fire-Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius

Earth-Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn

Air-Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius

Water-Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces

I think you should look for scents with some sort of characteristic towards your sign's element. Like if you are a Virgo, go for a green, earthy scent. Or if an Aries, something spicy and incendiary.

i ordered all four of the "dark elements" oils in my last batch, having only smelled "burial" previously and curious as to how the rest were... i can't say that all four of them exactly "match" my personal concept of "what the elements smell like" - i think i want "hurricane" to smell less... WET, somehow.

but of course if they did exactly replicate my imaginings, i'd be frightened and confused. heh.

"burial" - and my sun IS in capricorn, an earth sign, so i may well be biased - is almost the ideal "earth" scent, though. i *do* have a fondness for dark murky scents - whether or not this can be blamed on my sun sign, i am not sure - but i wear things similar to "burial" - and "saturn" for that matter - frequently, without feeling smothered/overpowered by them (as i know some people do - then, those people can wear those light pretty florals that are OH so wrong on me..)

hopefully i will write proper reviews of these - i'm trying to wait until i've used them in a non-perfume capacity before i do so, though.

i was initially leery of "inferno" because it smells like cinnamon candy in the bottle. i realise this can't be helped. however, worn, it's quite different, on me, much more complicated.

i'd be interested to know how the tarot aces oils compare to these, but i haven't any of those. in theory, they should echo each other, so long as one agrees on which suit = which element. anyone have a thought on this?

gah. reading back through this it is ridiculously disjointed and babbly. hopefully it made at least SOME sense and was maybe even faintly helpful, but probably not.

best

eve

I've only smelled the ace of pentacles out of the tarot aces, but it's VERY earthy.

As for which fragrances go with which elements, I think that might vary from person to person, though some are pretty easy to associate. I think just about everyone associates cinnamon, clove or other heavy spice notes with fire, while wood notes (like patchouli, redwood, sandalwood) give earth vibes. But I think most scents don't fall directly under one element or the other.

i'm sure it DOES vary from person to person - doesn't everything? - but of course one COULD be all doctrinaire about it: things-which-produce-aromas which are traditionally held to be associated with each element (or ruled by a planet associated with said element, or.. etc..) -- are their scents associated in one's head with that element because one spends too much time memorizing tables of correspondences, or is there some more concrete and sensible connection? i.e., something "hard-wired" in one's brain that smells cinnamon and thinks of fire - or of "fiery" sorts of things?

fulltiltredhead, are you reading this? sorry to borrow so liberally from our conversation of the other night without being sufficiently awake to give credit properly...

best

eve

are their scents associated in one's head with that element because one spends too much time memorizing tables of correspondences, or is there some more concrete and sensible connection? i.e., something "hard-wired" in one's brain that smells cinnamon and thinks of fire - or of "fiery" sorts of things?

Well in the case of spices, I have to say that it's definitely nature over nurture. LOL I'm sure the burning sensation spicy foods can cause on tongues make the element's argument pretty strong. A lot of spicy oils are also common skin irritants, so when someone experiences an awful tingly sensation and has to run to wash the oil off, that further cements the connection.

I think in most cases, it's practical associations rather than traditional, since you do hear reviewers who probably have not spent too much time studying elemental correspondence tables use the words airy, fiery, earthy and watery.

I've read reviews of Graveyard Dirt being the scent of pure, wet soil; I have a friend who is studying the elements and I'd love to make a four-pack for her of the elements as scents. Can any of you recommend scents for water, air, and fire? I'd like to, as best as possible, give her a BPAL that comes close to smelling like the element. Thanks for any suggestions!

audra

Second the dark elements suggestions, and though more expensive, the tarot aces would be a good gift (or purchase if she ends up buying for herself) as well. The ace carries the purest energy of their suit, and traditionally, each suit corresponds with an element. I've tried two of them (Pentacles and Cups) and both were beautiful translations of the elements they correspond with's energy into scent.

Second the dark elements suggestions, and though more expensive, the tarot aces would be a good gift (or purchase if she ends up buying for herself) as well.  The ace carries the purest energy of their suit, and traditionally, each suit corresponds with an element.  I've tried two of them (Pentacles and Cups) and both were beautiful translations of the elements they correspond with's energy into scent.

That's a great suggestion, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Also, I heart your icon. I love me some A.C.

Actually, I heard that Beth once made 4 elemental oils as a set? maybe it was a custom set from a while back? :P Don't know any details though...

Earth:

Burial

Zombi

Graveyard Dirt

Tarot: Ace of Pentacles

and I actually find Malediction to be extremely earthy.

Magdalene and Machu Picchu have an airy quality to me.

Nefertiti and Nemesis remind me of water without being strictly aquatic.

I haven't tried many fiery blends, but Faustus could be the blue flame that burns when ghosts are around. Hellfire is like the smoke from a fire.

The earthiest blends I've tried are probably The Caterpillar and Greed.

R'Lyeh for water and Lightning for air. Zombi is also very earthy, if she doesn't mind roses. I haven't tried any of Beths really firey blends yet, but Eclipse could work. It's fairly smokey and cinnamony.

Bumping this thread because I'm suddenly becoming very interested in using scent to meditate on the energy of the elements.

I've got water well covered, between Storm Moon and Kingsport. Queen of Clubs sounds marvelous for earth, and I'm trying desperately to get my hands on some to try. Yog-Sothoth or Niflheim could be air, I think? Stumped on fire. I've tried Inferno and it was just way too almondy.

I would think Storm Moon would be better as an air scent. As for fire, maybe the Living Flame or Red Devil?

Bumping this thread because I'm suddenly becoming very interested in using scent to meditate on the energy of the elements.

I've got water well covered, between Storm Moon and Kingsport.  Queen of Clubs sounds marvelous for earth, and I'm trying desperately to get my hands on some to try.    Yog-Sothoth or Niflheim could be air, I think?  Stumped on fire.  I've tried Inferno and it was just way too almondy.

Are you thinking of "fire" as hot-spicy, or smokey? I think any of the heavily cinnamon/clove/pepper ones would be great for the former (vaguely wonders when Three Witches might be available again...mmmm); if it's more smokey... hmm. Brimstone or Djinn?

As for air, Dirty seemed airy to me, as do some of the lighter florals like the Niflheim you mention and Pele. Lightning or Thunderbird might also be good, but ozone is more of a water-note to my nose.

I would think Storm Moon would be better as an air scent. As for fire, maybe the Living Flame or Red Devil?

The Living Flame is sheerly flowers on me. FLowers *I* can wear, but still.

Tarot: The Sun for fire maybe? Chimera? Hamadryad?

When I think of the element Fire I think of Djinn first...which would be in the smoke, ashes type of fire category. But that's because I don't like cinnamon. :P Though the "spicy" kind of fire makes me think of Wrath actually, which was one of those that actually physically burns my skin. eep!

Sign in to follow this