Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The scent of tea - BPAL's tea note, BPAL blends like your favorite tea

I bet kumiho would be good layered with one of the vanilla+ mints, like green tea viper. I don't do most mints, so I'm not the best judge, but kumiho is one of the loveliest teas in the catalog and the scent mixer in my brain thinks it'd go well with, say aged green tea viper.

*attempting to resurrect the discussion, because I have a craving for tea blends* I thought Mrs Gorse, from the 2012 Yules, was a very successful black tea blend.

*attempting to resurrect the discussion, because I have a craving for tea blends* I thought Mrs Gorse, from the 2012 Yules, was a very successful black tea blend.

Indeed! The Sound of Insects from the Luper update is also a very nice tea blend :wub2:

Indeed! The Sound of Insects from the Luper update is also a very nice tea blend :wub2:

Oh, this gives me hope, I love tea notes, but usually they end up blended with things that don't work well at all. Insects didn't seen to have any death notes.

Quaeris Quot from the new Lupers was a tea-like scent for me. Very bright and refreshing.

Yes yes yes! Mrs Grose is perfume black teaish on me.

Pepper, Alice & White Rabbit are milky sweet black tea scents on me.

A lot of the Shunga/Japanese cherry/plum/peach blossom + green, lemon notes come out green tea-scented too. Probably why I can't bring myself to get rid of The Spell of Amorous Love even though my skin eats it.

Shadwell sounds nice, but The East I just get flowers and faraway spices though some mention tea overtones.

I wonder how the Lupers with tea this year will compare to other tea-type scents! It looks like we have:

Diversions in the Chashitsu

Green tea, yellow sandalwood, apple blossom, and white bamboo.

Koito and Sashichi

Green tea, tobacco absolute, and agarwood.

Treasure Ship Coming In

King mandarin, green mint, green tea leaf, and white musk.

Furo

Black tea, bergamot, red patchouli, peru balsam, and bourbon vanilla.

Lovers in the Tea House

Sake and matcha tea with amber incense, golden sandalwood, and yōkan.

And at the post:

Female Beauty in Spiderweb Kimono Home & Linen Spray

White fig, tea leaves, oakmoss, and lilac blossoms.

A Peculiar Game of Shoji Bath Oil

Rosewood, red currant, green tea, and caramelized sugar.

Prelude to the Bath Bath Oil

White tea, golden apricot, and orange blossom.

The Shining Dimple of Love Bath Oil

Vanilla orchid, vanilla absolute, and black tea leaf.

Wow, that's a lot!

I also really enjoyed Eldritch Drunken Constellations from the Yules this year--it's not really tea-like, but it does have that bright freshness I enjoy so much from the other white tea blends like Kumiho, only it's saltier, softer, and sweeter in some ways; I get both the sense of a fresh bright sort of sap and ambergris/ocean saltiness along with the crisp white tea. It didn't unseat Kumiho as my favorite tea blend, but it's really nice.

Yes, I'm very excited to try all the gorgeous sounding Shungas this year. I really love tea in my perfumes, especially when it's dirtied up a bit with darker notes. I'm thinking Koito and Sashichi might hit that spot in particular with the tobacco.

I have Eldritch Drunken Constellations on my wish list - it sounds lovely, especially since I have a weakness for ambergris.

Another scent I'm happy to mention here: Nefarious Plan, a recent BPTP bath oil in the naughty/nice series. I wear it as a perfume and I'm *so* glad I took a chance with it because it's seriously sex in a bottle. The tea leaf is front and center. Smells exactly like the real deal but it's also warm and sugary and ugh. Amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a sugared, rich but raw sort of tea blend.

Normaslly their aren't that many Lupers that interest me (except for the year they did all the Ares scents), but there are so many exciting looking tea scents in the Shungas this year. Damn!

Has anyone around here gotten Time's Infliction of Eternity? I've found the tea note to be rather prominent- it's like a pure mix of black tea and dragon's blood on me. It feels a bit light for late winter, but I have a feeling I'll favor it more in another month when spring arrives.

I'm on the hunt, also, for a smoky tea scent, something like Lapsang Souchong or Thai Iced Tea- can anyone make any recommendations for those?

Yes, I'm very excited to try all the gorgeous sounding Shungas this year. I really love tea in my perfumes, especially when it's dirtied up a bit with darker notes. I'm thinking Koito and Sashichi might hit that spot in particular with the tobacco.

I have Eldritch Drunken Constellations on my wish list - it sounds lovely, especially since I have a weakness for ambergris.

Another scent I'm happy to mention here: Nefarious Plan, a recent BPTP bath oil in the naughty/nice series. I wear it as a perfume and I'm *so* glad I took a chance with it because it's seriously sex in a bottle. The tea leaf is front and center. Smells exactly like the real deal but it's also warm and sugary and ugh. Amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a sugared, rich but raw sort of tea blend.

I have to say, I loved Eldritch Drunken Constellations. Salty and warm with the ambergris, a sweet sappy note and then the bright freshness of the white tea? Kumiho is still my favorite BPAL, but Eldritch Drunken Constellations shot up there just below it, and I don't find them too similar at all--the same family, but definitely distinct. The ambergris makes Eldritch Drunken Constellations so different, and I think it's sweeter.

I kept eyeing Nefarious Plan! That sounds just delicious, wow. It might be a little late to get some now, but there's always the forums, I suppose! I'm thinking about looking now. Maaaybe. You make it sound so good.

Koito and Sashichi sounds so interesting, I agree! It's a really interesting combo. My initial round of buying was for Lovers in the Tea House--I'll try it soon and post a review! I'm also really eyeing Diversions in the Chashitsu and The Shining Dimple of Love bath oil from the Trading Post.

I agree--there are so many exciting looking tea scents this year!

In terms of smoky or Thai tea esque scents:

Maybe Famine, for Lapsang Souchong?

Sleek black tea, tobacco leaf, frankincense, lilac, and white musk.

Maybe Ashlultum (from Carnaval Diabolique):

Babylonian musk, vanilla tea, tonka, tobacco, coconut, hyssop, and lilac.

I feel like there should be some others that aren't coming to mind.

I haven't tried it, but Shadwell might mimic Thai Tea with the condensed milk + tea + other things.

Roll-ups, mildewed raincoat, sweet tea, and condensed milk.

Maybe Sudha Segara?

Sweet milk and warm, healing ginger with a touch of golden honey and our blend of Ambrosia.

I feel like Tea might also work, though it's LE:

Darjeeling tea, lemon verbena, star anise, and honeycomb.

Or Clemence (also from CD):

Patchouli, Kashmiri tea, cardamom, black pepper, carnation, and clove. (Though that might be more chai tea.)

I hope at least one of those works a bit, hmm. Now I want to go looking! Sadly I haven't tried Time's Infliction of Eternity, though I love both tea and dragon's blood!

Edited by Sakura Tsukikage

I can't speak for the other Lupers, but Lovers in the Tea house is more of a lemon blossom-y amber with a little sake than matcha tea. It is there, but the tea gives more of a refreshing tinge to it than anything else.

Although, from a single review, I heard that Furo from the Shungas smells like straight black tea with a breath of bergamont. I'd wait for more reviews before trying it, but perhaps it's the tea note I'm looking for.

I love Shadwell, but it's not even close to Thai Tea. So sorry.

Haha, fair enough! It was just a thought. :P I was thinking there probably isn't one that's too close--though a thick, milky sweet tea would probably fit that vibe, I can't really think of a scent like that that doesn't skew in some other direction. Maybe layering Dorian or another strong tea-scent with Obatala, or something. Something milky-sweet would probably fill that fit better than something strictly tea-like, since tea usually smells so fresh and bright in perfume.

Edited by Sakura Tsukikage

I love Shadwell, but it's not even close to Thai Tea. So sorry.

Haha, fair enough! It was just a thought. :P I was thinking there probably isn't one that's too close--though a thick, milky sweet tea would probably fit that vibe, I can't really think of a scent like that that doesn't skew in some other direction. Maybe layering Dorian or another strong tea-scent with Obatala, or something. Something milky-sweet would probably fill that fit better than something strictly tea-like, since tea usually smells so fresh and bright in perfume.

If you had something smokey to layer with the Shadwell, it would be closer.

Edited by Gwydion

I can't speak for the other Lupers, but Lovers in the Tea house is more of a lemon blossom-y amber with a little sake than matcha tea. It is there, but the tea gives more of a refreshing tinge to it than anything else.

Although, from a single review, I heard that Furo from the Shungas smells like straight black tea with a breath of bergamont. I'd wait for more reviews before trying it, but perhaps it's the tea note I'm looking for.

Furo is so lovely. I rarely get backups, but I think I might need one more bottle! It's one of the most delicate black tea blends I've tried from BPAL, truly a lightly sweet black tea with a twist of bergamot.

Koito and Sashichi

Green tea, tobacco absolute, and agarwood

I think this is the one for me, based on reviews......maybe buying a bottle before they go down. I realized today that except for F5, there is a serious lack of fresh green tea scents in my collection. I couldn't even find imps of Embalming Fluid or Shanghai. This must be remedied!

I finally started looking at tea scents. Tried Shanghai and Time's Infliction so far, Shanghai turned to soap on me but I'm really liking Time's Infliction. It gets a sort of creaminess to it after a while that was unexpected but very nice.

Looking forward to getting sniffs of the Shungas with the tea notes at WC before I decide which tea to pick up a bottle of.

What tea scent smells closest to a chai tea latte? Any one? I haven't tried many tea scents and was wondering. Loved Teatime in Roswell though just fyi. :yum:

Hm, chai tea latte? I'm not sure, but Pumpkin Masala Rooibos has a bunch of classical chai spices in it, as well as rooibos red tea. But then again, it also has pumpkin. And no milky notes. I'm not sure that's what you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. :D

What tea scent smells closest to a chai tea latte? Any one? I haven't tried many tea scents and was wondering. Loved Teatime in Roswell though just fyi. :yum:

Bezoar and Bengal. Both of them smell very, very much like chai. Bengal is sweeter/creamier so that's probably the one I'd go with for the "latte" aspect.

Also, I was surprisingly underwhelmed by all the tea blends from the Lupers this year. Usually I love them, and I thought I'd find something for sure this go around, but nope. For some reason they all lacked complexity on me. Koito and Sashichi was a good single note green tea, but nothing wowed me.

I did get a decant of Eldritch Drunken Constellations recently, so hoping that will work out instead!