Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The scent of tea - BPAL's tea note, BPAL blends like your favorite tea

I am fairly obsessed with earl grey tea and I just adore the aroma -- are there are BPAL fragrances that could be said to smell like it other than Severin? I see that it includes a leather note, but I'd prefer just straight tea and bergamot or citrus, without the leather. I haven't seen anything in my browsing but I could have easily missed it!

Thank you! :P

I would also love more variations of the Earl Grey theme, but I'm afraid Severin is all there is at the moment. Have you actually tried Severin? I don't find the leather very prominent or forbidding, it's really a lovely blend that captures the essence of Earl Grey. Somebody said it reminded them of Captain Picard with a riding crop in the episode Starship Mine, and I agree! :P

I haven't tried Severin yet, I wasn't sure about the leather but if it blends well perhaps I will check it out! :P

Hmmm....

Maybe try Baobhan Sith? Probably not really what you're going for but it's mostly tea/grapefruit. (And I realize grapefruit isn't even close to being bergamot)

I'd love this combo as well.

Yeah, unfortunately there are a lot of tea based scents out there, but none of them are quite dark enough to simulate Earl Grey (unless you count Aizen-Myoo...which as more fruit than it sounds like you're looking for). But give Severin a try. It might work.

I love tea scents as well... So far what I really like is old shanghai, embaulming fluid & the dormouse. I have not tried severin, but it sounds good. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Thank you for all the great tips! I think I will try Dormouse for sure and many of the other ones suggested. Yay! :P

I like tea scents, particularly an Earl Grey Tea spray that I have (I believe it's from Demeter). I prefer wearing oils though.

What are some good tea scents that aren't overly strong, sweet, gardeny, or fruity? I tried doing a search, but appearantly you can't search for three letter words, and thus no searching for tea.

Thanks!

My favourite tea scent in the BPAL catalog is Kumiho (white tea and ginger), but some people find the ginger note too strong. My next favourite is Maiden, which is white tea, Damask rose and carnation - however, if you're not fond of florals, you might not like this one.

So.....I want to go ahead and recommend Embalming Fluid. While Embalming Fluid is very similar to Shanghai, it's different (and in my opinion better) in several ways. The first is that Shanghai has honeysuckle, which makes it sweeter and more floral than Embalming Fluid (since you mentioned that you wanted a non-gardeny scent, I figured this would be a good thing to point out). Anyhow, Embalming Fluid is more clean and fresh smelling, and tends to make me feel very relaxed.

Phantasm is similar to both Shanghai and Embalming Fluid (and is another of my favorites), but is both floral (due to the jasmine) and unfortunately doesn't last very long.

Severin is a *wonderful* tea scent. I can't really recommend it enough.

I really like Shanghai, and I didn't think it was /that/ floral, just a little sweet from the Honeysuckle.

This may be totally cracked out, but I found Sudha Segara to be slightly tea-ish; I may be getting that from the ginger or something.

White Rabbit has tea, and I'm dying to try it. The reviews sound like the tea does come out.

Sudha Segara... smells like chai to me, it's very light and lovely. No garden notes there, no florals, nothing. just ginger and a sweet-ish creamy note - it's my casual wear scent.

I like tea scents, particularly an Earl Grey Tea spray that I have (I believe it's from Demeter). I prefer wearing oils though.

What are some good tea scents that aren't overly strong, sweet, gardeny, or fruity? I tried doing a search, but appearantly you can't search for three letter words, and thus no searching for tea.

Thanks!

I was just searching for a "best tea" thread and found this one; sounds like the same type tea scent I'm looking for. Not a sugary-fruity-spicy-vanilla-flavored kind of tea, just a regular cuppa with that brisk Lipton smell!

To those of you who've tried most of them, which of the tea scents smells the most like a cup of strong black tea or Earl Grey (I do like bergamot), as the dominant note? Dorian? Severin? White Rabbit? Dormouse?

Thanks!

How about White Rabbit versus Dorian, which one has more of the black tea smell?

White Rabbit, by far. Dorian is more like sweet lemon tea, at least to my nose.