Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ink of Pomegranates. 

Edited by Jenjin

If you enjoy bpal's ink and pomegranate notes, this is an obvious win. I cannot stop sniffing the back of my hands...quite addictive. Not too sweet, candied yet mellow. This might be my favorite of the Yules I chose. That ink note goes perfectly with pomegranate. There is something extra going on here that I cannot explain but it is fantastic. I will watch reviews to see if someone else can explain the 1+1=3!

Edited by HerbGirl

To you, A— my sweet-skinned muse,  I send poems of love on fragrant winds. For on my island, alone as I am with the sea and the shore, I have unearthed a perfume that echoes the pomegranate’s song, a tale Pausanias dared not speak. It bursts forth in song, a chorus of rubies– the fruit’s jeweled heart exposed to the sky, laughter spills from its crimson chalice, sweet and bright as nectar. But within this mirth, A—  a shadow stirs. Inky tendrils, like dark riddles murmured in moonlit caves, coil around the light. It is the scent of ancient papyrus, of leather-bound tales, a smoky inkwell, where myths swim in obsidian depths, their truths veiled in darkness.  This is the pomegranate’s paradox, a goddess with twin faces. One wreathed in sunlight, her cheeks blushing with scarlet wine, the other draped in midnight, her eyes holding the shadows of the world. And oh, deepest blood of my heart, oh how my fingers yearn to trace the mysteries etched in this ink! To brush away the shadows and glimpse the stories secreted within. For here, in bright sun and cool midnight, I see our love reflected. Come, A— let us follow the hidden path, hand in hand, and unravel this strange fruit’s music. Let us become the ink and the parchment, the sun and the shadows, and write our own tale—

Pomegranate with a strength behind it, like a less-smoky vetiver or maybe an aged patchouli. I love the dry-down, which brings out a rich honey undertone.

Pomegranate is present as an accent in some of my favorite BPAL scents, but I can't think of a pom-forward one I've ever reached for regularly, purely based on personal taste. This one broke through!

In the bottle, the juicy sweetness of the pomegranate has the legs effectively swept out from under it by an undercurrent of inky darkness. It is actually reminiscent of ink, as in an industrial product, dry and almost clinical. That was exciting to me, since it's not the fruit juice blast I'm chasing here. So, on the skin it goes!

Immediately this becomes a rumbling, deep stormcloud of scent, bleeding purple and red around the edges. The dark side of this scent opens up, revealing several thick resinous layers... but I can understand why folks might have a hard time naming them or teasing them apart. Frankincense? Opoponax? Opium? Black amber? I have no receipts. Whatever it is, it continues holding back the sweetness and juiciness throughout the drydown, keeping the scent heavy and dramatic but allowing just a bit of razzle dazzle -- like rubies TRYING to sparkle against black velvet. Surprisingly mellow underneath the forbidding exterior, like most things goth.

I've been wearing it all week! I can't stop.

This. Scent. :thud:

So. My past experience with pomegranate notes has been extremely hit or miss. Fruit notes all too frequently go full plastic on me, alas. Even when a fruit doesn't go off the deep end, I'm lucky to get anything other than fruit candy(ish) from the equation (Strawberries Moon and Suf notwithstanding).

But there's that Ink to consider.

Full disclosure: if you've ever wondered to yourself, "Who the HELL was interested in an India Ink Single Note, anyway?!" allow me to introduce myself, for *I* am that person. I am *SO* that person that I have BACKUP bottles of India Ink single note (and if you've got any you'd like to pawn off? I'm your person, right here ;) ). I don't know if it's so easily explained just that I am, in fact, a visual artist (a visual artist that also ::collects:: bottles of ink at a rate only out-paced by my BPAL collection, thankyouverymuch) but regardless, the ink note is one of those extra-special BPAL mysteries that makes me go, "How does Beth DOOOO that???"

So, you know, I knew I needed to try this at the very least. 

The scent won't be pinned down. When I first sniffed it in the vial, my heart dropped a little cause all I was getting was a vague olfactory sensation of Red Vines. 🤷‍♀️ 

But shortly after application, that ink, that glorious, industrial (to use Failmingo's term) ink: it took me right back to that love-at-first-sniff experience I had when India Ink SN first waltzed into my life and stole a little piece of my dark, smudgy heart.

Even after full dry down, there's so much vacillating between the two points, and no settling between them! Each sniff bring s different countenance, a different configuration on the grayscale (bloodscale? That would be closer in truth, given the two notes. Hmmm...): one sniff, it's almost entirely pomm, with just a hair of metallic ink showing up as an afterthought. The next sniff, 90% ink, the fruit adding just a touch of sweet to smooth out those harsh edges. A sniff after that, and the two are in balance- or, if not in balance then at least in something resembling an uneasy truce.  

But every step (sniff?) of the way, I. Can't. Stop. Smelling. Myself.

So, you know, I'll be getting me some backups for sure.

❤️ 

This one opens with a blast of powdered pomegranate flavored drink. I swear, it's just like something I've tried before. Occasionally it shifts to exactly the smell of Xerox copy ink. Pom is always dominant. Occasionally my brain also thinks the mix of the two scents is pineapple.

It gets less powdered drink mix and more juice as it dries but it is powerfully fruity. The ink never dominates. It's faintly metallic, coal-like. I'd love to smell this ink note in other blends.

Low throw on drydown.

Edit: after resting, this is more juicy less drink mix or "granular" I guess.

Edited by patina

Oh, I love this. It's a very distinct ink note + fresh parchment paper + the sweet tartness of pomegranate juice to my nose. 75% ink, 25% pomegranate, which feels like the perfect ratio.

Bpal's pomegranate note often turns to powdery sweet tarts candy on my skin, but this one isn't doing that at all.  The pom here is deep red, very juicy, sweet, and tropical leaning.
The pom smells absolutely edible, lickable, drinkable, while the black ink takes it down a darker, more menacing, gritty, mechanical feeling avenue.  I really enjoy the contrast of the two notes.  It makes for a cool combo, and it's also very strong.  This has tons of throw and lasting power, and it feels like a great scent for a warrior goddess.  I find that it starts off stronger on the ink and then turns to stronger on the pomegranate after a couple hours, but both notes stay very present and noticeable.  I'm glad I took a chance on Pomegranate Ink.  It's not something that I'm going to wear every day, but is definitely something I'd reach for when I want to feel like a warrior goddess and up my confidence.  A fruity gourmand with a dark twist.

Probably my favourite of the Yules. Deep, luscious ruby pomegranate and the lab’s floral tinged inky metallic note. It’s sweet, but not gourmand. The ink is subtle at first, the pomegranate has throw. It reminds me of the pomegranate in Mme Moriarty. Just lovely.

Edited by lilacea

In the bottle: Very fruity, but not sweet, almost like an unsweetened powdered fruit punch. There’s also something dark and earthy in there (I would guess that that is the ink).

On the skin: Its much less fruit punchy, and the earthy, dark, slightly metallic ink note is much more prominent. In fact, I’d say that this is mostly ink with some fruit in the background. I can see why people really like this combination and its very unique, but I don’t think its for me. I think I like the idea of the scent more than the scent itself.